Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many pulpwood logs are needed to fill up a bulkhead flatcar?
I don;t know but I have put over 250 logs on this model so far. I used a piece of plastic wrap to cover the car so I can remove the log stack when complete. bulkhead pulp load (2).JPG
I have to go out and find some more HO log material tomorrow for this story to continue.
bulkhead pulp load (2).JPG

Good evening .

Louis .... Bad conductor ..... Boo ... Hisssss ... Revolting !

Mikey .... The pulpwood project looks time consuming, but it should be realistic when you complete it.

Joe .... I like the Sunset Limited picture.

49993959782_1c21b722fd.jpg

God night, everybody.

TOOT - What is your weather like there in the grasp of Winter?
I don't see you saying much about it?

MIKEY - That pulp load will look so much better than the "plastic" ones!
HA, I know how much wood it takes to fill one! One year at Thanksgiving and Christmas break from college I helped my friend and his father clean-up the cuttings from timber land that his father had cut for pulpwood. They left so much waste that we were able to fill two 40 foot cars. Our logs were only half a width in length - the flats were the slanted type which was good for our short scraps and cutoffs.

Last edited:
I don;t know but I have put over 250 logs on this model so far. I used a piece of plastic wrap to cover the car so I can remove the log stack when complete.View attachment 114255
I have to go out and find some more HO log material tomorrow for this story to continue.View attachment 114255
Mikey, I did one years ago like yours. I'll dig it out and snap a picture. It did take a long time to cut up all of the logs.

Good morning gang!

76° with 90% humidity at 7a.m. Hot (88°) and hooooooomid today, with rain later, staying in the A/C as much as possible at work!

Mikey, I too have a bulkhead flat with "logs". Glad I had a NWSL "chopper" when I did it! Best use I have found for a Christmas tree after the holidays, the "bark" texture of the pine sticks appears scale.

Morning all,

Sunny and 55* this morning. Time for coffee and short stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon, extra bacon. Thanks Flo!

Joe: Good luck with the knee replacement. As having had both a total knee and revision surgery a year later, listen to the Dr. and PT people. My revision (replacement of the replacement) took place for 2 reasons: It is common for people under 50 to have a failure of the "glue" and I didn't do what I was told not to do in the months following. I'm now 10 years past the revision and still doing fine. Still have days where it bothers me, but no where near the bone on bone issues I was having.

TOOT - What is your weather like there in the grasp of Winter?
I don't see you saying much about it?
It's been pretty ordinary really, a few cool days, a bit of rain/showers in the forecast. Official beginning of winter is the start of June. In reality it's normally more like only 2 seasons, with sharp ups or downs at the joints and a bit of phasing in before each. The cold winter winds occur in August in time for the Brisbane agricultural show. Also flu season. They feel the changes more in line with the seasons down in the southern states, getting some colder air at the moment.

Good Morning All. Clear and 62°. Yesterday it eventually dropped to 57° before finally getting to only 86° for a high. A/C was not needed since the house cooled off so much overnight. It will go back into the 90's today with the southerly winds though, a return to somewhat normal. On another positive note, the pool temperature dropped 4° to 85°.
Damn kidney stone kept me up part of the night. I didn't feel it pass but It seems to have moved on, or maybe it's just the three ibuprofen tablets that I took.
Took the SUV in for it's computerized transmission check yesterday and they found a failed sensor. They had to order the part which will be in today and they hope to have it ready later this afternoon. Cost of the test, parts and labor is estimated at $450; plus I am still driving their complimentary loaner car. That's postponing the weekly grocery/beer trek until Friday. While I was in town yesterday, I did go to the local Hobby Lobby for a re-supply of adhesives and hobby paints that I was getting rather low on. This is my first visit to a non-essential business since February. Currently in Texas, masks are required on all employees if they're open to the public. However only about 60% of customers were wearing them. Returned to town later to take my wife to a doctor appointment that took 1 1/2 hours because of "over-booking". There was really only two other patients, but they took a reeaalllly long time with him.

Light breakfast today Flo, just a short stack of blueberry pancakes and a couple of strips of bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress post; Jerome, Patrick, Joe, James, Karl, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Curt, Garry, Louis, Tom.

Once again yesterday I wasn't able to spend a lot of time in the train shed, life again! I cut out a sidewalk from Evergreen sheet styrene and glued it and some additional .040" x .060" strips to the bottom of the Smalltown structure that I am continuing to work on.
06-11-20 001.JPG

06-11-20 002.JPG

Paint shop today.
Over on the other side of the tracks, I have a small passenger station.
06-11-20 003.JPG

I bought this years ago already built from my LHS consignment shelf. Since I don't run passenger trains, I always intended to make a railroad/historical museum with it.
06-11-20 005.JPG
06-11-20 006.JPG

Since it came already assembled, I don't know who made it and never bothered to see if I could find it on the Internet. I added the subtle weathering.

Sherrel - That is a nice structure. I'd love to know if it is a kit. I am not much of a scratchbuilder, but that might be something to try. I have just the spot for it in a future development.
Curt - The figure with the kid on his shoulder came from a Woodland Scenics figure set that my grandson's purchased for me a couple of years ago. They like going to the LHS which is Discount Model Railroads, located just four miles from their home.
Garry -
The Canadian Geese eat grass, and they leave green poop in the driveway
Geese are dumb, there is no grass on driveways!

Everybody have a great day.

I don;t know but I have put over 250 logs on this model so far. I used a piece of plastic wrap to cover the car so I can remove the log stack when complete.View attachment 114255
I have to go out and find some more HO log material tomorrow for this story to continue.View attachment 114255
This is the one I did (still only 9 cars to Go) to match pictures of ones on MRL. It is built "in situ" as it was the only practical method to do it in a reasonable time and is the trial model. It's hollow but it needed short ones glued to the inside in places so light couldn't leach through to reveal that. An inner "roof" was also necessary to support the top runs.
1591881312033.png

Good morning ....

WIllie .... I could make a joke about geee too if you are ready for fowl humor. :rolleyes: Your corner store and your depot look good.

Toot .... Nice job on the load for the bulkhead flatcar. It should be good on a branch line.

Below is the California Zephyr in Burlington, IA. The train did include sleepers from there roads from time to time as you might notice.

46830191645_c620b29871.jpg

Everybody ..... Have a good day.

Howdy Ya'll --
98 was the official high yesterday and at 2 PM the humidity was 10% - a very dry heat!
Today is estimated to be 91 for a high.
The fires day before yesterday at Camp Pendleton burned 7400 acres and was in an area that is used for live-fire exercises. The fire East of us here was extinguished after only 2 acres but burned three small storage-like sheds.

Pardon me while I go and try and drown myself. I had numerous call and put options on stock positions which were scheduled to expire tomorrow (Friday) and which were mostly plus and minus a couple hundred $ from the entry position.
I closed them out yesterday while still holding my stock positions -- and which would have made me close to a 6000 plus profit on a 4000 investment. Today my stocks are getting hit hard ... that's been my timing all year now for three times ... just one or two days off! The calls would have expired worthless = 100% profit. The puts would have protected the downside 100% as they were all in the money.

I'll skip breakfast this morning, FLO -- can't afford it!

Pardon me while I go and try and drown myself. I had numerous call and put options on stock positions which were scheduled to expire tomorrow (Friday) and which were mostly plus and minus a couple hundred $ from the entry position.
I closed them out yesterday while still holding my stock positions -- and which would have made me close to a 6000 plus profit on a 4000 investment. Today my stocks are getting hit hard ... that's been my timing all year now for three times ... just one or two days off! The calls would have expired worthless = 100% profit. The puts would have protected the downside 100% as they were all in the money.

Is this something you were doing yourself or part of a program?

I am not hit as bad but I had a single call I had bought (and should have sold when I was up a small amount yesterday). Now it looks like I'll lose my cost of buying. We'll see how the rest of the day and tomorrow turns out.

My June credit spreads are expiring next week and so far most of them are still good. One is hopelessly bad but today did not make it any worse.

Hopefully you can roll them to recover.

My biggest issue is I need to sell some of the company stock I have for our house project and it took a dive today. Should have sold it earlier this week. The "sell window" closes Monday -- we can only deal in company stock for 45 days out of every quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back