Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone.....Sunny and pleasant in Wisconsin in spite of the Stock Market.

As planned, worked on the CM&N track plan yesterday and ran into some problems with the layout's outline and I need fo re-check some measurements that I took. Also, drawing the radii for curves is harder than I thought it would be for me.

Finished with the State and Federal taxes this morning and other than writing a check to the FED, the taxes are ready to mail.

My biggest issue is I need to sell some of the company stock I have for our house project and it took a dive today. Should have sold it earlier this week. The "sell window" closes Monday -- we can only deal in company stock for 45 days out of every quarter.

One company I worked for had its stock drop from the 40's/share down to around .26/share when the company filed for Chapter 11. Some co-workers had been investing for years in the company stock of retirement. The stock recovered to the mid 20's/share. The drop was due to the 2008 financial mess and the company had to re-finance 18 billion in outstanding loans. Once out of bankruptcy, the company repaid all of it outstanding debts. I took all of my stock options in cash and never considered company stock at any time.

Mikey:
This summer I'm planning on cutting scale logs for my 10 pulp cars. I plan on using a piece of foam block to form the insides of the loads. Nice job and really realistic looking!!!

That's all for now.....

Greg

##########################

Pardon me while I go and try and drown myself.
Sherrel:
Are you crying all the way to the bank, again? Ya had to know these clowns would pull the rug out from under everyone, once they got enough pigeons into their trap. The lame excuse...The fear of a resurgence or second wave of Corona Virus...:eek: Like they didn't see this as a result of fast track re-opening??? Screw them and hold your positions...After the last (2008-2009) fiasco, I downloaded a bunch of post mortem books about what happened. It became frighteningly obvious that certain investment bankers were pulling all the strings. The only real way to beat this slime, is not to take their bait. They have destroyed all alternative means of getting a return, so this is the only viable game, unless you go to Santa Anita....o, but all tracks are closed to the public...

Is this really me talking?

Louis: So, who is this new phenom? Not even sure we are going to have a season this year...I severed all sports connected sites due to lack of interest.
Patrick: Thank you for sharing your experience.

Have a great day.

B&O #7 The Diplomat Chicago GCS 9-30-1969.jpg

B&O #7 arriving in Chicago in 1969
B&O Nappanee 8-30-1969.jpg

B&O #6 spotted for departure in Chicago GCT

One company I worked for had its stock drop from the 40's/share down to around .26/share when the company filed for Chapter 11. Some co-workers had been investing for years in the company stock of retirement. The stock recovered to the mid 20's/share. The drop was due to the 2008 financial mess and the company had to re-finance 18 billion in outstanding loans. Once out of bankruptcy, the company repaid all of it outstanding debts. I took all of my stock options in cash and never considered company stock at any time.

That would suck. At least it recovered somewhat.

I don't have an option to take cash or anything. Every year we get allocated a small number of "restricted stock units". 1/3 vest every year (so each year you have 1/3 of each of the previous 3 years allotments vesting). Once vested you have actual shares. No options involved. I don't usually hold it very long as I have cash needs right now to either retire debt, get this house built, or to put in my options for income account to use to generate cash through an options program.

Hopefully it recovers a bit by the end of the day and somewhat tomorrow before I sell (the sell window is closing and I need the money for our house project). It is not a killer but I could be down a grand vs having sold at the beginning of the week, and right now every penny counts.

Afternoon All,

Started with some chores then finished the second modules (8 to go). I need to return to Lowes tomorrow for lumber and bolts. I found one potential issue with the adjustable feet. The pad is hard plastic that slides on the vinyl plank flooring. I'm thinking when all the modules are together and plywood added that it will be heavy enough to stay in place. On the plus side as far as I'm concerned the feet paid for themselves today with the ease of adjustment leveling the two modules together.

Greg and Joe- Glad to help for a change :).

Garry- Thank you. Nice GN train poster and photo.

Louis- Great I1 photo.

Mikey- Those loads are looking really good.

Joe- Nice B&O photos. I urge like others have said to do all the rehab for the knee after surgery. My Mom didn't because it hurt and now her mobility is really bad.

Willie- Sorry to hear about the stone. I really dislike how some providers overbook as if your life doesn't matter. Nice looking station and future sidewalk.

Oops I forgot to download photos. I'll be back in a bit.

I hope everyone has a good night.

How many pulpwood logs are needed to fill up a bulkhead flatcar?
I don;t know but I have put over 250 logs on this model so far. I used a piece of plastic wrap to cover the car so I can remove the log stack when complete.View attachment 114255
I have to go out and find some more HO log material tomorrow for this story to continue.View attachment 114255
Mikey, here is one I did in Texas maybe 1988-ish.
20200611_172638.jpg

Nice B&O photos. I urge like others have said to do all the rehab for the knee after surgery. My Mom didn't because it hurt and now her mobility is really bad.

Curt: Just back from my primary doctors. Cleared for this adventure. Next is a class at the Hospital, next Wednesday, followed by a COVID test on Friday at the Hospital, and a final pre-op visit with the Surgeon, later Friday afternoon. One of the topics to be discussed at that visit, is Physical Therapy and my options. There is no way I would consider having the surgery without an extensive rehab. As soon as I'm able, I have to do the same with the right knee.

My MIL pretty much refused to partake in Physical Therapy after her spinal surgery last December. She considered going for PT was recreational, and she spent her time there being entertained watching others recover. (She acted as though she was on a cruise, and PT was part of the entertainment).
Needless to say, she is wheel chair bound, and doesn't understand why. o_O

B&O #6 Capitol Limited 12-26-1967.jpg

B&O #6 Preparing to depart Chicago 12-26-1967

Jerome- They come 4 to a pack. Each pack has the screws and the hex wrench for adjustment, although because my framework is light I lift the leg a little and adjust by hand. The ledge on the back is 2 inches long with the screw holes close to the edge. They run $15.99 per pack and I bought a total of 16 packs (2 spares).

20200611_174750.jpg

20200611_174739.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jerome- I bought them on Amazon. The name is Heavy Duty Adjustable Furnature Leg Levelers. The distributer is Peachtree Woodworking Supply Inc. The shaft is 3 inches long from the bottom of the foot pad to the top of the shaft.

The site has a drawing with the dimensions. There are several that are more expensive so make sure you get the correct one, unless you like them more of course.:)

Sherrel: When you spend as much time in confined spaces as Curt did, you learn to be well organized. I wish I could be half as organized. I have s**t all over the place.
JOE - ME TOO! I had a NAVY destroyer navigator for a neighbor.
He was about 8-10 years older and now deceased. I would have to take off my shoes before I could enter his garage - You could eat off the floor!

Mikey: This summer I'm planning on cutting scale logs for my 10 pulp cars. I plan on using a piece of foam block to form the insides of the loads. Nice job and really realistic looking!!!
GREG- you are a glutton for punishment!
I spent about 15 minutes this afternoon cutting branches off some small trees.
I'll start cutting into 8 foot lengths tomorrow. I have glued about 350 down so far. I'll take another pic tomorrow.
And this amount is just for one car. A foam center is a smart plan.

Good evening ..

Thanks to everyone who commented and liked my recent posts.

Boris ... I like the photos of B&O in Chicago. I took a trip on the Capital Limited in the early 1960’s from Chicago to Washington. It was a round trip. ... Best wishes to you as you prepare for the surgery. I hope it goes well.

Curt ... The leg level leveller Look well made

I was running trains this evening.....

53C8CF45-3799-4B94-818A-381BF248A63D.jpeg

Everybody.... Have a good night.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 65.
There is a train show about 75 miles away tomorrow. I'm not sure how they are getting around our governor's executive order on gatherings of more than 25 persons, unless they are planning to only allow 25 people in the building at a time, which would mean everybody will be standing around together outside waiting their turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back