Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Today I rearranged my wood and styrene stock into the new set of drawers and did the same for the set of drawers that sit on my work table. Tomorrow son and I will finish the last section of screen on the pool deck.

Garry- That's a bad pun.

Jesse- Thank you. I'm sure you can find some use for them like leased motive power. Nice rail shot.

Willie- Thank you.

Chet- Great looking shifter. You are the engine whisperer!:cool: Interesting rail shot and great layout shots.

Sherrel- Thank you. Phil's doing fine.

I hope everyone has a good night.

A spot I have always enjoyed railfanning. Ronceverte, WV. Typical trains were mostly coal with occasional manifest freights. Have a couple Spurs and sidings here as well. Long since forgotten as nothing is switched here. Not even Amtrak stops here. Saw Mill here is still in operation. But for the most part the town is in shambles and run down. Typical coal boom town that fell apart with the decline of coal.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 155
Chet, are you sure about the quad headlights? I remember the original C series of 1958 ('59 model) having 4 headlights, and the newer ones from the late 1960s and newer having two headlights.

Chet, are you sure about the quad headlights? I remember the original C series of 1958 ('59 model) having 4 headlights, and the newer ones from the late 1960s and newer having two headlights.

The quad headlights came out in 1958. The C series was introduced in 1957 and ran through 1990.

Good evening ...

Chet .... I like the photos of the industries on your layout, and can imagine it would be fun switching the cars to and from the sidings. ....

Your photo with all of the double slip switches reminds me of the ones at Chicago Union Station ..... You can see some in the photo of the California Zephyr departing from Chicago. The double slips switches were heated in the winter.... Notice the E7's would get dirty in the winter.

43596100812_9d1b76c148_b.jpg

Sherell- its not the getting down to the ground that gives me troubles. It's the getting back to my feets that gives me issues.

Good morning y'all. I had a weather report, but it got lost somewhere along the rails. Thanks Karl. See yesterday's report, it's probably close enough.

One day closer to the weekend, which means it is almost time to go to the NC Transportation Museum. They are having a movie car auto show on Saturday. Looking forward to that. I know they have replicas of Lightning McQueen and Mater from Cars, Kitt from Night Rider, and Roscoe's patrol car from Hazard county. While I am looking forward to seeing two of the four, since I watched both of those series in my childhood, I'm very interested to see if the have my favorite movie cars in attendance.

This will also be our first visit back since my son developed his current level of fanaticism over "choo choos", so it ought to be a lot of fun. I've also been given permission to enter the awesome train shop across the street from the museum. My wallet, however, was not granted such privilege.

Y'all have a great day.

Good morning. It's foggy and 69.
My earlier weather report was lost in the distraction of a previous post.

Good Morning Gang. A pleasant 74° and partly cloudy to start the day here. Only made 101° yesterday, today's forecast is only 103°. Seems as if these longer nights are cooling things off somewhat. A line of showers stretches from Albuquerque NM to Wichita KS and is headed this way; doubt that they make it, but forecast is still for thundershowers Monday. One thing about the recent heat, since our house is a pier and beam, the water pipes under the house can be exposed to the air temperatures. Instead of waiting for hot water, it came out of the tap at over 100°. We do have to wait for cold water now until enough water runs out for the underground supply to reach the tap! Usually about 10-12 seconds. Actually got some more minor chores done outside yesterday, before it got too hot; today is grocery/beer trek day so that will occupy much of my morning. Also received notification yesterday that some of our remodeling stuff is ready for pickup so that is part of this mornings trip.
We went out to eat last night at our favorite Italian restaurant, the place we took Sherrel and Kate on their cross-country adventure. Midway through our meal, they moved tables together and sat a group of four adults and nine kids, all between 4 and 13 years old (my guesstimation) right next to us. We shuddered, but they were all so very well behaved that I commended the two couples on my way out. Then on my way out the door, a lady who looked vaguely familiar stopped me and said "Oh! You're the person that we see out walking every morning". After describing her vehicle, I was able to place where I had seen her many times. Technically she lives next door about 1.75 miles north of us, closest house in that direction.
I would post a rail photo, but with our temperatures, folks are wearing less clothing and I might get reported.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains. Moved maybe six trains from one end of the layout to the other, and did switching with two other locals for over a dozen industries. Had one derailment due to a dead cricket under a boxcar. Today, I get to move them all back as I filled the staging yard! I picked out another industry from the stash shelf to start to assemble while I do other scenery work on the layout. Spent some time looking at it and deciding on the color scheme. More on that later. Made note of what remains to be done in the small town business district before calling it complete (it's never really complete). I need to add stripes to a parking lot and add a few more vehicles there and in the streets. I also want to come up with some street name signs, a detail that I don't often see on other layouts; I have none on mine yet either.

Jesse - It's good to have some basket case locos to learn on. I had to learn on new ones when I first started. Still have some of them in the "destroyed" box under the layout. Have a great day at the museum.
Chet - I have over 500 vehicles already on the layout but my towns are not nearly congested enough. At one time a past member of this forum, Larry, the old fart, left RR modeling for an extended time and sold everything. I got 260 from him sight unseen. Most of them are usable; there were some 1:100 ones that I use in background scenes and 46-"custom" vans from Malibu or someone else like that. I have been removing the decals and repainting most of them and lettering them for various businesses. I need more pick up trucks and less convertibles. I know that they are out there, I just haven't opened my wallet yet.
Very nice feature on switching in Churchill, A nice addition to your video. I don't intentionally build any "switching puzzles" or problems into my layout, but there are places that do require some thought ahead of time.
Karl - That would be great to see pictures of Howard's layout taken from a "non-commercial" viewpoint.
Sherrel - I can't beat your one day at 118°, but our recent eleven day string including five in a row above 109° certainly has been warm.

Time to cut it off and return to viewing rail pics. Everybody have a great day.

Sherrel ..... I saw in the news Death Valley was 127 degrees F yesterday.... Does that make you feel better ?

Good morning. 54 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 80's again. Only supposed to be in the upper 70's tomorrow, so that should make mowing a bit more comfortable. Think I'll put that on the "to do" list.

Garry - always like seeing Chicago's Union Station tracks.

Willie
- Not a bad deal getting all of those vehicles even if they need a bit of work. I have tried to get the most accurate model vehicles as I could. Some were a bit pricey, but the quality was excellent. I think I have probably more than I need. Streets are full along with parking lots. My layout isn't that large and modeling a nore rural area, I have probably enough, but you never know.

Ran trains for a while yesterday and this afternoon I think I will head over the pass and run at the club for a while in Livingston.

Here's my rail picture for today. No women unfortunately.

87639.jpg

Later

HOLY TOLEDO, KARL! You trying to wreck my BP already this morning? That sure does look -- comfortable? I have to quote a co-pilot I was with during my "second failure"; He was one of the - how you say - never married types. He made the remark, "The fenders and bumpers are different, but the motor is still the same". For the most part - I think he figured it out early on.

We're back below the century mark today at supposed to be 98 for a high. Have seen a few TRW's up in the hills - don't know if any appreciable moisture fell?
Taking the RV up to Big Bear this morning. Spousal Unit has an outing set up with two of the daughters and three of the Gkids + a few extra friends for the next 4 days. I am going up with her this morning to help her "set up", but will come back Friday evening or Saturday morning.
Doggies are staying home (too many people and crowded) and I really don't want to leave them that long. Foxie, the larger one who is going on 13 had a bout with something and is still moving kind of slower.

Jesse - "Check your wallet at the door"! That's funny! Man, I am tempted to send you a ticket to spend a couple days to work on the yard. I did manage to work on three heads yesterday, but failed on one of them. I need some new parts - I have been trying to recycle old stuff. Biggest problem is that they mostly all need raising 1-2 inches - a real pain!

Willie - Believe it! I was just looking at "Maps"and showing Kate, yesterday, the restaurant where we had dinner. Maybe somewhere down the road we can do it again, but tell you what ... I will stay way away from that Dallas traffic next time. Whoo Boy - as bad as CA Freeways during commute time.

Chet - after Karl's photo - I'd have let the track photo slide today - LOL - plus you are going to have to work hard to beat the previous day!

Garry -- I saw a few 126 days over in Laughlin, NV -- I tell you that is so hot that you have trouble breathing. Trouble is, it does not cool down at night much below 100.

Better git moving.

Good Morning everyone....sunny and nice in Wisconsin.

Karl: Thanks for the Howard Zane update. I have his other videos. It's on my list to visit someday.

Chet: Need to look for some bushings which I should have in one of the parts drawers. Nice track-work for switching moves.

Garry/Chet: I like traveling by train to Chicago and will do in September this coming fall. I used to use the train from Milwaukee to Chicago for meetings at our home office. Better than driving in Chicago traffic at rush hour.

Lots of homework today to keep peace in the family, so no trains. Spent two hours trying to get a spool removed from a off-brand grass trimmer. Once you know how to remove the spool, it's easy. The neighbor kids learned a few new words this morning. Have to get back outside in a few minutes.

That's all for now.

Greg

######################

Willie - i feel the same way about it. If I break one of these, I'm not really out much. But if I can make it better, for cheap, then I have accomplished something and will treasure it more than a brand new "out of the box" unit.

Garry - that's almost as hot as Karl's rail photo.

Chet - it's ok that your pic did not contain a woman. If Karl's sent Sherrel's BP on the rise, you mighta killed him. LOL. And I look at model railroading much like collecting hot rods: Is there such a thing as too many?

Sherrel -I'd have to check with the boss to see if the schedule would allow a trip like that. While I would happily work for trains, I'm sure she would also require some sort of monetary compensation as well. LOL.

Good Afternoon all,

First time I was back on my cell network since Sunday, I’m checking in from a very rainy San Juan.
Have a great day!
40140A3D-FBE3-4358-B4C5-E40D6EAF13AB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back