Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Start the day off at 55 degrees with an expected high in the mid 80's. Liking the retirement. It's nice to have the time to do all of the small chores that have been ignored. Sometimes I don't know what day of the week it is. Spent some time yesterday out working in the shop on some of the old cas and doing yard work.

Jesse - Looks like you'll have your hands full working on those locomotives.

Justin - Like the C&O locomotive.

Terry
- It sounds like Murphy is lurking somewhere close by.

Willie - Excellent work on the store fronts. They really look good. Nice work. The town is really coming together. Most of what we get at Wally World we can get elsewhere at a few cents more and the wife doesn't have to put up with the Walmartians in the store. Sherrel, the Wal Mart parking lot is always full of travel trailers or motor homes. Cheapskates. Grin.gif

Haven't been down in the train room for well over a week to work on projects, but have been slowly painting figures on the work bench. May go down and run trains for a bit later.

Here's a rail picture for today.

xdrT9f.jpg

Later

Have to try and save somewhere, Chet ... 9 MPG costs and all.
Besides, I don't have an ATM bowling machine bank to draw from - congrats!

Liking the retirement. It's nice to have the time to do all of the small chores that have been ignored. Sometimes I don't know what day of the week it is.
Exactly the same here. Many days I have to check with Bill Gates in the lower right corner of the computer to know what day it is!:cool:

Walmartians - I love it! Don't mind if I start to use that term.

Sherrel - I don't disdain anyone who uses WalMart, it just isn't for me.

Jesse - Pictures of the disassembly of Athearn switchers and later model Geeps. I realized after I posted this morning that GP7's - GP35's use a different method, similar to the SD's.
First up is a switcher that I haven't used in 30 years.

07-24-18 008.JPG

That little tab below the motor and one just like it on the other side, engages with
07-24-18 009.JPG

the slot between the walkway and the fuel tank. Pry each side off and the shell slips off easily.

The Geep that I am about to post is a GP50, but all of them from GP38 to GP60 were made the same way.
07-24-18 010.JPG

Those four tabs are disengaged by squeezing the walkway (I mistakenly posted body earlier) and pulling up. It can usually be done one end at a time. They engage in these four slots in the frame. When it's reassembled, the metal handrails that get bowed in when you squeeze have to be bent back out. I believe that plastic handrails are now available for all Athearn models.
07-24-18 011.JPG

Never mind my maintenance sticker on the bottom, it just helps me keep track.
07-24-18 007.JPG

On some geeps I have slightly filed the tabs to make removal a little easier, but not so much as to allow the shell to separate and slide right off when I pick the engine up.
I hope that this helps. Newer models, as I posted earlier, made after 2000 or so, are held together by screws through the coupler boxes.

Sherrel - the rack could be modified with a sawzall and a welder, but then I'd have as much time and money invested as what it would cost to buy the one that fits. It's all good. I'm used to dealing with Murphy as well.

Chet - I do. And the other two are worse. One runs when it wants to and the other barely at all. Not sure of the best course of action just yet. Need to get them apart and see what's inside.

Willie - thanks for the pics. That should help with my task at hand. I know I will have more questions about 1 of the other 2, but it may be similar.

Exactly the same here. Many days I have to check with Bill Gates in the lower right corner of the computer to know what day it is!:cool:

Fellows : It gets worse with time. They are going by so fast that I have to double check to make sure what Month it is! My dad told me about that, but I didn't believe him?

Spent Saturday roaming all over town with MOH hunting for just the right stuff for our remodel. I agree with others - - "Yes, Dear" is the right answer for every question (except the famous, "Does this make me look fat?").
My wife stopped asking after I came up with "No more than normal."

We boated beneath the new bridge new our house today. Workers are painting the bridge. They are on a boom 100' above the deck. I bet they are paid very well.

]
43619360781_e677cc7890_b.jpg

41811197970_91be3119da_b.jpg

Afternoon All,

I'm pretty wore out right now. Today Son-in-Law came over and with the help of son for awhile (had to work) and we replaced 3 screen panels and I have 1 more to do tomorrow on the pool deck. My brother says SIL will be released from the hospital within 2 days and should be in rehab for 2 weeks so I'm tentatively looking at heading up that way on the 5th. My brother says she is doing much better.

The seller on eBay contacted my yesterday and said send him a photo of the station signs and he would replace them, so I did. I thanked him for his customer service.:)

Justin- That's a nice addition.

Terry- I find that generally most people are pretty ridiculous.

Jesse- Looks like a good base to work some magic on. It sounds like a nice trip except for the rack not fitting.

Willie- Really nice modeling on the buildings and all the details.

Chet- Nice track shot.

Garry- No way in Hades!:eek:

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

I'm pretty wore out right now. Today Son-in-Law came over and with the help of son for awhile (had to work) and we replaced 3 screen panels and I have 1 more to do tomorrow on the pool deck. My brother says SIL will be released from the hospital within 2 days and should be in rehab for 2 weeks so I'm tentatively looking at heading up that way on the 5th. My brother says she is doing much better.

The seller on eBay contacted my yesterday and said send him a photo of the station signs and he would replace them, so I did. I thanked him for his customer service.:)

Justin- That's a nice addition.

Terry- I find that generally most people are pretty ridiculous.

Jesse- Looks like a good base to work some magic on. It sounds like a nice trip except for the rack not fitting.

Willie- Really nice modeling on the buildings and all the details.

Chet- Nice track shot.

Garry- No way in Hades!:eek:

I hope everyone has a good night.

It was a good trip, even with the minor inconvenience of being the owner of a rack that is basically useless. My wife loves rocks, not just the pretty ones, but rocks in general. I haven't been able to do much in the way of things specifically for her lately, so it was worth it. And getting her jewelry this way means more to her...and leaves more money for trains! Good to hear about your sister in law. Praying that things go well for her.

I like that, and may use it in the future.

Umm, if nobody hears from me for a few weeks, y'all will know what her response was...

You Sir, are living dangerously! ;) Keep up like this and Mr Murphy will be the least of your worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back