Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was able to salvage the deal on the trailer, in spite of Seagull management's actions. The new owners of the travel trailer are happy, even though it's several thousand dollars lighter in accessories.

You could always wait until management is not looking and raid their offices for some swag to satisfy the buyer. After all, the customer is always right. Right?

Chet - thank you. I'm going to be tearing into my "new" Athearn units soon so I may be hitting you up for specific details on the SW you posted.

Afternoon All,

Well son and I finished the last panel today but it took twice as long as it should, I figured start at the top like you usually do but this panel needed to start from the bottom (weird shape and awkward location). Tomorrow I have to figure out why the auto pool vacuum isn't working. SIL was supposed to be released from the hospital yesterday but still hasn't been cleared by her 2 surgeons. She has a reserved spot at a rehab after she is released. My brother says she continues to do well.

Jesse- I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Willie- I am sorry for your friends loss of his wife.

Justin- Ridiculous price, especially for a dummy unit.

Chet- Great layout and track photos. Your story reminds me of a similar episode at my old club.

Garry- Great layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet, the loco you saw (#705) was an SD35, one of only 3, 701 & 702 being the others, still on the roster. They must be trying really hard to not "borrow" any power from BNSF. To think they actually scrapped those 2 SD45's (301 & 311) virtually just out of overhaul and repainting not long ago. The company is now run by a board, it's founder having retired. Some of them must be moonlighting from where Terry works.

Toot - I never got a look at the entire locomotive. It was just coming to a stop outboard of the BNSF units as I was pulling onto the street and all I could make out was the front of the cab and the number on the number board.

Toot - I never got a look at the entire locomotive. It was just coming to a stop outboard of the BNSF units as I was pulling onto the street and all I could make out was the front of the cab and the number on the number board.
Yes, there's not much of a spotting difference in the cabs between EMD's of that era. I'm lucky I've got a recently updated roster from one of the MRL enthusiast websites to refer to.

Good morning gang
70 and sunny, GF wants to go fishing today :)!
I know a nice place by the RR tracks :cool:
L8ter

Good Morning All. 75° and overcast. The bottom of the rain gauge is wet. but there isn't enough to measure. Scattered showers are all around according to the radar, how much is actually hitting the ground is questionable. We need rain and lots of it. Yesterday afternoon I drove down to the mailbox, 1.25 miles away and it was raining quite steadily there only, but it never made it to here. I actually started walking to there, but changed my mind after going a couple hundred yards. We're now looking at typical early August weather forecasts for the next ten days, finally. Upper 90's with only Sunday predicted to be over 100°. Didn't get to any chores yesterday due to the memorial service for my friend's wife; a typical Catholic luncheon/reception was held afterward. I then spent time with my brother trouble-shooting some derailment issues on his layout. Against my advice from the beginning, he used sectional track and some of it is coming apart. It's his first layout build and he went at it alone because I was still working. He is planning to take it down soon and expand the layout room. After spending $$$ to have decoders put into a Big Boy and an SP Cab Forward, he realized that he cannot run them on 18" radius curves. Currently they sit in the yard and make noise.
By the time I got to the train shed, there wasn't time to do much, so I just got a cold beverage and hit the pool.
I looked back at that engine on EBay that Justin posted about and noted that the seller advertised it as "unopened", yet there it is sitting on top of the box!!!

Chet - Thanks for the additional pictures of the club layout; they are inspirational. That's quite a serene rail photo that you posted yesterday. I'd love to be able to model that.

Kind of a slow day on the whole forum yesterday; must be vacation time or something.
Everybody have a great day and a great weekend.

Good morning ......

Willie .... Your brother will need much wider curves for sure if he is running a Big Boy and a Cab Forward. Even 36" is tight for them.

Curt ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. Prayers and best wishes for your SIL.

Toot .... Interesting MRL is operating SD35's still.... I don't think very many were produced by EMD.

Karl.... Fishing by active RR tracks is better than fishing without RR tracks.

Good morning everyone from deep East Texas. We're on a trip to Houston to work at a convention, and then on vacation for a little while visiting my wife's family in East Texas (yes, that's kind of a nation unto itself, right Willie?)

Had some rain yesterday evening but other than that it's around 100 degrees every day.

Needless to say, no progress in the train room these days. My poor layout must think the engineer died :)

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone from deep East Texas. We're on a trip to Houston to work at a convention, and then on vacation for a little while visiting my wife's family in East Texas (yes, that's kind of a nation unto itself, right Willie?)
Yes it's kind of a nation unto itself. A little geography here. Texas can be considered six nations! East Texas is rainy pine/lake country from Tyler/Longview all the way to the coast to Beaumont/Port Arthur. South Texas and the Gulf Coast is grasslands and coastal regions from Houston/Galeveston and Corpus Christi on down to McAllen on the Mexican Border and west through the Rio Grande Valley/Big Bend area. Then there's West Texas all the way to New Mexico and includes El Paso, Midland and Odessa, which is dry barren desert/oilfields. North Texas including Lubbock and Amarillo is also barren. but it is suitable for dryland farming; it gets bitterly cold up there. North Central Texas is mostly grassy plains that stretches from Wichita Falls and Abilene and goes east to Texarkana and includes Dallas/Ft Worth. This is my general area. Finally there is the Hill Country in the center which includes Waco, Kileen, Austin and San Antonio, a hilly flowery grassland area.

Gentlemen, update on the train room. The last 2-3 weeks it has been +/- 100 degrees in the shop and taping the drywall ceiling has proven to be quite a challenge for this old truckdriver, so it is on hold til it cools a bit. However I did find a craigslist ad for "trains, track bridges, etc. $100. " under electronics. Several locomotives, dozen cars, 36' cork roadbed and code 100 NS flex track, controller, a cubic foot box of wire, buildings, 5 new NuComp mobil home kits & 2 work sheds, 2 new boxes of Woodland scenic trees & shrubbery, bunch of turnouts and so on. Best item in the bunch I guess is a IHC brand 2-8-0 that looks new. 2 boxcars have metal wheels & KD couplers. Some price stickers have dates in 1998. I like making thinks work so this will occupy some of my time til it cools a bit.
PV Dave
IMG_3231 (1).JPG
IMG_3232 (1).JPG
IMG_3244.JPG
IMG_3234 (1).JPG

Toot .... Interesting MRL is operating SD35's still.... I don't think very many were produced by EMD.
When MRL first came into being, it appears they grabbed whatever was around and rebuilt them where necessary. The SD35's have been in storage, awaiting disposal. A couple had previously gone north to that strange land over the border, to SRY, Washington Corp's other railroad.

Good morning y'all. Happy Sunday. 67° and sunny. The summer is flying by, next Wednesday is August.

I spent a portion of yesterday afternoon, fabricating a 2'x4' module for the layout. I also cut the legs out of 2"x2" lumber. Otherwise, not much else going on.

Boris

Hmm...
In the "This isn't good" department, I've learned one of the factories that makes model trains for Bowser, Atlas, Intermountain, Fox Valley, and Trainworx has abruptly gone out of business. There is an announcement on Atlas' website, and I've spoken to a couple friends at two of the other places, and to say things are uncertain at this point is an understatement.

Good Morning All. 75° and partly cloudy. Forecast is for 103° today, only made 101° yesterday. There's no rain in today's forecast, but right now there's a big thunderstorm barreling down through Oklahoma headed in this direction. It may however skirt off to the northeast of me by the time it gets here. Attention Johnny: It's hitting Springfield right now while you are in East Texas.
Looks like my bathroom contractor is returning today, despite there being no shower door yet. Let's see how far he gets. He thinks that he will finish, but I have my doubts; there's a lot of little stuff left to do.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I added a few finishing touches to the business district. I also started assembly of the small factory/warehouse that's going across the tracks in the vicinity of the courthouse. Still thinking about the arrangement of stuff on that side of the tracks other than the court house. In addition to the factory, I have an assembled Atlas kit called "Middlesex Manufacturing" and a low-relief structure made from Walther's modular walls. Additionally, the backdrop makes a 90° corner there that I have to think about. Anywhere from three to five industries will fit in the space. Did I ever post that I like switching industries?

Garry - I concur with the much wider radii for those two engines that my brother has. He's not happy with what he built and regrets not paying more attention to a rough around the walls sketch that I gave him for the room that he has. The room is 13' x 20' and he built a U shaped table layout that has one continuous loop, a trolley, a yard (to show off his engines) and a mining mountain with 5% grades. No industry space is available. All aisles are 22" and track hugs the edge of the layout (less than 1" in most cases) all the way around. All things that I warned him about. Of course I warned him after he built the benchwork and worked out his plan. Visitors have provided him with floor models. As we all know, most first layouts are learning experiences. He didn't have an opportunity to see my layout because I was in the process of building the train shed at the time and I had dismantled most of the old one.
Regarding the SD35's. EMD built 360 of them, almost all of them for eastern railroads with Southern RR purchasing 100.
Dave - Nice haul and an excellent price. The various pieces of track alone are worth the cost. I especially like those NuComp mobile home models, I have seven or eight of them myself. Be warned though that the quality is suspect. The roofs and floors do not fit well and some alterations are needed. Roofs tend to be a bit large and the floors are too small, at least in the ones that I have already assembled.
Terry - That is indeed bad news regarding the factory. Strike two for Atlas. Maybe they should consider moving production back to the good ol' USA.

Time to go. Everybody have a great day, whichever one it is...oh yeah, it's Sunday says Bill Gates.

About the SD35, the only ones purchased by a Western road were 29, bought by Espee, and 10 SDP35 variants bought by UP.

Hmm...
In the "This isn't good" department, I've learned one of the factories that makes model trains for Bowser, Atlas, Intermountain, Fox Valley, and Trainworx has abruptly gone out of business. There is an announcement on Atlas' website, and I've spoken to a couple friends at two of the other places, and to say things are uncertain at this point is an understatement.

Yes, the hazards of outsourcing have reared their ugly head again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back