Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost forgot that today is the 49th anniversary of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969. I was at a freshman orientation for college and watched with about a hundred others in the TV room of the dorm that we were all staying in, on a 21" TV!
I was watching on the TV in my bedroom; it was a set my folks got rid of and I appropriated.

If you ever visit the Air Force museum in Dayton, the Niel Armstrong museum is just north, up I-75. The only exhibit I can definitely remember is Neil's Schwinn bicycle.

Changing the subject, you could add some *real* excitement to your layout with this kit, by using cotton to simulate escaping steam or smoke, with some figures running away:

20180720_165137.jpg

In our case they're not really "fights", I simply don't care. I just want a functioning bathroom. Today, I chose an off-the-shelf in-stock shower door that we could have taken home, but they didn't have clear glass, only frosted or patterned. Instead, we went to Lowe's where the one that she wanted is on a three week lead time at 2 1/2 times the $$$! BUT-They have free delivery! If I did get a decision my way on anything, then I would get blamed for the rest of my life!:confused: Yes Dear, is my customary answer. LOL
Willie, I have learned in my combined 20 years of husbandhood that "yes, Dear" is usually the correct answer in any marriage "discussion".

Willie: I was in BCT at Ft. Dix. They let us come down to the day room and watch it on TV. Some things are so significant that you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing.
BCT? Basic Combat Training or Burlington County Tech?

I was watching on the TV in my bedroom; it was a set my folks got rid of and I appropriated.

If you ever visit the Air Force museum in Dayton, the Niel Armstrong museum is just north, up I-75. The only exhibit I can definitely remember is Neil's Schwinn bicycle.

Changing the subject, you could add some *real* excitement to your layout with this kit, by using cotton to simulate escaping steam or smoke, with some figures running away:

View attachment 29339

I don't remember 7/20/69, as I had not yet figured out my Womb Escape plan, but I do remember the TMI incident(& when that acronym stood for something besides "too much info").

07-20-69 ... sitting in a parade of about 20-25 planes waiting for a line of thunderstorms to pass overhead at O'hare. I had CBS on the ADF receiver and was holding the headset next to the PA system. Was not the best reception as the lightening flashes kept "crakeling out" the Walter Man (as in Cronkite) -- but everyone in the aircraft was cheering!

Howdy ...

Some very nice memories of Neil Armstrong and the space walk. Thanks t call who shared them.

Here is a photo of NP RS3's on the branch line with coal hoppers coming from my yet-to-be-built coal mine. It is crossing over the main line with part of a CB&Q E7 visible.

29664828008_0bfb0eecf4_b.jpg

Good morning all,

Its 69, and partly cloudy. It cant decide if it wants to storm, or not. I was able to get the yard work done yesterday after work in between showers. The strong storms predicted for the last few days never seemed to get organized.

We fly to FT Lauderdale this afternoon to spend a couple of days then we are going on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. Its the first time in a long while just my wife, daughter, and me are going on vacation alone. It seems someone from our families always tagged along on all of our vacations. It will be nice for it to be just the three of us.

Have a great week all!

Good Morning All. A little cooler here today at 77° and mostly cloudy. Exceeded expectations of the weather forecasters and hit 109° again yesterday, the same is forecast for today and tomorrow. That will make it five days in a row above 107°. Monday, we get a "norther" and it's only expected to be 103°. 40% chance of rain on Monday July 30! is the current rain probability. Other than a few minor sprinkles, we haven't gotten any real measurable rain since April. Anything less than .75" is not really rain for me. On the bright side, the tractor/mower hasn't been needed for almost three weeks.
Bathroom remodel continues, albeit slowly. Our contractor's helper returned from Mexico about ten days ago and promptly took a position at the local Peterbilt plant in Denton. Better pay with benefits, but tax and SS withholding kind of evened things out.
I am anxious for life to return to a more normal state. Between the four day visit from the grandsons and dog, this contractor traipsing through the house to his work center outside and working until 6:30 or later, the incessant "come look at this" ventures, the piles of tools and supplies lining the bedroom wall that don't fit in the bathroom (that he leaves overnight), the seemingly daily trips to Home Depot or Lowe's that always cost $$$; I am worn out!:(
Out in the train shed, I was finally able to fill one vacant storefront with a Western Auto store; remember them? I also detailed and placed a few more automobiles and figures. Today I am concentrating on "stuff", trash cans, flower pots, weeds, more street signs and dogs/cats if I can find a suitable protected location. Ran a lot of trains over the main line on the lower level and did some switching on the upper level on some trackage that I haven't used much. Fortunately there were no incidents since I had recently ballasted it and repairs would not have been easy. Six months of previous testing prior to ballasting proved to be sufficient.

Sherrel - Too bad about the soldering attempt. Mine are rarely successful, although the RR related ones are getting better.
Beady - Never knew that that particular kit ever existed.
Garry - Another excellent picture. I had seen the new Photo Fun thread earlier, and I should get serious about contributing.
early-to-bed types
I hear this all of the time; "It's just wrong for you to go to bed while it's still daylight out!" But even now after three years of retirement, I still wake up at 4:00 am without an alarm just like I did for 43 years! Even if I stay out past midnight the night before (rare these days).
Mike - Have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.

I wonder if Ken got his bike back in time to join his friends on his next trip?
Isn't it also time for Karl to surface for air? That new GF seems to be keeping him tied up.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Summer's about half over now.

Good morning y'all. 73, heading up to 86 today. Forecast says partly cloudy, special weather alert says lightning likely today. Welcome to the south, where the weather is made up and the forecast doesn't matter. Enjoying a rare morning off. Got to handle one small job this afternoon, but it can wait until I'm ready. In about an hour I'm taking my son to the local train museum to watch the HO trains run. It's a scale representation of the local shortline, the Lancaster & Chester Railway (for all of you northern fellas on here, that's pronounced like this: Lane-kissed-her. Or to some: lank-stir. Not to be confused with lan-cast-her like in Pennsylvania.) The L&C was built to support the once abundant textile industry that was the backbone of the economy in Lancaster and Chester counties. Now all of the mills and related business is located in Central America and other areas of the world and all that's left are some abandoned buildings and the innumerable mill houses. The railroad still services a few industries in the area, but now the corporate office is located somewhere in the midwest or up north. I don't remember who owns it now. There are about 5 people that work at the former headquarters and the museum is above it. Last time I was there one of the guys said that the museum would be open as long as the girls working downstairs were needed. As soon as corporate finds a way to eliminate their jobs, the building becomes unnecessary and will be shut down. It's sad really, since the railroad is such an integral part of the history of the town and county. Mama has already decided to stay home so today is going to be a daddy/little buddy day. I'll try to get some pictures to share with you guys later.

In other news from the rails, my wife was building tracks with my boy yesterday and having a grand old time doing it. He has a TON of the wooden track and the magnetic trains as well as a TON of the Fisher Price Geotrax track. She has always said that she doesn't have the creativity to put anything fun together to play with. Yesterday that changed. And we all spent some time playing with the trains as a family last night. I think the railroad bug is making itself at home. Going to try to start nudging her towards the other trains now. I even promised to buy her her very own steamer since she likes them better than the diesels. No confirmation on this yet, but will update as progress occurs.

Y'all have a great day. Try to stay cool. Today may be a good day to run trains and "finish" layout projects.

Good morning ....

Shhhhhhhh .... I'm still trying to hear that pin drop!
Beautiful photo, GARRY.

Sherrel ... LOL .... Thanks for commenting about my photo.

Mike .... Have a good vacation .

Jesse .... Good to hear about your going to the train museum., and your wife building tracks with your boy.

Willie .... Thanks for commenting on my photo. It would be good if you contributed to the Photo Fun thread because you have a lot of good stuff to show.

I hear this all of the time; "It's just wrong for you to go to bed while it's still daylight out!" But even now after three years of retirement, I still wake up at 4:00 am without an alarm just like I did for 43 years! Even if I stay out past midnight the night before (rare these days).
I have terrible problems with sleep. I'll go one or two days, sometimes three, with no sleep at all, then one or two days where I'll sleep 10-14 hours, then repeat. I try to go to bed at the same time every night, about midnight, and I have the alarm set for 10:30 am. It's been like this ever since I retired five years ago. I've got an appointment with an endocrinologist in November (the appt was made in April!), so I'm on my own until then.

Museum update:

Unfortunately, the gentleman that usually runs the trains was not there today so we didn't get to watch the trains run. Did get some pics of the layout though. And my son enjoyed seeing them anyway.
20180721_110622.jpg
This is the old Depot. The museum occupies the upper level of the building. In the background you can see the old cottonseed oil mill. There is also a repair shop on the grounds for servicing the diesels and at one time they restored passenger cars here. Unsure if they still do.

20180721_110216.jpg
20180721_110231.jpg
20180721_110241.jpg20180721_110253.jpg
Here are some overall shots of the layout.

20180721_110651.jpg20180721_110724.jpg20180721_110845.jpg20180721_110854.jpg
Some closer shots of a few areas of the line. Everything on this is a representation of actual industries and scenery along the rails.

20180721_113940.jpg
And here's a picture of my boy, happy to be standing next to the "choo choo".

All in all, it was a good time.

Good Morning All. A little cooler here today at 77° and mostly cloudy. Exceeded expectations of the weather forecasters and hit 109° again yesterday, the same is forecast for today and tomorrow. That will make it five days in a row above 107°. Monday, we get a "norther" and it's only expected to be 103°. 40% chance of rain on Monday July 30! is the current rain probability. Other than a few minor sprinkles, we haven't gotten any real measurable rain since April. Anything less than .75" is not really rain for me. On the bright side, the tractor/mower hasn't been needed for almost three weeks.
Bathroom remodel continues, albeit slowly. Our contractor's helper returned from Mexico about ten days ago and promptly took a position at the local Peterbilt plant in Denton. Better pay with benefits, but tax and SS withholding kind of evened things out.
I am anxious for life to return to a more normal state. Between the four day visit from the grandsons and dog, this contractor traipsing through the house to his work center outside and working until 6:30 or later, the incessant "come look at this" ventures, the piles of tools and supplies lining the bedroom wall that don't fit in the bathroom (that he leaves overnight), the seemingly daily trips to Home Depot or Lowe's that always cost $$$; I am worn out!:(
Out in the train shed, I was finally able to fill one vacant storefront with a Western Auto store; remember them? I also detailed and placed a few more automobiles and figures. Today I am concentrating on "stuff", trash cans, flower pots, weeds, more street signs and dogs/cats if I can find a suitable protected location. Ran a lot of trains over the main line on the lower level and did some switching on the upper level on some trackage that I haven't used much. Fortunately there were no incidents since I had recently ballasted it and repairs would not have been easy. Six months of previous testing prior to ballasting proved to be sufficient.

Sherrel - Too bad about the soldering attempt. Mine are rarely successful, although the RR related ones are getting better.
Beady - Never knew that that particular kit ever existed.
Garry - Another excellent picture. I had seen the new Photo Fun thread earlier, and I should get serious about contributing.

Mike - Have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.

I wonder if Ken got his bike back in time to join his friends on his next trip?
Isn't it also time for Karl to surface for air? That new GF seems to be keeping him tied up.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Summer's about half over now.
Willie- yes, I remember when they were converted to Parts America(during the Sears ownership era) & then eventually to Advance Auto Parts. I worked for Advance when I moved to WI(before my health issues cropped up), during the acquisition/phase out of Carquest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back