Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beady - I did see the original post regarding your son and his new job. Congratulations to him. Looks like a fun place to work. It also looks like some of their employees actually posed for some of the props!

Afternoon All,

Spent this morning doing chores outside then some inside. The station signs have been shipped so I will get them Saturday or Monday most likely. Tomorrow I'm driving up to Jon's to see him and Phil. I gave him a Pennsy Athearn BB F7 a couple of weeks ago that I had detailed years ago and was already set up for basic DCC to put in sound. He has a bunch of older sound boards laying around so he told me to provide a speaker and baffle and he would give me one and install it for free:cool:.

Ken- Good to see you lurking.

Justin- Interesting photo.

Toot- Neat looking photo. Excellent job on the flat car load.

Joe- That will be a great scene when done. Are you planning on interior lighting and details?

Willie- Great looking scenes.

Garry- That's pretty bad.

Chet- Good luck with the bowling.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Mrs Beady has jury duty next week, and I've got it the week after. Dont know whether I'd be disqualified because of being a retired immigration officer. Guess I'll be finding out.

You also would have missed the news that my elder son finally found a job: He makes body parts for horror movies. I think his company's web site is ghostride.com. Meanwhile, our other son is a bouncer at the Comedy Club in San Diego. Strange: My father was disappointed when I didn't want a job on the assembly line; I wonder what he would have thought about his grandsons?

Beady -- I have been assembled for "duty" many times. Most have been settled before going to trial. One that I really wanted to be on was the killing of a convenience/ liquor store clerk and the shooting of an innocent customer here locally a few years ago. This "dirtbag" intentionally shot them after they had given him the money - and it was all on video tape. When they interviewed me, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and when asked if I could keep an open mind, I blurted out, "I don't even know why we are wasting time on a trial". That got me sent home early! Another time I was asked if I could be objective over a lady who was on trial for her 3rd DWI. I answered the question with, "Well, I don't think the cops go around arresting people just for fun? Looks to me that where there is smoke, there must be a fire!"
I have not been called back in the last 4 years

Good to hear about your son. Mine works on set setup for mostly TV programs. He is currently on a medical series - forget the name - I think it is Code Black? He spends about 3-4 months working and then collects unemployment for 2-3 months, something to do with the union he is with. He spends his off time doing mounted shooting and jousting. All not as I would have wished, but then just after I had received my 20 year pin from the airline - my mother (who wanted me to be a doctor/lawyer/engineer) asked me in all sincere ---" When are you going to quit and get a real job"! I took her advise but not until 15 years later!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments on the pulpwood car and the coupe on the flatcar. Chet was looking for ideas for flatcar loads, and seeing he also restores cars, I thought a model of one of his, if he can find one, would be a nice "signature load" for the club. The twigs for the timber load were indeed sourced from the park across the road, although finding ones that were reasonably straight wasn't easy. I picked up 10 of those bulkhead flats from MB Kleins some years ago on inventory reduction for US$13.00 each. MSV is the reporting mark. The color pretty much matches other pics of MRL equipment and with a touch of a bit of thinned white to fade it further, is a passable copy of cars in their service. I got a little carried away by overloading it a bit, necessitating the chains to make it look secure.

Sherrel, the Dozer loads are slowly getting finished, I find having a break and doing something else, like this pulpwood car, helps prevent the tedium when doing multiples. I have, just in the last few weeks, "invested" heavily in more MTH flatcars for the big Caterpillar collection I amassed about 8 years ago. That will require Henry Ford production techniques. Those MTH cars are unbeatable for value and detail, especially at MBK's price of $22.99.

Joe- That will be a great scene when done. Are you planning on interior lighting and details?
Curt: There will be some interior lighting and detail, as well as some exterior lighting in time. Biggest issue right now is how to replicate the water.

Willie, Mike, Sherrel, Johnny, Garry and Chet: Thanks for the kind words on the Marine terminal.

Boris- marine terminal is looking good. Is that where you ship Moose & Squirrel off to foreign lands?
Yo Mike: That's a good idea. :rolleyes: TV 8 was hauling Containers on Flat cars out of Dundalk Marine Terminal back in1967, so I suppose I can have some 20' and 40' container stacks adjacent to the pulp and craft paper coming in by barge.

Willie: Nice job on the Merchant's Row buildings and business district.

Toot: Good job on the bulkhead flat and load.

The two most recent Jury appearances have resulted on my being seated on Criminal Juries. One for a 4th degree, (Felony), Assault case (Acquittal), the other for a Homicide (Conviction). I have always been "Pre-empted" on civil cases.

Good Morning All. 82° and partly cloudy. Yesterday we managed to sustain 109° for a few hours and our excessive heat warning continues. That's six days in a row and the forecast calls for this heat to continue for six of the next ten days. For comparison, the seven day spell at the end of June/early July only attained 102°. Pool thermometer showed water at 87° this morning. It will drop another degree by sunrise. Still not too hot for grilling though, last night's fare was marinated pork loin steaks.
Bathroom remodel (pay attention Johnny) hit a bummer note this week. My wife wanted "Antique White" grout on the floor and shower walls, with a "Platinum" color for the shower floor and wall recesses. Both the contractor and me wanted to just do white all around, especially since one bag would have been enough for everything. After he did the floor Wednesday with the "Antique White" (really a mustard like color), she flipped out. "That's not what it looks like on the Internet! That's too dark." Yesterday, Felix took a grinder with a thin grinding wheel and a thin chisel and spent six hours carefully removing it all. The bag of "Platinum" color grout (kind of a gray color) will be returned today and we will now use white all around. Today we meet him at Home Depot and select molding/trim for edging on the beadboard. I questioned why I had to go. "To help me decide". OK, but you haven't taken a single suggestion from me yet!:confused:

Thanks for all of the comments regarding the most recent pictures, Garry, Chet, Johnny, Jesse, Curt, Joe and anyone else that I may have missed.

Meanwhile out in the warm train shed yesterday (the single window A/C struggles to keep it at 82° when it's so hot outside), I added some clumps of field grass around the place. Spotted a broken plastic stirrup on a boxcar and took it over to the workbench to replace it with a metal one from A-Line. After walking 35' down two aisles for the replacement, I realized that I moved all of the spare parts bins Tuesday and that they were now right next to the workbench.:rolleyes: After making the repair, I noted that I have now replaced three out of four stirrups on this car, manufactured by the now defunct Eel River Models. I did some more stuff that I don't remember before settling into the engineer mode prior to another dip in the pool.

Ray - I missed commenting on the great job that you did on the timber load. Nothing like the real thing for realism.
Sherrel - Good luck with your computer woes. Thanks for the information on Bob. I do know how to log on to FB on my wife's account and I will have to check him out.
Johnny - Most of those folks are Preiser unpainted figures that are available in bulk. Since they are made in Germany, I sometimes have to shave off some of the details like hats and scarves. I also sometimes cut off an arm and re-attach it in a different position. The gentleman picking up the penny however, came from a Woodland Scenics set, as did the policeman.

Everybody have a great day. Weather Bureau is predicting some relief today with a high of only 107° and back to 109° tomorrow. I predict that it will reach 111° tomorrow, that's 44°C for you Ray. Thankfully humidity is extremely low, ~20% or less.

Good morning everyone. 70 and cloudy, looking at 95+ today. Horrendous storm blew through this area yesterday evening. Knocked out power (not us) and brought down trees and limbs everywhere. Also brought over a quarter inch of much-needed rain.

If you follow the news, you're probably already aware that the storm capsized one of those "Ride the Duck" amphibious vehicles on Table Rock Lake, near Branson, MO. Driver put it in the water around the time the storm hit that lake. 11 dead so far, 6 still missing.

Willie - thanks for the info on the figures you use on your layout. Also, those "fights" over remodeling tile color, accent color, vanity top color, vanity top material, grout color, on and on and on - they're driving me nuts!

Making headway on MR-IV details. I still hope to have it on the layout this weekend. Will post photos.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning all,

Rainy and humid. Supposed to be storms in the Midwest for the next couple of days.

Have a great day all.

Good morning. 77 this morning. Going up to 84 today. Currently partly overcast. Got up and left the house today only to realize I could have slept in a bit longer. Schedule said the first job today was at 9. My office manager forgot to update it to the actual time of 11 am. So I made a breakfast run, two parts runs, and now I think I will kill a little more time at the local HS. They probably have the exact same stuff as the last time I was there, but what's it going to hurt to browse for a bit? Besides, I'm now browsing for 2 scales. :cool:

Nothing new to report from the rail yard today. Hopefully after some home projects and catching up on some work stuff this weekend I will actually find some time to run or tinker with some trains.

Y'all have a great day.

HS update: I managed to limit my purchase to a lowly $7.27. bought a small bottle of oil to lube the new engines after cleaning. Considering that I wanted to buy half, ok, everything else they had I consider this a huge success.

Good morning, everybody .

If you follow the news, you're probably already aware that the storm capsized one of those "Ride the Duck" amphibious vehicles on Table Rock Lake, near Branson, MO. Driver put it in the water around the time the storm hit that lake. 11 dead so far, 6 still missing.

Johnny ...... Yes, I heard the tragic news from Branson. Of course, we were in Branson with you a few weeks ago, and I wondered how you were affected by that storm. . ... The news I heard now was 13 dead and 4 missing. Wind speed over that lake was 60 MPH, and there was some video on the news of some big waves on the lake. The duck boat tipped over and sank. We rode a duck boat in Wisconsin a couple of years ago, and they packed a lot of people aboard.

..... It's a big storm system and Iowa had tornadoes from it. The same storm system is forecasted to pass through here late today. We definitely will not be boating.

Willie - thanks for the info on the figures you use on your layout. Also, those "fights" over remodeling tile color, accent color, vanity top color, vanity top material, grout color, on and on and on - they're driving me nuts!
In our case they're not really "fights", I simply don't care. I just want a functioning bathroom. Today, I chose an off-the-shelf in-stock shower door that we could have taken home, but they didn't have clear glass, only frosted or patterned. Instead, we went to Lowe's where the one that she wanted is on a three week lead time at 2 1/2 times the $$$! BUT-They have free delivery! If I did get a decision my way on anything, then I would get blamed for the rest of my life!:confused: Yes Dear, is my customary answer. LOL

Willie's bathroom woes!
Here I sit all broken hearted - ---
That's funny about the grout and the shower door!

SIGH .... I failed in my attempt to solder the charger plug back on; well, it was a shot in the dark to begin with. The molded hard plastic plug had three wires to it and I could not find where the third wire attached too. Waiting on the "new" charger to come in - shows in transit?

Still moderate temps around 90 ... but humidity is still double what we normally have. Hasn't rained a drop in like forever. Rainfall this year is less than 1/3 our normal - which is minescule to begin with.

Almost forgot that today is the 49th anniversary of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969. I was at a freshman orientation for college and watched with about a hundred others in the TV room of the dorm that we were all staying in, on a 21" TV!

Almost forgot that today is the 49th anniversary of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969. I was at a freshman orientation for college and watched with about a hundred others in the TV room of the dorm that we were all staying in, on a 21" TV!
Willie: I was in BCT at Ft. Dix. They let us come down to the day room and watch it on TV. Some things are so significant that you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing.

Afternoon All,

Visited with Jon and Phil today and had a great time. Tomorrow I'm heading down to see Tom and several others (Downtown Orlando). Jon did a nice job on the sound install with a older Soundtraxx board. The price was definitely right!:):). No layout work today. The shipping status for the station signs says they should be delivered tomorrow, but I don't know if I will get to them tomorrow or not. My son got some good news yesterday. The restaurant owner thanked him for all his hard work and gave him a $1/hr pay raise. He's a chef at a local Bonefish.

My brother has been vomiting the last couple of days, so no status on SIL. He must of picked up a virus at the hospital.:(

Beady- My son would love that job, he does that as a hobby with a group of friends.

Willie- We have mainly used biscuit color grout but have used a reddish tinted one to match the tile better in a bathroom. I'm not a fan of the color but MOH likes it...so I do by definition. We must of been trained by the same people with the yes dear response. I remember the moon landing well, I was a going to be a HS freshman. I also remember the huge sense of pride in our country.

Johnny- That is really tragic.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Joe- I had something similar with the first space shuttle return. We were loading food stores for our sub (getting ready to deploy) and we all stopped and piled below decks to watch the space shuttle land (of course with the CO's permission). Another huge sense of pride in our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back