Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, do you have a Helix somewhere to connect your 2 levels?
At the present time I do not. So essentially they are two different layouts. The planned helix if I ever get to building it will be in a not yet built 5' x 8' room attached to the train shed. It will basically take up part of the 5' x 40' front porch. I included access switches on both levels already. The thought of a duckunder (actually a crawlunder) to get into it may eventually doom that plan.

Good afternoon from the frozen prairie. The temp has dropped 15 degrees since this morning and the wind is strong. Weather report-it sucks!

Sherrel- I remember the old days when a firestick was a match! The only entertainment you got from it was watching someone else burn themselves with one!

Beady- Just need Howard Cosell to call the blow by blow of the match.

Tom- That car looks like it would be fine parked front and center on the layout.

Greg- Good luck with the gutter and roof situation.

Chet- Glad to see that you're spending time with your trains again. Nice picture of that B&O steamer. Must be brand new in that photo because it won't look like that for long!

Greg- I plan on watching that video later, thanks.

[QUOTE="

View attachment 43236
View from the other end.
View attachment 43237
View from the aisle.
View attachment 43238
Now it's time to move all of those trains back in so I can proceed on the 32' adjacent section. At least I can run trains on the upper level while everything is tied up on the lower level.
Willie, do you have a Helix somewhere to connect your 2 levels?[/QUOTE]

Jerome- I was wondering the same thing!

I've just about got my spray booth done. I still need to get a filter but I think I'll be ready to try my hand at airbrushing after we get back from
Tennessee. I used an old clear tote and the vent fan from our old power vent water heater we replaced this spring. It has a good draw, but I don't think it will be too strong. Time will tell. I've got less than two dollars in it for the electrical box and cover plate. Everything else was from what I had on hand. I've got a small under cabinet light that I can mount, but I don't think it will be needed. I think I'll be able to get enough light through the tote to see. Again, time will tell.

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

Good afternoon from the frozen prairie. The temp has dropped 15 degrees since this morning and the wind is strong. Weather report-it sucks!

Sherrel- I remember the old days when a firestick was a match! The only entertainment you got from it was watching someone else burn themselves with one!

Beady- Just need Howard Cosell to call the blow by blow of the match.

Tom- That car looks like it would be fine parked front and center on the layout.

Greg- Good luck with the gutter and roof situation.

Chet- Glad to see that you're spending time with your trains again. Nice picture of that B&O steamer. Must be brand new in that photo because it won't look like that for long!

Greg- I plan on watching that video later, thanks.

Willie, do you have a Helix somewhere to connect your 2 levels?

Jerome- I was wondering the same thing!

I've just about got my spray booth done. I still need to get a filter but I think I'll be ready to try my hand at airbrushing after we get back from
Tennessee. I used an old clear tote and the vent fan from our old power vent water heater we replaced this spring. It has a good draw, but I don't think it will be too strong. Time will tell. I've got less than two dollars in it for the electrical box and cover plate. Everything else was from what I had on hand. I've got a small under cabinet light that I can mount, but I don't think it will be needed. I think I'll be able to get enough light through the tote to see. Again, time will tell.

View attachment 43247

View attachment 43249

View attachment 43246[/QUOTE]
Bob, what is that fan from???

At the present time I do not. So essentially they are two different layouts. The planned helix if I ever get to building it will be in a not yet built 5' x 8' room attached to the train shed. It will basically take up part of the 5' x 40' front porch. I included access switches on both levels already. The thought of a duckunder (actually a crawlunder) to get into it may eventually doom that plan.
Willie, thank you. I am hoping to incorporate a staging yard below min main layout but a long run to drop the 12" that I need is not feasible and I don't know how big of, or how to build a helix.

Good evening all. Wow, you can't miss a day or two stopping by, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to catch up. I've been busy with the coming and goings around here. Not a lot of railroad time.

Curt - Condolences to your family.

Willie - some great work as usual

Max - I had one eye with a lens for close and the other a lens for distance. I believe they call it mono-vision. I do have glasses that help the nearsighted eye see far and the farsighted eye see close. It works for me.

LATER

Bob, what is that fan from???

It's from our old water heater. It draws the fumes from the burner and blows it outside through 3 inch PVC pipe. Eliminates needing a flue pipe to a chimney, so you can locate a gas water heater just about anywhere, just like you can with an electric one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-...r-Limited-Natural-Gas-Water-Heater/1000225597

But if you leave Prime, then they are locked up again just like Photo Bucket did. :(

I think that's part of their plan!:(

It's from our old water heater. It draws the fumes from the burner and blows it outside through 3 inch PVC pipe. Eliminates needing a flue pipe to a chimney, so you can locate a gas water heater just about anywhere, just like you can with an electric one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-...r-Limited-Natural-Gas-Water-Heater/1000225597

I think that's part of their plan!:(
That will slove my problem for putting my existing paint booth in the new garage!! Thank you.

Evening fellers. Taking a break from the layout at the present moment. Found all controllers and wiring is good to go. I didnt find a single dead spot in mytrackwork. I did however figure out that maybe my wheel cleaning was not a success. I found out my issues were strictly locomotive related. So out came my wheel cleaning track. And lemme tell you those wheels were nasty! Even after I cleaned them! Now I'm doing a massive deep clean of my track at the moment. I'm saying it's so deep that I won't quit cleaning until I get absolutely nothing on a white towel. I'd say my car wheels are adding to my issues. They are next on the list.

Willie - your yard has twice the trackage as my entire layout :oops:;)
Bob - I like the Farmall and combine. Your paint booth looks good. Great job.
Tom - great grain car weathering.
Chet - thanks for my photo comment. Real nice steamer!
Greg - great club ride along video.
Hughie - the Mrs. had lens put in like you, but there is something else going on . . . ?
Justin - the dirty wheels is from coal dust after running all of those coal trains! ;):p
Cleaning rolling stock wheels is one of my least favorite jobs :rolleyes::(

After spending much of the afternoon on the layout, my fingers and nose got cold. Even with the
little milk house electric heater running, the temp only got up to 56° :oops: I came upstairs for a large
bowl of vegetable soup and a large coffee. Doing much better and ready for another work shift on the
layout :)

Here's a few layout photos . . .
The first one is my main switching area. The double spurs will be the coal truck/rail transfer tipple. The spur heading the other way is access for the farm supply warehouse. Here's a funny story about the warehouse. I made it out of cardboard and glued it up, then went to bed. The next day, I noticed the doors and windows were upside down on the one side. While constructing it, I had a few beers :) . . . well maybe 6 or 7 ;) so I had to throw it away. That was a few years ago and since then, I have a two beer limit while doing construction or running the trains.
0Y3JcjWl.jpg

This next photo is the four bridges across the creek
kdI1KFIl.jpg

and this is my small 3 leg rail yard
rRNzdy6l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back