Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim said "
I haven't built any loads for a year and after seeing yours, I might have to take a break from
layout construction to make some. I love building loads. "

I have found that building multiples at a time is really easier, because it takes a couple loads to get in a groove to know the best construction sequence and build in a little variety between the loads. The machinery loads below are molded air distribution blocks with different colored tips.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 148
Good Morning All. 46° and light rain, which has been here off and on for the last 24 hours. Exactly 1" in the rain gauge this morning. Looks like Johnny and Patrick are getting the wintery mix from this system according to the localized radar. Successful odyssey yesterday, nine stops and a 53 mile round trip (in the rain) in 3.25 hours. Instead of stopping to eat, we just picked up some BBQ to go and went home to eat.

Eggs over easy and a double order of bacon today Flo.

Thanks for all of the likes and kind comments regarding the progress and townspeople pictures yesterday; Justin, Jerome, Karl, Patrick, Jim, Chet, Bob, Sherrel, Phil, Mikey, Curt, Rick, Tom, Ken.

I got some more ground cover done around the Steel Works yesterday.

01-17-20 014.JPG

01-17-20 015.JPG

01-17-20 016.JPG

Trees are next for this scene, although I have to make some more first. This structure is also going to get interior lighting. More on that tomorrow.

Greg - Isn't it great now that we can just look at inclement weather and not have to bother getting out. In this part of Texas, they don't have snow removal equipment and they rely mostly on traffic to remove snow/ice when we get it. In our rural county, they now send out the road graders (hours late) to sort of clear the roads since the county emergency services (ambulances, volunteer fire departments etc) obtained a permanent injunction forcing the road services to clear the roads so the emergency equipment could get through. They just push the stuff aside leaving anywhere from 1" -3" still in the road. They only act when there is over 6" on the ground. It might still take two days to reach our house.
Beady - Really great to see your progress. Need to consider a third table.
Sherrel -
Willie - that is an unreal number of stops on a shopping trip - made me tired reading about it. You must make a list - I would forget half of the places?
Yes I do make a list along with everything that I need at each stop. I do suffer from CRS and without the list, I would certainly skip a place or two. Since we live out in the boonies, we need to make every trip count.
Curt - Thoughts and prayers for your family in these trying times. Hope that your trip is a safe one.
Bob - From earlier this week.
Doesn't look like the busker is making much money. Really great scene!
01-17-20 019.JPG

There's a few dollars in there.
Over to the right of him in that park is the following activity.
01-17-20 020.JPG

Today is National Bootleggers Day. They actually still exist in this part of Texas. I know a couple of them locally, although I don't partake. Any still in your neck of the woods?
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful upcoming weekend.

Good morning everyone. 33 and rain/freezing rain out there. Well, I made it to the coffee shop, Flo - - how about a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, and a side of pancakes - oh, yeah, and a big mug of coffee. Just leave the coffee pot here - the guys and I will finish it off real fast.

So far the forecast ice event has not materialized for our town. North of here sounds like they're getting hit. Expected to warm up a few degrees and that should keep us safe for the day. Looks like we dodged another bullet.

Willie - this rain/ice is coming up from W and N Texas - - you get hit by any of it?
Iron Belt Ken, Tom, Burlington Bob, Patrick, Flip, Sherrel, Jim, Willie, and anyone else - - thanks for the likes and comments.
Beady - Nice photos of your layout.
Karl - Thanks for posting the photos of your layout infrastructure. Good ideas that I'll file away.
Curt - Sorry to hear about your SIL. Prayers for the family and for a safe trip.

It's sort of a dry spell in the train room. Have a long weekend coming up, since the office is closed on Monday for MLK Day. Hope to get some train-runnin' time and to work on scenery.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning railfans! Starting off at 47 this morning going up to 60 with mostly cloudy skies and occasionally a drop, or two of what some call rain. We are running at 1/2 our seasonal rainfall - I was hoping that we would have another excess as we had last year?

I still have not shelved the Christmas stuff - the garage is barely passable. I hope to get to it today.
I don't have anything else going on at the moment but have a long list of what I should be doing.

CURT - I am sorry to hear of your SIL. Prayers for her and the family ... drive safe.

Good morning, America! Spent about five hours with our granddaughter yesterday. Hard to believe that she's only 4 1/2 years old. Sometimes I think there's an adult trapped in that little body because every once in a while I see glimpses of one in the way she acts or things she says. That can make for some good laughs! Or, it could be embarrassing!

Starting to notice that the days are getting a little longer............that means winter is getting shorter!!!

At home, I was making gutters for my Nick's Garage
addition and started dozing off. The falling face first kind and it's not a good thing to do when you're using
a hobby knife :oops: So, I packed it in and went to bed.

Jim- Safety first! Like the pics of coal mine railroading!

Beady- Squirrels are pretty rats in disguise!:rolleyes: There's a town in Illinois that's kind of famous for their white squirrels. There's even a $750 fine for running over one! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olney,_Illinois That's quite a collection of motive power you have.

Sherrel- I had an '09 Ranger with extended cab, a 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual. Sharp looking little truck that got 30-31 MPG, but had uncomfortable seats for a long trip and rode pretty rough. Still loved that truck, though!

Tom- I'll be putting cork roadbed on top of foam that is glued to 1/4" plywood on a 1x3 frame.

Karl- That looks like rock solid framework!

Boris- When it rains, it pours! Hope everything works out well for you and the family!

Willie- The ironworks is looking better and better. Guess the busker is singing for his supper after all! A BIL brought back some moonshine from Kentucky one year. It had a slice of orange in the mason jar............a total waste of a good piece of fruit! It tasted like gasoline! Yuck!

Curt- Keeping you in our thoughts.

Waiting to see what we get out of the coming storm. Hoping to get lucky and miss the brunt of it like we did the last one. Can we get lucky two times in a row?

Stay safe and warm!

Morning fellers. For the benefit of being able to sleep at night I haven't started troubleshooting my layout woes. With the start of a rainy weekend ahead of me I figure why not wait until tonight to troubleshoot it. I have no time limits to worry about. Enjoy everyone's pics that's been posted. I have one or two I'm gonna share with yall. I hope everyone is doing well and I'll stop by later.
FB_IMG_1579189988561.jpg
sbdtesorocoalwahooky2-768x479.jpg
sbdtesorocoalwahooky-768x506.jpg

Good morning. I have been AWOL for a few days.

Curt - Prayers for your SIL. Doesn't sound good at all. SIL also ? Bummer. Have a safe trip.

Willie - The Steel Works is another nice addition to your empire. Just can't get over all of the neat items you have been adding. Great photos.

Justin
- Interesting photos. Looks like a conveyor switchback.

Phil - It sounds like you're quite pleased with the new loco. Enjoy.

Beady - Like the photos. Seem like you'll have to clear off that second table before any work can be done. I can see a control panel build in your future.

Sherrel - You'll have to post a picture of your new ride.

Karl - Nice work on the bench work. I can see that you took your time but it should be well worth the effort.

I have been busy trying to get an exercise schedule of some kind worked out. The doc gave me a green light last Friday and through Blue Cross I joined the "Silver Sneakers" program which is at out local YMCA which is also a brand new building. There I can use the stationary ikes and rowing machines. I have also been going to the Bozeman Hot Springs and getting some exercise swimming. Swimming is probably the best. During the summer I keep busy working in the yard but in the winter the only exercise I get is hurling a bowling ball.

Here's my photo for the day, a diesel powered shay.

Diesel Shay 2.jpg

Later

Time for lunch and then down to the train room.

Good Afternoon Everyone....overcast and snow on the way with 3-6 inches forecasted for tonight.

Yesterday, I finished the weathering on my SOO Line Caboose. I started with a BB caboose and while cleaning the sides of the car, the alcohol removed some of The "SOO" lettering. I went ahead and removed all of the SOO lettering and replaced it with decals "Soo Line" which looks fine and nearly prototypical. This lettering is in a smaller case letters. The caboose has a heavy weathering job and is ready for short line duty.

I installed a rear strobe warning light and interior LED lighting. The strobe is hard to see unless the train is moving away from the viewer and the LED interior lighting illuminates the lower windows of the caboose with a rich, warm light. Even under layout lighting, the caboose's lighting shows through the caboose's lower windows.

The caboose has Kadee "Whisker" couplers and I painted the tips of the glad hands silver.

I'll do some photos tomorrow and post them on the site.

Later.....

Greg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Linda (SIL) passed away this afternoon. We are departing at 6 AM for VA. It will take 1-1/2 days since my Dad refuses to sit that long.

Sherrel- Nice truck. I had one years ago and was very happy with it.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Joe- Sorry to hear about all the medical issues going on.

Beady- It looks great. You've done a lot more than I thought you had.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Nice truck, Sherrel. I liked my 2009, first and only brand new truck I ever bought. I'll never buy a brand new vehicle again, just take too much of a beating on the depreciation. Her's my two oldest granddaughters and me with our oldest boy, Jack, back in 2009. Where has the time gone?

061209_1647[00].jpg

Curt - condolences on the passing of SIL!:( Continuing prayers for those she left behind...

Everybody else - Sorry I haven't participated more in here, but I've been busy as a <?FILL-IN-THE-BLANK?> this past week, working on my layout scenery whenever I wasn't at work or doing errands/chores/family commitments. I can lurk and I can "like", but I just can't type fast enough.

Totally miserable weather (snow/freezing rain mixture) being predicted for my area tomorrow. Perfect for mrr activities!:cool:

Howdy everyone!

I appreciate everyone who liked my stuff!

Curt - I'm sorry on the passing of your sister-in-law

Mikey - now there's some ingenuity. The loads look good.

Willie - the steel works lookin' good

Bob said - "Starting to notice that the days are getting a little longer............that means winter is getting shorter!!!"
I'm all for a short winter and can't wait until we change the clocks ahead.

Justin - great mine photos!

Chet - cool diesel shay! :cool:

Sherrel - good lookin' pickup! One that age, here in PA would have the wheel wells and rockers rusted out from the road salt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mrs. and I did a lot of running around again yesterday and managed to catch a chill. Not wanting to get sick, I didn't work on the layout, as my basement is 53°. So I covered up on the sofa and fell asleep.
I plan on doing a lot on the layout today, as I have 4 outstanding projects. It's nice to see some structures on the previously barren layout table. Starting to look like a real layout.:cool:

Have a good one!
Jim

Wheeling & Lake Erie @ Belle Vernon PA
IRobdQ4.jpg

W&LE
neOTIFo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back