Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1548081253165.png

Lou Brock sliding in to steal his 893rd stolen base breaking Ty Cobb's record. Aug 29, 1977.
Baseball In Pics

Ever notice that liberals refer to him as Doctor Martin Luther King Jr., while conservatives refer to him as Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.? He was actually both.

Willie: You are so right. I think it's because Liberals are impressed with advance degrees, while Conservatives are not impressed with advanced degrees, (except maybe MBAs). I believe that the correct title for MLK and others with similar education is "Reverend Doctor".

Boris

1548081901034.png

900 block F St. NW outside the Ritz Hotel. Washington, DC
1548081980833.png

Car 1565 at 19th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, DC December 4th, 1957. Photo by Richard Kotulak
1548082048506.png

Making the turn from M St., SE onto 8th St. - the Latrobe Gate of the Washington Navy Yard is at left and the Navy Yard Car Barn is on the right.
All photos from the Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society

Good morning. 32 degrees and snow. Looks like about 5 or 6 inches so I guess I can go out and play around on the plow later today.

Tom - we have plenty of room to put the snow out here without any tight spaces. Our main problem comes when we get the southwest wings out of the canyon to the south of us. Without the snowblower, I have to use heavier equipment. I also have a skid steer if things get deep, but I like the way the snowblower gets the snow clear of where you plow.

Karl - You will enjoy the trip to the D&S. Sherrel made a good suggestion about the Bar-d Chuckwagon. A bit off the beaten track, north near Hermosa, but well worth it. Excellent grub.

Louis - On my Buick, we also have the MPG calculator and I have checked it numerous times and find that it is usually withing one tenth of an MPG using the calculator. Gave up check it difference years ago. Pretty accurate. Also, nice photos again. We lost the K-Mart in Bozeman a few years ago and never had a real Sears store locally, just a catalog store. Glad to see that they may still be around for a while. We have a few department stores in town, Macy's, Kohls and I think there is still a JC Pennys, but we find that we can find such a larger selection and much better prices on Amazon. Keeps guys like you in business.

Here's a rail picture for today. There are the MRL tracks with a northbound train heading to Helena, MT. The bridge in the center of the photo is the old Milwaukee Road bridge at Lombard, MT and the start of the trip through 16 mile Canyon.
17379558302_aca9e9fe2b_b.jpg

That's the modern way. In less than 10 years I doubt we will have half the "brick and mortar" retail stores we have now.

Louis:
How's the missus doing? Hope she id feeling better this morning.

While on line shopping is convenient, and a godsend for those who do not venture out of their home, it is not always ideal. The problem with Brick and Mortar began long before internet sales became common. General Goods stores, such as Sears, JC Penney and Wards, stopped carrying large chunks of merchandise in their stores...You can't buy what they don't have in the store. The other cause was the leveraging the business assets to cash out. Most recent victim was Toys -R-Us, but many other famous name stores suffered the same fate. Only the investment banking houses make out in LBOs. Montgomery Ward went kaput somewhere around 1986, long before the internet became common knowledge. Sears, (with IBM), owned Prodigy Services, one of the very first interactive computer services and ISPs. They began on line ordering then suddenly decided that they couldn't possibly make any money on internet sales, and that the catalog business was too expensive, so they sold off Prodigy and discontinued the catalog, just when...

In our own specialty world of Model Railroading, many of the brick and mortar shops were owned and staffed by people who dwelled in their own underworld. You went there because they were the only game in town, but you were always looking for another shop that offered more product and better service than the local troll. In the 70s Sal Marino on Staten Island, became one of my favorite dealers, because he discounted, took credit card orders over the phone, and easily beat Mitchell's in Delaware whose advantage over the Pennsylvania retailers was no sales tax.

Retailers, that do not understand their customers, are always at a disadvantage over providers, like Jeff Bezos, who aim for customer satisfaction, and repeat business. If your business model is one and done, you're customers are going to run. ;)

Boris

Here's a rail picture for today. There are the MRL tracks with a northbound train heading to Helena, MT. The bridge in the center of the photo is the old Milwaukee Road bridge at Lombard, MT and the start of the trip through 16 mile Canyon.

Chet: Awesome photo, that's quite a scenic location.

Boris

Chet, I use to love Macy's! Every year a few weeks before Thanksgiving they would open a special area called "Holiday Lane". It was filled with high-end Christmas decorations and other Christmas sundries. That was where we got pictures with Santa. In 2003, my first Christmas with my Angel we went to Macy's and I was disappointed to see there was no longer a Holiday Lane. I asked to speak to a manager and she informed me Macy's had decided to spread the Christmas items throughout the store and no more Macy's Santa. I have only been back a few times in all the years since.

I never shopped at Macy's for myself, but it was my first stop for my ex-wife and daughter, make-up, clothes, accessories, shoes and other things. I spent thousands with Macy's every year. I doubt I have spent a thousand in the 15 years since.

Louis:
How's the missus doing? Hope she id feeling better this morning.

While on line shopping is convenient, and a godsend for those who do not venture out of their home, it is not always ideal. The problem with Brick and Mortar began long before internet sales became common. General Goods stores, such as Sears, JC Penney and Wards, stopped carrying large chunks of merchandise in their stores...You can't buy what they don't have in the store. The other cause was the leveraging the business assets to cash out. Most recent victim was Toys -R-Us, but many other famous name stores suffered the same fate. Only the investment banking houses make out in LBOs. Montgomery Ward went kaput somewhere around 1986, long before the internet became common knowledge. Sears, (with IBM), owned Prodigy Services, one of the very first interactive computer services and ISPs. They began on line ordering then suddenly decided that they couldn't possibly make any money on internet sales, and that the catalog business was too expensive, so they sold off Prodigy and discontinued the catalog, just when...

In our own specialty world of Model Railroading, many of the brick and mortar shops were owned and staffed by people who dwelled in their own underworld. You went there because they were the only game in town, but you were always looking for another shop that offered more product and better service than the local troll. In the 70s Sal Marino on Staten Island, became one of my favorite dealers, because he discounted, took credit card orders over the phone, and easily beat Mitchell's in Delaware whose advantage over the Pennsylvania retailers was no sales tax.

Retailers, that do not understand their customers, are always at a disadvantage over providers, like Jeff Bezos, who aim for customer satisfaction, and repeat business. If your business model is one and done, you're customers are going to run. ;)

Boris
Boris, my wife is feeling better and enjoying her Monday off from work, thank you.

You hit the nail on the when it comes to retail. Even at Firestone they preached to us to make a personal connection with our customers and most of all provide good service!

Speaking of Toys R Us, I use to work part time for them. When I was first starting out, working for Ryder I needed a part time job for extra money. I found the perfect Job for me at Toys R Us. I put together bikes and all kinds of other toys, I loved it! Believe it or not the top of the line Barbie house was the most time consuming. The directions said 8 hours, it had hundreds of little pink flat head screws. My first one took 6 hours, after a few more I could do it in under 4. I got so good that the manager offered me flat rate pay. I made more putting together toys Christmas season than I did working for Ryder. As it got close to Christmas I would work from 4:30pm to 4am or even later on my days off from Ryder. I only got a full sleep 2 days a week in Decembers, somedays I got no sleep at all, but I loved putting toys together. I can still remember some of the happy faces of the mothers when they picked up the toys. I felt like Santa's biggest Elf.

Howdy Ya'll ... It's a gorgeous day out here. Supposed to reach 60 today after a 73 high yesterday and it's CAAFB (that's Clear As A F****g Bell) for you non-flyers!

Have to run - Therapy treatment of some sorts 65 miles up the road. Maybe with the Holiday today that traffic will be light. Managed to get the car in the garage yesterday, but it's tight ... need to re-shuffle some more "stuff".
Disappointed with both games - That non-call in the Saints game was the worse call I have ever seen in a major sports contest! I also did not want the Patriots to win either - tired of them always being in the Super Bowl.

Better run - later folks.

Good Morning Everyone.....below zero last night and 2-5 inches of snow tomorrow.

Starting my crash diet today...no carbs, no more orange juice as in Screw Drivers, or chocolate candy. Goal is to lose 8 plus pounds in six weeks. But, the Mrs. wants to do a "All You Can Eat Crab Buffet"....wonderful.

Train room after after lunch, but will work on tax preparations before lunch.

Willie: You have an interesting layout and wow what a staging yard!

Louis: Our house is shaped like an "L" with garage forming the lower leg of the "L". After one especially bad winter storm I opened the garage door that night and the snow had drifted over the top of the door. The drift was like that the entire length of the driveway.

That's all for now.

Greg

############################

Joe - I haven't been to Macy's since they opened. There was a store called the Bon which I think Macy's took over, but it is in the Mall in Bozeman which I avoid at all costs. My wife does stop there from time to time and does get their fliers in the mail, but again, Amazon can easily beat their prices on most items she may be interested in.

Greg - My wife, son and daughter in law have been on the Keto diet for about three years now. I'm not at all interested in it, but over the years she has found a lot of alternative dishes which I sometimes try and are not too bad. She found a place that she orders no car breads and pasta also. Good luck with the diet.

Time to get dressed up and head out to the driveway. Got a bit of snow to move.
thumbnail_20190121_082036.jpg

Later

There was a store called the Bon which I think Macy's took over, but it is in the Mall in Bozeman which I avoid at all costs.

Chet: I shop at Macy's, Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom, only while Christmas Shopping. Otherwise I accompany the wife. Macy's can be useful, and they are always running some sort of sale. Lord & Taylor stopped stocking Petites so my wife stopped going there. Nordstrom? They carry my favorite brands of suit, but I haven't bought a quality suit in at least thirty years. Otherwise they are snooty, and judgmental. I don't need to spend any money there.
I do a lot of shopping at outlet stores. Unlike trains, I need to physically examine clothes, and I want quality for cheap. That requires personal assessment, and Amazon can't do that for me.

Starting my crash diet today...no carbs, no more orange juice as in Screw Drivers, or chocolate candy. Goal is to lose 8 plus pounds in six weeks. But, the Mrs. wants to do a "All You Can Eat Crab Buffet"....wonderful.

Greg: Good luck with the diet. My experience has been that they work best when I don't go crazy over it. Speaking of weight, my weight fluctuates by six pounds up or down every couple of days. My Doctor didn't believe me until I went there and weighed in six pounds lower than previous. Then he took me seriously, but doesn't have an answer. I would probably do my knees good, if I could drop about 20 lbs. of lard, but that's the last stuff to go.

There is a fellow who stops in at the coffee shop on the MR forum, who has lost a bit of weight. He looks real good, and has been able to retire his suspenders.:), so it can be done. Again good luck with the diet.

Going down to the layout for the afternoon.

Boris

Billboard port covington.jpg

Gotta get this resized to an HO billboard! ;)

HO MMID Billboard 001.JPG

Here's one I did earlier, it stood about 5 miles from here, I passed it every day.

20190121_125656.jpg

Yes, this is a real place.

Yes, I like billboards!

Karl ....

I like the billboards. There is a bar near Fairbanks, AK named Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn.

Here is a billboard I made to look like one i saw in Louisville, KY for many years.

36418414696_85f7e02a12_b.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started out today in the 30's and is currently 61. I did some chores this morning then spent a couple of hours applying corrugated panels to 4 fiberboard walls. I still have 4 more to do, hopefully I will get it done tomorrow but I'm doing my first yard rake tomorrow so who knows?

TruckDad- Very impressive hauler.

Louis- Nice tractor loads (John Deere?). All the pictures are great.

Terry- I drove by one years ago in Charleston SC that was pretty small. It sat next to the cruise ship terminal.

Chet- Way too much white stuff and by too much I mean any!:rolleyes:

Karl- Great billboards.

20190121_142350-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back