Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1707472934185.png

Rick M - Railroadfan.com Indiana Northeastern Railroad locomotive no. 2230. EMD GP30. Ex-Pennsylvania Railroad. Built April 1963

Good morning. Best to all going through medical changes and adjustments. It’s not easy growing older!

There is nothing on my agenda today except keep any stress off the knee and ice it a few times. It was great to sleep in my own bed and from pillow time at midnight to 6 I slept great. After breakfast (oatmeal I think) I will sit in the cave with a e-book and the stereo blasting

enjoy the day

Good morning everyone!

Another busy day so the coffee will have to be a to go order.

My daughter has volleyball regionals tonight and it’s an away tournament. Going to be a late night. It’s also at a place that has almost no food options.

Happy Friday all!
Best wishes to your daughter’s team. Always was great to see our kids and now grandson advance to the next step in whatever sport they were playing.

Called the Hospital this morning, that I'm going to on Monday 12th for an Aortic heart valve replacement op to get clear on what I'm expected to take regarding my medications prior to that, no changes needed and I asked about which type I would be getting as I'd been told if it was the metal stent type I would be on Warfarin for the rest of my life. I didn't like that idea. I was assured it would not be and the lady I spoke to looked it up but said it would either be a Cow's or a Pig's one. Once checking she said it will be a Pig's one and I would Oink when I woke up, to which I replied "So long as I don't croak".
All going well, I'll be released on Wednesday.
Best to you Toot!

Good Morning All. It's partly cloudy and 51° to start our day here. While it's expected to be cloudy all day, it will be 72°, so another relatively nice day. Rain expected tomorrow and Sunday with temperatures only in the 50's.

Yesterday was a good day, made the weekly grocery trek successfully, prices seemed to have stabilized a bit; at least on the stuff that I buy. Wife backed out at the last minute, so I had to buy the wine for her! I can never remember which ones that she likes, so I bought bottles that look familiar.
They had the red (purple) onion plants that I needed at Home Depot plus a few other bedding plants. I paid bills and mailed Valentines cards to the grandkids, picked up a prescription and also had a video doctor appointment that was, in my opinion, not needed. He originally scheduled it to discuss the steroid shot that I took for sciatica, and then didn't remember it until I bought it up!
Later in the afternoon after doing laundry and filling up the trash dumpster, today is pickup day, I planted the onion sets. The onion rows are now completed and awaiting tomorrow's rain. That's 188-yellow, 56-white and 72-red ones. I plant many more yellow because they grow best and last the longest in storage. They are sweet onions. They are a variety called Texas (A&M) 1015 Sweet, basically a Vidalia Onion bred by Texas A&M University. They cannot be called Vidalia since the state of Georgia has the exclusive rights to that name.

Today I need to devote to reducing the tree pile into firewood. Remember that the neighboring farmer cut down a bunch of trees growing alongside the easement road since the branch tips were scratching his sparkling John Deere equipment when his crew drove by. By my request, the crew piled them up over on my property for me. While I have made a dent into the pile, I have a lot more to go. It will add to the longevity of my own woodlot. I also need to prune some remaining trees of mine that have branches hanging too low to mow under. Sap will start flowing in about another 3-4 weeks.

Not a particularly noteworthy day out in the train shed yesterday, but I was out there for a while. At this point, I have completed the freight car inspection and cleaning of all cars on the lower level, probably 450. I won't start on the upper level for a while, while I work out the backlog of other projects. I did glue down a bit more ground foam in the cemetery project and I'll start on trees maybe this afternoon.
Rather than return to the archives yet, I will share some pictures from a railfanning trip taken in 2002 with an out of town bankruptcy consultant that my company hired back in the day. Whenever he was in a meeting, he sat in a particular chair in the conference room where he could look out the window and observe the trains going by on the BNSF main line (ex-SLSF/BN) that ran next to our building. The meetings actually stopped when one went by! We met up after work and I took him along a different BNSF main line (ex-ATSF) near where I live,, and down to the Alliance Yard before it got too dark. The pictures aren't all great, as he had his camera settings a bit off.
First it's me 22 years ago.
019_19.JPG

We caught an older ATSF GP40X in Alliance Yard.
004_04.JPG

Here's a couple of 8 axle freight cars coupled together in the yard.
011_11.JPG

012_12.JPG

013_13.JPG

He was excited to catch the Heartland Flyer on it's way back to Oklahoma City.
017_17.JPG

A highlight for him was to find this TFM loco in a lash-up also headed north. TFM was a joint venture between KCS and TMM in Mexico.
006_06.JPG

A few more engines seen that day.
021_21.JPG

025_25.JPG

026_26.JPG

Tom O - I was initially wondering whether we had the real Jaz back as well. A few posts later I knew for sure.
Best wishes with the knee. I'm sure that you will miss the golf. I am surprised at the no swimming edict.
Swal - My guess for the number one rock song on the program that you watched was "Stairway to Heaven". It seems to top all lists and has for at least 30 years.
Hughie - I like the looks of J. Baum Tobacco. It wouldn't fit in well on my layout. It does look like it came directly from George Sellios's Franklin & South Manchester.
Joe - New car bug? Get it before it goes electric.
Ray - Best wishes on the medical front.
Mike - Good luck to your daughter in her tournament. Careful driving home.

National Pizza Day today. I wonder which chains are giving out free slices?

Everyone have a great day and a fabulous weekend.

Good Morning All. It's partly cloudy and 51° to start our day here. While it's expected to be cloudy all day, it will be 72°, so another relatively nice day. Rain expected tomorrow and Sunday with temperatures only in the 50's.

Yesterday was a good day, made the weekly grocery trek successfully, prices seemed to have stabilized a bit; at least on the stuff that I buy. Wife backed out at the last minute, so I had to buy the wine for her! I can never remember which ones that she likes, so I bought bottles that look familiar.
They had the red (purple) onion plants that I needed at Home Depot plus a few other bedding plants. I paid bills and mailed Valentines cards to the grandkids, picked up a prescription and also had a video doctor appointment that was, in my opinion, not needed. He originally scheduled it to discuss the steroid shot that I took for sciatica, and then didn't remember it until I bought it up!
Later in the afternoon after doing laundry and filling up the trash dumpster, today is pickup day, I planted the onion sets. The onion rows are now completed and awaiting tomorrow's rain. That's 188-yellow, 56-white and 72-red ones. I plant many more yellow because they grow best and last the longest in storage. They are sweet onions. They are a variety called Texas (A&M) 1015 Sweet, basically a Vidalia Onion bred by Texas A&M University. They cannot be called Vidalia since the state of Georgia has the exclusive rights to that name.

Today I need to devote to reducing the tree pile into firewood. Remember that the neighboring farmer cut down a bunch of trees growing alongside the easement road since the branch tips were scratching his sparkling John Deere equipment when his crew drove by. By my request, the crew piled them up over on my property for me. While I have made a dent into the pile, I have a lot more to go. It will add to the longevity of my own woodlot. I also need to prune some remaining trees of mine that have branches hanging too low to mow under. Sap will start flowing in about another 3-4 weeks.

Not a particularly noteworthy day out in the train shed yesterday, but I was out there for a while. At this point, I have completed the freight car inspection and cleaning of all cars on the lower level, probably 450. I won't start on the upper level for a while, while I work out the backlog of other projects. I did glue down a bit more ground foam in the cemetery project and I'll start on trees maybe this afternoon.
Rather than return to the archives yet, I will share some pictures from a railfanning trip taken in 2002 with an out of town bankruptcy consultant that my company hired back in the day. Whenever he was in a meeting, he sat in a particular chair in the conference room where he could look out the window and observe the trains going by on the BNSF main line (ex-SLSF/BN) that ran next to our building. The meetings actually stopped when one went by! We met up after work and I took him along a different BNSF main line (ex-ATSF) near where I live,, and down to the Alliance Yard before it got too dark. The pictures aren't all great, as he had his camera settings a bit off.
First it's me 22 years ago.
View attachment 181003
We caught an older ATSF GP40X in Alliance Yard.
View attachment 181004
Here's a couple of 8 axle freight cars coupled together in the yard.
View attachment 181009
View attachment 181011
View attachment 181012
He was excited to catch the Heartland Flyer on it's way back to Oklahoma City.
View attachment 181013
A highlight for him was to find this TFM loco in a lash-up also headed north. TFM was a joint venture between KCS and TMM in Mexico.
View attachment 181015
A few more engines seen that day.
View attachment 181016
View attachment 181017
View attachment 181018

Tom O - I was initially wondering whether we had the real Jaz back as well. A few posts later I knew for sure.
Best wishes with the knee. I'm sure that you will miss the golf. I am surprised at the no swimming edict.
Swal - My guess for the number one rock song on the program that you watched was "Stairway to Heaven". It seems to top all lists and has for at least 30 years.
Hughie - I like the looks of J. Baum Tobacco. It wouldn't fit in well on my layout. It does look like it came directly from George Sellios's Franklin & South Manchester.
Joe - New car bug? Get it before it goes electric.
Ray - Best wishes on the medical front.
Mike - Good luck to your daughter in her tournament. Careful driving home.

National Pizza Day today. I wonder which chains are giving out free slices?

Everyone have a great day and a fabulous weekend.
I can walk in the water just no swimming because of the kicking motion the knee is not ready for. Very similar instructions after the surgery. He did say things will move quick if I listen!

Morning folks

Just a repeat of yesterday with light snow and 25F. My wife ended up on the floor again this morning. Other than a bruised hip, apparently no damage. So far, there has only been one emergency room visit when she fell and caught the back of her head on the edge of the stone step tread into the living room. More slide scanning on today's plate.

Willie: if you Photoshop those scanned slides, you may be able to adjust the lighting and bring out more detail that could be still hiding there.

Good morning, all! Another warm morning, started at 69 degrees, with plenty of clouds. 30% chance of rain later today, and then 70% for Sat. & Sun. Thanks for all the likes on the photo. Willie, funny you should mention Franklin and South Manchester. That has got to be my most favorite layout. I have watched so many videos. It's the little details that George added that really turn the scenes into realistic views. Grass growing in a crack in an old street, discarded newspaper up against a fence.
Toot - Good luck with your procedure on Monday. (Do you think it will affect your taste for bacon?)
Terry - Interview sounds good, Any time frame as to when they might answer?

STAY SAFE
LATER

I have watched so many videos. It's the little details that George added that really turn the scenes into realistic views. Grass growing in a crack in an old street, discarded newspaper up against a fence.
I think that's what made that layout so iconic were those details!

I watch videos of many urban layouts where those details are left out., or maybe the layout owner just hasn't gotten to that stage yet.

I imagine that takes considerable time to get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back