Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

28° and foggy this morning. High later of 58° although it stayed in the 40's yesterday.

Yesterday was a Monday for sure. Had 2 fiber links drop out and one of the main router pairs decided they couldn't figure out what to send where.
After I fixed the links, (fiber fine, lost a couple of GBICs that connect the fiber lines to the router), we had to reboot the entire network. That's never fun. So far everything is still normal.

Troy: Saw your orc with the bobby's uniform. Almost thought it was Shrek.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and a chilly 41° this morning. Aiming for the mid-60's again today. Yesterday's wind finally dried up all of the remaining standing water about the yard. If this summer isn't as hot as last summer, maybe I'll be able to redefine the shallow drainage channels that I had planned to do last year.

Once again this morning will start with household chores, as I ran the dishwasher overnight. Later today I should be able to go out to the garden and "mud-in" the remaining onion sets. I am going to plant a few Radish seeds in our large planter box next to the back porch. They're quick growers and will be out of the way by mid-March in time for my wife to plant her ornamental stuff around the first of April. Our Perennial herbs in there survived the week of single-digit temperatures, although all of the top growth on the Oregano died. The roots have already sent up many new shoots.

All of the postings regarding airplanes and vultures reminds me of this: How come vultures don't take planes? Answer below.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on two ongoing projects. I continued with the inspection and cleaning of freight cars, and only had to clean wheels on 2 of the 30+ that I went through. Over at the cemetery, I finished drilling all of the fence post holes and mapped out the placement of the stone pillars along the front fence. Since this is a small cemetery, the only vehicle allowed inside is going to be the hearse, which I don't have yet (if I ever get one). All visitors will use the head-in parking between the road and the front fence.
I didn't take pictures since it is still uninteresting, so it is back to the archives. Y'all seem to like the photosets of trains running through the layout, so here is another one.
10-04-20 004.JPG

10-04-20 005.JPG

10-04-20 008.JPG

10-04-20 009.JPG

Tom O -
the 3 Amazon distribution centers outside of Austin seem to be vulture magnets.
Birds of a feather, flock together. Jeff Bezos?
Terry -
Willie, maybe you can Google your neighbor's name, and the address of the house, and see if anything pops up.
There might be an article about him, or show the place as being for sale.
Did that about two weeks ago to no avail. His name is the same as the lead singer of a famous 60's surf band, and I just get info on his current tour. I don't really care that much except for the welfare of the Texas Longhorns roaming the pasture. For now, they should be OK since they have access to the fancy lake, and have about 20 acres to graze on, but they will soon need some hay to supplement the winter grasses that they will overgraze. And most likely, the two older cows will be calving soon. No one out here has addresses posted on their property, so that won't work!
Grizzled - I don't expect my neighborhood count to go up at all during my lifetime. We're a tight little friendly group with the exception of one crazy guy. The folks who seem to have moved elsewhere are more than a quarter mile down the road and they are the only ones for more than a mile after that. Other than our small cluster of 6 households on 80 acres, the closest neighbors to the north are 1 1/2 miles away.
Swal - Rock & Roll has always been a passion with me. It's the main reason that I have to wear hearing aids today. I have over 2000 credits on Wikipedia regarding various artists/songs/albums. Add to that, over 80,000 mp3's in the computer, also backed up on a storage drive.

Babe Ruth was born on this day in 1895. No I never saw him.
Answer: Vultures don't take planes because they don't allow carrion luggage.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from Northeastern Florida where there is a wind advisory and temperatures might only hit 60. The last day golfing in Florida. The knee definitely needs to be looked at but the right hand seems fine. Tripping and falling over a bag on the floor in the golf pro shop is not a good thing! I did not sign the injury waiver that was offered to me and right now I am glad I didn’t. Urgent care in this part of Florida doesn’t exist like it does in Wisconsin. But, I did see a doctor yesterday and he said I need to have my orthopedic surgeon look at my knee when I get home. He thought it’s just strained! When I suggested an MRI he said absolutely but the quickest I can get one is Thursday because this is not life threatening. I did call my doctor’s office this morning and talked to the nurse. He was in surgery and will call me some time today.

My brother, my 2 staff here and I will meet with the resort’s Sales staff this evening at 5. The group survey says they love the resort and courses. But again not thrilled with the Winter weather. I think next year we skip Florida during Winter and come back in Spring. 52 responses from the group of 60 golfers here. The next event is in Arizona the last week in March and that will be 100 golfers and 4 golfing days instead of 3.

My brother and I head out tomorrow afternoon to my son’s place in Austin. We will besides visiting with Brian check out a couple golf resorts for next year!

Enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Clear skies and a chilly 41° this morning. Aiming for the mid-60's again today. Yesterday's wind finally dried up all of the remaining standing water about the yard. If this summer isn't as hot as last summer, maybe I'll be able to redefine the shallow drainage channels that I had planned to do last year.

Once again this morning will start with household chores, as I ran the dishwasher overnight. Later today I should be able to go out to the garden and "mud-in" the remaining onion sets. I am going to plant a few Radish seeds in our large planter box next to the back porch. They're quick growers and will be out of the way by mid-March in time for my wife to plant her ornamental stuff around the first of April. Our Perennial herbs in there survived the week of single-digit temperatures, although all of the top growth on the Oregano died. The roots have already sent up many new shoots.

All of the postings regarding airplanes and vultures reminds me of this: How come vultures don't take planes? Answer below.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on two ongoing projects. I continued with the inspection and cleaning of freight cars, and only had to clean wheels on 2 of the 30+ that I went through. Over at the cemetery, I finished drilling all of the fence post holes and mapped out the placement of the stone pillars along the front fence. Since this is a small cemetery, the only vehicle allowed inside is going to be the hearse, which I don't have yet (if I ever get one). All visitors will use the head-in parking between the road and the front fence.
I didn't take pictures since it is still uninteresting, so it is back to the archives. Y'all seem to like the photosets of trains running through the layout, so here is another one.
View attachment 180869
View attachment 180870
View attachment 180871
View attachment 180872

Tom O -

Birds of a feather, flock together. Jeff Bezos?
Terry -

Did that about two weeks ago to no avail. His name is the same as the lead singer of a famous 60's surf band, and I just get info on his current tour. I don't really care that much except for the welfare of the Texas Longhorns roaming the pasture. For now, they should be OK since they have access to the fancy lake, and have about 20 acres to graze on, but they will soon need some hay to supplement the winter grasses that they will overgraze. And most likely, the two older cows will be calving soon. No one out here has addresses posted on their property, so that won't work!
Grizzled - I don't expect my neighborhood count to go up at all during my lifetime. We're a tight little friendly group with the exception of one crazy guy. The folks who seem to have moved elsewhere are more than a quarter mile down the road and they are the only ones for more than a mile after that. Other than our small cluster of 6 households on 80 acres, the closest neighbors to the north are 1 1/2 miles away.
Swal - Rock & Roll has always been a passion with me. It's the main reason that I have to wear hearing aids today. I have over 2000 credits on Wikipedia regarding various artists/songs/albums. Add to that, over 80,000 mp3's in the computer, also backed up on a storage drive.

Babe Ruth was born on this day in 1895. No I never saw him.
Answer: Vultures don't take planes because they don't allow carrion luggage.

Everybody have a great day.

Good afternoon all. I have a damn hacking cough. A PITA. Kept me awake the best part of the night.

Oldest grandson visiting today. Later our daughter will arrive. It will be good to see them both.
Pizza, Lasagne and Garlic Sub Sandwich to cook.. Kids never want to eat the same meal as Dawn and I. At least they are easy to do.

Tom what's going on in FL. I wintered there for 2 years a while ago and it was 75 every day. That was in a town a few miles down for West Plam, Boynton Beach.
Swal
South Florida has much different weather from North Florida. The temps around Miami/West Palm are almost always at least 5 degrees warmer then, say, Jacksonville, and usually more than that.
At least until Summer, when there's only maybe 5 degrees across the state.

Good morning all!

The fog is back with a vengeance! When I ran my daughter to school this morning it was hovering right at 32 degrees, so it was freezing on the roads some. Looks like the temps are now at 40, so its all melted away.

went down to Home Depot earlier to pick up the remaining 2 sheets of foam needed to finish running my mainline. The price before Christmas was $59.00 a sheet. It has now come down to $53.00 a sheet. Plus I had a 10% off coupon that had come in the mail with the credit card statement, so I used that.

Daughters volleyball season is done with regionals this weekend, so train time should become more plentiful after the weekend I hope. They are not as sharp this year as last year for some reason, so I don't anticipate them advancing past this weekend. Don't know if its there age, but they don't seem to be a cohesive team this year. There is a lot of blaming and finger pointing.

Have a great day all!

Morning folks

32F and Mother Nature gave snow an anemic try but apparently gave it up. Another batch of cereal in the oven. That usually takes about 2.5 hours to bake at 250F, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. Sort of time consuming but worth the effort considering what the garbage is on store shelves.

Morning folks

32F and Mother Nature gave snow an anemic try but apparently gave it up. Another batch of cereal in the oven. That usually takes about 2.5 hours to bake at 250F, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. Sort of time consuming but worth the effort considering what the garbage is on store shelves.
My apologies if I missed it in a previous post, but how do you make your own cereal?

Sounds interesting!

Good morning. 40° and sunny. Going to 42°, the coldest day this week. They are looking at 60° later in the week. I might get to paint that background structure I'm working on.

Survived the trip to BJ's, and got outta there having only spent $172.00. They offer more useful grocery items than Costco, and are cheaper than Sam's. Another plus is the round trip is roughly 6 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back