Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those watching for shadows today

It's troy again

In the darkest of times, when the world is bleak and barren, the land itself cries out for a hero. When there are are icy daggers at every turn, shadows lurking, only one rodent will answer the call.

Philapux steps forth, spear ablaze with righteous flame, ready to face the land's grimmest foe. Will you stand with him?
puxfil.jpg

In the darkest of times, when the world is bleak and barren, the land itself cries out for a hero. When there are are icy daggers at every turn, shadows lurking, only one rodent will answer the call.

Philapux steps forth, spear ablaze with righteous flame, ready to face the land's grimmest foe. Will you stand with him?
View attachment 180577

Dawn loves him and will stand with him. I suppose that means I will have to as well.

You accompany your furry leader into the icy crags of the winter's valley, unsure of the foe you'll face.

Philapux assures you that few of the party will survive. The foe is only beaten for a few seasons at best.

Twisting your hand around your spear, your steps hesitate, but your furry leader strides on. If he fears the ordeal ahead he won't show it. That would be weakness at a time when stout hearts and steady nerve are needed most.

You round the bend, squeezing through the tight icy passage, and step out in the glare of the winter sun glinting off the crystalline blue ice. Your heart races, and the icy cold of certain dread clutch your heart and belly.

Fighting the urge to flee in the face of the monster, the best you can muster is a will to not turn and run.

"Come on, lads," Philpux snarls. "That fat lizard is all that stands between us and spring."

Friassail Ice Drag.jpg

Last edited:
You accompany your furry leader into the icy crags of the winter's valley, unsure of the foe you'll face.

Philapux assures you that few of the party will survive. The foe is only beaten for a few seasons at best.

Twisting your hand around your spear, your steps hesitate, but your furry leader strides on. If he fears the ordeal ahead he won't show it. That would be weakness at a time when stout hearts and steady nerve are needed most.

You round the bend, squeezing through the tight icy passage, and step out in the glare of the winter sun glinting off the crystalline blue ice. Your heart races, and the icy cold of certain dread clutch your heart and belly.

Fighting the urge to flee in the face of the monster, the best you can muster is a will to not turn and run.

"Come on, lads," Philpux snarls. "That fat lizard is all that stands between us and spring."

View attachment 180579

As we march with Philapux the sound of bagpipes played by the NorthBrits scare the living daylights of the foe ahead. The enemy flee. Victory is ours.
LONG LIVE PHILAPUX THE BRAVE.

Morning all,

Happy Pork Sausage day! Currently 48° and clear going for a high of 64°. Rain expected overnight and through the weekend.

I may have a reason for my attraction for trains. My daughter sent me a newspaper article about one of my great, great grandfather's being killed by a Michigan Central passenger train in 1901. I don't ever remember hearing about it and it happened long before my grandfather was a twinkle in anyone's eye. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it 🤣.

Already started laundry this morning and went shopping earlier in the week.

BBL

Good Morning All!

36F @ 90% and overcast. Still hitting the 40's during the day. Almost all the snow is gone and the ground is soaking it up. Not the usual mud holes in places. Problem with that is we do not have the normal snow pack up high. Think I read it was 60% of the normal - not good. We usually have 2Ft ice chunks in our creek out back this time of year but nooo, creek is running pretty normal with a few rocks barely covered with ice.

Does February March? No, but April May with June.

As like what Patrick says ... Mom always told me that my love for trains came from my blood father ( I was adopted ) who was a railroader. The man always got up early of which that I continue with. Mom also told me that when I was bugging her too much, she would grab a book and drive over to Parkwater and park. Sometimes we made it to Hillyard. Kept me busy the whole time just watching stuff. As to the trains - well I am here right?

Have a questions that have been bugging me so some of you may be able to provide insight.

We have an older Cougar 5th wheel ( 36Ft I think ). The furnace runs on propane but not off of the shore line. So that leads me to believe either something is wrong with the electrical system, or no electric portion of the furnace. Ideas?

Anybody put a pellet stove in one of these things? There is room in the back of it although getting to the bunk bed and/or sink is a 'slide by' type of operation. Know that a pellet stove will keep the thing pretty warm without using much fuel.

We are never gonna travel in it, but set it up to possibly rent or at least for when company comes by.

Later

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those watching for shadows today

It's troy again

View attachment 180577
My shadow will be bigger than his! But yes I will stand with him

My love for trains comes from a great, great, great grandfather.

He worked for one of the lines between Chicago and Montana.

Poor chap was married nine times. Only divorced once. And all but one of the wive's outlived him. He had a family at each of his main stops... Our family tree has a looooooong branch on it.

Good morning from Hilton Head Island, SC and another day of golf. It’s 43f degrees now but heading into the 60’s. At home in Wisconsin it is 30f with a wind chill feel of 20 degrees heading to 38 and winds staying in the low teens. I am happy to be here.

Another 27 holes today and then the banquet tonight. I leave for Florida after a 11am meeting with the sales and customer service staff here. As a group, 48 of the 60 golfers responded to our online survey. They want to come back but a month or too later in the season for a warmer weather experience. The food is ok with a lot of mixed answers. The rooms are ok, the few guys who responded and are staying in the villas were really happy. This is not a place for a non golfing spouse as there isn’t much to do while the golfer plays. It’s definitely not a time to layout by the pool to catch some rays! The shopping should be better but many of the shops and galleries are still closed for the 🥶. Spring time would be a better time here.

I had time to finish Spiderman Homecoming before dinner last night. That is movie #16 in the Marvel Universe that I have been re-watching in order. However, we had not see any of the SpiderMan movies. Therefore a first time viewing and IMO it was poorly written, the acting was atrociously bad by pretty much everyone but Downey Jr and he’s just ok. In other words a bad movie. Tom Holland playing a 14 year old kid as SpiderMan was not what I was expecting.

After dinner last night and a poor attempt at online retail therapy where nothing was purchased, I re-watched movie #17. The Black Panther and that was very good

I am having breakfast in 90 minutes with Terry’s embezzling niece. She moved out to Hilton Head from Racine, Wi about 15 years ago. One of the most gorgeous and smart women I have ever met, who decided at the dental practice that the dentists were making too much profit. She had to pay the Dental Practice back but she was convicted and put on probation for 18 months, no jail time. She has worked the last 12 years in a dental practice here on the Island but as a Dental Hygienist not the office manager.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 55° out there this morning. No groundhog shadow here today and the forecast is for rain beginning just before sunset and lasting until dawn tomorrow. High yesterday did reach 73°, continued mild weather for the next ten days with highs in the upper 60's except Sunday. Low's will continue to be in the upper 40's to mid-50's. Really too soon to say, but Spring appears to be here.

Yesterday's grocery trek went well, no crowds in the store or on the roads. Produce prices have taken a significant jump, looks to be 4%-5% since last week! Kroger digital coupons have also made a major change. For example, it used to be "save 50¢ if you buy one" now many are "save 50¢ when you buy 2". I saw one for Crest toothpaste that was "save 75¢ if you buy 3". I just don't need to buy 3 at one time. I buy my toothpaste at Dollar General anyway. Gasoline all over town jumped 15¢/gal since last week. That's a big jump for here in Texas. While it hasn't hit $3/gallon yet, it's just 3¢ away. I also noted that the postage stamps that I bought yesterday cost a lot more as well.
I bought my onion plants yesterday and hope to plant them today to take advantage of the potential rain. It doesn't look like I'll be able to till the garden again before I plant, since it's still a bit too moist 4"-5" down. That's all right though as I tilled it all down to a 7" depth just before Christmas. The tiller could go down another 1"-2" if I could do it, but it's not necessary. I vary the depth from one year to the next anyway to reduce the likelihood of forming a hardpan by going to the same depth year after year. I could still till the area that I don't plant to onions in the upcoming weeks. I will be planting them in an 18" wide bed along the western edge so I don't have to stand on (and compress) already prepared ground.
This is what I hope to see in May.
_395f4cd5-5fe3-4c98-9856-bea80e3e4dc9.jpg

Photo AI created with Microsoft Image Creator.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished the other half of the east side cemetery fence.
IMG_1317.JPG

They will ultimately be glued together and will join the north side fence on the layout after painting.
IMG_1318.JPG

There will be a barrier of trees between the cemetery fence and the horse ranch fence.
IMG_1319.JPG

Plus there will be additional vegetation inside the cemetery that came with the kit. Those trees were a birthday gift from my granddaughter and came from China through Amazon.

Bob - Those cats really need to go outside and get some exercise. That is if it is safe to let them out.
Joe - Scott Paper looks like a fitting industry for you. Those walls look familiar. Are they from City Classics' Smallman Street Warehouse kit?
08-11-18 002.JPG

Not a lot happening today besides the attempt at planting. My legs will tell me in the morning how well they are doing after the stooping and bending today.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

I am pretty excited about this news from BLI.....although I do not have many of their products but I am looking forward to seeing this!

Big news from BLI today! UP Business Observstion Cars 101, 102, 103, 114, and 119. Finally something more affordable than $1.5k brass models available now.

FB_IMG_1706882198439.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882195968.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882193639.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882191281.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882198439.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882195968.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882193639.jpg
FB_IMG_1706882191281.jpg

Here is the actual link I found regarding the BLI announcement!!!

Our 9 year old grandson (Thomas) visited yesterday. I picked him up from school. He had a worried look on his face.
"What is the matter?" I asked.
"I have been invited to a sleep over with friends from school."
"Oh the joy of a sleepover with friends. How lucky." I said.

This morning, Dawn said that Thomas had been invited to a sleepover with his 'girlfriend' and another girl. (Dawn is good at getting more information from the children than I.)
Wow. A sleepover with two girls and he is worried!

Broken News: Neither the Pennsylvania Rodent, nor the Staten Island Woodchuck, saw their shadow this morning, implying an early Spring....Of course, one could imply a rigged event because of the chronic cloud cover.

40° and cloudy, with a 40% chance of "Scattered" Showers, going to 46°.

Today's highlight, is the monthly trek to the Pharmacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back