Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
Looks like the east is living in a snowbank these days, and the west is going tropical. We're sitting at 18F this beautiful, star and satellite lite morning. I can still see the Big Dipper.

Yesterday, I worked on the 3rdClass depot.
I carefully cut the windows into those narrow bay-window sides. Those sides pieces are quite small and weak, so I felt it important to get some Stucco-Patch onto them right away. The stuff hardens like rock, but has a plastic feel.
View attachment 181716View attachment 181717View attachment 181718My Stucco-Patch can is over a year old, and it seemed a little too dry to work with. It's too grainy for me. So, I'll try a 2nd coat today with some water mixed in. I'm looking for a consistency where I can just use my thumb to press it on.
Need to remind myself to get the window orientation right, come the time to glue in.

Some of you might remember, that I've used this experimental siding/balsa strengthening technique before, when I scratch-built my 2-car garage:
View attachment 181723
My whole purpose for using balsa and Stucco-Patch, is to keep things cheap. Kits or buying wood siding seems to cost a-lot of money. As it is, I've got a crate of 3/32 balsa sheet left over from R/C days, sandpaper, and cardboard waste; so I figure I've got the stuff to make model buildings. The Stucco-Patch is a-bit pricey, and the Tichy windows cost. But, I think this is about as cheap as I can make it.

I saw someone (in a different context) use drywall mud. Nice and smooth but also stiffening I would guess.

Caramels are made out of condensed milk, and that's the only good thing about that milk!;)

Caramels. Yum. I learned to make them from my grandmother.

My wife, from Japan, puts condensed milk over strawberries. They also sell condensed milk in tubes in Japan. (Same stuff we get in cans here -- not sure how it is sold over there in NL or other old world countries).

Condensed milk is the sweetened thickened milk stuff. Evaporated milk is the unsweetened thick useless stuff.

I've started to only mostly get TEMU adds when on the forum. This popped up in the ads today, repeatedly. I dearly want to know what this is but no way will I click on TEMU or any other ad. But especially the sketchy TEMU.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 8.38.34 AM.png

McLeod I have to make a brick wall and I'm pretty sure I read something about making a mold around the wooden part. Pour some thick plaster, stir well and let it rest to harden. When its not yet completely hardened you can carve the bricks. Paint and waether the project.
Problem is we have magazines but not a way to find something (index). I will try and find something.
Looks good what you are doing. Have you printed the windows and doors yourself?
Mara - I did not print the windows. They are ordered from 'Tichy', which is an American company.
I am aware of the carved rock/brick technique. I have a book by David Wright, 'Making Rural Buildings for Model Railways'. It's an excellent tutorial on how to carve-up modelling clay into beautiful model buildings. You should check it out at the library.
Thanks for the 'atta-boy' on my project!

You guys write so much i can't keep up. This is from saturday and after dreary morning, the sun started poking in between the clouds. I'm thinking why sit inside, time for some winter pictures. I made my way to Enola yard first, then along US 11/15 to Marysville. First an overall look at the Keystone Bridge:View attachment 181674These beautiful stone arch viaducts are next to the old Marysville railroad station:View attachment 181675
Pennsy is right above and the railing is standard Pennsy design.View attachment 181676
The long coal train was waiting to enter Enola Yard:View attachment 181677
The series of duck unders and flyovers was created way before interstate highways were built.View attachment 181678
The rust on that bridge is excellent reference material I hope tloc tom sees it

I do not know what it was/is like across the pond regarding girls and boys. When I was a young boy I was around cousins who were girls and grew up amongst them and their friends who were girls.
These days there seems to be very few girls around. Boys galore wherever we see.

Oh well. Such is life.
May be the media highlights such problems people encourage girls closer to home - only guessing no info for back up

I know I love building things, but not sure i do still when putting bricks on a wall in H0 scale.
The platform has bricks as well (or rather had in the old days)
Platform try modelling on insulation foam
Buildings much trickier as I have no idea of your modelling material preference

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 13
I've started to only mostly get TEMU adds when on the forum. This popped up in the ads today, repeatedly. I dearly want to know what this is but no way will I click on TEMU or any other ad. But especially the sketchy TEMU.

View attachment 181730
Top half could be Moto bike protection gear…
.bottom …..maybe peed off the wife,mistress,girl friend protection gear, does not look comfortable
army gear?
Maybe police but that is usuallyusually black,
colour looks like US military colours.

edited OMG you think it is for a woman, yuk.

Last edited:
Good morning, dang near afternoon!

Happy Presidents day, even thou I am having a tough time remembering one to celebrate. The shop is busy today because of it, everybody off but us mice.
On the other hand, wife has the day off, she works at the County Board of Ed headquarters.

View attachment 181730
Yes, I've seen them too and there is not a snowballs chance that I would order anything from that sketchy outfit. However, I must say the eye candy that pops up is quite nice!
Good Luck George. Hopefully your application will be approved.
Oh yes please!!
Scotch: drink it neat.
Agreed, bourbon also!

Finally, what do you guys (and gals) to restart your modeling mojo? I've got an unfinished main line, unfinished signals to assemble and several unfinished figures and autos in various stages of completion, and honestly, I'm not feelin it. I haven't touched it for a week. I intended to, but either the TV or YouTube or something else just got in the way. Yesterday I didn't even feel like going downstairs, but the cat needed to be fed.
Any ideas?

I didn't know Covid 19 restrictions were still in place? I visit my wife every day. She tells me there's nothing to do here except watch TV. I go to the front desk and ask are there any forms of entertainment here like Bingo, magic shows guitar players etc. The person tells me Covid 19 restrictions are still in place therefor we cannot bring anyone in to perform. I go back to my wife's room and explain. We live in New York one of the most screwed up states in the union. This is the reason I started taking down my train layout. I told her we should sell the house and move south as soon as possible.
Swal

Morning folks

A rather pleasant 39F. Yesterday, I sorted all of the pieces of the basket case PFM Heisler out of their hiding spots. I bought that as-is 25 years back from a friend and I'm uncertain why most of it was disassembled. I'm also not sure why PFM chose a 65 ton for the prototype. Apparently only three of those were manufactured and photos are hard to come by. I would like to reassemble it as a specific locomotive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back