Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Truckdad .... Apparently, the Rivarossi car has been modified with an interior lighting kit. . ... The original car would have the truck mounted with a plastic pin that can be pulled out easily. Your screw must have a nut inside the car...... You can remove the roof, but first know how the roof is made. The clear "glass" windows are part of the roof piece. (The roof is painted on clear plastic). The bottom of the car has slots with plastic tabs (clear plastic) visible from the bottom. The tabs latch the roof/window piece to the car. .... Remove the roof/window piece by first moving each tab so it unlatches. A small screwdriver is a good tool for that. All tabs must be unlatched simultaneously, and that can be tricky. To hold each latch open, use toothpicks. Push upward on the latches until there is a gap where the roof meets the side of the car. Pry it upward at the gap. .....

Chet .... Thanks for the prayers. ... I like your rail photo.
Thanks GARRY. After Chet's message I looked closer. No nut so I pulled a little harder on the pin and out it came. Metal with a knurl like an old school wheel stud. Dave

That's why the Good Lord gave us two arms.:)
And a crotch to hold it with:
FB_IMG_1546560605787.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did chores and grocery shopping today. I did get a little modeling time in. I finished putting together another shack that goes on the roof (not glued down yet). I also made a mockup hanging roof to work with tomorrow. The build has 2 of them and I haven't done one before.

Tom- Nice looking weathering.

Dave- Congrats on your milestone.

Chet- Weird weather. Nice rail shot.

Garry- I'm sorry it sounds like your MIL is declining in her health. Nice layout shot.

20190203_152529-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening gang,
Been a busy weekend with the GF. But gosh, ya gotta love her. We went to the Timonium train show Saturday, and while I was busy buying tools, t-shirts and ordering a craftsman kit of a local station , she was paying attention. While we were making our rounds there was an artist there selling signed and numbered prints of his work. He had done 1 Western Maryland print and it caught my eye. Unframed for $30.00, or framed for $225.00. I remarked that I liked it, but not framed for $225.00! We moved on. Shortly before we were to leave, she excused herself to the ladies room. She caught up to me a few minutes later with this.....
poweronthegrade.jpg

(sorry for the distorsion, had to have a high camera angle to get away from the glare)
wrapped in clear plastic against a cardboard backing, it will be getting framed real soon! It is called "Power on the grade " and depicts a WM J1 4-8-4 Potomac and an I2 2-10-0 , both engine types I have in brass. Once it gets framed it will be on the wall above the basement steps, visible to all who enter my domain!
Like I said, I gotta love her!

Bust My Wallet, Feeble Italian Attempted Transportation, Gay Mans Chevy, I could go on but there are a few others that I've heard, but can't repeat.
Mega Bucks.
Big Money Walking
Vulture Wattle
Gotta Mechanic Coming

Yes
Good Morning Guys. 58° and cloudy this morning. Might see the sun later this afternoon. High should reach 70° later today and 78° tomorrow. Yesterday was only 63°, but I did have to ditch the jeans for shorts and work on tanning my legs. Once again this week, we're making the grocery/beer trek on Sunday since it's currently the only day off that my wife has during the early tax season peak for returns. Her current customers are all beneficiaries of wealth redistribution, they pay no taxes and receive Earned Income Credit from you and me.
Since it misted most of the day yesterday, I spent extra time in the train shed. Made some more progress on the town project, reminds me that I need to name this place. Accidentally dropped a figure on the floor and I absolutely cannot find it, more frustrating is that I vacuumed the floor Friday and it's clean and it should have been easy. I'll widen the search area today. Other than Kadee coupler springs, I usually can find all dropped objects.

Mark, Tom and others - It's not the thought of weathering an expensive locomotive, it's just that I just haven't attempted one yet. I guess that I didn't word that right. Only about 20% of my freight cars are done. I get the urge every once in a while and do two or three, but that's only a very small dent in the 800 overall cars on the layout. Currently my goal is to scenic more of the layout first.
Beady - While I won't be watching the Super Bowl, I won't be dancing in the mountains in a dress and apron like you!o_O
Tom - That is a nice job weathering the locomotives.
Chet - That's a drag regarding the doctor.
Louis - I'm with you on the goulash without the pasta, that's how I make mine. The meatballs look great by the way. Let's see, when I come to visit you, I expect to eat crab cakes, goulash and meatballs!;)
Seeing stuff while delivering reminds me of stuff that I saw as a kid collecting money from customers on my paper route back in the 60's. Not only did people not close their curtains because the homes were on 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots; but many folks didn't get dressed when they answered the door.
Dave - Congratulations on the milestone. You're making excellent progress.

Today is the 60th anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". February 3, 1959 was the day of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson). Trivia for Louis; Waylon Jennings who was in Buddy Holly's band at the time, gave up his seat on that plane to The Big Bopper, who had the flu that day. Tommy Allsup, well known musican and another member of Holly's band lost a coin toss to Ritchie Valens for the last seat. I was just getting into music at that time, it has since become an obsession.

Everybody have a great day. Wish I could send some of this weather north, but it just doesn't work that way.

Willie: I've learned simple trick is to lay on the floor with your head turned to the side and scan across the surface for something laying on it. I found many things that way. Another way might be to get the toe section from an old nylon stocking from your wife and stuff most in the vacuum nozzle and roll it over a ways and tape it good to the nozzle and then let vacuum suck up what your not seeing as you wave it around the floor area where you dropped it !

You also might be able to use a flexible mirror on a handle while sitting in a chair to scan across the floor surface while looking down on the mirror. Hth

Good morning....

David Trussrod, Louis, Karl and others .... Thanks for the thoughts and prayers regarding my MIL .

Louis .... I like your photos of GG1's, the B&O Geep, etc.

Willie ... That is sad anniversary of the plane crash

I am looking at Louis's picture of the B&O Geep. I am focusing on the track, station, platform, and ground. . The track ballast and station platform covered in dirt and grime. .... When making scenery , it helps to look at photos of the real thing. Brick station platforms should look like that.

I attempted to make dirty station platforms in Prairie View as can be seen in this photo.

36369787610_b93039834e_b.jpg

Garry: Your attention to detail is very good, that's why your station scene looks so realistic.

Afternoon All,

Did chores and grocery shopping today. I did get a little modeling time in. I finished putting together another shack that goes on the roof (not glued down yet). I also made a mockup hanging roof to work with tomorrow. The build has 2 of them and I haven't done one before.

Tom- Nice looking weathering.

Dave- Congrats on your milestone.

Chet- Weird weather. Nice rail shot.

Garry- I'm sorry it sounds like your MIL is declining in her health. Nice layout shot.

View attachment 34059

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Your Feed and Tack store is coming along nicely, the little roof she'd I a nice touch.

1549272147119.png

PRR E class Atlantic and train at the LV's Wilkes Barre station in 1948. LV, PRR, and D&H used this station at one time.

1549272320430.png

Classic photo of one of the Reading Company Class N1sd four cylinder heavy duty steam locomotives at home here at the St Clair, Pa. Yard coaling facility. Gives the full perspective of the length of locomotive as well as the background of twin water tanks and the far end of the coaling dock hopper car ramp. When built the wheel arrangement included a trailing axle making it a 2-8-8-2, later removed in a rebuilding program. No, I am not aware of the photographer that took the photo. Looks like taken by a speed graphic camera. No company initials.
Robert Wanner - ‎Friends of the Reading Railroad

Patriots 13, Rams 3
Great game! It was supposed to be, according to some "experts" a high scoring game. It turned into an old school brawl and battle for field position, I loved it! By dominating the time of possession the Patriots wore out the Rams defense and that was that.
Bill Belichick is brilliant. I have never been and never will be a fan of the Patriots, but you have to give them credit for what they have accomplished.

So, am I the first today? Nope, not even! But, I can talk about my weather: Temperature is a sultry 20 above and fog and clouds with the possibility of from 5 to 8 inches of snow tonight. Late Monday night it looks like we will dip below zero for a short while down to -10 below. There will be a few dips below zero during the week. Barometer is at Two Niner Point Six Five and will be climbing steadily up to Three Zero Point Eight Two on next Friday evening. The barometer seems to be very stable this next week. There will be wind over the next week; but, nothing higher than 15 MPH.

Bruette, I found the USS Constellation at the "Historic Ships in Baltimore" pier. And on the other side of the pier Google Earth shows the "Pride of Baltimore", with her rig removed. I have been aboard the "Pride" a couple times when she has come to Duluth, MN for the "Tall Ships" event. Never has so much wood been so wonderfully varnished! I am a sailor in the summers here on Leech Lake in Minnesota and have a deep interest in historic Sailing Ships.

Bruette, I have been to Baltimore, when I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds for Truck Mechanic School in the U.S. ARMY in 1970. I have worked on many Jeeps; but, these where Ford Products; the M151, M151A-1 and M151A-2. No comment about whether they where good; or, not!

Mark, enjoy your heat wave while it lasts.

I love the water, I'm fascinated by any and all war ships, but I no longer have interest in sailing or even motor boating. Too much work for me to call it a hobby and my back would not hold up to even slightly choppy water. When I was young I enjoyed boating, but the Chesapeake and her tributaries can be fickle. You can set out when the water is like glass, a few hours later and there is a raging thunder storm. I been aboard when racing a storm back to the dock. It's not my idea of fun at this stage of my life.

My boys and I love all the historic tanks at the proving ground. I had the privilege of watching tanks run the test course. I was running a crane for a roofing company as they replaced the roof on the waste water treatment plant. The test course was next door.

Good Morning all,

42 degrees to start the day. Going up to the low 50s. This warm spell has sure put a dent in the snow pack. Looks like we could be in for more winter weather later in the week. Possibly snow, or freezing rain. Heck the weather folks don’t have a clue at this point.

Have a great day!

Good Morning Guys. 58° and cloudy this morning. Might see the sun later this afternoon. High should reach 70° later today and 78° tomorrow. Yesterday was only 63°, but I did have to ditch the jeans for shorts and work on tanning my legs. Once again this week, we're making the grocery/beer trek on Sunday since it's currently the only day off that my wife has during the early tax season peak for returns. Her current customers are all beneficiaries of wealth redistribution, they pay no taxes and receive Earned Income Credit from you and me.
Since it misted most of the day yesterday, I spent extra time in the train shed. Made some more progress on the town project, reminds me that I need to name this place. Accidentally dropped a figure on the floor and I absolutely cannot find it, more frustrating is that I vacuumed the floor Friday and it's clean and it should have been easy. I'll widen the search area today. Other than Kadee coupler springs, I usually can find all dropped objects.

Louis - I'm with you on the goulash without the pasta, that's how I make mine. The meatballs look great by the way. Let's see, when I come to visit you, I expect to eat crab cakes, goulash and meatballs!;)
Seeing stuff while delivering reminds me of stuff that I saw as a kid collecting money from customers on my paper route back in the 60's. Not only did people not close their curtains because the homes were on 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots; but many folks didn't get dressed when they answered the door.

Today is the 60th anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". February 3, 1959 was the day of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson). Trivia for Louis; Waylon Jennings who was in Buddy Holly's band at the time, gave up his seat on that plane to The Big Bopper, who had the flu that day. Tommy Allsup, well known musican and another member of Holly's band lost a coin toss to Ritchie Valens for the last seat. I was just getting into music at that time, it has since become an obsession.

Everybody have a great day. Wish I could send some of this weather north, but it just doesn't work that way.

Willie, I'm for starting a new political party. Our platform would be an equal flat tax for all, no exemptions, no loop holes, no credits. No more incentives to cheat and no more incentives to be lazy.

I have often wondered how much of my life I have spent looking for stuff?

Please come and be my honored guest, you name the menu. Hospitality is a Hungarian tradition. I'm not Hungarian, but my Hungarian wife rules the kitchen when she is not working. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen myself and like you I enjoy cooking.

I delivered news papers myself in the 70s, not much had changed :) Our experiences are not for a family friendly forum. :) The lonely housewives were easily the most interesting and enlightening. ;)

Louis - I would also vote for the3 meatballs in second place. My grandfather is Hungarian and he knew all of the dishes. Great photos as usual. I especially like the GG-1's. I liked the White Castle. Nonoe up here, but when we were living in Florida, I would get a sack of them for lunch when I was near one.

Chet I'm sure your grandfather showed you a whole new world of food. My wife and I have been together for over 15 years and she still surprises me with new delicacies.

I was a White Tower fan, almost a carbon copy of White Castle. I can't say why those little hamburgers were so good, maybe the chopped onion, but I loved them!

I hope you find relief for your shoulder and get back to bowling, I imagine you miss it.

Good evening gang,
Been a busy weekend with the GF. But gosh, ya gotta love her. We went to the Timonium train show Saturday, and while I was busy buying tools, t-shirts and ordering a craftsman kit of a local station , she was paying attention. While we were making our rounds there was an artist there selling signed and numbered prints of his work. He had done 1 Western Maryland print and it caught my eye. Unframed for $30.00, or framed for $225.00. I remarked that I liked it, but not framed for $225.00! We moved on. Shortly before we were to leave, she excused herself to the ladies room. She caught up to me a few minutes later with this.....View attachment 34060
(sorry for the distorsion, had to have a high camera angle to get away from the glare)
wrapped in clear plastic against a cardboard backing, it will be getting framed real soon! It is called "Power on the grade " and depicts a WM J1 4-8-4 Potomac and an I2 2-10-0 , both engine types I have in brass. Once it gets framed it will be on the wall above the basement steps, visible to all who enter my domain!
Like I said, I gotta love her!

Karl, I'm glad to hear it, you are blessed, I'm happy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back