Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1549189223260.png

Brunswick, MD 1975. The east bound station is just out of the photo on the left.
Ray Soderberg‎ - Baltimore & Ohio Fans Worldwide

So, am I the first today? Nope, not even! But, I can talk about my weather: Temperature is a sultry 20 above and fog and clouds with the possibility of from 5 to 8 inches of snow tonight. Late Monday night it looks like we will dip below zero for a short while down to -10 below. There will be a few dips below zero during the week. Barometer is at Two Niner Point Six Five and will be climbing steadily up to Three Zero Point Eight Two on next Friday evening. The barometer seems to be very stable this next week. There will be wind over the next week; but, nothing higher than 15 MPH.

Bruette, I found the USS Constellation at the "Historic Ships in Baltimore" pier. And on the other side of the pier Google Earth shows the "Pride of Baltimore", with her rig removed. I have been aboard the "Pride" a couple times when she has come to Duluth, MN for the "Tall Ships" event. Never has so much wood been so wonderfully varnished! I am a sailor in the summers here on Leech Lake in Minnesota and have a deep interest in historic Sailing Ships.

Bruette, I have been to Baltimore, when I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds for Truck Mechanic School in the U.S. ARMY in 1970. I have worked on many Jeeps; but, these where Ford Products; the M151, M151A-1 and M151A-2. No comment about whether they where good; or, not!

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy ...

I see everybody is having fun with car names.

Volkswagen pronouncd “Folks Walking”.

We just got back from Nashville. Assuming , Shelley’s Mom recovers, she has a very long recovery ahead of her. Very weak. 77 pounds. Mental capabilities reduced.

Willie and Curt ... Thanks for thoughts and prayers.

Garry, I'll continue to keep her on our prayer list.

It's fun to come up with names for car manufacturers; however, my personal beliefs are that cars are far better today than they ever have been! They are much more expensive to fix, too. I have owned most of the American Brands of car manufacture and think all are on a par, as far as quality. I know I am painting myself into a corner; but, brand loyalty is only just that, brand loyalty and not based on reality! For some reason we all like to think our insights into things are are the only real way to go! So go ahead and believe you know what's best.

It's fun to come up with names for car manufacturers; however, my personal beliefs are that cars are far better today than they ever have been! They are much more expensive to fix, too. I have owned most of the American Brands of car manufacture and think all are on a par, as far as quality. I know I am painting myself into a corner; but, brand loyalty is only just that, brand loyalty and not based on reality! For some reason we all like to think our insights into things are are the only real way to go! So go ahead and believe you know what's best.
I think I mentioned a couple of pages back, that nobody makes "junk" any more.
Many of these "nicknames" using letters from the manufacturer is a way for us old technicians to remember how to spell the names correctly.
Pathetic Little Yuppie Machine Only Underperforms Tired Hondas.

Good Morning Guys. 58° and cloudy this morning. Might see the sun later this afternoon. High should reach 70° later today and 78° tomorrow. Yesterday was only 63°, but I did have to ditch the jeans for shorts and work on tanning my legs. Once again this week, we're making the grocery/beer trek on Sunday since it's currently the only day off that my wife has during the early tax season peak for returns. Her current customers are all beneficiaries of wealth redistribution, they pay no taxes and receive Earned Income Credit from you and me.
Since it misted most of the day yesterday, I spent extra time in the train shed. Made some more progress on the town project, reminds me that I need to name this place. Accidentally dropped a figure on the floor and I absolutely cannot find it, more frustrating is that I vacuumed the floor Friday and it's clean and it should have been easy. I'll widen the search area today. Other than Kadee coupler springs, I usually can find all dropped objects.

Mark, Tom and others - It's not the thought of weathering an expensive locomotive, it's just that I just haven't attempted one yet. I guess that I didn't word that right. Only about 20% of my freight cars are done. I get the urge every once in a while and do two or three, but that's only a very small dent in the 800 overall cars on the layout. Currently my goal is to scenic more of the layout first.
Beady - While I won't be watching the Super Bowl, I won't be dancing in the mountains in a dress and apron like you!o_O
Tom - That is a nice job weathering the locomotives.
Chet - That's a drag regarding the doctor.
Louis - I'm with you on the goulash without the pasta, that's how I make mine. The meatballs look great by the way. Let's see, when I come to visit you, I expect to eat crab cakes, goulash and meatballs!;)
Seeing stuff while delivering reminds me of stuff that I saw as a kid collecting money from customers on my paper route back in the 60's. Not only did people not close their curtains because the homes were on 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots; but many folks didn't get dressed when they answered the door.
Dave - Congratulations on the milestone. You're making excellent progress.

Today is the 60th anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". February 3, 1959 was the day of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson). Trivia for Louis; Waylon Jennings who was in Buddy Holly's band at the time, gave up his seat on that plane to The Big Bopper, who had the flu that day. Tommy Allsup, well known musican and another member of Holly's band lost a coin toss to Ritchie Valens for the last seat. I was just getting into music at that time, it has since become an obsession.

Everybody have a great day. Wish I could send some of this weather north, but it just doesn't work that way.

Good Morning Guys. 58° and cloudy this morning. Might see the sun later this afternoon. High should reach 70° later today and 78° tomorrow. Yesterday was only 63°, but I did have to ditch the jeans for shorts and work on tanning my legs. Once again this week, we're making the grocery/beer trek on Sunday since it's currently the only day off that my wife has during the early tax season peak for returns. Her current customers are all beneficiaries of wealth redistribution, they pay no taxes and receive Earned Income Credit from you and me.
Since it misted most of the day yesterday, I spent extra time in the train shed. Made some more progress on the town project, reminds me that I need to name this place. Accidentally dropped a figure on the floor and I absolutely cannot find it, more frustrating is that I vacuumed the floor Friday and it's clean and it should have been easy. I'll widen the search area today. Other than Kadee coupler springs, I usually can find all dropped objects.

Mark, Tom and others - It's not the thought of weathering an expensive locomotive, it's just that I just haven't attempted one yet. I guess that I didn't word that right. Only about 20% of my freight cars are done. I get the urge every once in a while and do two or three, but that's only a very small dent in the 800 overall cars on the layout. Currently my goal is to scenic more of the layout first.
Beady - While I won't be watching the Super Bowl, I won't be dancing in the mountains in a dress and apron like you!o_O
Tom - That is a nice job weathering the locomotives.
Chet - That's a drag regarding the doctor.
Louis - I'm with you on the goulash without the pasta, that's how I make mine. The meatballs look great by the way. Let's see, when I come to visit you, I expect to eat crab cakes, goulash and meatballs!;)
Seeing stuff while delivering reminds me of stuff that I saw as a kid collecting money from customers on my paper route back in the 60's. Not only did people not close their curtains because the homes were on 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots; but many folks didn't get dressed when they answered the door.
Dave - Congratulations on the milestone. You're making excellent progress.

Today is the 60th anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". February 3, 1959 was the day of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson). Trivia for Louis; Waylon Jennings who was in Buddy Holly's band at the time, gave up his seat on that plane to The Big Bopper, who had the flu that day. Tommy Allsup, well known musican and another member of Holly's band lost a coin toss to Ritchie Valens for the last seat. I was just getting into music at that time, it has since become an obsession.

Everybody have a great day. Wish I could send some of this weather north, but it just doesn't work that way.
Willie I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy Allsup and watching him play at some private venues, up close. He was an amazing guitarist and would have been more well known but he seemed to shy away from the limelight. Western swing music lost a great one when he died last year.
Dave

Good morning....

David Trussrod, Louis, Karl and others .... Thanks for the thoughts and prayers regarding my MIL .

Louis .... I like your photos of GG1's, the B&O Geep, etc.

Willie ... That is sad anniversary of the plane crash

I am looking at Louis's picture of the B&O Geep. I am focusing on the track, station, platform, and ground. . The track ballast and station platform covered in dirt and grime. .... When making scenery , it helps to look at photos of the real thing. Brick station platforms should look like that.

I attempted to make dirty station platforms in Prairie View as can be seen in this photo.

36369787610_b93039834e_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.................overcast and very mild with the snow piles disappearing. Looks mild again tomorrow and then we have Mark's snow coming our way.

Short and sweet this morning since I have to find all the end of the year statements I forgot to organize as they arrived in the mail.

Chet: By February 15th you'll be as good as new without the doctor.

Willie: My floor is litter with parts that I can't find...especially small screws and hand rails.

That's all for now folks....!

Greg

Whooo! It rained most of the afternoon and evening. There was another 2 - 1/2 inches in my bucket this morning.
We have not experienced this much moisture (it seems) since the 1993 season which flooded most of Old Town.
Anyway, our average yearly is 12.26 inches.
It should only reach 54 for a high today and the sun was peeking around a while ago, but has decided to go back to sleep - supposedto have scattered showers today, heavy tomorrow and scattered angain Tuesday.

I spent a goodly portion car shopping on the internet. The Pacifica will have to have another catalitic converter a year from now when it is due for smog testing - just barely made it the last time after many attempts. We want to get something thatwe can use for a "family" car and be able to tow it with the RV. There is just not much out there without going back to a manual tranny - which we would rather not! Found a pristine Honda Fit, 2014, white (wanted) with nav installed and only 11k miles. Think I will go and check it out Monday. Any ideas from all you car gurus out there?

Good Morning Everyone,

Very warm start to the day at 41 degrees. As Greg stated in his post, our snow is slowly disappearing too. there is just so much out there.

Not much train rlated today. With the cold weather last week I was at work more than usual, so things at home slipped. Wife has some chores for me to get done.

Happy Sunday all!

Whooo! It rained most of the afternoon and evening. There was another 2 - 1/2 inches in my bucket this morning.
We have not experienced this much moisture (it seems) since the 1993 season which flooded most of Old Town.
Anyway, our average yearly is 12.26 inches.
It should only reach 54 for a high today and the sun was peeking around a while ago, but has decided to go back to sleep - supposedto have scattered showers today, heavy tomorrow and scattered angain Tuesday.

I spent a goodly portion car shopping on the internet. The Pacifica will have to have another catalitic converter a year from now when it is due for smog testing - just barely made it the last time after many attempts. We want to get something thatwe can use for a "family" car and be able to tow it with the RV. There is just not much out there without going back to a manual tranny - which we would rather not! Found a pristine Honda Fit, 2014, white (wanted) with nav installed and only 11k miles. Think I will go and check it out Monday. Any ideas from all you car gurus out there?
The Fit is a good car, if you don’t mind a very small car.
One word of caution, though, make sure the transmission is in neutral before towing. A friend of mine found out the hard way what happens to the engine in a manual transmission Fit if you leave it in first gear and tow it at 70mph for about 10 miles. “Catastrophic damage” doesn’t even begin to describe it.

The Fit is a good car, if you don’t mind a very small car.
One word of caution, though, make sure the transmission is in neutral before towing. A friend of mine found out the hard way what happens to the engine in a manual transmission Fit if you leave it in first gear and tow it at 70mph for about 10 miles. “Catastrophic damage” doesn’t even begin to describe it.

The number of autos made with automatic trannys that can be towed 4-down is pretty limited - that you don't have to do special things in order to tow.
A "Fit" prior to 2015 is one of them. Also looking at CRV too! BIL has one that has been awesome with over 200k on it.

Gentlemen, I need to remove this truck from the Rivarossi passenger car but I don't want to break anything. I'm sure someone knows how. I have looked on utube and in the forum here but I figured I'd go to the best place to ask.
Dave
IMG_3732.JPG

Good afternoon. A stranger start to the day today. At 5 am it was 34 degrees and by 6:30 the temp had dropped to 8 degrees and a north wind brought some light snow, coming in sideways. The sun came out for a few minutes and now snow again. Looks like the kind of day to spend in the train room.

Louis - I would also vote for the3 meatballs in second place. My grandfather is Hungarian and he knew all of the dishes. Great photos as usual. I especially like the GG-1's. I liked the White Castle. Nonoe up here, but when we were living in Florida, I would get a sack of them for lunch when I was near one.

Terry - I have never been a big Ford fan, but have had a few over the years. Right now my wife has a 2006 Taurus and it is a great little car. All she needs is something to get back and forth from work and get groceries. She was driving my hand me down Buick Regal which we sold with 275,000 miles on it. It went on until it was T boned at 380,000. Love the GM 3800 V6. That's the same engine I have in my LeSabre and average 29 to 31 mpg around town and love the ride. Great on the highways. It will be run until the wheels fall off because the new cars now just have way too much technology that I have no interest or need for. I have cash in hand but I'm just not willing to pay what the want for a car that I can't get the way I would like it. I have a number of classic cars to drive when the weather is good.

Garry - Excellent photo (as usual) Nice scene. Hope Shelly's mom has a quick recovery. Prayers for her.

Sherrel -
Keep that moisture down there. We have some of it now and it is no longer liquid.

Dave -
Look inside the car if you can and see if there is a nut holding the truck on. Those Riverossi car have had so many changes over the years. I have dealt with them in the past and now avoid them. As Karl mentioned, those Mantua locomotives are quite rugged. A bit of cleaning a dn some light lubrication should keep it running for a long time.

Willie - It is a bummer with the doctor. No ones fault. We had a really nice young man wanting to bowl on pout league, and he did realize that it is almost impossible to find a spot mid season, so we are using him as a sub for me until I find out what is going on with my arm. Have to drink beer left handed.

Here's a rail photo for today.

RElaxing-railroad-track-wallpapers-8.jpg

Just glance out the window to see the snow coming down sideways. Time to head to the train room. Later.

Gentlemen, I need to remove this truck from the Rivarossi passenger car but I don't want to break anything. I'm sure someone knows how. I have looked on utube and in the forum here but I figured I'd go to the best place to ask.
Dave

Dave Truckdad .... Apparently, the Rivarossi car has been modified with an interior lighting kit. . ... The original car would have the truck mounted with a plastic pin that can be pulled out easily. Your screw must have a nut inside the car...... You can remove the roof, but first know how the roof is made. The clear "glass" windows are part of the roof piece. (The roof is painted on clear plastic). The bottom of the car has slots with plastic tabs (clear plastic) visible from the bottom. The tabs latch the roof/window piece to the car. .... Remove the roof/window piece by first moving each tab so it unlatches. A small screwdriver is a good tool for that. All tabs must be unlatched simultaneously, and that can be tricky. To hold each latch open, use toothpicks. Push upward on the latches until there is a gap where the roof meets the side of the car. Pry it upward at the gap. .....

Chet .... Thanks for the prayers. ... I like your rail photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back