Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back................

Chet: Great video of the Empire Builder on your club layout. That NP ABA consist looks very business like and ready to pull a 50+ car train up a grade.

Lunch and then trains.

I think thar maybe tomorrow I'll install a sound decoder n my older Milwaukee Road Steward F9 Unit that I have a non -powered B Unit for that I purchased as a set at Trainfest years ago for a little over $100.00. The sound decoder cost almost as much as the A & B Units. Inflation!

Later.

Greg

After several days of feeling really good, I'm back in the crapper. I wonder how much of it could be weather-related? The last few days we've been under a high pressure area; now we're expecting a severe temperature drop accompanied by high winds. About all I've got energy for is watching Bob Ross on Netflix.

Chet no matter what it is, if you are happy with it you should stick with it. Like the old saying, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
Probably one of the fellows I passed last night. 440 miles in the fog sometimes less than 100 yards visibility. I made an observation. People driving with their bright lights on. I don't understand. How they could see anything other than the fog? I tried it once or twice as soon as I turn on the high beams all I can see is white immediately in front of the car. Anyway eventually I started noticing a pattern in the headlights of the cars with their high beams on who didn't dim upon approaching facing traffic. Note that this is farm country so about 65% of all vehicles on the road are pickup trucks, also this is farm country where pickup trucks have to do real work daily so 70% of the pickups are Fords. In the headlight "wars" I began to notice that the trucks with the high beams on seemed to be the Chevy's. So I started paying more attention. Sure enough bright lights - Chevy. Then I thought perhaps the Chevy lights were just designed such that they just "looked" like brighter lights than the other vehicles, but soon proved that theory wrong as I passed some that were not bright. Near the end it also seemed that the bigger the truck the more likely the bright lights were on. Buy the time I made this observation it was too late to gather enough data to confirm or refute that, but my hypothesis is that a big 3500 dually, with brush bars almost guarantees its brights were going to be on. What is up with that?

My first non-railroad related post, but I have not other place to vent.
It's a good place to vent, lots of good listeners in here, I bend their ears regularly.

My observation, the bigger the pickup, the smaller the driver.

After several days of feeling really good, I'm back in the crapper. I wonder how much of it could be weather-related? The last few days we've been under a high pressure area; now we're expecting a severe temperature drop accompanied by high winds. About all I've got energy for is watching Bob Ross on Netflix.
If Bob Ross can't make you feel better nothing will!

Sometimes the weather kicks my ass, sometimes nothing, go figure. I have noticed the change in barometric pressure seems to be worse then a sustained low pressure, but I still can't say anything for sure.

My wife always makes me a hot tea, I can't say it helps, but it does taste good and I don't think it will hurt.

Moving around a little bit does seem to help me, but the "snap, crackle and pop" upsets my wife.

I hope you feel better.

HORSEMAN! I'm convinced that many out here are not aware that they have a dimmer!
I know they are not aware of the "blinker" fluid level - and I still hate LED headlights!

Louis .... Sorry to her about Aunt Joan - how is she? Prayers for her recovery.

HORSEMAN! I'm convinced that many out here are not aware that they have a dimmer!
I know they are not aware of the "blinker" fluid level - and I still hate LED headlights!
One of my new cars has LED headlamps. I can see the "line" where they sweep the horizon. One of my other cars has the "projector" type headlights (neither of which I was driving last night). Fortunately they are both low profile vehicles so I am not blinding "shorter" cars like the high profile pickups can even on low beam, but I still sometimes feel sorry for the people coming against me. I get "flashed" a lot.

If Bob Ross can't make you feel better nothing will!

Louis: Are you sure? How about the O's winning their first pre-season game over the Twins, and the Red Sox beating the Yankees? That would make anyone feel better, (except Yankees fans).

Best wishes for Aunt Joan. I'll pray for her complete recovery.

I wonder how much of it could be weather-related?

Beady: May be something to that. We have had more low barometer days than average this winter, and I have not felt good most of the winter. The cloudiness creates this feeling of impending doom.

Chet: Those F7s look real good. Hopefully, someone will sync the F9 to blend in with the Walthers units.

Horseman: My F150 sits high to accommodate the FWD. I imagine that that affects the lights as viewed by opposing drivers. I don't usually drive after dark any more, so I'm not really sure.

Boris

I'm back again!!!!

Finished ballasting and gluing down sections of the track that lead into the Pine River yard (SOO LINE). I have maybe three feet of track to go and then that's off my to do list. As I was gluing down the ballast I noticed that I never painted the rails and ties. The ties are somewhat hidden but the rails need some paint. I'll use some micro brushes and Rail Brown and paint the rails that are visible. I'll vary the color a bit with Pastels after painting the rails.

The rails on the layout were sprayed "Light Earth" from I believe Testor's. I have a three foot section of double rail leading to the Saxeville Interchange that I'll spray. I still have several unopened cans of the spray paint which should still be usable.

Added some finishing touches to a Walters building and installed real dirt and sand for the loading area for cut pulpwood. This area is hard to see, but needs to be finished. It's behind the Pool Hall and House of Ill frame building.

I started a thread about finishing areas that visitors can't see so I adding this thought. I have an opening in the layout that's a limestone quarry. Three of the sides are finished but only those areas that a visitor or operator could see. Hidden from view for most is an array of plaster, wood, dripped scenery materials and wires. Some of these areas I'll finish so if an operator needs to use the access hole to re-rail a car the illusion of a real railroad in miniature will not be damaged by all those distractions. Just by simply gluing some ground foam or ???

Cathy was cleaning out an old dresser in the new freight yard area that we haven't used in at least 25 years. She found a collection of vintage cameras, old yearbooks and an original newspaper with the headlines that Pearl Harbor was bombed.

I also found in my work bench drawers, a Tomar crossing signal with four LED's that matches the one that's already installed. I just forgot to add this second set of flashers and perhaps tomorrow I drill the hole and string the wiring. All of the wiring for the crossing detection, flasher unit and bells sounds are wired to a 12 position terminal strip so finding the terminals for the flashing LED was easy. I had already wired extensions and resistors to the second signal.

Tomorrow is another day..... my back hurts from all the getting into position by lifting and pushing up into the quarry access opening.

Greg

##########################

"Model Railroading is Fun"

Last edited:
Evening All,

Just finished up daughter's birthday get together. While SIL was here we changed out the filter cannister easy peasy. Tomorrow we are meeting friends in the afternoon. Probably no trains until Monday.

Louis- Prayers for Joan.

Willie- Great layout photos.

Dave- Cool looking loco.

Sherrel- Thank you. Actually I did look on Amazon and I found one but it was over $300.

I hope everyone has a good night.

...And just like that, it started raining again. Forecast says it should stop tomorrow--sometime.

Howdy ..

Weather guessers were correct ... We had rain storms all afternoon with flash flood warnings.

Chet ... I enjoyed the EB video.

Louis .... Sorry to her about Aunt Joan - how is she? Prayers for her recovery.

Thanks Sherrel, Yesterday she was transferred to a rehabilitation center. Physically she is slowly improving. I know from experience the mental aspect takes much longer.

Louis: Are you sure? How about the O's winning their first pre-season game over the Twins, and the Red Sox beating the Yankees? That would make anyone feel better, (except Yankees fans).

Best wishes for Aunt Joan. I'll pray for her complete recovery.

For Beady, Bob Ross is a better choice, he is not a sports fan.

For me, no doubt a birds win would brighten my day. I think I dislike the Red Sox even more than this Yankee team. I admire the way the Yankees built this team, but I still can't understand why they let Girardi go?

Thank you for praying for my Aunt Joan. I believe she can and will recover. She is a lady of great faith. When she regained consciousness they were asking her questions about herself, she answered "I pray to God everyday" My Mom made a great choice for me to have her be my God Mother.

Evening All,

Just finished up daughter's birthday get together. While SIL was here we changed out the filter cannister easy peasy. Tomorrow we are meeting friends in the afternoon. Probably no trains until Monday.

Louis- Prayers for Joan.

Curt, Happy Birthday to your daughter and I'm glad the filter cannister replacement went smooth.

Thank you for your prayers.

If you see or talk to Phil, please tell him I have not forgotten about him, I'll get back to him asap.

Good morning Everybody!

Much better day today. Seems like when the weather stays put I feel better regardless of good or bad weather, it's the changes that seem to bother me. To be honest, I have no idea. Everyday I wake up is a good day, some are just better than others.

1551005766458.png

Chuck Thompson, Bailey Goss, Ernie Harwell seated in announcer's booth during Baltimore Orioles baseball game. - circa 1956
Mike Elliott‎ - Golden Days of Baltimore Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back