Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Hiawatha Hobbies was at their former location, actually in Waukesha, I used to go there almost weekly for a few items and leave with lots of stuff that I wanted after walking around their "Model Railroad Candy Store".

One day I wanted some wire and ended up leaving with two matching SOO RS-1 locomotives, four or five Kadee pieces of rolling stock and some decoders. Excellent service both in person at their bricks and mortar store as well as their on-line web store.

!00% rating!
The track I bought was $12 cheaper than anywhere else so I'm a new customer of theirs
George.

Nancy Pelosi now seems to think it's Ok for lawmakers and their families to own stocks...she must have looked at her portfolio...:rolleyes: She also acknowledged that we live in a free market economy.
She has always believed in stocks, she just has her husband do all of the investing. From what I have read lately, they are doing well; I don't know if there is any insider stuff going on or not. In a different article, I read that an investment group has started an ETF that mimics their stock moves since they seem to be doing well. She is one of the wealthiest politicians in Congress.

I don't know if there is any insider stuff going on or not.
A little information at the right time goes a long way...I think this goes back to some criticism she made during the previous administration. You know the old story about those who live in glass houses...:rolleyes:

Seems like everyone is getting Covid this week. At least that was the gist of the evening news. Every NYC news broadcast was trying to out hype the others with numbers.

The temperature made it to 63° this afternoon, and it's 59° now. I was out for a while, and it was quite nice. Now they are predicting a 59° high for Friday. The current conditions are messing with my over the air TV signal though. Guess I will never find out if there is treasure buried on Oak Island. :eek:

I do not drink much soda, I pretty much got out of the habit once I retired. Used to drink diet all the time. Now, I alternate between water, coffee, and tea.

Now, I alternate between water, coffee, and tea.
I like some of the "flavored" water - I try to stay away from the sugar. I lived on coffee and coke up until I retired and then magically switched to Dr Pepper from coke - then Diet DP.
NOW IT'S JUST COFFEE AND THE FLAVORED WATER WITH an occasional beer and
bourbon and wine with the lady of the house.

I like some of the "flavored" water - I try to stay away from the sugar. I lived on coffee and coke up until I retired and then magically switched to Dr Pepper from coke - then Diet DP.
NOW IT'S JUST COFFEE AND THE FLAVORED WATER WITH an occasional beer and
bourbon and wine with the lady of the house.

I like flavored water too.
Especially when it was flavored by exposing it to sour mash, heat and time.

I AGREE!

1639715400248.png

As fate would have it, I ran into both the Dr Pepper lady, and the Coca Cola guy today at the grocery store. The Dr Pepper lady confirmed what I suspected and said that their naming conversion was completed earlier this fall. They are not renaming Diet Dr Pepper, but all other products have been renamed. She said that their formulations have not been changed at all. I can attest to this because I did a side by side taste and ingredient check on Sugar-Free A&W Root Beer when I saw the change back in May or June.
The Coca Cola guy said the same about the formulas, they had not changed. He also stated that there are still both products in the pipeline and the conversion was not yet completed. That's why there are some of both labels on some shelves. He said that he is attempting as time permits to consolidate the "diet" labeling in select high volume stores to move inventory more rapidly. He did not volunteer whether any products would remain "diet", as he said that they weren't briefed on that yet.

Interesting. Coke has had Coke Zero (their sugar free product) and Diet Coke out for several years now and in the same stores (I've not seen them limited to only certain stores) and also both in fountains. I've seen Diet Coke ads recently as well, so I doubt they would be moving off something they are still actively advertising. Same with Mt Dew -- they've had their sugar free and diet versions out for a good while concurrently.

We'll have to see how it plays out. I am not sure that the guy delivering to the store is the guy to ask about the corporate strategy for products. There may be an ultimate long term shift as the old fogeys used to the "diet" versions die off and the younger generations take over (who prefer "sugar free" to "diet").

Good morning from So. Central Wi were the temperature is so different then this time yesterday. It was 60f at 1 am with a 35mph breeze plus gusts up to 60 and today it is 24f with a 4mph breeze. Today walking in the woods just was not a real option. Trees and branches down and maybe 3 total but separate hours of sleep it wasn’t worth being out there.

Was at the Clinic at 1:15 and never have gone in with a notebook of issues with #1 being sleep. Lots of bloodwork and a pill for sleep. It sort of works but if you realize what time I am writing this, just a partial success. Took the pill at 10:15pm and tried the bed at 11. Slept until 1 when Mother Nature said it was time for a pit stop. Now I am not tired enough to sleep.

I actually feel good but would like another 6 hours of sleep. I will dig out the pills and the name for a later discussion.

Hiawatha Hobbies, Greg and me are definite supporters and now we have at least 2 new users. I love online shopping, the ease of ordering but walking into Hiawatha is different. It is 70 miles from home and a few blocks off II94 in Peewaukee, Wisconsin. I have been known with Terry to just go for a drive after eating breakfast or lunch out and drive there.

Online shopping has become a necessary FIL for many modelers. Not in order but these are my 12/2021 favorites.

HIAWATHAHOBBIES.com, great search engine for online and the good old brick and mortar feeling if you are a walk in, great inventory. Pricing can be stunningly excellent dropping down to better then good. They have a clearance shelf but you pretty much have to ask to see it In store. Not the best organized store

MIDWESTMODELRR.COM, stunningly large store in Independence Missouri just outside of KC. Online line search engine was great but something changed in the last few weeks. Pricing IS good to excellent depending on specials or sales. The multi time delivery of daily emails is annoying to me. A must stop if you are in the KC area. Because the store is also their online warehouse there is no pricing on the product but very well organized

WALTHERS.COM, if you are heading to Hiawatha this is another must see but check the showroom open times. Excellent clearance section, very nice layout that is used in there commercials and videos. Of course an excellent inventory. Super if you get the sometimes excellent sale pricing. I know Greg used to hit up the showroom.

LOMBARDHOBBY.COM, another large store, feels almost new it is so organized and clean. When they tell you where the product is, that is actually where you find it.

SCALE MODEL SUPPLIES in St. Paul. If they have an online presence I have not been able to find it. This is a walk in shop. Big, big, good prices, lots of NOS, tough neighbor hood but they have a parking lot next to the store.

That’s my main list and it does change often because I go through bouts of online retail therapy.

Enjy the day
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back