Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of aliens this is what mine thinks of us

Attachments

• DSC_0295.JPG
    DSC_0295.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 62
George walking into Hiawatha is like being in a candy store for model train guys. Greg, lives just a few miles from there.

When Hiawatha Hobbies was at their former location, actually in Waukesha, I used to go there almost weekly for a few items and leave with lots of stuff that I wanted after walking around their "Model Railroad Candy Store".

One day I wanted some wire and ended up leaving with two matching SOO RS-1 locomotives, four or five Kadee pieces of rolling stock and some decoders. Excellent service both in person at their bricks and mortar store as well as their on-line web store.

!00% rating!

Something else to get all lathered up about? Like anything else that's controversial, no one person with strong beliefs is going to convert another strong person with different beliefs. This is not the first time we have had extremely mild temperatures this time of year, but the storms do appear to be more violent. Nothing I can do about it.
Very true, they do say the sun cycles have impact and they know of the 11 year sun cycle perhaps there are longer ones we have not managed to record, who knows, all we can do is guess, and I have an opinion but I agree long run I’ll never know the right or wrong of it.

The fact that climate changes and is impacted by solar flares, sunspots, volcanic eruptions (cause of the mini-ice age) are answers... I used to believe they were THE answers.

But then I realized I didn't understand the question.

Cat is back to snoozing in his box by the french doors where he can watch LIVE ACTION birds and squirrels. But, we don't have any feed in the feeders. He might come back to the TV after I shake the treat bag.

Good Afternoon Everyone......overcast and the winds are dropping in velocity after last night's high winds.

This week has been full of med appointments and most of them in mid-day so that ties up essentially a full day. Today's the last appointment for Cathy at her dentist and I finished mine yesterday. My tests turned out for the most part satisfactory with some follow-up needed as expected. The busy schedule just ruins any chances for time in the train room.

Puppy sitting for Riley who's becoming a spoiled canine and always wants attention. She's in her crate just outside my computer/office/guest room sound asleep. Christmas Eve should be fun for her with the six of us here to play with Riley. Cathy's sister and her daughter are coming from Arizona, plus an aunt and an uncle will be here for the evening. We have reservations during the week for a heated dome at one of the popular bar and grills in the area. One way to dine outside in a Wisconsin winter.

It maybe a bit early, but are any of you planning and New Year's Resolutions for the coming year in your model railroading life. I know my goal is to spend two afternoons a week in the layout room. Time to get a few things done. I have a small, maybe 5 x 6 inch section of the layout to finish the landscaping along with the tunnel to travel from the original layout to the new future expansion area.

I saw on sale an adjust height stool that I purchased for use at my workbench and hopefully the layout. My mechanics's chair woks nice but with my old knees a little hard to get off, especially after sitting for a while.

Another goal is to install decoders in some of the locomotives I purchased years ago and the locomotive were never run. I been debating if I should sell them as NIB at a swap meet or with the decoders installed that I've purchased for them. Several of the locomotives can be paired in a consist and are of the same model, but different unit numbers.

Train watching and rail fanning are two other goals for 2022.

Looking for some great advice for building structures, check out Jason Jensen's web pages.

Here's an example...."How to Make Plastic Look Like Wood".

That's about all for now.

Greg

#################

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours in the train room today. I got the ground cover down in the second third of the engine facility except for static grass and weed clumps. Speaking of weed clumps, I went to order more from Scenic Express and discovered that their cheapest shipping for probably 4 oz of merchandise is $16.95. I said forget it (along with a couple of other words). I found another source for the materials. That shipping is beyond ridiculous. Scenic Express has most likely lost a customer.

Sherrel- Great looking dog. Sorry about what happened to her and your son for that matter. My son had the same philosophy about getting the vaccine but after having Mom nag him about it for a month, he got it for peace and quiet. Daughter (schoolteacher) got it as soon as she was eligible.

Mike GTW- Great looking dog also.

IB Ken- Nice looking shifter.

Ken- Condolences on the loss of your previous co-worker.

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

Mikey- Nice photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

My wife spoils me. She just brought my dinner on a tray. Johnsonville grillers, two patties with a slice of Land o Lakes American cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise on a fresh Kaiser roll. Along with a piping hot can of spinach! I finished the spinach, I always eat that first, but I could not finish the sandwich. The beagles will help me. I ate my dinner as I watched the original animated version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" 😁 I almost forgot to mention my big glass of milk!
I did a PM on our Chevy Sonic today. I got everything ready and realized I only had two quarts of oil! I went to the local auto parts store and I was shocked to see the price for a five quart container of Mobile 1 full synthetic oil was $39.99! I usually get it from Amazon because they drop it off at my door for about $25.

I had a full and productive day, but I faded about 2pm, almost 12 hours after i started. My wife worries too much and I think spoiling me is her way of dealing with it, I'm not complaining! She is amazing, she was more productive than me and she made me dinner! I am so lucky to spend every day with her!

I hope Everybody had a good day and has a good night!

Last edited:
Actually a lot of the brands are coming out with "Sugar Free" drinks but also have their "Diet" drinks. I know Coke has both Coke Sugar Free and Diet Coke, and Mountain Dew also has Diet Mountain Dew and Sugar Free Mountain Dew (though all the non old school dew versions are only Sugar Free, if at all available in non sugared version). I believe I've seen Pepsi with both variants on the shelf and the fountain as well.

I think the difference is that the Diet versions are the traditional version with Nutrasweet and the Sugar Fre often use something else as a sugar replacement.
As fate would have it, I ran into both the Dr Pepper lady, and the Coca Cola guy today at the grocery store. The Dr Pepper lady confirmed what I suspected and said that their naming conversion was completed earlier this fall. They are not renaming Diet Dr Pepper, but all other products have been renamed. She said that their formulations have not been changed at all. I can attest to this because I did a side by side taste and ingredient check on Sugar-Free A&W Root Beer when I saw the change back in May or June.
The Coca Cola guy said the same about the formulas, they had not changed. He also stated that there are still both products in the pipeline and the conversion was not yet completed. That's why there are some of both labels on some shelves. He said that he is attempting as time permits to consolidate the "diet" labeling in select high volume stores to move inventory more rapidly. He did not volunteer whether any products would remain "diet", as he said that they weren't briefed on that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back