Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 71°, which is actually going to be as high as it gets today, gradually dropping to 56° by tomorrow morning. Slept with the windows open on the last two nights. Incredibly windy day yesterday, averaging 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph. And get this, my stupid neighbor about a quarter mile south, had a landscaper start to burn a big pile of brush...it hasn't rained here in over two weeks and everything is as dry as can be. I'm upwind of the fire and concerned about it spreading in the high winds. Just to be spiteful and cautious, I called 911 and two different VFD's came out and doused it. The county fire marshal gave him a citation since we were under a burn ban. This guy and his wife came from the city a couple of years ago and he's an idiot and they think that they are better than any of the neighbors. I won't go on about them because it makes me mad; but it's their 100 acres and they can do what they want as long as it doesn't affect the rest of us. Fortunately there is another 100 acres of winter wheat between us which wouldn't have burned, but the unmowed road ROW would have gone up in a flash if the fire had gotten out of control.

OK, I am settled down now. Heading out to do the weekly grocery/beer trek today, with the intent to get two weeks worth of provisions so I don't have to go next week. We're planning out the Christmas weekend right now. My two daughters and their families will be here Christmas Eve afternoon just because my wife insists. Cocktails and light food are going to be served. My son and family will be staying in San Antonio as they're hosting the newly born grandson and my DIL's brother's family from Great Britain. Christmas morning we go to North Dallas for our traditional Christmas brunch and gift exchange at daughter #1's home. Since my daughters married either Jerseyites or Pennsylvanians, we have Taylor Ham along with waffles, bacon and Mimosas. Afterwards, we move over to daughter #2's home for the traditional (now) prime rib and Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner. There is a wasted three or so hours in between, but I will take a nap at one or the others while my wife watches football. Sunday is the gigantic get together at my brother's house for between 46 and 52 people. We chose a couple of years ago to forgo the enormous sit down dinner since the host families were getting old and the second generation wasn't picking up the slack. Cocktails, appetizers and dessert there. Monday is the get together with my wife's side of the family at a restaurant in Ft Worth, which will be a much smaller affair. Maximum of 16 people.
So much with my social life!!! Needless to say, I will miss he train shed.

So Flo, how about a BLT this morning, heavy on the bacon. Sugar free A&W Root Beer to go with it.
Has anyone else noticed that "diet" drinks are no longer "diet" drinks, but "sugar-free" drinks now? I guess that "diet" offends somebody! A&W and other Dr Pepper drinks switched late last spring, and I noticed in the grocery store last week that many Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola products are being renamed as well.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding my latest structure upgrade; Christian, Guy, James, Joe, Sherrel, Patrick, Chad, Steve J, Tom O, Gary, Karl, Jaz, Hughie, Moermusic, Louis, Curt, Tom, Rick, Dave, IB Ken.

What did I do out in the train shed yesterday? Nothing tangible! I cleaned up the area that I am working in, and surveyed the overall scene to determine how to proceed. I posted yesterday about the loading area on the brewery.
IMG_0050.JPG

Here's a couple of approach shots.
IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

That curved spur leads to the other industry in this area.
IMG_0048.JPG

One thing that's holding me up is this blank area between the brewery and the Precision Electrical Controls factory. I don't have anything that I can put there yet, and it may or may not be rail-served. So do I add the spur now???
IMG_0049.JPG

Decisions, decisions, decisions!
I did play with trains for a while after looking at things, since I hadn't done that in a while.

OB Ken - Neat layout for a modular club. I miss the camaraderie of being able to meet with other modelers being isolated as I am, and no longer having the LHS to go to.
Christian -
You live in a very dangerous country.
One might say that. I feel comfortable after living here for 41 years. Better here than under 6' of snow all winter, or in a crime-ridden city environment with neighbors 25' away!
Joe - Good luck with the kitty in the car! Thank you for the compliment on the building. I still have a cigar store Indian that I want to add to the scene, but it is too tall for the porch. I also haven't painted it yet. That will be the hard part.
Jaz -
You guys really should duplicate some of these great reference pictures in to a prototype area, there really is sone excellent work,which people won’t find.
I would do a lot more on this forum if I only had the time!
Curt - Hmmmh! That's a good idea regarding the handicap shower chair!
Sherrel -
P.S. Meant to say: When I come downstairs with my hair like ROD"s -- my wife tells me--
Do not sit down until you go and comb your hair!
Welcome to my world, except it's the beard and I ignore her!

Everybody have a great day and stay safe.

Hello Happy People !
I really need your help. So thank you in advance. I want to build a DC reversing loop as easy as possible. I found this very simple electronic diagram.
Two questions:
-Does it really work?
-How it works ?

View attachment 136992
Christian, in order for it to work you will need a device like the Atlas Twin. It has two switches, one for the main line, and one for the reverse loop. Wire the reverse loop to one switch, and the rest of the layout to the other switch.
when the train reaches the reverse loop you will need to operate the switch so the train continues through it. While the train is in the loop, operate the switch to the rest of the layout, so it will continue on without shorting once it emerges from the loop.

Well, howdy there, internet people in the cafe... even you dog people.

It's Troy again.

Today, we're going talk about cats. And how to properly entertain them.

I heard on one of my podcasts about youtube channels dedicated to keeping your cat entertained with TV.

I found this channel...

Neither my wife nor I thought our cat, Lord Fuzzbutt, would be interested. So I put one of these on the TV, then enticed LFB down with his string toy. We played for a bit, and I put the toy up by the TV... half an hour later LFB is still watching. Wife even came down, got some fluffy rubs, and he's back watching... He's the black blob at the bottom of the photo

Sometimes, you just never know

CatTV.jpg

BRRRR! 34 degrees F this morning! My body is not liking it this cool. Everyone has their heavy coats, snow boots, and thick bulky sweaters on. BAH- HUMBUG, I'll take the shorts and halters any day!

Politicians are mostly all the same! They all have their hand in someone else's pocket, and all want to control how each of us lives and thinks ... just leave me "the f%%k alone.
Climate change - the climate has been changing since the dawn of creation ... and man's efforts are not going to change it!

FLO -- Coffee and bacon please!

Climate change discussions?
Something else to get all lathered up about? Like anything else that's controversial, no one person with strong beliefs is going to convert another strong person with different beliefs. This is not the first time we have had extremely mild temperatures this time of year, but the storms do appear to be more violent. Nothing I can do about it.

Christian, in order for it to work you will need a device like the Atlas Twin. It has two switches, one for the main line, and one for the reverse loop. Wire the reverse loop to one switch, and the rest of the layout to the other switch.
when the train reaches the reverse loop you will need to operate the switch so the train continues through it. While the train is in the loop, operate the switch to the rest of the layout, so it will continue on without shorting once it emerges from the loop.
thankyousign.gif

Has anyone else noticed that "diet" drinks are no longer "diet" drinks, but "sugar-free" drinks now? I guess that "diet" offends somebody! A&W and other Dr Pepper drinks switched late last spring, and I noticed in the grocery store last week that many Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola products are being renamed as well.

Actually a lot of the brands are coming out with "Sugar Free" drinks but also have their "Diet" drinks. I know Coke has both Coke Sugar Free and Diet Coke, and Mountain Dew also has Diet Mountain Dew and Sugar Free Mountain Dew (though all the non old school dew versions are only Sugar Free, if at all available in non sugared version). I believe I've seen Pepsi with both variants on the shelf and the fountain as well.

I think the difference is that the Diet versions are the traditional version with Nutrasweet and the Sugar Fre often use something else as a sugar replacement.

Good morning y'all. We are in the 50s with sunshine, right now, and headed for the 60s. Looks like we may get a nice day out of this. Tomorrow is more of the same before the weather changes.

No Jury service again today. One more day to worry about.

Watched the Capitals lose to the Blackhawks in OT, last night. NBC Sportsnet is not sending their broadcasters on the road with the team. The Washington commentators worked the game from the studio in Metro DC. Saving travel expense, maybe?

Christian Brothers Brandy is not available this year...I seem to recall they were impacted by one of the wild fires...Wife's Fruitcake recipe calls for soaking the fruit for a day in Brandy. Hope the substitute meets the taste test.

Hard to believe that December is half gone already...

Nancy Pelosi now seems to think it's Ok for lawmakers and their families to own stocks...she must have looked at her portfolio...:rolleyes: She also acknowledged that we live in a free market economy. :eek:

New York implemented a mandatory masking policy...Jersey didn't...of course, NY's governor is running for re-election, while Jersey's is not...All Covid 19 fears are not equal. Most people here in the shore area are not masking, even though the public health people tell us we are having a Covid spike...

It has been a week since I finished my anti-antibiotics and steroids. I'm beginning to feel the pain return...:mad:

I took some time paging through 35 pages of in stock HO items, from a major East Coast dealer, and I was surprised what was not moving.

Just some random thoughts.

Oh Joy -- The EX just called me and informed me that "our" son has COVID! He lives in Phoenix and went into the hospital Thursday - home today, but feels so bad that he may go back she said. He has not called to tell me because he told her that I will yell at him for NOT getting vaxed -- neither of my two offspring are vaxed - IDIOTS.
Sorry to hear this despite the fact he is an idiot I hope for your sake he gets the other side intact,especially his ears,so you can deliver the idiot text.

BRRRR! 34 degrees F this morning! My body is not liking it this cool. Everyone has their heavy coats, snow boots, and thick bulky sweaters on. BAH- HUMBUG, I'll take the shorts and halters any day!

Politicians are mostly all the same! They all have their hand in someone else's pocket, and all want to control how each of us lives and thinks ... just leave me "the f%%k alone.
Climate change - the climate has been changing since the dawn of creation ... and man's efforts are not going to change it!

FLO -- Coffee and bacon please!
In the 1600 England suffered a ‘mini’ ice age the river Thames was so frozen they held winter fairs on it, at the time of the Romans they were growing wine here in the UK something we have barely managed the last couple of decades, some claim they grew olives we certainly can’t do that, Roman houses were clearly designed for warm weather, as you say a good volcano does a lot more harm harm than we manage,although I thing deforestation is stupid, and telling someone they cannot sell wood,oil,coal,gas in 20-30 years just means they sell as much as they can now so making matters worse,politicians will offset it for someone else to do in the future when they are well gone, Germany is about to nose dive and Merkel has abandoned the boat hoping not to be associated with the fall out. Water does rise and fall that is no doubt,we live near low water levels,but they claim we are deep deep trouble and will be underwater by 2100, well I’ll be long dead,and frankly I suspect they could do a Holland dyke thing,in fact there are ones already about.The number of underground earthquakes and tsunamis is an issue certainly Japan, Indonesia and some have certainly had backlash. plus we bough w0 acres and we have now how a couple of thousand trees 20-30 foot high that we built,we do solar,have an EV and grow wood for our woodburner,so I am fairly smug,which probably is not clever because you know what they say comes before a fall. BBut I agree man may scratch the surface,but the ecology is likely beyond our control, although the rich are probably planning to use Musk to decamp Earth all together,and I say good luck with that, much easier to make homes to cope on Earth than a barren planet.

Talking of which why oh why do we broadcast we are here,anything likely to find our space messages is likely to think food,slaves, or fertiliser,or kill us and have a nice planet to occupy.What idiot keeps showing where we are when we cannot defend ourselves.

Troy, back in the olden days when there was no internet, and dinosaurs ruled the Earth, we discovered an aquarium filled with fish would serve the same purpose. My son coined the term “Cat TV”.
I reeeeeeeeeeeealy considered setting up a reef tank when we got the new condo.

But, I don't have to clean the tank nor feed the birds/fish/squirrels on TV

And that $2k spend to set up the tank, went to trains and layout stuff. ;)

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 71°, which is actually going to be as high as it gets today, gradually dropping to 56° by tomorrow morning. Slept with the windows open on the last two nights. Incredibly windy day yesterday, averaging 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph. And get this, my stupid neighbor about a quarter mile south, had a landscaper start to burn a big pile of brush...it hasn't rained here in over two weeks and everything is as dry as can be. I'm upwind of the fire and concerned about it spreading in the high winds. Just to be spiteful and cautious, I called 911 and two different VFD's came out and doused it. The county fire marshal gave him a citation since we were under a burn ban. This guy and his wife came from the city a couple of years ago and he's an idiot and they think that they are better than any of the neighbors. I won't go on about them because it makes me mad; but it's their 100 acres and they can do what they want as long as it doesn't affect the rest of us. Fortunately there is another 100 acres of winter wheat between us which wouldn't have burned, but the unmowed road ROW would have gone up in a flash if the fire had gotten out of control.

OK, I am settled down now. Heading out to do the weekly grocery/beer trek today, with the intent to get two weeks worth of provisions so I don't have to go next week. We're planning out the Christmas weekend right now. My two daughters and their families will be here Christmas Eve afternoon just because my wife insists. Cocktails and light food are going to be served. My son and family will be staying in San Antonio as they're hosting the newly born grandson and my DIL's brother's family from Great Britain. Christmas morning we go to North Dallas for our traditional Christmas brunch and gift exchange at daughter #1's home. Since my daughters married either Jerseyites or Pennsylvanians, we have Taylor Ham along with waffles, bacon and Mimosas. Afterwards, we move over to daughter #2's home for the traditional (now) prime rib and Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner. There is a wasted three or so hours in between, but I will take a nap at one or the others while my wife watches football. Sunday is the gigantic get together at my brother's house for between 46 and 52 people. We chose a couple of years ago to forgo the enormous sit down dinner since the host families were getting old and the second generation wasn't picking up the slack. Cocktails, appetizers and dessert there. Monday is the get together with my wife's side of the family at a restaurant in Ft Worth, which will be a much smaller affair. Maximum of 16 people.
So much with my social life!!! Needless to say, I will miss he train shed.

So Flo, how about a BLT this morning, heavy on the bacon. Sugar free A&W Root Beer to go with it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding my latest structure upgrade; Christian, Guy, James, Joe, Sherrel, Patrick, Chad, Steve J, Tom O, Gary, Karl, Jaz, Hughie, Moermusic, Louis, Curt, Tom, Rick, Dave, IB Ken.

What did I do out in the train shed yesterday? Nothing tangible! I cleaned up the area that I am working in, and surveyed the overall scene to determine how to proceed. I posted yesterday about the loading area on the brewery.
View attachment 136985
Here's a couple of approach shots.
View attachment 136986
View attachment 136987
That curved spur leads to the other industry in this area.
View attachment 136991
One thing that's holding me up is this blank area between the brewery and the Precision Electrical Controls factory. I don't have anything that I can put there yet, and it may or may not be rail-served. So do I add the spur now???
View attachment 136990
Decisions, decisions, decisions!
I did play with trains for a while after looking at things, since I hadn't done that in a while.

OB Ken - Neat layout for a modular club. I miss the camaraderie of being able to meet with other modelers being isolated as I am, and no longer having the LHS to go to.
Christian -

One might say that. I feel comfortable after living here for 41 years. Better here than under 6' of snow all winter, or in a crime-ridden city environment with neighbors 25' away!
Joe - Good luck with the kitty in the car! Thank you for the compliment on the building. I still have a cigar store Indian that I want to add to the scene, but it is too tall for the porch. I also haven't painted it yet. That will be the hard part.
Jaz -

I would do a lot more on this forum if I only had the time!
Curt - Hmmmh! That's a good idea regarding the handicap shower chair!
Sherrel -

Welcome to my world, except it's the beard and I ignore her!

Everybody have a great day and stay safe.
Willie

yep, lots of the diet sodas are going away by name. The word “diet” intimidates the millennials and genZer’s per an local news article about why Pepsi is eliminating the diet word. Those 2 generations want life to be fun and exciting and the word diet isn’t part of that.

Here in So Central Wisconsin though we still have the diet Dr Pepper in bottles but not cans, the cans are sugar free only. A&W Root beer is only sugar free in cans and bottles and I have 1 6 pack of bottles left. I don’t pay attention to Coke Cola products. Pepsi is still diet but diet Cherry Pepsi can’t be found around here lately. Regular Diet Pepsi has also become hard to find in bottles or cans. Prices on the Pepsi products have gone from 4 for $10.00 to $12.98 for 4. The Dr Pepper family of sodas was 4 for $8.88 but now is 4 for $10.00. No idea on Coke products but uou can see who does the soda shopping here

TomO

Good morning from windy So. Central Wisconsin. I have an appointment for 1:15 today for a substitute Doctor as it is my Doctor’s off day. We shall see what this doctor says.

Stock trading: I have no issue with any politician trading stocks. Just do it via a blind trust and stop the “legal to Congress only” insider trading.

Take away the super dooper whooper great health benefits the Congressional member and staff get. If Medicare is good enough for the seniors in this country it is good enough for congress.

Broadcasting to space. The aliens are here anyway, why don’t they come out? But, yep, we have no defense if they decide they are more powerful

Life is good, I just wish I could remember how to sleep.

TomO
C81D6E07-D37C-4D2E-8307-7D13FA62A3FA.jpeg

In the 1600 England suffered a ‘mini’ ice age the river Thames was so frozen they held winter fairs on it, at the time of the Romans they were growing wine here in the UK something we have barely managed the last couple of decades, some claim they grew olives we certainly can’t do that, Roman houses were clearly designed for warm weather, as you say a good volcano does a lot more harm harm than we manage,although I thing deforestation is stupid, and telling someone they cannot sell wood,oil,coal,gas in 20-30 years just means they sell as much as they can now so making matters worse,politicians will offset it for someone else to do in the future when they are well gone, Germany is about to nose dive and Merkel has abandoned the boat hoping not to be associated with the fall out. Water does rise and fall that is no doubt,we live near low water levels,but they claim we are deep deep trouble and will be underwater by 2100, well I’ll be long dead,and frankly I suspect they could do a Holland dyke thing,in fact there are ones already about.The number of underground earthquakes and tsunamis is an issue certainly Japan, Indonesia and some have certainly had backlash. plus we bough w0 acres and we have now how a couple of thousand trees 20-30 foot high that we built,we do solar,have an EV and grow wood for our woodburner,so I am fairly smug,which probably is not clever because you know what they say comes before a fall. BBut I agree man may scratch the surface,but the ecology is likely beyond our control, although the rich are probably planning to use Musk to decamp Earth all together,and I say good luck with that, much easier to make homes to cope on Earth than a barren planet.

Talking of which why oh why do we broadcast we are here,anything likely to find our space messages is likely to think food,slaves, or fertiliser,or kill us and have a nice planet to occupy.What idiot keeps showing where we are when we cannot defend ourselves.
Personally, I think the aliens lock their doors when they have to travel through our solar system…

Good Morning all! A pretty nice day here. Expected to reach 78, with a slim chance of rain.
Just some coffee Flo.
Not a lot to report from the train room. I did put down some ground cover on a bald spot and added lights to 2 buildings. I use Woodland Scenic Plug and Play. I must confess, Woodland lighted vehicles and street lights are a bit of a challenge. That very fine wire is murder to work with under the table.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back