Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. It's wet, wet, wet. Been raining all night and looks to be an all day event. At least I will have some time for trains today. Working on cup #1 this morning. If y'all see Flo, I'm going to need a short stack, bacon, and 2 scrambled eggs.

Feeling the holiday spirit as well, so the next round of coffee is on me.

Good morning America, how are ya? Sorry, but I snuck in while nobody was watching.

Looks like quite a few new folks have moved in during the last year or so.........that's a very good thing. And it looks like most of the "regulars" are still around too. Another good thing.

Hi, Flo! Still pretty as ever! I'll take a hobo skillet with scrambled eggs and some gravy on top and a cup of black coffee, thanks!

First off, I want to offer my condolences to Garry on the passing of his MIL. It's never easy, but around the holidays makes it even harder.

A lot has happened while I've been gone! I officially retired as of last Friday! I retired from the Boilermakers after I turned 62, then went to work as a machinist for a large bearing manufacturer. They offered an early retirement package while I was off on medical after surgery on my elbow and I took them up on it immediately! I'll only get two weeks pay (a week for every year worked) but I will get full medical insurance until the end of 2020. Pretty much an offer I couldn't refuse. I'll also get to file for unemployment due to the fact that this is the first step in what will probably be more of a reduction in workforce. I'll turn 65 next month, so we'll see how many good jobs there are for the more senior of us. I won't be holding my breath. Just want to hold off on my Social Security for a while longer.

A move out of state is in the not to distant future, planning on another trip to Tennessee the third week of January. Haven't ruled out Texas yet, either. Tennessee is closer to home to see family but we really love Texas. Decisions, decisions!

Hopefully, I'll get some time to start on a small switching layout soon. Got the mobile base started and 2" foam down, need to work on an extension for it, and on and on. That way, I can make it part of a larger layout after we move. I've been buying all kinds of stuff since I joined here and Christmas and my birthday have all been train wishlists!

I must compliment everyone on their modeling! The pictures are an inspiration, at the very least, and set a very high bar to follow! Looking forward to seeing more and maybe I'll have something worthwhile to show as well.

I better get going before I get kicked out! See you all around!

Good Morning All. 35° and very dense fog. I can hear the cars on the road about 200' away, but cannot even see the headlights. Coming up, except for Monday, it looks like we'll continue our string of beautiful days for another week or so.

A pair of over easy eggs and sausage patties this morning Flo, and a toasted English Muffin to sop things up with as well.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the progress and the BBQ joint pictures.; Jim, Jerome, Johnny, Chad, Patrick, Hughie, Phil, Curt, Tom, Chet, Joe, Sherrel, Rick.

Actually got a lot done in the train shed yesterday, but no pictures. Finished off all the main roofs and attached them, and started on one of the eaves. Some difficulty with getting the roof to lie flat has led to having everything being weighted down thus no pictures. Still have another tower, a couple of shed overhangs and the front porch to go before starting on the detailing.
So here's another shot of Rudy's BBQ. The back alley view.
07-16-18 013.JPG

Mikey - That's a real drag about the water damage, but it does sound like much can be salvaged.
Jesse - I have had excellent performance from MRC products.
Greg - Try adjusting the center axle of the six axle trucks a bit to the narrow side and see if that helps with the derailing. It's physics that I can't explain.
Joe - Nice MD report. Best wishes going forward with the plan.

You all be safe driving this morning where there's rain and near freezing temperatures. Remember that it's Friday the 13th. It's also my granddaughter's fifth birthday. And to anyone who cares, it's also Taylor Swift's birthday.
Bob - Great to see you again. Remember Texas with Babe's and Beth Marie's.
Everybody have a great day

HEY YA'll .. I think I missed the forum yesterday. I have taken up BEADY"S non-sleeping bug!
Woke up wide awake at 3 am - then this morning around 4:30. I need to go back and see what all I missed yesterday.

It's a CC day again today - a carbon copy of yesterday's clear, calm, and 73 degrees. We had a couple of gaps that did not light in our Christmas lighting which will get a do-over this morning .. MOH just had to buy more. I just ho[e that I can get rid of a couple more "tubs" of decor - like she has 4 wreaths to choose from for the front door, but only one gets used. Trying to get her to "lighten-up" - I feel that I might as well be trying to get rid of a child.

Went to sleep last night during the halftime of the game, so have no idea who won - not that it makes any difference to me!
If I don't quit falling asleep at 8:30 to 9PM, I will never get away from waking up early - DUUUH!

BB - good to see you back with us ...

Willie - I see that you have been busy again - I have to see about yesterday and today's post.

Don't let any Black Cats cross your path today!

Thanks for the welcome back, Willie and Sherrel!

Willie, I hear the siren call of Babe's and Beth Marie's at least once a week! One consolation is the fact that my wife can make fried chicken and gravy that would make Babe jealous beyond description. The downside is she doesn't like to make it because it isn't healthy. She also makes delicious home made ice cream, but it costs a small fortune to make and it's also health adverse!

Good morning all,

A bit busy this morning, but my work day is more than half over. Yeah for Fridays!!!

Thanks for all the pictures you guys have posted this week. They look great.

Beady: Those actual boxes were available in the Christmas section of Target. They're from a company called Pranko. You put the real gift in and then wrap the box. They open it thinking it's something else....

Burlington Bob: Welcome back.

Boris: Work as hard as you can on building up that knee before the replacement. It makes the afterward a lot easier. I was 47 when I had the first one and 49 when they replaced it. I had my 48th birthday during the 3-day stay I had to do with the first replacement. 14 months later I had revision surgery. PT before the first one made it go smoother IMO.

Good Morning Everyone....cloudy again in Wisconsin.

Ready to go back down to the layout and do some more checking of the track and locomotive. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and I'll continue on the problem solving process until I find the problem. I seem to remember a similar problem in this area with another locomotive, but don't recall the solution.

I'll first recheck the locomotive and then move on to the track.

I did check the wheel gauge once, but I'll do a recheck.

Later everyone.

Greg

Went to bed about midnight, woke up briefly after 6, then slept again until the alarm went off at 11. The Melatonin and reggae seem to be working, now if I can just shift my bedtime to 10 or 11. Some of this may be the medication I'm on but, if so, how did I manage to hold down a job? I've been taking most of this stuff for years.

Currently 37 and cloudy. Fog and freezing fog are expected over the next couple of mornings, but nothing dramatic for the forecast period. Makes me wonder if Mother Nature is winding up for a Big Pitch over the holiday. Seems like there's a big storm that closes the airports every year for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. Anybody who flies then deserves what they get. If I have to travel, I prefer having the ability to pull into a motel and have a nice, warm, soft bed until the storm clears; it's better than trying to sleep in an airport waiting area.

Speaking of weather.... The first pic is supposed to be of Sydney in 2015, don't know about the other. Both may have been enhanced but are otherwise supposed to be authentic.

FB_IMG_1576204593934.jpg
FB_IMG_1576109507004.jpg

Good morning. Started the day off at 34 degrees, warmer than some of you guys. We still have a winter weather advisory in effect but haven't seen a single snow flake. The radar doesn't show anything even close to us.

Yesterday I was out in the shop putting a new intake air temperature sensor in the car again. Flippin' rodents fot it again. This time not only where the wiring comes out of the loom, but also right at the sensor requiring me to buy another sensor. This time I wrapped the wiring with aluminum foil. I checked with a car dealership and there is a tape that has some sore of heat, such as chili powder in it, that rodents won't mess with, but they want $58 for a roll.

Beady -
Like the photos from down under. looks nasty. This you Roto-Wipe woud be a bit rough on hemopriods.

Patrick - I would suggest that you invest in a Kadee coupler height gauge.

Interesting info about the three axle trucks. I do thing that they can be a bit more picky than two axle trucks. Most of my diesels are two axle trucks with a few exceptions. I have three SD units from different manufacturers, an Atlas Alco RSD-4/5 and a Model Power Milwaukee Road E-9. I have had no problems whatsoever with any except a BLI SD-9. It was derailing in my hidden staging area where it started upgrade from level track. I shim under a rail cured that. It also will derail at the same spot at my club. I have checked the track and the wheel gauge. All checks out fine.
Anyone interested in a BLI Milwaukee Road SD-9???

Mikey - Sorry to hear about the water damage. Bummer.

Johnny - Good photo.

Max - I will have to agree with you about the GML walk around throttle. I have been using one for over 10 years and love it and would recommend it to anyone. I also have 4 jacks and love the big fat stereo pluh as it is so easy to move from jack to jack. .

Tex - Those are some nice photos from the old layout.

Willie
- As usual, great photos. Really like the scruffy back alley.

Joe
- Sorry to hear about the knee. Getting old is a real pain when you outlive the parts you were born with. Know the feeling.

BB
- Nice to see you chiming in. Enjoy the retirement.

Guess it's time to hit the photo archives again. Here's a before and after.

20180331_133231.jpg

thumbnail_20190603_144211.jpg

Later

Well back again....wok ed on the derailing GP-39 and found something on the web that a fellow had the same problem as I and it was the truck side frames were too tight and didn't allow the side to side movement of the wheel sets.

I ran the locomotive backwards and it worked just fine.

I'll check that tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time loosing the clip on (?) under panel of the truck(s) off to access the wheels.

Later....

Greg

Afternoon All,

The wife did the school field trip so I changed out the light switch in the laundry room and a power plug on the kitchen island. Tomorrow I'm going to visit my buddy Tom in Orlando then watch the Army/Navy game.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Bob- Welcome back and congratulations on your retirement.

Willie- Nice city block.

Joe- I wish you the best with your knee.

Chet- Nice layout shots. I like them both.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, Friday the 13th just stomped on my week.
My sister in law passed away in Washington state after a long illness. I spent some time looking at flights, motels and rental cars on the computer.
As I waited to hear about funeral arrangements, the FLOOD occurred in the club work room.
Now, my 95 yro MIL fell in the tub this morning and broke her hip. She is in surgery right now.
My wife will be leaving soon to visit her mother after the surgery and I will have take care of some other commitments for the next few days.

I will likely be occupied with other things for awhile, so please excuse me for ignoring your questions and comments. I do appreciate your interest.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 35° and very dense fog. I can hear the cars on the road about 200' away, but cannot even see the headlights. Coming up, except for Monday, it looks like we'll continue our string of beautiful days for another week or so.

A pair of over easy eggs and sausage patties this morning Flo, and a toasted English Muffin to sop things up with as well.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the progress and the BBQ joint pictures.; Jim, Jerome, Johnny, Chad, Patrick, Hughie, Phil, Curt, Tom, Chet, Joe, Sherrel, Rick.

Actually got a lot done in the train shed yesterday, but no pictures. Finished off all the main roofs and attached them, and started on one of the eaves. Some difficulty with getting the roof to lie flat has led to having everything being weighted down thus no pictures. Still have another tower, a couple of shed overhangs and the front porch to go before starting on the detailing.
So here's another shot of Rudy's BBQ. The back alley view.
View attachment 42304

Mikey - That's a real drag about the water damage, but it does sound like much can be salvaged.
Jesse - I have had excellent performance from MRC products.
Greg - Try adjusting the center axle of the six axle trucks a bit to the narrow side and see if that helps with the derailing. It's physics that I can't explain.
Joe - Nice MD report. Best wishes going forward with the plan.

You all be safe driving this morning where there's rain and near freezing temperatures. Remember that it's Friday the 13th. It's also my granddaughter's fifth birthday. And to anyone who cares, it's also Taylor Swift's birthday.
Bob - Great to see you again. Remember Texas with Babe's and Beth Marie's.
Everybody have a great day
Love the BBQ wood piles.

Well back again....wok ed on the derailing GP-39 and found something on the web that a fellow had the same problem as I and it was the truck side frames were too tight and didn't allow the side to side movement of the wheel sets.

I ran the locomotive backwards and it worked just fine.

I'll check that tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time loosing the clip on (?) under panel of the truck(s) off to access the wheels.

Later....

Greg
I said in an earlier post about a early Christmas gift, Bachmann GG-1. Well it started to randomly stall as it went around the layout. Yesterday I found out it only stalls going forward, not in reverse. I'm having troubleshooting this.

Good afternoon all. A beautiful day here. Working on the "honey do" list the conductor has. Just picked an ice chest full of lemons and need to go deliver them to SIL. I got my Coast Guard flag delivered so it went up the flagpole this morning.
Thanks to all the likes on the photos of the old layout. It was really great for train watching, but lacked when it came to operations.

My sister in law passed away in Washington state after a long illness. I spent some time looking at flights, motels and rental cars on the computer.
As I waited to hear about funeral arrangements, the FLOOD occurred in the club work room.
Now, my 95 yro MIL fell in the tub this morning and broke her hip. She is in surgery right now.
My wife will be leaving soon to visit her mother after the surgery and I will have take care of some other commitments for the next few days.

I will likely been occupied with other things for awhile, so please excuse me for ignoring your questions and comments. I do appreciate your interest.
Prayers for you and your family as you deal with these hard times.

I will likely been occupied with other things for awhile, so please excuse me for ignoring your questions and comments. I do appreciate your interest.
Thinking of you.

Back...found some time to work on the locomotive and on the web I found where a guy had the same problem and it turned out to be the trucks side frames were too tight and prevented the wheels from sliding sideways in the truck frame when rounding a curve.

I'll try loosing the front side frames tomorrow before the Griswald Family arrives for a Christmas at the homestead. I did notice that the rear truck has a lot of free movement in the three wheel sets. The middle set had the most movement of the set of three.

Stay tuned....

Greg

################################

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back