Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 35° and clear, upper 50's is today's forecast. Getting ready for the weekly grocery/beer trek, it's that time of year when prime rib goes on sale so one for supper and one for the freezer is in order today. somewhat miserable day yesterday as the clear sunrise turned into dense fog til late afternoon. Did way too many "honey do's" than I wanted, but they're out of the way for now.

Hello Francine, breakfast burrito for me today. Make it with sausage, potato, ham and cheese. Lots of salsa on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments on my progress yesterday; Patrick, Jim, Jesse, Chad, Garry, Jerome, Phil, Rick, Sherrel, Hughie, Chet, Tom.

Didn't get a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. I did get the roofing on part of the roof.
12-12-19 001.JPG

It was then that I realized that I forgot to paint under the eaves on that part of the roof.
12-12-19 002.JPG

So that's my next step now.

Alan - I also dislike those shiny wheels on rolling stock, but I have to admit that there are still a few roaming my pike; just haven't gotten to all of them yet.
Beady - The CBD oil is a waste of money. I meant to smoke it like back in the 60's.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning y'all. It's 32 here but the feels like is 28, so it's 28 in my book. Working on the second cup of coffee this morning. Just looking outside is making me cold. We got any bacon left? Or am I too late?

Finally got the Daylight out. Turns out it wasn't in storage, but tucked into the bottom of the armoire. Set it up this morning because my little train buddy wanted to play trains before I head to work. Noticed two things:

1) I only have 1 B unit, not two like I had thought I remembered. But thankfully it is a powered unit.

2) And here's where I need some help. The A unit motor whines going forward but not backward. The B unit does the same (even though there isn't really a "front" or "rear" to it). How do I fix this? Also, the B unit is faster than the A when running both on the same track. Both units are Bachman.

And for a bonus: What is the best non DCC power supply for the buck? I have the basic supply units that come with the train sets. Looking for something with a bit better control, but I'm not stepping up to DCC until I have a more permanent location for the layout.

Y'all have a good day. Next round of donuts is on me.

Good morning everyone. 38 and clear. Sunday night and Monday we're in for a real Montana-style treat - cold and snow, mixed with freezing rain.

Missed getting on the forum yesterday. Took the day off work and had fun. Gee, is that what retirement is like ALL the time?!?! :D

Chet, Garry, Willie, Tom, Patrick, Jim, Flip, TexasHobo, Wheeler, Robots, Sherrel, Clint, Chad, Curt, Beady, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Tuesday post.
Willie - That building is really looking nice.

Keep doing small maintenance jobs and landscaping around the layout. Ran the Coltrane - er, I mean coal train - yesterday for a while. MOH and I are car shopping, so we did some of that yesterday, too.

Here's an "artsy" photo of "Uncle Walt's Lawnmower Repair" which I relocated in the south part of town. Like many of my businesses, this one is named for someone I knew growing up - actually, he wasn't a blood-related "uncle" but someone real close to our family that I always called Uncle. He lived up the street from us, and when he retired, he started fixing neighbors' lawnmowers out of his garage. Going to redo the sign and, oh yeah, got to get some lawnmowers to put there, dontcha think?!

UncleWalts1.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Jesse - about the DC power supplies - I have 2 MRC's - a Tech II, which is 34 years old and a Tech 4 that's 10 years old. MRC is currently offering Tech 7's.
I never had a problem with either of them.
If you want some freedom - I also have a GML Enterprises walk-around hand-held throttle, that I really like!
I have 4 jacks around the layout. Never had a problem with it.

Oh . . . Thanks for the donut! ;)

Last edited:
Jesse - about the DC power supplies - I have 2 MRC's - a Tech II, which is 34 years old and a Tech 4 that's 10 years old. MRC is currently offering Tech 7's.
I never had a problem with either of them.
If you want some freedom - I also have a GML Enterprises walk-around hand-held throttle, that I really like!
I have 4 jacks around the layout. Never had a problem with it.

Oh . . . Thanks for the donut! ;)
Thanks. And enjoy the donut!

Good Morning Everyone.....no more sunny and maybe some liquid stuff later.

The problematic six axle diesel is still derailing at the turnout but I don't believe the turnout is the cause. A short distance before the turnout the locomotive makes a little noise and I think maybe the leading wheel sets are lifting of the rails. This spot is hard to see due to the viewing distance and scenery that's in the way. The trucks on the locomotive move freely.

The curve leading to the turnout is approximately 24 inch radius. There's maybe eight inches of straight track after the curve going to the turnout.

I'm wondering if the rails didn't go slightly out of gauge and maybe this locomotive is sensitive to this possible change. I did check the loco's wheel sets' gauge with a NMRA gauge and they all checked out. Taking a break from trains today, but next trip down to the layout I'll run a track gauge in the area before the turnout. I've had rails go out of gauge before, but ever so slightly that they affected only certain equipment.

I did run a wheel set by hand through these areas and saw no concerning problems. I'll also check the insides of the rails along the tie plates for any debris or ballast that is built up. One other possibility is a track nail head that worked its way upwards after 10 years or so of service being in the cork and plywood sub-roadbed. I had one nail work its way up in the Saxeville tunnel and it derailed certain cars.

Anyone have any other possible reasons this six axle diesel is the only one in the fleet that derails?

Thanks.

Greg

################################

Last edited:
Well, the Great Sleep Siege may be over. I very carefully showed the wife how to set her alarm; changed the alarm's CD to the soundtrack to Death in Paradise (my favorite tv show - the music is a mix of calypso and reggae); and took 6mg of Melatonin. It worked.

This afternoon and evening will be fairly busy. Got to leave here at 3 to attend a facility party at MIL's retirement home, then probably get back here about 7 or 8 if we're lucky. After that, though, there's nothing on the schedule until Xmas eve. If I can keep my sleepy-poo under control, I hope to get in more train time.

I may have mentioned this before, but since I've had something up and running, I've noticed how much I've over-bought. There's a whole big box of freight cars, for instance, and boxes of track. Then, of course, there are all those locomotives. Think I may be renting a table at one or two train shows over the winter.

FB_IMG_1575971306390.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.....no more sunny and maybe some liquid stuff later.

The problematic six axle diesel is still derailing at the turnout but I don't believe the turnout is the cause. A short distance before the turnout the locomotive makes a little noise and I think maybe the leading wheel sets are lifting of the rails. This spot is hard to see due to the viewing distance and scenery that's in the way. The trucks on the locomotive move freely.

The curve leading to the turnout is approximately 24 inch radius. There's maybe eight inches of straight track after the curve going to the turnout.

I'm wondering if the rails didn't go slightly out of gauge and maybe this locomotive is sensitive to this possible change. I did check the loco's wheel sets' gauge with a NMRA gauge and they all checked out. Taking a break from trains today, but next trip down to the layout I'll run a track gauge in the area before the turnout. I've had rails go out of gauge before, but ever so slightly that they affected only certain equipment.

I did run a wheel set by hand through these areas and saw no concerning problems. I'll also check the insides of the rails along the tie plates for any debris or ballast that is built up. One other possibility is a track nail head that worked its way upwards after 10 years or so of service being in the cork and plywood sub-roadbed. I had one nail work its way up in the Saxeville tunnel and it derailed certain cars.

Anyone have any other possible reasons this six axle diesel is the only one in the fleet that derails?

Thanks.

Greg

################################
Out of gauge axle set on that truck, or a vertical curve that lifts the front axle off the rails.

Good morning all. Looks like we are going to have a great day weather wise here in Houston. Thanks to all for the likes on my photos.
Willie - If you have a Rudy's BBQ, try their breakfast tacos. (I believe Rudy's is based in Austin. They opened a few places around the State.

Good morning all. Looks like we are going to have a great day weather wise here in Houston. Thanks to all for the likes on my photos.
Willie - If you have a Rudy's BBQ, try their breakfast tacos. (I believe Rudy's is based in Austin. They opened a few places around the State.
Unfortunately the closest Rudy's BBQ is 25 miles away. I do eat there whenever I go to town though.
Actually there is one closer, about 200' away in the train shed.
07-16-18 015.JPG

But they only serve 1:87 people!:mad:

Afternoon All,

Visited with Jon and Phil today. In about an hour I need to leave to pick up youngest grandson at middle school then go to the high school to pick up eldest grandson since both Mom and my wife are sick with bronchitis. I may be doing a grade school field trip to the ballet if my wife still feels bad tomorrow.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY.

Tex- Nice looking layout pictures. I really like the bridge ones.

Willie- Great progress.

Max- Interesting looking bridge.

Chet- Nice Meme.

Johnny- Nice layout shot.

Greg- When I had issues like that I used a hobby sized level and checked both axis of the track or turnout and that usually let me know what the problem was.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, the Great Sleep Siege may be over. I very carefully showed the wife how to set her alarm; changed the alarm's CD to the soundtrack to Death in Paradise (my favorite tv show - the music is a mix of calypso and reggae); and took 6mg of Melatonin. It worked.

This afternoon and evening will be fairly busy. Got to leave here at 3 to attend a facility party at MIL's retirement home, then probably get back here about 7 or 8 if we're lucky. After that, though, there's nothing on the schedule until Xmas eve. If I can keep my sleepy-poo under control, I hope to get in more train time.

I may have mentioned this before, but since I've had something up and running, I've noticed how much I've over-bought. There's a whole big box of freight cars, for instance, and boxes of track. Then, of course, there are all those locomotives. Think I may be renting a table at one or two train shows over the winter.

View attachment 42267

I like the prank box!!! We did the 12000 piece 1/4" size puzzle of the solid color evening sky and moon. The wife bought it I wanted the one you posted or My First Fire! lol
Grey_WebHero_FirstFire-1024x1024.jpg
Grey_WebHero_Puzzle-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Greg: Bout 20? years ago, I was building a basement layout with 30" minimum curves, and mostly #6 switches. It was an elongated dog bone, with two reverse loops and an engine terminal and relatively large yard. It was in a U shape and I was quite pleased with the operation. My son's birthday came along, and his then girl friend, his brother and his mom and dad each bought him Genesis SD70s and Atlas 40-8CWs in Conrail. The Genesis SD70s would not stay on the rail on curves and diverting switches. (straight move OK). The Atlas GEs and my P2k E8s and other six axle units all ran fine, but I assumed my track work was sub par. After several futile attempts to make things work, I began to dismantle the railroad. I never thought that the "high priced" Genesis units were the problem, and it wasn't until years later, when I learned of the warped trucks. Just a thought, if everything else runs over the vicinity of the derailment(s), then it's probably not the track or switch.

Boris

Curt: "On Grand old Army Team, ! Hoowah! ;)

Willie, Tex and Johnny: Nice photos, nice work.

Went to the Orthopedic Surgeon's today, for x-rays, and evaluation. Found out I will be needing a Left Knee replacement sometime next spring. For right now, I received a blast of Cortisone into each knee. I begin PT next week, to build up my legs. In January, I get the Gel 3 injection version in each knee, then maybe three or four months later, a replacement knee. It was a good day, and everything fell into place for once, I also managed a haircut and got the truck in for an oil change.

I have not been too active on the model railroad front, I still have to put up a minimal Christmas light display out side. I've been doing it for 33 years, and I'm going to continue to do so as long as I'm here.

Ravens and Jets are playing tonight if anyone is interested. Go Ravens. At least since the deadline has passed, I don't see those obnoxious Medicare "C" commercials featuring Joe Namath. Meanwhile, Terry Bradshaw is now selling walk in tubs complete with shower. Didn't these guys save any money? Yeah, I know, I watch too much TV especially stations aimed to folks my age.

Have a good evening.

boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back