Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening.

David. ... I did not know it was your birthday. I hope it was a good one.

Tom ... I like the CSX SD50’s on the bridge.

Chet. ... I like your Silver Streak caboose . In the past I have assembled a few Silver Streak kits.

IB Ken ... Good to see you. Sounds like a fun operating session.

Everybody ... Happy model railroading .

Garry: Yes, another year rolls around for me as well, 73 now. Another year older and deeper in debt, Saint Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go I owe my soul to the company store!

Actually, I've had a head cold as well as something like an upset stomach or intestinal disorder but fortunately it isn't to be severe, bad enough but I'm pulling through. So it's not much of a birthday but hey it gave me time to talk to everybody on the form and that was very enjoyable in itself!

Last edited:
David, I hope you feel better.

It's great to see your posts, we really miss you when you are busy else where.

I posted this song before, but I think you might like this version better.

Working with Amazon sometimes I feel like I owe my soul to the company store!

Amazon sent me a message again yesterday. Seems many of these other contractors don't want to work in the rain. These guys crybabies, like professional soccer players.

Now I'm tired and further behind schedule, but Christmas won't wait for me. Nor does it depend on me getting my stuff ready. Christmas was and always will be great!

I love this song. :)

1544950796051.png

Here is another one of my all-time favorites.

Have a great day Everybody!

I almost forgot to mention, I got my Lionel Vision Line GG1 running on my O96 track. This beauty is even better than I had dreamed! When I get time I'll try to post a video and pictures. I only have it running in conventional mode. I want to get my Legacy system set up and show it's other cool "bells and whistles"

God Bless Us Everyone.

Louis - That ELP song is one of my favorites also. Try this one as well.
I like that, I have not heard that in years, thank you!

WIYY 98 Rock (97.9) in Baltimore use to play that at Christmas. They probably still do, but I seldom listen any more. Too much whining and complaining in the music they play these days.

I loved 98 Rock back in the days when there station ID was "WIYY, Baltimore's 98 Rock, Kick Ass Rock and Roll"

To kill a Mockingbird....well, no Mockingbirds here, soooo, a Rat will have to do. I did warn my wife that feeding the birds of the neighbourhood would attract vermin. Expected mice but not a rat (hope not rats), but there it was, out on the grass, scoffing the bread she'd thrown out and it had chewed through the corner of one of the seed boxes that were up on the table on the deck, by the next morning, Quite a grown one with a long tail. So..I go and buy a large rat trap of the wire and spring type and set it up on the deck, all the seed boxes having been put away. Nothing the first 2 nights, but this morning, got it.

It was lying on it's side with the trap upside down, partially on it's head. I prepared to get rid of it and picked up the trap, thinking the rat would come up with it (it did, till just off the ground). I turned it to see how well it was held, and it fell off. All that had been caught by the wire was one ear right at the corner between of wire and base and when it dropped it didn't leave that behind. This trap had a mighty strong spring and I was concerned when setting it's trigger, it might let go and get my finger or fingers while doing so. I couldn't see any sign of injury on the rat from the wire, no blood, or anything, no fur on the wire, or the base. So what killed it? Sheer fright?

Good morning.....Coffee on,getting ready for day two.Had some kids asking where is the coal train going,I said it's not going its coming from,they looked puzzled,it coming back from santa he needs coal for the bad boys and girls that don't listen to their moms and dads.The looks on their face was priceless.

Good Morning All. 38° and mostly cloudy with no wind in this part of the universe. Didn't quite get as warm as expected yesterday with a high of only 59.7°, but I'll take it. This morning is as close to freezing that is in the forecast for the next ten days. There are showers in the forecast for Christmas Day. It's extremely rare for us to have a white Christmas, but we had one in 2012 with about 1" that melted overnight. Many years we see no snow at all.
Man, what a beating having to go grocery shopping on Saturday morning is. I was expecting heavier crowds than I usually get on my regular day, Thursday, but this was drastic. Thankfully there were very few kids along for the ride, but the crowd was considerably younger and more connected (on their phones) than normal. They were absolutely not paying attention to fellow shoppers, stopping in the middle of an aisle while talking to someone, etc.
Urbanization is coming to an area close by where I live. Six miles away, there is a rather scenic FM (Farm to Market) road that leads to the town of Sanger TX where we go out to eat occasionally. It is a rather nice and well maintained two lane road with no shoulders, narrow bridges and steep embankments on the side for drainage. It's going to be widened to four lanes with shoulders and center left turn lanes where needed. Currently and for the last few months, the residents all along the north side have been constructing new fences about 100' back from their original fences. Hundreds of trees are going to be razed and as I see it, at least two newly-built brick homes (built in the last 15 years), are going to be bulldozed. In the town itself, there are at least two dozen small businesses that will have to relocate. Offshoot: I will have to start using an alternate route soon, as the orange barrels have appeared along the side of the road meaning one lane controlled traffic is coming soon. While the alternate route is actually shorter, the roads are less than well-maintained and you may encounter very large and hard to pass farm equipment during daylight hours. Another alternate route takes me through another small town with several school zones to deal with.

Thanks for all of the very kind comments regarding yesterday's post with the GP60's; Joe, Garry, Mike, Karl, David, Sherrel, Chet, Curt, and anyone else that I may have missed.

Meanwhile out in the train shed yesterday, it was just another average day. Running trains, a little (very little) scenicking (Johnny's word) and some general cleanup of the shed. How about a pair of SD40-2's pulling a mixed freight around the layout?
12-14-18 001.JPG

They are Athearn models that I haven't weathered yet.

12-14-18 002.JPG

Here they're approaching a pair of Kato SD45's waiting on the siding in the outskirts of the town of Vernon.
12-14-18 004.JPG

David - I meant to include a Happy Birthday to you yesterday. Better late than never. Happy Birthday!
Garry - Many thanks. I am hoping to get my layout to the completion level of yours in the next few years.
Sherrel - Hope that you're feeling better soon. Nothing like being under the weather for Christmas.
Beady - Any idea whether that is a photo-shopped picture or the real thing? I have seen industrial trackage in Pensacola FL that ran that close to structures, but I didn't see where it went when it curved off out of the way.
Curt - Nice touch naming that pass after Jeffrey.
Ken - Good to see you here in the Coffee Shop again. Cutting/hauling/stacking firewood is one of my year-round forms of exercise!
Tom - Great pictures.

OK Louis, Today is the Third Sunday of Advent, lest you forget!:rolleyes:
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning.....Coffee on,getting ready for day two.Had some kids asking where is the coal train going,I said it's not going its coming from,they looked puzzled,it coming back from santa he needs coal for the bad boys and girls that don't listen to their moms and dads.The looks on their face was priceless.

Tom, Be sure to snap some more pictures of that beautiful layout.

Good morning, everybody .... Sunny today with high forecasted to be 55F.

Willie ..... I like the shots of the SD40-2's. It is good to see you keeping the Santa Fe alive and well.

Louis .... I like the 1960 photo of Pennsy.

Tom ... That is funny what you said to the kids.

David..... I'm a year ahead of you at 74. Most of the journey through life is behind me.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then I cut out thick cardboard pieces (back of a legal pad) for a 2 track road crossing on the siding project. Currently they aren't painted. I'll hit them first with a rattle car base coat to minimize warpage. I ran my Pennsy RS1 with 3 covered hoppers and the MILW ribbed box car that Phil gave me a couple of weeks ago while working on the grade crossing.

Ken- Great to see you posting.

Cambria- That is top notch modeling in your photos. It looks real.

CA Dave- My container yard is named after Eric also.

Louis- Great picture.

Joe- You probably got our rain. It finally stopped today and something bright appeared in the sky. Not sure what it is?

Willie- Very nice layout pics. What's the industry in the background?

20181216_141720-980x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet: That's what we call the smell of money!

Curt: What were you thinking???:oops:
David: Happy Birthday! I had one silver streak kit, which I attempted to build, about 10 years ago. It was fun, until I lost a crucial part, and put it aside. Might still have it somewhere. It was a refrigerator car as I recall.
Beady: That's cutting it close, for sure!
Sherrel: Happy you're feeling better.
It has been a dreary day here. Rain, Fog and dark. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Boris
Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then I cut out thick cardboard pieces (back of a legal pad) for a 2 track road crossing on the siding project. Currently they aren't painted. I'll hit them first with a rattle car base coat to minimize warpage. I ran my Pennsy RS1 with 3 covered hoppers and the MILW ribbed box car that Phil gave me a couple of weeks ago while working on the grade crossing.

Ken- Great to see you posting.

Cambria- That is top notch modeling in your photos. It looks real.

CA Dave- My container yard is named after Eric also.

Louis- Great picture.

Joe- You probably got our rain. It finally stopped today and something bright appeared in the sky. Not sure what it is?

Willie- Very nice layout pics. What's the industry in the background?

View attachment 32592

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: That's certainly a nice gesture on your part .

Chet: That's what we call the smell of money!

Curt: What were you thinking???:oops:
David: Happy Birthday! I had one silver streak kit, which I attempted to build, about 10 years ago. It was fun, until I lost a crucial part, and put it aside. Might still have it somewhere. It was a refrigerator car as I recall.
Beady: That's cutting it close, for sure!
Sherrel: Happy you're feeling better.
It has been a dreary day here. Rain, Fog and dark. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Boris

Boris: I'm not sure how much low speed vibration that switch engine makes but I imagine it might be considerable judging by the one that I was on. In fact it would seem that if it does make very much vibration it would shake the mortar loose from between the bricks of the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back