Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were plowing the company property, as part of your employment, they damn well should. Shouldn't be a matter of asking for it.

Good morning. Clear and 41.
I seem to have damaged something while plowing snow. Out of work since Friday, with more dr visits scheduled. We'll see if the company will allow a workers comp claim.

Terry: You do realize that the burden of proof is on them. You say you're hurt on the job, you're hurt on the job. They have to prove you're not hurt on the job.

Boris

Good Morning All. 39° and partly cloudy here in North Central Texas. Took advantage of the beautiful day outside yesterday to cut some more firewood from branches that I cut last winter and spring. Nothing like wind-free 60°+ weather in December. Set the Christmas tree up yesterday, one day later than normal, today it's string the lights. This year we put it in front of a window for the neighbors to see when they drive by.

Thanks to all for the comments regarding the SD40-2's; Garry, Curt, Chet, Joe, and anyone else that I may have missed. ATSF liked them, they owned 187 in all. I think that I have fifteen of them, with both the 123" and 88" short hood models represented.

Only spent a short period of time in the train shed yesterday due to other activity. I keep meaning to get pictures of that ROW/backyard scene that I worked on for what seemed like months, but I always get sidetracked. Eventually though.

Mark -
Unsure how you can say a wind with 0 wind speed can be out of the N.E.;
That is a question that I have asked before, wind gusts of 0 mph are hard to fathom as well. The one that really gets me is visibility of 10 miles when I can see the moon and the stars!
Curt - Looking forward to seeing the completed grade crossing. I have not used cardboard for something like that and will follow with interest. I have a beer store named after Eric, but nothing honoring Jeffrey.
Chet - You're right on regarding burning whole logs instead of splitting them. I only split to get them through the door of the heater. Around here, a cord is more than I need for a winter season.
Joe - I continue to be appreciative of your "railroaders point of view" regarding the real thing. D.J. is another railroader here who enhances this forum.
Garry - I have probably said this in the past when you posted pictures of your mill, but you did an excellent job there.
Ray - Glad to read that the cyclone missed you. I saw some news reports of the problems in NSW, including the crocodile warning.
Terry - Best wishes on a rapid recovery. Hopefully you reported it ASAP because many companies/insurance carriers will provide roadblocks if you delay.

115 years ago today marked the first flight by the Wright Brothers. Seats have gotten smaller since then.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning, y'all 37° and suddenly, it's sunny with calm wind.

Louis: Your photo of the Christmas Tree, reminds me of the Tree in Windsor Station, (CP), in Montreal. It was extremely large for an indoor display and beautiful. We were there to catch the Turbo Train to Grand Central, in NYC. Hard to believe that was 41 years ago, this week.

Ray: You're weather down under is as goofy as our weather is. Watch out fro those "Crocagators" ;) The MRL videos are cool.

Garry: I really like your flour mill complex. Looks busy.

Mark: At least, your weather is consistent, ours fluctuates all the time.

While the wife spent her day baking cookies, I managed to watch all or portions of three hockey games, one on my phone, one on the TV, and one on my Kindle Fire. Amazing what we can do today, that was pure fantasy 41 years ago, eh?

Boris

Joe - I continue to be appreciative of your "railroaders point of view" regarding the real thing. D.J. is another railroader here who enhances this forum.

Willie: I might add that D.J. is actively employed, and provides contemporary insight, while each day, I'm further removed from the industry. D.J. is also in to graphics to tell his stories, where I am limited to memory.

Thanks to all for the comments regarding the SD40-2's; Garry, Curt, Chet, Joe, and anyone else that I may have missed. ATSF liked them, they owned 187 in all. I think that I have fifteen of them, with both the 123" and 88" short hood models represented.

Conrail, also had a large fleet of SD40s, and SD 40-2s. They upgraded the S40 fleet to Dash 2 electronics, as time went on. The mechanical people frequently stated that the SD40-2 was the most reliable locomotive ever built, which may explain why so many are still around. I know that they were my favorite power when I was running freight.

I believe I have one example in my collection, painted and lettered in the CNJ's post Chessie era Coast Guard scheme. Of course, my large fleet of Baldwins and Alcos, leaves little room for anything else.

Boris

Yeah! and yer can't see out the wind's 's easy, either.

Ray: It's my opinion that contemporary air travel has deteriorated to the level of 1960s rail passenger service. When the PRR converted Budd sleeping cars to coaches, they merely ripped out the accommodations and replaced them with coach seats. The seats really didn't line up with the windows, and some were against blank walls. Of course that was protection from rocks and other projectiles thrown by local vandals. Commuter trains were revamped with five across, (3-2), seating.
Funny thing is that as our collective bottoms got larger, airline seats got smaller :rolleyes:.

Boris

Good morning. 35 degrees to start off the day. Should make it up into the mid 40's again by afternoon.

Garry - Nice photos. Here is a Silver Streak caboose for a Great Northern caboose that I painted for my railroad. This one was done over 30 years ago. Had more time on my hands waiting for model railroad goodies to arrive in the mail.

IMAG0267.jpg

Terry
- Hope you get feeling better. If you got injured at work, work comp should cover you if you reported it when it happened. Employers hate work comp cases. We had one employee milking the system for years on a questionable claim.

Ray -
Enjoyed the videos. The shorty on Bozeman Pass is a local that they send out as needed to serve rail customers in Bozeman, Belgrade Manhattan, Logan and Three Forks. Three Forks has a large Talc plant with a lot of traffic.

Did spend a lot of time switching on the layout yesterday. Nice to get to spend some time in the train room.

Here's my rail picture for today. The Alco switcher has picked a gondola full od scrap and is taking to the yard for an outbound train.

thumbnail_20181216_151626.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....nice day here in Wisconsin.

Garry, Willie and Chet: As always nice photographs of your layouts. I wish I had a larger layout than the one I have and could do more main line runs and switching moves. Garry, nice way to use Walther's Milling and I like how you turned the corner on the layout with the mill structure.

Most of my buildings are background buildings from Walthers that I kit bashed. One kit had some extra parts that I used to make another background building.

Chet: Your choice of yellow and black accent paint scheme for your locomotives and cabooses is perfect and gives your Logan Valley its own identity.

Willie and Chet: Even with acres of Central Wisconsin pine and oak woods, we still buy the firewood for our home fireplace. We locally had seven tornadoes a year ago last June and a neighbor had one storm go through his 40 acre woods. The wind damaged many trees including some mature maples and we brought from him a load of maple that he cut and split for $65.00 plus he delivered and stacked the wood. In our pick up, we bring a load home every time we're at the cabin.

Lucky this tornado went over over cabin but there were a lot of trees that are now leaning in the woods. Several are close to the cabin but if they fell they would miss the cabin. In the fire pit we burn pine logs from our woods at the cabin.

Willie: Nice pair of SD40-2 Santa Fe locomotives. They had a great color scheme as well and I like the Yellow better than the traditional Red and Silver scheme.

Terry: Good luck on settling your Worker's Comp claim. Keep documentation (share only with your lawyer or state claims agent) and at every doctor's visit let them know the injury was work related to get your personal insurance company to subrogate the costs of medical treatments.

Trussrod and Boris: Speaking of switching locomotives and vibrations, I went to a Insitute where they had temporary classrooms in old brewery, but outside next to classroom there was a spur that serviced other local industries. When the ALCO switcher passed by the classroom, the classroom shaked and it was impossible to talk. There were times the switcher would sit and idle outside just a few feet away from the classroom's windows and the diesel engine noise was awful.

Bob: Thanks for correcting the Forum invasion by the guy from Pakistan after he copied my original post. No need for that!

Finish a few things and then time to ballast.

Later....

Greg

IMG_0229.JPG

Tornado storm damage....the area behind the building, over 100 acres of mature woods were taken down. The loggers started in July and finished in December removing the wood. A friend of mine owns this woods and his new "Cabin" in the woods was untouched.

IMG_0231 (2).JPG

Pines twist in a storm and the tops of the trees will break off. These are younger pines but I had a neighbor's mature white pine have its top break off and sail into our woods and landing trunk down into the soil.

Last edited:
Good morning - 47 degrees heading to a 64 high today with PC sky and calm wind.

MARK - great weather report, watch out for the gaters! :Dlol.

Willie - 74 degrees, calm and clear yesterday. But, I did not have any firewood to cut! :p

TOOT - Great movies there .. very noisy though - reminded me of walking across the ramp! :)

Good afternoon.

Terry ... Sorry to hear about your injury.

Curt .... Don't you just love technology. Now you see it. Now you don't.

Chet ... # 156 does look like it was a GN caboose. I like the Alco switcher passing by the trailer.

Willie. Boris, Chet, Greg, and others if I missed them ..... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

Below is my large grain elevator which ships to the flour mill and to the brewery.

45635028334_a71ba2d3cb_k.jpg

David: That's how yard and industrial trackage is. The Baldwin Road Switcher is a six axle unit. Prototype equipment is more tolerant of tight radius curves than model equipment is...part of that is that model curves are tighter to begin with. On the railroad, you learned to make it work.

Concerning the photo Beady posted, it is not that unusual for residential buildings to be that close to the ROW. Two blocks from where I grew up, there were houses adjacent to the PRR's Philadelphia - Washington four track main. before the railroad was elevated in 1903, the tracks were at street level, adjacent to the rear of several blocks of residential structures. Those structures stood for 90 years before they were demolished as part of urban Renewal. Other lines of street railroad ran between rows of houses on either side of a narrow street or alley. Admittedly, that CN switcher was close, but there was a new home built in Dayton, NJ adjacent to the CR Amboy Secondary. The crossing protection blocked a portion of the driveway.

Boris

Boris: Thanks for the explanation, undoubtedly it allows movement of the train cars buy the switch engines or they wouldn't have so many but I was surprised to see them even though and on what appeared to be Mainline but evidently it's not as it's just tracks passing through the yard section which allow for shuffling cars around. Still though they sure seem like sharp radiuses to me but I would imagine on prototype equipment the axles are probably sprung on either end or at least the center axle of the three axle truck floats from side-to-side alowing it to negotiate tighter radiuses ?

Thanks again for the explanation.

Last edited:
Good evening .

Chet ... That is a nice shot of your logging operations.

Regarding Silver Streak kits, below is a wood caboose I put together using a kit for an SP caboose. I made it to resemble a GN caboose.

46295433382_88e4af66e4_k.jpg

Garry: Great looking caboose a nice Sharp photograph. It looks as though the Great Northern boxcar is derailed or about to derail?

I have noticed a big difference between posting here on the Coffee Shop and posting questions or comments other place at this website. If you post here you will get friendly and courteous answers and/or conversation. If you do it elsewhere, there is strong likelihood your answer; or, comment received may be sarcastic; or, downright nasty!

Good afternoon.

Terry ... Sorry to hear about your injury.

Curt .... Don't you just love technology. Now you see it. Now you don't.

Chet ... # 156 does look like it was a GN caboose. I like the Alco switcher passing by the trailer.

Willie. Boris, Chet, Greg, and others if I missed them ..... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

Below is my large grain elevator which ships to the flour mill and to the brewery.

45635028334_a71ba2d3cb_k.jpg

Garry: The Flour Mill scene looks very reminiscent open the area south of Fresno headed down toward Bakersfield although I I can't say it looks exact but similar enough. Your picture of Photography look great again and I like these different dimensional Heights of the trackage would you add to the scene!

I have noticed a big difference between posting here on the Coffee Shop and posting questions or comments other place at this website. If you post here you will get friendly and courteous answers and/or conversation. If you do it elsewhere, there is strong likelihood your answer; or, comment received may be sarcastic; or, downright nasty!

Say NP: That's rather disturbing do here! This is always a very friendly and congenial form to my understanding although I can't say I have been very active as posting into many of the other form areas but none the less it's surprising to hear that that is going on. Sounds like people from across the street managed to slip in? Time to get the forum railroad police after them!! thanks for alerting us.

Now here's a somewhat longer vid with 2 much longer trains at Austin, Montana, meeting at the big curve at the bottom of Mullan Pass. Interesting is the NS additions to the BNSF trains. Volume up for these, especially for the 5 MRL ACe's in the middle of the "up" train.

Toot: Wow, two lead loco's, five mid train helpers and a BNFS bring up the rear! I was wondering if the train was ever going to end!

Good Morning All. 39° and partly cloudy here in North Central Texas. Took advantage of the beautiful day outside yesterday to cut some more firewood from branches that I cut last winter and spring. Nothing like wind-free 60°+ weather in December. Set the Christmas tree up yesterday, one day later than normal, today it's string the lights. This year we put it in front of a window for the neighbors to see when they drive by.

Only spent a short period of time in the train shed yesterday due to other activity. I keep meaning to get pictures of that ROW/backyard scene that I worked on for what seemed like months, but I always get sidetracked. Eventually though.

Mark -

That is a question that I have asked before, wind gusts of 0 mph are hard to fathom as well. The one that really gets me is visibility of 10 miles when I can see the moon and the stars!
Curt - Looking forward to seeing the completed grade crossing. I have not used cardboard for something like that and will follow with interest. I have a beer store named after Eric, but nothing honoring Jeffrey.
Chet - You're right on regarding burning whole logs instead of splitting them. I only split to get them through the door of the heater. Around here, a cord is more than I need for a winter season.
Garry - I have probably said this in the past when you posted pictures of your mill, but you did an excellent job there.
Ray - Glad to read that the cyclone missed you. I saw some news reports of the problems in NSW, including the crocodile warning.
Terry - Best wishes on a rapid recovery. Hopefully you reported it ASAP because many companies/insurance carriers will provide roadblocks if you delay.

115 years ago today marked the first flight by the Wright Brothers. Seats have gotten smaller since then.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie: You said "Mark - That is a question that I have asked before, wind gusts of 0 mph are hard to fathom as well. The one that really gets me is visibility of 10 miles when I can see the moon and the stars! "

That's simple to answer, 'The stars are closer than ten miles away' !! LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back