Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 36 degrees to start the day without a cloud in the sky. The coffee is good as normal.

David - The old Silver Streak freight car kits are excellent wood kits. This wood caboose is one of them. They do take a bit of time but they are well worth the effort. I build 2 of them. I think I may have a couple of them still in the box unbuilt rat holed away somewhere.

IMAG0266.jpg I have a few Silver Streak box cars somewhere around the layout also.

Willie - Excellent photos. That's some really nice work. Well done. The wood burner you have sounds like what we used to have. Our upper level of the house is about 1600 sq ft and it easily was able to heat the entire upper level even when the temps were minus 40 degrees. We then went to a pellet stove which was excellent. When we first got it, pellets were around $35 a ton but then prices went up and are now in the $140 a ton range. When we fially got natural gas, we replaced the pellet stove with a gas stove which we both like. No mess at all. Have a thermostat on the wall and it will heat even if we lose power. That was a disadvantage with the pellet stove.

Joe -
I can well remember the wonderful aroma of th refineries in Bayone. My wife has a cousin who lives in Airmont, NY, right at the Jersey line and when were were coming up from Florida, we knew we were getting close by the scent.

Karl - I hope IB Ken's op session went well. I was in contact with him a few weeks ago ad he was working hard to get everything ready. I sure would like to see his layout in person.

Sherrel - Glad that you're feeling better. I wish that the people who design vehicles would have to work on them also. A freeze plug behind a motor mount is some great planning.

We're gpoing to take our daughter out tonight for her 42nd birthday. Boy does time fly. 5 of the grand kids are also coming so we figures that Applebees would be a good chioce because of the younger grand kids as they have a decent kids menu.

Think it's time to go down and run some trains for a while.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Train-Tracks.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Decided to go out with the wife for her errandso_O. What was I thinking of? It's been raining here for almost 24 hours but now it's just misting. It was supposed to stop at 6 am. Oh well, better than snow.

CA Dave- Happy Birthday. That was a nice box car the other day.

Willie- Great layout pics.

Chet- Nice looking cabin car.

Beady- That loco is sure close to the house.

I renamed this part of the layout after Jeffrey passed.

20181215_152643.jpg

when were were coming up from Florida, we knew we were getting close by the scent.
Chet: That's what we call the smell of money!
Decided to go out with the wife for her errandso_O. What was I thinking of?
Curt: What were you thinking???:oops:
David: Happy Birthday! I had one silver streak kit, which I attempted to build, about 10 years ago. It was fun, until I lost a crucial part, and put it aside. Might still have it somewhere. It was a refrigerator car as I recall.
Beady: That's cutting it close, for sure!
Sherrel: Happy you're feeling better.
It has been a dreary day here. Rain, Fog and dark. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Boris

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!! :)

I was looking for a birthday picture for you when I ran across this old girl and I thought you might enjoy seeing it.
View attachment 32566
Enjoy your day my friend!

Louis: Thanks, yes that is a neat old picture! I have one by MDC/Roundhouse that is very similar which I bought as a kit and assembled it. It's a nice looking loco but due to my grades I find it very difficult to get the balance adjusted to where it will even pull one old time coach my grade. I think I need to add more boiler weight, but where. Maybe some larger size solder laying over the boiler like large hose will add the needed weight !?

Afternoon All,

Decided to go out with the wife for her errandso_O. What was I thinking of? It's been raining here for almost 24 hours but now it's just misting. It was supposed to stop at 6 am. Oh well, better than snow.

CA Dave- Happy Birthday. That was a nice box car the other day.

Willie- Great layout pics.

Chet- Nice looking cabin car.

Beady- That loco is sure close to the house.

I renamed this part of the layout after Jeffrey passed.

View attachment 32580

Curt: Thanks, it's an early period style of car that is not to really seen especially with position able double doors and the fine bars of the ventilated door.

That was a very nice touch to name a portion of your layout after Jeffery, I may due the same. You reminded me that I dedicated a portion of my Horseshoe Meadow Depot to Jeffrey too ! I looked for the image but don't find it ?

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Karl mentioned during my op session last night that some of you were asking about me, so I figured I ought to check-in. Last 6 weeks have been a whirlwind of activity just making my trainroom presentable for visitors, plus household chores. Since MOH decided we should get as much of our heat as possible from our new wood-burning stove instead of the [oil] furnace, it seems like I spend cumulatively more time per week hauling/stacking firewood and maintaining fires when the house is occupied, than what I spent on weekends doing yardwork. The end of grass-mowing season hasn't really gained me any extra mrr time.

Main focus now is to get all my trains off the layout and back into their designated boxes, so I can roll out the workbench and start on my next project. Probably have to wait until after the holidays to do that though...

Hope y'all are doing well, everyone have a safe and happy Christmas!

Love that bridge Tom, maybe some day I will make it that far to be able to do a scene like this. Pick up any goodies?
That's my buddies bridge,I didn't bring the coal mine,space was limited.No vendors,its at a college culinary institute,they do a Christmas/open house.

Good evening.

David. ... I did not know it was your birthday. I hope it was a good one.

Tom ... I like the CSX SD50’s on the bridge.

Chet. ... I like your Silver Streak caboose . In the past I have assembled a few Silver Streak kits.

IB Ken ... Good to see you. Sounds like a fun operating session.

Everybody ... Happy model railroading .

Chet: That's what we call the smell of money!

Curt: What were you thinking???:oops:
David: Happy Birthday! I had one silver streak kit, which I attempted to build, about 10 years ago. It was fun, until I lost a crucial part, and put it aside. Might still have it somewhere. It was a refrigerator car as I recall.
Beady: That's cutting it close, for sure!
Sherrel: Happy you're feeling better.
It has been a dreary day here. Rain, Fog and dark. Tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Boris

Boris: Thanks for the happy birthday wish, even though I'm not feeling the greatest, it's been an enjoyable way to spend the day talking with everybody on here. That's always unfortunate when you lose the part that way oh, sorry to hear it but there might be others around some place? Or we can give ideas on how to make another one.

I hope your feeling better? How is your layout progressing ?

Good morning. 36 degrees to start the day without a cloud in the sky. The coffee is good as normal.

David - The old Silver Streak freight car kits are excellent wood kits. This wood caboose is one of them. They do take a bit of time but they are well worth the effort. I build 2 of them. I think I may have a couple of them still in the box unbuilt rat holed away somewhere.

View attachment 32567 I have a few Silver Streak box cars somewhere around the layout also.

Willie - Excellent photos. That's some really nice work. Well done. The wood burner you have sounds like what we used to have. Our upper level of the house is about 1600 sq ft and it easily was able to heat the entire upper level even when the temps were minus 40 degrees. We then went to a pellet stove which was excellent. When we first got it, pellets were around $35 a ton but then prices went up and are now in the $140 a ton range. When we fially got natural gas, we replaced the pellet stove with a gas stove which we both like. No mess at all. Have a thermostat on the wall and it will heat even if we lose power. That was a disadvantage with the pellet stove.

Joe - I can well remember the wonderful aroma of th refineries in Bayone. My wife has a cousin who lives in Airmont, NY, right at the Jersey line and when were were coming up from Florida, we knew we were getting close by the scent.

Karl - I hope IB Ken's op session went well. I was in contact with him a few weeks ago ad he was working hard to get everything ready. I sure would like to see his layout in person.

Sherrel - Glad that you're feeling better. I wish that the people who design vehicles would have to work on them also. A freeze plug behind a motor mount is some great planning.

We're gpoing to take our daughter out tonight for her 42nd birthday. Boy does time fly. 5 of the grand kids are also coming so we figures that Applebees would be a good chioce because of the younger grand kids as they have a decent kids menu.

Think it's time to go down and run some trains for a while.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Later

Chet: Yes, the Drovers caboose certainly shows and looks like they are a nice car kit. Were the trucks that came with those kits very free rolling like to Central Valley trucks if you had any of those kits? I'm wondering who made the Silver Streak kits?

The rail shot show something very interesting, if you will notice each tie on the tie plate out to the end on the right of course in line with the spike in each case has a split, that's from the closest tie to the farthest one you can see! That seems rather all to me that a small Spike she do that to each and every tie??

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Karl mentioned during my op session last night that some of you were asking about me, so I figured I ought to check-in. Last 6 weeks have been a whirlwind of activity just making my trainroom presentable for visitors, plus household chores. Since MOH decided we should get as much of our heat as possible from our new wood-burning stove instead of the [oil] furnace, it seems like I spend cumulatively more time per week hauling/stacking firewood and maintaining fires when the house is occupied, than what I spent on weekends doing yardwork. The end of grass-mowing season hasn't really gained me any extra mrr time.

Main focus now is to get all my trains off the layout and back into their designated boxes, so I can roll out the workbench and start on my next project. Probably have to wait until after the holidays to do that though...

Hope y'all are doing well, everyone have a safe and happy Christmas!

IB-Ken: Good to hear from you again, actually I haven't been to active myself and may have to slack off again fairly soon.

Lugging wood can and is time consuming but the heat is nice. Problem being, which of the two evils is more costly. I take a green garden wagon out to wood pile and load it up and keep it by the back porch door for easy access which seems to cut the lug time considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back