Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Found another little glitch with Win10 vis-à-vis this forum. After the recovery, although I had both IE and Edge symbols in the task bar, and 'cause I was using IE as my browser, which I had previously in both Win7 and Win10, set as my default, what I hadn't noticed was that that had changed to Edge as the default. (there was a quick "flash" of the edge symbol as I accessed sites from desktop shortcuts and from the taskbar, which had escaped my notice). Wasn't until I tried to write a reply with a name in bold that I realised something was amiss. I could activate the bold, write the name, move the cursor 1 step to the right, but no way would it de-activate the bold, so I could continue to write normally. Tried several times, logged in and out, restarted, shut down and restarted, all to no avail.

Then I did notice this little flash from Edge and realised what was going on, reset the browser default and as you can see, the bold option is working again as it should. SO, no Edge for me.

Even the techy we had over to "do" our machines said there's still things in Win10 that aren't playing with other programs. He's still using Win7 himself and waiting till 10 is sorted.

That's my guess. They've been acting strange ever since.

The summer of '14-'15, we had a lightning strike hit a tree just on the other side of the road, thought someone had dropped an empty shipping container outside the front door by the bang and crash it made. Rushed outside to see a blackened tree, but as we came inside again, there was this loud humming coming from the side speakers of our surround system (plugged in but not on). Disconnected them and switched it on and found the other 3 were OK and it was at least still working. That lasted a few days, was about to buy new speakers, when it just went silent. That's it then I thought, it was 15 years old, time for a new one. After trying a sound bar (big failure) and the getting of another system, before I threw the old one out, I pulled it's casing off. While it did have remote control of volume and sound levels, it had to be manually switched to the sources. What was so good about the volume control, was that it had a rotating knob (manual or remote) that was geared and motorised with a little light (doubt it was LED) you could see to judge it's position, not that you needed to, by ear was ample, and you could adjust by tapping the control to get it just right. Not like the digital buttons that have steps that are either too quiet or too loud. So, what did I find inside when I opened it up......4 glass tube fuses, with 2 of them blown.

I want my Milwaukee Road lantern and books.....NOW!!

Sorry gentlemen....a bit of a moment there! :p :eek:

This lantern and books takes ages, it's like being a kid waiting for Santa every time I've got something Milwaukee Road in the mail....that's good, right??

Who's up for a pint....or a hot cup of Java?

Good evening everyone,

I did a bit more work getting the next section of track set in place on the Central Valley branch line tie strips and will be out there again shortly. The CV tie strips sure do make the job a lot easier with their pre-molded tie plates but I'm still using my Old cast brass Kemtron three point track gauges to ensure the rail is spiked down in the proper gauge especially as I'm standing on a two step platform ladder leaning over about 28"s trying to keep the rail somewhat straight on this back upper section. I'm also going to add at least one passing/holding siding toward the inside, maybe two but I still haven't decided on the second PS.

Good afternoon

Eric .. Sorry to hear cary's enthusiasm is gone for now. Let him know I care if you can.

Curt ... With track I am currently doing something like you. I pulled up one of my main line tracks yesterday, because certain trains derail. In this location, the roadbed is not even, and I will remove it so I do it right. Trains can run around on the other track because it is a double track main line. However, I'm not running trains if I'm busy with track.

Terry in Wisconsin .... oops !

Justin ... Looks like you are still running trains close to the edger. If so, I suggest you staple cardboard fence for the time being before you have another "Floor Model".

I don't care who wins the Super Bowel. I'm not planning to watch it.

Happy Model Railroading

Say Garry: I have to agree with you when you asked Eric to tell Carry we feel bad for him. I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, it's medical issues that are are causing him to loose interest, although there certainly can be others such as home repairs that need attention etc. I know about the home, roof repair situation.

Say Chessie: As Garry points out, an edge guard is something very useful. If your track is too close to the edge cut a strip of plywood/OSB chip board to attach under your existing table top and screw it on from underneath using short drywall screws and then cut another length of board to attach to the shelf to extend out as far as you want to create more space so your trains are not running right along the edge as well as allowing for some edge scenery. You can still add some type of fence along the new edge as an added precaution. Reducing your speed and watching for derailments is also a good thing!

Hep, hep! I beens HIP-mo-tized!

Poo-poo the roundy-round all ya's like, try four! LOL!

I got 'stuck' watching four all going in the same direction on different lines and pass, pass, pass, each other for an hour with the trackmobile aimlessly doing figure 8's! Not having any scenery detracted from it not at all! Having scenery and some elevations will be much, much better!

Say N/Old Guy: One of these days maybe we'll actually learn your name?? Anyway, Happy Birthday and many more!!
Oh, it's good to know this forum has been such a help to you as it is to all of us in one way or another..

20160207_141042_zpslwn0ssv1.jpg

Say Curt: Judging from what you've done here and in past projects your more than adept at scratch building and making some nice stuff. Your Oil loading deck looks real nice and the railing on it looks very well constructed.

Afternoon, all! 40f and snow. Supposed to get cold this week.
Been keeping up with posts, just haven't had much to say.
The grandson's Peewee A team is rated 1st in the state of Minnesota for hockey. Playoffs start next week I think. His team's playing for the Championship in a tourney today.
Work has been hindered by the weather. I am waaaay to old to work outside if I don't absolutely have to. The owners won't be back til May and said to be done by then. Works for me!

I see some of you guys have been busy workin' on the railroad! Neat stuff!
Happy B-day, NG!

Had a whooops moment the other day. I use big push pins as hand brakes in Rice Lake due to the section being on a grade. Made a run around move, picked up my train and pull out of the city. Unfortunately, the pin holding the train caught on the coupler of the caboose. I did not know that important piece of information.

002_zpsywxs2roi.jpg

Couldn't figure out why it wasn't moving. Applied LOTS of power. That worked.

Terry in NW Wisconsin

That sure looks like you'll get demoted for that if the Supper Intendent finds out! LoL What is the thing the box car is leaning against that looks like a light pole of some sort?

All kinds of odd things happen at times, it can get frustrating yet it makes operation seem somewhat realistic. I was reading a story in in Trains Magazine where at MP 14, just West of Clinton in Malone, Iowa where the track has a long dip to it, where the cars bunch up going into the dip and then as the slack is taken out as the locos start pulling up grade there is a lot of tension put on the knuckles and as a result they tend to break at that location causing the train to come uncoupled and a fellow, Ed Clopton who lived right near the spot the knuckles would break used to go out and collect them and one day helped te Chicago & North Western by giving them two they didn't have in one afternoon. Lucky for us modelers that doesn't happen!

Good Morning All. It's 33 degrees and clear this morning here. Temps yesterday stayed in the mid-50's with mostly cloudy skies and no wind, so it wasn't a bad day. In the train shed, I did a little more work on ground cover and started assembling another DPM kit, I think it is called "The Other Corner Cafe". I'm in the midst of painting it right now, maybe I'll remember to take a picture or two. Since retiring a few months ago, I have taken over the kitchen at my house. Today's Super Bowl menu includes barbecued ribs, potato salad, deviled eggs and green bean casserole made with real onions and mushrooms. Last night I made baked herb-crusted salmon (wild caught, not farm raised), sweet potatoes and Parmesan-coated baked asparagus. Cooking/eating is another hobby of mine.
Terry - I hope that your good luck at Best Buy continues with the taxmen.
Karl - Backing up a bit, I thought the "Mac" comment was hilarious. By the way, I may be the only person in the USA who has truly never eaten at a McDonalds in my life. Didn't have them nearby when I was a kid (not that my parents would allow it anyway), and I never had the urge afterwards.
Chet - See comment above.
Curt - Unlike Sherrel, I won't kidnap you, you'd run me ragged!

Well it's been a month since we heard from Tony (Wombat457). Wonder what happened to him. At least his name has not been in the Canisteo NY obits yet. That's always a good sign.
Wow, it's daylight already. I better get to the Train Shed before my wife awakens and finds a project for me in the house.

Willie

Willie: I'm glad to know a bit about Tony, I was getting to know him a bit and he was going to try and help me learn to use the SCARM program but I never attempted to get involved with it again yet.

Oh dear....need catch up lost time then!

View attachment 55679

That quite a RR cartoon and probably has a lot of truth to it too!

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Morning guys! Cold and gray and where the heck is spring? You Southern Boys got it made!

Rolling Thunder is what I'm calling it when I get four or more pulling at least ten each it actually gets to where you CAN hear it at the top of the stairs from the basement! Sound off of course, sound on is another story, I have not checked how far away I can be and still hear them. I suppose I can trust the track work, I leave em run when I go get more coffee and they are still on track when I come back down.

Ok guys so in light of everything I have decided to go ahead and bullet proof my mountain. Started adding on plaster to it. Eric I did get some alcohol. Not the beverage type unfortunately but do please enlighten me as to what your definition is of a splash.

Justin

As an example, in about an 1/2 pint bottle, maybe about 1 shot glass of ISO (91% is what I use) and 50/50 glue and water to fill it up. But it's really like making gravy - there is no hard fast recipe per se. I do try to be close to the 50/50 glue/water mix however.
E.

Just heard from the guy that got my T1: the decoder went up in smoke after an hour of running. He's not happy. I guess I have two choices regarding my BLI stuff, so I don't honk anybody else off... Keep them until they die, then throw them in the trash, or pre-emptively throw them in the trash, to save myself aggravation.

A chilly 35 here this morning. Decent chance of light precip this afternoon with a wee chance of scattered flurries tonight with little to no accumulation.
E.

Just heard from the guy that got my T1: the decoder went up in smoke after an hour of running. He's not happy. I guess I have two choices regarding my BLI stuff, so I don't honk anybody else off... Keep them until they die, then throw them in the trash, or pre-emptively throw them in the trash, to save myself aggravation.

Gees Man! You've been having the worst luck all around!
I'd be letting BLI know. With that kind of money involved I'd think they would be concerned about their reputation and want to make good. I know I won't touch one right now.
Just my 2 pence.
E.

Yea, for the money these BLI's should dance and sing, decoders messed up and going "up in smoke" is not a good thing and BLI should know and care. I can't see me getting another. Three is "enuff" and one of em keeps messing up.

Good Morning All. Clear and 40 degrees here in North Central Texas this morning. Looking forward to another beautiful day today, although it will be about 10 degrees colder, 55 for a high. Spent most of yesterday either in the garden or the kitchen. Same on tap for today. For those that may garden by the moon, tonight's the New Moon, get those roots planted today! I did do some train related stuff yesterday, see below.
MW113 - What a true cartoon, unfortunately.
Sherrel - All for me and the wife. We live too far from most people to have many guests over. Besides, all of my friends do their major drinking at home...safer for all of us!
Eric - But is Windows 10 better than Windows 7. If so, in what way? So far I have refused to download it. My wife's laptop has Windows 8 on it and I just can't really get the hang of it. To me, there's gotta be a catch to it somewhere if Microsoft is offering Win10 for free.
Justin - I haven't ever tried to do the alcohol/glue/water method that Eric mentions. I spread ballast, then spray with alcohol/water spray, then dribble water/glue/soap mixture on it. You can control the flow better in my opinion, I would think that spraying the glue/alcohol/water mixture would make clean-up messy.
Garry -
I don't care who wins the Super Bowel. I'm not planning to watch it.
My feelings as well.
David -
One of these days maybe we'll actually learn your name??
Rob??

I mentioned yesterday that I was working on a DPM kit and was in the midst of painting it. Here is a picture (I know everyone loves pictures) of the work in progress. I still need to add window glass, weathering, sidewalks and possibly interior detail.
02-07-16 004.1.JPG
Sorry for the lack of centering, I had already consumed a beer or two when I took it.
Well off to the train shed for my morning ritual. Everybody have a wonderful day.

Willie

Well, I'm off to work, and sometime this morning I'll be doing battle via phone with Time Warner, Dell, and, of course, the State of North Carolina. Wish me luck.

Eric - But is Windows 10 better than Windows 7. If so, in what way? So far I have refused to download it. My wife's laptop has Windows 8 on it and I just can't really get the hang of it. To me, there's gotta be a catch to it somewhere if Microsoft is offering Win10 for free.

My advice to folks currently on Win7 - stay with it. Win10 won't get you anything new or better - IMHO.
If MS would have kept up with XP Pro, I'd likely still be on that platform.
E.

Just after win 10 is all settled in win 11 will be hitting the shelves. To a dummy like me it really makes no difference what they call it!
09d6722a955ed7252d4514e7816e8a07.jpgThis is as complicated as I care to get, I am a Simple kind of Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning ! It's a chilly 42f and may get to 65f later. Next few days will be colder with little or no rain. Garage to cold to run trains altho will have to get out there to do laundry.
Keep the pictures posting ,enjoy seeing them. The jokes aren't bad either, tho the trains take second place to MOH .

Phil

p.s. No don't have a girl friend, I know better. I'm a heavy sleeper and Deb has a gun and also knows where the knives are. You don't mess with a woman who has an Irish/Indian heritage. [Southern Cheyenne and Cherokee] She was also known at Port of Miami as The Dragon Lady. No joke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning gang,
35 and sunny, sunbathing at the office this morning.:eek: Looking for 3-5 inches of white stuff tonight.
Terry Your experiences with BLI read like a Steven King novel......between them and MTH, I'm sticking with brass. It might cost more, but I can fix brass myself! !

KARL / TERRY - With all the problems with sound and DCC , very happy to stay with DC and only sound is the clickity clack of the wheels on the tracks.

Phil

Good morning. 29 degrees to start off the day with a high in the low 40's in the forecast.

Now I have to catch up on the weekends posts. Pass on snowmobiling on Saturday, but went out on Sunday. No wind and a beautiful day. I did get started on the freight station build Saturday using Woodland Scenics ice house kit. Blew a hole in the wall where the addition to the loading dock will be added. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Willie - Nice srart on the building. I sure find that painting all of the windows can be a real pain. I used quite a few DPM kits in the downtown area of my town of Logan. I think my eyeballs were looking at each other by the time I got finished.

Terry - Smoking decoders ???? Don't have that problem running DC only. It the decoder in the heavy mike pukes, I guess I could find a way to wire it for DC only. Hope you win your upcoming battles. By the way, I hope you detailed the under side of those derailed freight cars.

Curt - Thanks for the photo. Looks like the project is moving right along.

Phil - I'm with you and will stick with DC.

I have an out of state model railroad friend who is afraid that he may lose his layout and is blaming it on Obama. His son and daughter in law may have to move in with him along with their two tear old son. His son was laid off because the company he worked for will be closing down. The company has been mired in government regulations and Obama care probably was the last straw. The owned decided to call it quits and retire instead of having to put up with all of the government BS.

If his son and family has to move in, The largest bedroom available is in his basement, right along side his train layout. With an active 2 year old, the chances of having his layout surviving aren't very good. He does have a bedroom up stairs, but it is quite small for his son's family. Quite a dilemma. His son works (or did work) out of town and jobs in that area are non existent in his field and he would have no way to support his family. Without a job, it would be hard to come up with rent but he is hoping to find some kind of work back home where my friend lives. To Be Continued . . . . . . . . . .

Back