Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Morning gents,
50 and mostly cloudy here on "Super Tuesday".
Guess I'll get some clothes on and head up to vote.
I really feel like going back to bed.
E.

Morning gents,
50 and mostly cloudy here on "Super Tuesday".
Guess I'll get some clothes on and head up to vote.
I really feel like going back to bed.
E.

Ah! forget the clothes, make a statement for freedom :eek:

Good morning. 23 degrees to start off the day. Wouldn't mind being back in Florida right now.

Yesterday I had about 16 yards of road mix gravel delivered and resurfaced my driveway. It really needed it. I don't mind working in the cold, but there was about a 25 mph wild blowing and I nearly froze my butt off. The old skid steer earned it keep too. I think I'm getting too old Old.giffor this. At least it's finished. Considering that it's only the second time this was done in 38 years, I'll probably be pushing up daisies before it need it again.

Terry - The wayward driver you mentioned must have been booking to leave parts all over the place. Log 1, Driver 0.

Never got a chance to take a photo of the reefer car that I put together Sunday. Guess I'll do that later.

Have a god one. I'm going to take he day off and relax.

Good Morning All. 58 degrees and mostly clear here this morning. Today is not going to be as hot as the last two days but it is only a one-day cool spell, well if 66 is cool for March 1! Well I got some pictures for you all on some of my current projects, but I'll be darned if I can find the memory card, it's probably in the laundry hamper. I will post when I find it.
Ken in MD - I too am timid about using an airbrush. I have one but my results have been mixed. I am looking forward to your adventures as I think it can be a much more useful tool than I experiencing.
Phil - Bare arms...I like it.:)
Sherrel - Boy what a lot of issues...broken water line, computer that won't cooperate. Good luck.
Curt - I don't know whether that was an insult or an honer! LOL
To all who have questions regarding NG. I don't know whether he was banned from Model Train Forum, or whether he just "took his ball and went home". The most controversial thread was this one: http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=71002
There were others. While I disagreed with him on some matters, I still liked reading his posts as they were different than those of us "stodgy old-timers". He admitted that he was just running trains, not modeling anything. Bob, our administrator has confirmed to me that he was not banned here so he can come back.
OK, I'm off to vote on Super Tuesday. Polling place is about 8 miles away. I'm sure the beer store down the street will be busy. Get out and vote if you are in one of the states voting today; and remember what Getty Lee sang in the Rush song "Free Will", "...if you decide not to decide, you still have made a choice..."
Have a great day everyone.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as voting goes, I'm of the opinion that if you don't, or you vote informal, you don't have the right to moan about who you get.

Toot - Agreed wholeheartedly. For the last eight years, I have been living with the only President in my life that is younger than me, I do moan!

Willie

Good morning .... I've been out of town. ..... Got back late last night.

Looks like everyone is active. I'll catch up on your posts late today.

I did my civic duty for the day.
No line at all.
It was a lot longer walk up there than I remember.
E

Good Morning, 2 below and sunny. Supposed to gradually warm up all week. I don't see how it could cool off any more.

I ordered some new stuff yesterday, a birthday present to myself. I got the 4 pack of Rapido Swift red refer cars, as well as a 4 pack of GN stock cars by BLI. Gonna be culling out some of my old ebay purchases to try to keep my hoard somewhat streamlined.

I really wanted the Rapido NP box car set but they are pre order and not gonna be seen until 2017! Seems a little extreme, I will take my chances and maybe pick them up from a hobby dealer when they are actually available.

Willie - Looks like NG copped quite an attitude on the other forum. I guess what he can't understand is that your trains are your trains and you can do with them what you want. Quite a number of us apparently misunderstood him when we tried to give him a hand. It seemed like he wanted to improve what he had but couldn't take the suggestions the way they were meant. Think he needs a cooling off period.

Good morning folks.

Long time no see! I haven't posted anything for awhile because I have spent zero time in the train room these days. Not that I haven't thought about going in there, I just never seem to quite make it through the door. Funny thing is, I know if I just start playing around, I'll enjoy it again. Funny how you know you like to do something but don't do it. Maybe I'll have to wander in there one of these days.

I do read this forum every few days, just to see what's going on. Funny how the dynamics change every few months with members coming and going. I guess that's life.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Good Morning All. 58 degrees and mostly clear here this morning. Today is not going to be as hot as the last two days but it is only a one-day cool spell, well if 66 is cool for March 1! Well I got some pictures for you all on some of my current projects, but I'll be darned if I can find the memory card, it's probably in the laundry hamper. I will post when I find it.
Ken in MD - I too am timid about using an airbrush. I have one but my results have been mixed. I am looking forward to your adventures as I think it can be a much more useful tool than I experiencing.

Willie

Willie....please don't be timid about airbrushing...it really doesn't have a huge learning curve and after just a small amount of practise the results can be really satisfying and fun, almost addictive really.
The best unasked advice I can give is 1) get some cardboard, like from cereal boxes and practise on it ....2) get old cheap boxcars and practise on them. And 3) ask for help here and on other forums when you run into problems.

cheers
gene

You hit the nail on the head gene. It really doesn't take a lot of practice to be proficient with an air brush. Many many moons ago I picked up my first air brush (which I still happen to have) and with a little bit of practice I built up my confidence and before long I was doing all sorts of custom painting and weathering projects.

Good morning fellow spike stompers.
Just finished breakfast - thought about you Eric. Had eggs "up" topped with Cholula sauce with toasted English muffins with sausage white gravy and strawberry jam. Finished it all off with a Nice cup of Keurig style Green Mountain French Vanilla coffee with sugar free Italian Sweet Cream creamer. I thought I would post this before I go out and STARE at my ditch in the front yard. Still haven't decided how I am going to re-route those three center sprinklers to try and avoid this happening again. LOL .. at my age Probably should not be too concerned about this aspect.

On a brighter note: Screwing around with the settings on the touchpad seems to have done something? I have been pretty trouble free here lately. Computer seems to be "acting" more normal (thank you, Jesus; and bless TERRY and bless KEN for their help and suggestions. In case you are wondering .. I detest having to take a computer in to a shop and stand around waiting longer than it takes to repair just to get someone to wait on you. I had an uncle who spent 28.5 years in the Air Force. He would NOT EVER go out to eat with the family at a cafeteria because he said that the last thing he wanted to do was stand in another line. LOL, I retired a few years early (realize it was a mistake now) because I too was tired of standing in lines at security checkpoints, to board (when not working) to deplane, and to collect luggage .. not to mention looking desperately for a place to have a smoke the latter few years. Of course, took a long time, but finally gave that up little over three years ago. I used to tell people that I had to keep smoking to stay ahead of the cancer. Well, that's exactly what happened .. I quit smoking, and sure enough, a couple years later .. I got cancer, LOL. OK, Enough (you probably don't care anyway)! Gonna go look at my ditch before it gets hot.

Hope Joe is having fun with his Court duty ..hope all the rest of you are having fun too!

Good Afternoon fellow modelers.
Gene, Chet - I feel that my main problem with the airbrush is selecting the right brand of paint. That's why Ken's thread interested me. I'll get it someday. Like I said, I have had some successes, but not all of them.
OK, I found my memory card and I have some pictures. A few weeks ago,I posted this first one of a DPM structure I was building, called "The Other Corner Cafe". That picture was a very early un-detailed view. I have since added the sidewalk, weathered it, added signage and figures. The second two pictures are where I ended up. All of the window treatments are still temporary as I am still looking for some appropriate "inside" shots to add.
02-07-16 004.1.JPG
Here are the two new ones:
03-01-16 011.1.JPG03-01-16 008.1.JPG

Hope everyone who had the chance already voted today.

Willie

Looks real good Willie. Sure hate painting the windows. I really liked the old Floquil paints. They had a great variety of colors and I always got good results with an air brush. I haven't needed to crank it up in years so it would be a learning experience for me also with the paints on the market today. What few projects I have done recently, such as buildings and the streets in the last town, I have been using rattle cans, mainly because it would probably take more time to clean the air brush that it would take to paint what ever I was painting. If I were to go back to custom painting locomotives or freight equipment, I would use an air brush. I do have a few freight cars that should have some light weathering done to them, so the air brush could see the light of day again. May have to do some experimenting with paints than.

Just finished breakfast - thought about you Eric. Had eggs "up" topped with Cholula sauce with toasted English muffins with sausage white gravy and strawberry jam.
How did any of that remind you of me?
Maybe the sausage gravy and only on biscuits but nothing else.
My eggs have to be over-hard or scrambled.

Have a good day with your ditch!
E

Speaking of all this airbrush work, did anyone reply to request about an assortment of paints could get all at once instead of getting a bottle here and there?
The flat black I wanted to use on my junction platform building was completely useless.
E.

Afternoon All,

I voted today (early voting). Ran trains for about 2 hours and spent about 15 minutes troubleshooting a power issue before finding a failed solder on a feeder wire (was not recently worked on). I also found a place where 2 sections of rail meet that needed some sanding. Tomorrow I hope to clean the gutters in the morning and take the grandkids to dental late afternoon.

Bob- Nothing wrong with being gainfully employed.

David- It was nice seeing a picture of Jeff again.

Willie- Definitely no insult intended. Great looking buildings.

Sherrel- That is the way I felt about going on a cruise after retiring from the Navy. It took about 10 years before I went on one.

Here are 2 of our animals that turned themselves into hair balls while napping. Their heads are to the front under them.

20160301_143123_zps025egumk.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back