Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

Nice photos Sherrel. He's done some fantastic work from what the photos show.

Curt - I think the second position. The tower would have a better view both along the main line and the yard area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say On the ground :D. Chet makes a sound practical suggestion but I think it gets lost in teh mass of the coal tipple. From an aesthetic point of view I think the first position is better.

Afternoon All,

Did some more testing on the yard ladder and I am satisfied. I ballasted the main, put a little ground cover in, and painted the new yard track. I also built 2 signs for the yard trying to stick with the Pennsy signage. They aren't the greatest, but I'm OK with that, it's the best I could do.

Has anyone else been having issues with Photobucket? Ever since their maintenance about a week ago I have been having failures to load from my phone and when it does it uploads 4-6 of the same photo. When I go in to delete all the copies it says that the URL is messed up and can't be deleted.

Justin- The road and ballasting looks good. You are more neat than me with the ballast.

WJLI26- Several years ago we had a nesting pair we could see from our front yard, but since then we rarely see one flying around. Urban sprawl probably caused them to move.

NG- I believe they are M-18's but not sure. I don't know much about tanks. The tube brace was made from unused cabin car train phone support brackets that I modified and mounted.

Chet- Great picture. If I had to guess I would say it was the Broadway Limited.

Sherrel- Great pictures.

20160126_145837_zpslnyw6dsr.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi Curt: I'm a little confused as to what your referring to as your, 'Tower' ? Are you referring to the switchman's two story control house or a Water Tower [Tank] as they were referred to ?

Your, 'Yard Limit & Speed signs', look great!

I just woke up but I think that was called a Hellcat, SWEET! A FAST late WW2 Tank Destroyer type machine with an awesome gun! I could tell yours were different than what I've got here, did not even get they were 'custom', nice touch! The mounting post threw me way off into self propelled gun land looking for a match, it's rare but not unknown on true "Tanks"!

I've been checking my WW2 encyclopedia and other sources and am finding nothing to match this 'thing' on my layout.

Curt, I'm no expert on where a railroad would place a tower, but things to consider would be the type of mechanisms required to connect the tower to the various turnouts it controls/how they would laid out. Also foot or vehicular access to it for the operators or maintenance staff. Either location you show seem to satisfy any overview of the track from them.

David- I'm talking about the 2 story switch building in the 2 photos.
Curt ... You mean it is not the spray bottlle sittng on the track ? ... LOL ... Seriously, I like the second location the best.

Sherrel .... The Frisco steam locomotives look like masterpieces. Thanks for showing them.

....... I sometimes can't help the feeling that "people like me" should not have "something like THIS!"

Picture little old 5'8" me in your 6'4" face slapping you telling you "don't you EVER think BOY - EVER!!!!"
It's lack of seeing one's self-worth that keeps many people from reaching their God given potential.
EVERYONE has the potential do great things - be it a hobby or otherwise.
Like Chet said about me using those rock mold castings. I'd never done nor seen it done. I just envisioned it and how it should go and went with.
You have the skills whether you know it not. Just like I don't consider myself my an artist (and still don't). But, when my Uncle Jim saw pics of my layout he called me out "bull s...t you ARE an artist! That's just awesome work."

IF you ever find yourself in doubt and in need of a DI b...ching out, I'll be happy to provide. Just keep me off the speaker phone - if not, keep women and children out of the room. I know you can relate. ooorahh!!
E.

Evening Gents,
Got in another a.$$ busting day at the re-model job. Larry was a wee hungover this morning so our first order of business was for him to cook us steak and eggs and sausage for breakfast. Suited me fine! With that breakfast put down I barely took a break all day. Worked right through lunch while he went and did errands.
After he got back around 1430 he was joking about having a shot. I said I didn't mind so long as he went and got me 6 pack of Bud and get me a ride home. I got to take care of my cats! Since we never leave his house until 1730 or later, we both concurred it would be ok for him to have a shot and be fine by driving time. So we did. I had a few more shots and was ready to keep working for hours.
Hope he doesn't get too wasted tonight. As I told him on the way home tonight "your project is becoming my project and I'm all into it. I don't mind a day or two off but don't go off on another binge."

Too bad we're not working in HO.
I hate high ladders and the worse is yet to come.
Having said that - negative. That will be when I have to pull the toilets out. Which now begs another question: why is there hard wood flooring in a bathroom?
Probably shouldn't say too much more. Likely some new nasty job he doesn't want to do will get put on me.

IN the mean time, I'm sticking back money. Ssshhhh.... don't tell no body!!
E

Eric, seeing you say you don't like high ladders is a big help to me. I've had to do it a few times, they all say, face your fears, it'll get easier each time. Doesn't seem to work that way with me, just the opposite. In fact when it gets to the last instance doing it, that's when I really freeze.

By the way, when it comes to keeping secrets, remember this is a public forum, don't have to be a member to read it.

I just woke up but I think that was called a Hellcat, SWEET! A FAST late WW2 Tank Destroyer type machine with an awesome gun! I could tell yours were different than what I've got here, did not even get they were 'custom', nice touch! The mounting post threw me way off into self propelled gun land looking for a match, it's rare but not unknown on true "Tanks"!

I've been checking my WW2 encyclopedia and other sources and am finding nothing to match this 'thing' on my layout.

Okay now you are getting into one of my areas of expertise. I was a volunteer docent at the U.S> Army Ordinance Museum at Aberdeen util it was closed and moved to Ft Lee as part of BRAC.

The tanks shown in the photos a few pages bank are what some of us would refer to as a 'Frankentank' meaning it was assembled with components from two different models of tanks.

In this case I believe the turret is supposed to be an M-41 Walker Bulldog light tank. That is based on the smooth angular side with an extended rear bustle. If the edges of the side and bustle were more rounded I would believe it is an M-47 Patton medium tank which would be the right turret for the chassis. But the M-47 turret was cast which causes the edges to be more rounded while the M-41 turret was welded which is the reason it has sharper, angular edges.

The Hull appears to be from an M-46 or M-47 tank I'm leaning towards an M-46 hull but would have to see a ground level side view to be more confident. Both had the twin mufflers on the rear fenders. The big difference in the two was in the engine/transmission. the M-46 final drive sat lower causing the drive sprocket at the rear sat lower causing the last portion of the upper track to slope down (and you thought train guys could get detail oriented :))

The difference for modelling purposes is the weight of the two tanks. The M-41 weighed about 26-27 tons. The M-46/M-47 weighed 48-49 tons all are early Cold War period (1950s). Based on the weight Medium tanks (M46, M47, etc) are generally transported on Dept of Defense owned rail cars (DODX series) I believe they were designed once Tanks started getting heavy enough that there wasn't a large pool of commercial flat cars that could carry large numbers of an organizations tanks. The ones I have seen have 3 axle trucks but I have seen pictures of newer ones with 2 axle trucks. I believe the six axle cars are at least 150 ton (based on picture of them with two M-1 tanks on them which can run 65-75 tons depending on how much 'load out' they have) The 4 axle cars are 100 ton capacity ( I've seen pictures of them with one M-1 on them) If you google DODX you'll find lots of information on those cars.

Oh during WWII and the Cold War a Platoon had 5 tanks, a Company had 17 tanks and I think (from memory) a Battalion had 254. There were also various 'soft skins' that could be included in the load. A company move (say to a training area like Ft Hood, Ft Drum, or Ft Knox) would make an interesting consist. Besides the flat cars there would be passenger cars for the troops and box cars for other cargo. I'm not sure if a Battalion would all fit in one consist.

Hope this helps

Bob

Okay now you are getting into one of my areas of expertise. I was a volunteer docent at the U.S> Army Ordinance Museum at Aberdeen util it was closed and moved to Ft Lee as part of BRAC.

The tanks shown in the photos a few pages bank are what some of us would refer to as a 'Frankentank' meaning it was assembled with components from two different models of tanks.

In this case I believe the turret is supposed to be an M-41 Walker Bulldog light tank. That is based on the smooth angular side with an extended rear bustle. If the edges of the side and bustle were more rounded I would believe it is an M-47 Patton medium tank which would be the right turret for the chassis. But the M-47 turret was cast which causes the edges to be more rounded while the M-41 turret was welded which is the reason it has sharper, angular edges.

The Hull appears to be from an M-46 or M-47 tank I'm leaning towards an M-46 hull but would have to see a ground level side view to be more confident. Both had the twin mufflers on the rear fenders. The big difference in the two was in the engine/transmission. the M-46 final drive sat lower causing the drive sprocket at the rear sat lower causing the last portion of the upper track to slope down (and you thought train guys could get detail oriented :))

The difference for modelling purposes is the weight of the two tanks. The M-41 weighed about 26-27 tons. The M-46/M-47 weighed 48-49 tons all are early Cold War period (1950s). Based on the weight Medium tanks (M46, M47, etc) are generally transported on Dept of Defense owned rail cars (DODX series) I believe they were designed once Tanks started getting heavy enough that there wasn't a large pool of commercial flat cars that could carry large numbers of an organizations tanks. The ones I have seen have 3 axle trucks but I have seen pictures of newer ones with 2 axle trucks. I believe the six axle cars are at least 150 ton (based on picture of them with two M-1 tanks on them which can run 65-75 tons depending on how much 'load out' they have) The 4 axle cars are 100 ton capacity ( I've seen pictures of them with one M-1 on them) If you google DODX you'll find lots of information on those cars.

Oh during WWII and the Cold War a Platoon had 5 tanks, a Company had 17 tanks and I think (from memory) a Battalion had 254. There were also various 'soft skins' that could be included in the load. A company move (say to a training area like Ft Hood, Ft Drum, or Ft Knox) would make an interesting consist. Besides the flat cars there would be passenger cars for the troops and box cars for other cargo. I'm not sure if a Battalion would all fit in one consist.

Hope this helps

Bob

Thank you, I thought I was going 'more' insane trying to 'place' those things. "Frankentank" sums it up very well.

LOL! My "platoon" was in contact "up North" and was whittled down to three! War is Hell!

"Face your fears" is CRAP! I went AIRBORNE thinking it would cure my anxiety of high places! LOL! NOT!!!! 8 jumps and I get vertigo changing a light bulb! Ladders and ROOFS??? "Fuggetaboutit!"

Thank you, I thought I was going 'more' insane trying to 'place' those things. "Frankentank" sums it up very well.

LOL! My "platoon" was in contact "up North" and was whittled down to three! War is Hell!

"Face your fears" is CRAP! I went AIRBORNE thinking it would cure my anxiety of high places! LOL! NOT!!!! 8 jumps and I get vertigo changing a light bulb! Ladders and ROOFS??? "Fuggetaboutit!"

Not a problem! Not often I can claim much expertise with this group so I'm glad to help where I can.

I agree with the 'Face your fears' is CRAP sentiment Heights and I don't get along and never had. If anything it is getting WORSE as I get older! My son was ABN qualified. Us Air Force types had one question to ask all those ABN types - Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Only one person (Who was actually an ABN qualified Air Force forward controller ever had a reasonable response.

Picture little old 5'8" me in your 6'4" face slapping you telling you "don't you EVER think BOY - EVER!!!!"
It's lack of seeing one's self-worth that keeps many people from reaching their God given potential.
EVERYONE has the potential do great things - be it a hobby or otherwise.
Like Chet said about me using those rock mold castings. I'd never done nor seen it done. I just envisioned it and how it should go and went with.
You have the skills whether you know it not. Just like I don't consider myself my an artist (and still don't). But, when my Uncle Jim saw pics of my layout he called me out "bull s...t you ARE an artist! That's just awesome work."

IF you ever find yourself in doubt and in need of a DI b...ching out, I'll be happy to provide. Just keep me off the speaker phone - if not, keep women and children out of the room. I know you can relate. ooorahh!!
E.

Thanks E! I try to be a 'humble bumble' cause I know I'm not "all that".

Not a problem! Not often I can claim much expertise with this group so I'm glad to help where I can.

I agree with the 'Face your fears' is CRAP sentiment Heights and I don't get along and never had. If anything it is getting WORSE as I get older! My son was ABN qualified. Us Air Force types had one question to ask all those ABN types - Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Only one person (Who was actually an ABN qualified Air Force forward controller ever had a reasonable response.

WHY?

That's easy, it's MUCH safer to jump with a chute than to ride the plane back down, even to a runway landing!

Eric, seeing you say you don't like high ladders is a big help to me. I've had to do it a few times, they all say, face your fears, it'll get easier each time. Doesn't seem to work that way with me, just the opposite. In fact when it gets to the last instance doing it, that's when I really freeze.

By the way, when it comes to keeping secrets, remember this is a public forum, don't have to be a member to read it.

LOL! Good point! It amazes me when I hear about folks who make their living busting people because they forget that every keystroke is recorded seem to forget that EVERY key stroke is RECORDED and end up getting busted!

The price for unlimited knowledge of others by you is unlimited knowledge of you by others. BAZINGA!

David- I'm talking about the 2 story switch building in the 2 photos.

Curt: I'd say that possibly the area in the first photo to the Left of the blue tape, if there is room? My thinking is that will give the yardmaster the best view of both areas as it's somewhat centralized.

In the second photo, just to the Left of the switch, I notice that it appears you have the ties of the outer track on top of the ties of the inner track? Maybe you've already corrected that but the ties should all be at the same height between the to sets of rail. They are easy to cut with a razor saw or even a Dremel tool so they will mesh together. I'm not trying to be critical, just curious and helpful. I think you realize that?

Btw, that's an interesting looking yardmaster's tower and smaller than the old square Revelle one I have plus it has an interesting wall section that is extended out from the main building. Who offers that kit?

Thanks, David

Good evening fellow Rail Setters and Spike Drivers,

The other night I did a bit more testing of the upper curved switch before I place the new RH #5 switch on the back main line to the Right of it which will lead to the second mine. I was testing the inner radius to ensure things rolled through it fairly well and without derailments. It's a good thing I did as it was derailments I was getting alright on the inner radius just prior to the frog and just after it going back, especially from the Old Time Climax as it ran back toward the single track lead in. I couldn't believe it as I didn't try and do anything different such as make the radius tighter but followed the template. Again my solution turned out to be an additional guard rail on the inside of the outer stock rail which is the inner and tighter radius to the Left of the frog area leading to the single track main on the Left. I don't know why but I've never had this much problem before. Possibly because I'm crossing a joint in the Sound board base that seemed a bit uneven?? Anyway it seems to be corrected to where I could pull three cars, a shorty flat car loaded with rough cut 3 x 12 x 28' boards, two Old Time Tank cars and a Bobber caboose through it and back them through it too.

So now it seems I'm ready to get the connection U piece soldered under the points of the #5 and get a throw rod soldered to that and I can place that switch as well as get the track extended beyond that switch and then decide if I want to add a third switch on the inner leg of the curved switch or not?

I hope all have a good night.

Originally Posted by tootnkumin View Post Eric said:
Say Toot: This close call ought to make the hair stand up on your neck. A few days ago I had some fairly strong winds at my place. As I've mentioned before I been up and down on the roof prior placing/stuffing tarr paper patches under the old tarr paper and shakes, approximate 12x12 heavy weight Tarr Paper patches placed here and there on the roof as needed. Some are not so well held in place and with the wind I saw from the ground a couple that had blown loose and a third one that was lifted up. I placed the straight sided extention ladder against the picthed ridge roof at an angle so it set flat against the edge of the roof and facia. I could feel the wind resistance tending to push it slightly toward the lower back edge of the roof. The thought did cross my mind that it was rather risky to climb up on the roof only to possibly have the ladder blown down to where I'd have to jump about 7 ft to the ground. Something similar happened many years back when I was quite a bit younger so no real problem then but at 70 it might be a bit of a different story but fortunately my bones aren't brittle. Anyway I did climb up on the roof to check things over and had one piece of tarr paper blow about 25' farther away across the roof before it came to a stop on a portion of the roof that is at a Right angle to the section I climbed up on. The wind is still blowing and I look back at the ladder portion leaning against the roof edge only to see that it has moved a couple of feet toward the back. Oh sh*t, I hurried across the roof back to the ladder and had to reposition it so the feet again sat flat on the ground but managed to climb down without any actual mishap but that was a bit close!

Back