Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Good morning folks.

It's snowing here and that's just fine with me. I'm not a big fan of snow anymore but it beats having to look at dead grass and brown everywhere until April. I think that would be depressing as much as some white here and there.

I'm all set for the day. Ribs are marinating in an apple cider vinegar and rub mixture, chicken wings are ready to go on the grill(maybe oven today), the fridge is stocked with beer and I have nothing to do! Plan is to do a little cleaning, spend some time in the train room and then get ready for the game(day drinking;)). Funny thing is, I could care less who wins. It's hard to like either team. I just hope for a good game, good half time show, and good commercials. Something tells me I may be disappointed in a least one of those categories.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Good morning folks.

It's snowing here and that's just fine with me. I'm not a big fan of snow anymore but it beats having to look at dead grass and brown everywhere until April. I think that would be depressing as much as some white here and there.

I'm all set for the day. Ribs are marinating in an apple cider vinegar and rub mixture, chicken wings are ready to go on the grill(maybe oven today), the fridge is stocked with beer and I have nothing to do! Plan is to do a little cleaning, spend some time in the train room and then get ready for the game(day drinking;)). Funny thing is, I could care less who wins. It's hard to like either team. I just hope for a good game, good half time show, and good commercials. Something tells me I may be disappointed in a least one of those categories.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Rub is good stuff! You can get big arguments here in the South about rub vs. sauce though. I have a good friend who does both at the same time. To me, you are destroying it. Then again, he over-spices the hell out of everything.
Enjoy your day. I don't have TV anymore so I won't be seeing it but instead spending time in my train room. Already have several hours today + a few beers. Beer store don't open here for another 45 minutes so I'll get some more just to be sure I'm set.
E

I can't remember the last time I watched broadcast tv. Don't get me started about those "reality" shows, either! Yuck!
If I want to watch something entertaining, there is Netflix, Hulu, even Youtube.

Garry, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I like the video. No one can be a master of everything, and I'd rather have your modeling talents than good videography skills.

I love BBQ, no matter how it's cooked. I spent a weekend in Kansas City and had some form of BBQ for every meal. I love to try different region's versions of every different kind of meat. Each way has it's merits. If I had a smoker I would put next to nothing on the ribs but that unfortunately is not the case. I brush the apple cider vinegar on the ribs, sprinkle the rib rub over that, wrap them in tinfoil and throw in the refrigerator for four hours. Then I cook them in the oven for 2 hours at 225. At two hours I take them out of the foil, brush a little bbq sauce on them and finish it off on the grill. They are almost perfect to us.

I'm sure what I've just described has someone in the world screaming in protest!!:D

Oh, and our liquors stores are not allowed to be open on Sundays! Old blue law from eighty years ago!

"Reality" tv is as much reality, as a drug inflicted one and is the curse of today's television...that's all I'm gonna say, keeping my language politically correct....lol

I can't remember the last time I watched broadcast tv. Don't get me started about those "reality" shows, either! Yuck!
If I want to watch something entertaining, there is Netflix, Hulu, even Youtube.

Garry, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I like the video. No one can be a master of everything, and I'd rather have your modeling talents than good videography skills.
You tube has a lot of great old shows!

Yeah Terry. I'm with you brother! More UN-reality shows for shallow people with shallow minds.
All I watch is free stuff from Hulu or Crackle and I have to catch "Big Bang Theory" which CBS is kind enough to share.
Other than that, I have about 20 DVDs and about 50 VHS tapes.
During the weekdays, it's talk radio or classical music - or just silence.
To be a proper hermit you have to be able to be completely at ease alone and in silence. It drives a lot of people nuts. I prefer it.
I can go days without speaking to anyone except the cat - and he's not even my cat but sitting right here on the table next to me as I type. He likes the silence and non-drama environment as well.
E.

And if I need a serious re-dosing of "chronic hermitosis", I'll watch "Jeremiah Johnson".

I love BBQ, no matter how it's cooked. I spent a weekend in Kansas City and had some form of BBQ for every meal. I love to try different region's versions of every different kind of meat. Each way has it's merits. If I had a smoker I would put next to nothing on the ribs but that unfortunately is not the case. I brush the apple cider vinegar on the ribs, sprinkle the rib rub over that, wrap them in tinfoil and throw in the refrigerator for four hours. Then I cook them in the oven for 2 hours at 225. At two hours I take them out of the foil, brush a little bbq sauce on them and finish it off on the grill. They are almost perfect to us.

I'm sure what I've just described has someone in the world screaming in protest!!:D

Oh, and our liquors stores are not allowed to be open on Sundays! Old blue law from eighty years ago!

I'll bet you are using those nice 2" thick country style ribs instead of the slab ribs.
Boil them thick ones in water to render out some of the fat first. Then bake them in the oven like you do. They are just fine right then. Putting them on the grill would be the proverbial cherry on top.

Additionally, use charcoal or wood and not gas - that's dam sure to start a fight in the South.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corey, our liquor stores are owned and run by the state, and they are not open on Sundays.
We moved here from California, where you can buy a half gallon of vodka from any grocery store with a liquor department. 24/7/365. Talk about culture shock!

Talking about the super bowl, it's not very super this year because I don't like or respect either team. The Seahawks have too many players that don't respect their opponents and the Patriots have a cry baby quarterback. As for the Patriots cheating, every team does it. the Patriots just keep getting caught. I have never missed a super bowl and if I am lucky this will be a good game.

The old man who raised me, my Jack was only a neighbor, but no boy ever loved his father more then I love my Jack. I am told he would sit me on his lap and watch baseball and boxing only days after I came home from the hospital. We also watched football and basketball during those seasons. He taught me the games before I could read. He had the patience of a saint and answered all my questions when I was old enough to ask.

A good cut of meat is best salted and cooked to the perfect temperature, rare, anything else takes away from the flavor for me. Chicken, and turkey are different but I don't consider fowl to be real meat, they are vegetables in my world. Thanks to the luck of DNA my cholesterol is 97.

Maryland has repealed most of our blue laws, but liquor stores have to pay extra for the permit to sell on Sunday. Not that it matters much to me, a six pack could last me 2 years and a fifth of bourbon could be a lifetime supply. I had more then enough of both when I was young.

I am making chili, polish sausages and hotdogs for the game and I more then a months worth of snacks. I don't know why I have so much, I am diabetic and I can only eat a little, but it makes me happy to have more than enough!

Ok now I have to go refill my coffee

Well fellers. Another good day for me on the layout.
You may have seen my posts about the possible spur line/program section in another group. I went ahead and pulled up track and put it in. It's all wired up and my pseudo-control panel already modified. Probably didn't take much more than an hour and a half start-to-finish given a few interruptions.
I'm getting mighty good at this. Time to find me a club nearby! HO preferably so I can run my big dog DDA40x.
I gave the deck [naked plywood] a coat of white paint last night just make things easier to see. Plus it brightens up the room a little before I get into any scenery work.

You all may have also seen me post about possible major conversion to steel wheels and Kaydee couplers. I can't be having a mish-mash of stuff and junk wheels now can I. ;-)
I'm still not certain about the couplers. I wish someone was here to just tell me what to get and I'll get a big bag of them. Couplers especially. Wheels I can probably figure out.

Seems like I started quite the hubaloo about ballast the other day - as I did today with program track section hooked to the main track.
That's ok. I get a lot out of it like others do as well.
This is what it's all about in my book.

I'm thinking one of my yard lines needs to be gas depot for the engines.
What say yee?

Here's a pic of today's efforts.
That un-hooked turnout at the bottom with the spur is now all installed.
P2010001.JPG

Good morning everyone,

29 with cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore

Boris you have been busy! What are you going to pull that Penn Central boxcar with?

I have several Penn Central pieces of rolling stock and I have a Penn Central locomotive on my wish list. Preferably a GG1 or an Alco diesel, oh heck I take anyone!

Louis, I don't know what I'm going to use. There are several possibilities, I have several undecorated Athearn Blue Box F7 kits, that could become PC F7s, or I can repaint and re letter a couple of Proto GP9s, (former PRR Ph2), that need decoders and new axle gears. I think I even have the decals. Right now, they are moved with a PRR power.

The first year of the Penn Central there was a gradual transition, with patch outs and repaints, for all types of rolling stock, but many locos remained in PRR or NYC paint for quite a while. That's what I'm looking to replicate.

Good evening, from the land of the ice and snow.........at least today! It's horrible out there tonight!!!! And that is a MAJOR understatement. Some people made it in late to work, some just called off. The roads are snow packed, icy and extremely slick with deep drifts. Semis are jackknifed, cars are in the ditches and others are stuck in drifts on the roads. Wish they would have done us like they did in New England and just shut the roads down. Instead, they just shut the snow plows down at 4 o'clock this afternoon and they're not coming back out til 4 AM. I'll get off at 7 AM if things workout right.......hope the roads are at least plowed on one lane. I road into work with a buddy in his Jeep and we only went 25 MPH at the fastest. There's no way I would have made it in my two wheel drive Frontier.

Back