Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Good morning all, 24 degrees and clear this morning. What happened to all of the pictures. Guess I have to get the ball rolling.

attachment.php

If I may ask what is the translation for your Russian signature?

Literal translation is "Boris the Cynic" it ties in with the Avatar (Boris Badenov). I someties use Boris as a signature in e-mail exchanges with other retired Conrail managers, and the signature developed over time.

Hey Montanan, back then, kids gave up their seats for adults.

I did have one way to get a seat without upsetting adults. We always traveled first class with relatives working on the Milwaukee Road and when meal time came, we always ate during the first setting. By the time we were done, other passengers, many of them from the sky top lounge car would leave to have their meal and there was plenty of room. After meal time of course, they would move back to the lounge car, so them I would move to the sky dome observation car. I enjoyed watching the train move past signals and turn red as we passed them. Did that on both the Milwaukee Road and the North Coast Limited. Guess I was a pain in the a** kid.

Here is some Orange and Black for 113, I think too much orange, but hey it was 1971!
The Baltimore Orioles (4) 20 game winners from the 1971 season left to right Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson, Dave McNally and Jim Palmer
baltimoreorioles.jpg

Literal translation is "Boris the Cynic" it ties in with the Avatar (Boris Badenov). I someties use Boris as a signature in e-mail exchanges with other retired Conrail managers, and the signature developed over time.

I like that! Very cool indeed!

Now don't tell me your wife's name is Natasha?

Thanks for sharing that with me. Also I should thank you for being one of those responsible for the success of Conrail, thank you!

I like that! Very cool indeed!

Now don't tell me your wife's name is Natasha?

Thanks for sharing that with me. Also I should thank you for being one of those responsible for the success of Conrail, thank you!

Nyet! My wife is not named Natasha, but we once had a Russian Blue cat we named Natasha. :cool:

Good afternoon.

Burlington's Denver Zephyr was considered the flagship of the railroad. It was a very popular train for many years. It was a daily overnight train between Chicago and Denver. Its schedule for the 1,000 mile trip was 14 hours, and that included several stops at stations along the way. E-units were the normal power. Below is an 18-car DZ with 4 E-units in the summer in the 1950's.

DZ%20summer_zpsptl34p0i.jpg

The Burlington Northern merger was March 2, 1970. BN continued operating the DZ until Amtrak was created on May 1, 1971.

Winters could be very challenging to the DZ because heavy snow with drifting could affect tracks on the DZ's route. CB&Q had a large rotary snow plow stationed in Lincoln, Nebraska, and it had smaller plows located along the route.

A major blizzard in 1971 was one of the greatest challenges to operations of the Denver Zephyr. An SD7 and a GP9 were added to the normal E-units to help the train power its way through the heavy snow. Even with plows working ahead of the train, it was 12 hours late stopping in Lincoln. The schedule was to arrive in Lincoln at midnight CST, 7 hours after departing from Denver. The train arrived in Lincoln at noon. Crews at the station thawed out the steam pipes for heating the train before it continued its eastbound trip. It took another 12 hours to get to Chicago.

The schedule 14-hour trip from Denver to Chicago took 29 hours.

Below is a photo of the train in Lincoln.

DZ%20storm%20_zpsdlpsoiqq.jpg

When the railroad companies operated trains before Amtrak, they did all they could to operate regardless of weather. Today's Amtrak wimps out for bad weather and cancels trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did have one way to get a seat without upsetting adults. We always traveled first class with relatives working on the Milwaukee Road and when meal time came, we always ate during the first setting. By the time we were done, other passengers, many of them from the sky top lounge car would leave to have their meal and there was plenty of room. After meal time of course, they would move back to the lounge car, so them I would move to the sky dome observation car. I enjoyed watching the train move past signals and turn red as we passed them. Did that on both the Milwaukee Road and the North Coast Limited. Guess I was a pain in the a** kid.

No, you were just ahead of your time.

Nice pictures Garry. Can't fool mother nature. Toot, just thinking on my feet. Time to head home leaving a parting picture.

attachment.php

Good evening folks.

It's back to winter for us, here in the upper Midwest. Cold and windy!

I'm still working on the brewery kit. Now I have to decide how much to weather it. It's not quite ready for that step yet but it's coming. I'm sure I'll make it look nice and crappy. As my wife said regarding weathering, "the crappier the better!" That a girl!

Have a good night everyone.

Evening All,

Today I built a LL Coaling Tower. It was easy to make and it was nice not building a kit with warping and confusing directions for a change, and at $8.50 it was priced right! The problems started when I went to paint it with rattle can flat brown. After about 3 sprays the can clogged and nothing I did would unclog it, so I ended up putting 3 coats of hand painted brown acrylic on the tower. It needed 3 coats to cover the red colored wood! Tomorrow I plan on weathering it and putting it on the layout.

Terry- Sorry I did not take progress photos. Another option for wood decking is the thin wood coffee stir sticks. They can be cut length wise and to the right width. This also gives different wood colors also.

Corey- Sounds like your wife has the right idea about weathering.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Another option for wood decking is the thin wood coffee stir sticks. They can be cut length wise and to the right width. This also gives different wood colors also.

I hope everyone has a good night.
You can also get the larger wooden matches, cut the ends off, and trim them in half length-wise to make decking.

Hello!!!! Anybody here??:confused:

Nobody since 9:30 last night?:confused:

Bill T?,,,,,,,,Flo,,,,,,,Louis,,,,,where did everybody go?????

Anyhow, TGIF!!!:cool:

Back