Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Looks like they could use some wheel and track cleaning. Impressive. They must have borrowed some cars from Ken and the D&J.

Looks like Earthquake damage.

Carey .... Good to see you posting. I hope your are doing well now.

Here is a photo from the Nashville flood a few years ago.

trackinLebanon.jpg

Good morning, it is 21 degrees and cloudy.

As far as the iron range goes, it is still a driving force in Northern Minnesota. In fact, many trainloads of taconite travel through my city each week. There is a working ore dock in Duluth, about 15 miles away. CN is the rail owner.

There are several iron mines and they did good business last year. The demand is very up and down.

113--thanks for bringing it to the forefront

Time to head home. 56 degrees right now and sunny.

Here ya go 113. After the dining car, and the dome cars, I really enjoyed riding back here. I did get some dirty looks from adults as they looked like they wanted the seat I was in. Back the you traveled in your Sunday go to meeting clothes and sometimes actually wore a tie. Not like todays travelers you see at airports.

attachment.php

Nice pic Montanan! One of the 'Rapids', I take it?
True indeed, train travel isn't what it used to be....in more than one way..
Nobody travel in their Sunday best today...

Evening, all! 28f and clouds.
LASM, the snowmobile trails here are closed. No snow. I still have 8-10" in the yard, but the trails are shot.
Some very cool photos and videos being posted. I really enjoyed the Iron Range one and the NP SD's. More please!
Curt, the "place across the street" seems more upbeat. Stop over. Some MIA's are back.
That's all for now.
004_zps2ab0735c.jpg

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Evening All,

We had our daughter and kids (SIL works late) for homemade baked potato soup for supper then had cut up fruit for dessert. A very excellent meal. Our eldest grandson is in trouble with his Mom because he has decided he will do homework when he feels like it. Obviously not the right answer.

Today I took the plastic "wood" deck of a Bachmann flat car I have and put a wood deck on it made from left over wood detail parts. I dry brushed Raw Umber on it and weathered the rest of the car, and I also put KD's on it. It already had metal wheels.

Terry- I will do some lurking and see if I want to participate. Thanks for thinking of me.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening, all! 28f and clouds.
LASM, the snowmobile trails here are closed. No snow. I still have 8-10" in the yard, but the trails are shot.
Some very cool photos and videos being posted. I really enjoyed the Iron Range one and the NP SD's. More please!
Curt, the "place across the street" seems more upbeat. Stop over. Some MIA's are back.
That's all for now.

That's a great pic Terry!! Excellent scenery work!!

Curt, didja take progress photos? That's something I'd like to try.
Thank you, Big E!!
Milw113, finished watching the SP video, very interesting what was state of the art back then!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Milw113, finished watching the SP video, very interesting what was state of the art back then!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

I watched it as well. Very cool!
When I saw they guys laying track by hand I wondered about "Gandy Dancers".
Anyone here know about them?
I saw a documentary once about them. That would be a good to have in the library.
Anyone who has been in the military can tell about how a cadence can take your mind off the pain that the body may be feeling. Especially when there is a whole team involved.

I wonder has anyone tried [or done] to model the Bradley rail yard in North Platte? Nebraska or Kansas - I always forget which.

That would make for one hell of a control panel and some super cool ops. I'd like to see that in action.
E.

I think I shot myself in the foot by alerting others (not on here) with my research into a certain type of railcar model that is as close as we're likely to get to a prototype, that while they might have been aware of the similarity, weren't all that obviously aware and caused them to also go looking.:(

Anyone who has been in the military can tell about how a cadence can take your mind off the pain that the body may be feeling. ...

Thinking about my paycheck and being able to feed my family worked for me!

Gandy dancer is a slang term used for early railroad workers who laid and maintained railroad tracks in the years before the work was done by machines. Copied and pasted from this article in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandy_dancer

Wikipedia is a great resource but no always 100% reliable, but I have yet to find any major discrepancies.

Good morning everybody!

26 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Today I get to put on my accountants hat and begin tax season for my kids, thank God for turbo tax and good record keeping!

Have a great day everybody!

Good Morning: 8° on my front porch, 10 at KBLM at sunrise. It's supposed to go above freezing today.

Louis, I'm still waiting for 1099s to arrive. Hard to believe, but not everything is available for download yet.

You would think more then 20 years after the proliferation of the internet and personal computers everything would be online, but some resist change and some are to cheap to change.

If I may ask what is the translation for your Russian signature?

Back