Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

I assume in the second picture the poles were put up after the tracks were abandoned. The first picture is baffling to me, what could do that? Looks like General Sherman and his boys had been there.
A clue would be the standing water at the upper right in the photo. A flood could have done that, though you can never be sure with the Russians.

Looks to me as though the track in the first picture was deliberately damaged. Both rails are identically deformed suggesting that the tie was hit/moved with the rails attached.

A clue would be the standing water at the upper right in the photo. A flood could have done that, though you can never be sure with the Russians.

Oh! I thought the one on the left was a railroad version of a parking lot speed bump.

That one I thought was part of an engineer's instruction course. You know, "How to swerve a train to avoid vehicles on grade crossings".

Lasm's I thought would be a Russian train wash.

Good evening here at the Dinner, Hi Flo & Francine, how are you ladies tonight?

*Good news about MTH FA-1's & FB-1's. Close-out's and lower prices, on these beautiful units. See below.

Last night I got a bit of rain, I didn't check but probably less than .025. Today was cloudy but the Sun was out for awhile and now it's cloudy again with more chance of a bit of rain. It's now 53.2 °F - Feels Like 53.2 °F, the Humidity is 86% going to 100% by 11:00 Pm. Winds are at 2.7 from the ESE. The High today was 63 °F with the Low dropping down to 40 °F.

I started to write this earlier but decided I needed to visit the HoBo barber shop so I got the electric clippers and a miror to hang on the tree out front and clipped all the long hair on the back of my neck as well as around my ears. I feel much better, not sure how I look but the little folks sont seem to mind.

Then I decided I need to make a new work shelf that fits across two draws of my old desk without the gap I now have there and things are forever falling off between the two. So I moved the saw horses I had out back so I could place the partial piece of 7/16" OSB on and them and measured a piece 32" by 12" and clamped down an edge guide and cut of a 12" wide section and then trimmed it to length. Now I'm going to cut some edging to go around it and I'm thinking that on the two short ends and the one long back edge I need to make about 1.5 inch high type of edge fence to keep things from finding their way off this new work area. It's really odd how parts seem to grow legs and off they go, at least for me.

On the RR scene I have the sub roadbed for the upper line ready to connect to a 5' long section behind and above the town of Five Oaks which will have a second passing siding on it.

>*Per the above note: I now have available for a limited time, 'lowered prices on beautiful FA-1's-FB-1's!!! Both units are powered. Your Choice DCC Ready or with Proto-Sound 3.0. Some items in very limited quantities. If your at all interested, act now.

Looks to me as though the track in the first picture was deliberately damaged. Both rails are identically deformed suggesting that the tie was hit/moved with the rails attached.

I copied the picture into my photo editing program where I could adjust the brightness, contrast and sharpness for a better view. It does seem to be a very odd type of thing to happen.

While water can have a tremendous force to it, there doesn't seem to be any evidence at the site of the violent bends suggesting a massive surge went across the tracks as the gravel on the Right and Left of the rails looks untouched and fairly level with the other road bed either prior to the damage point or after it, whereas the area under the violent bending did have a depression or dug out area! Also those are cement ties and the rail is fastened to the ties with fairly heavy plates and bolts yet in the area of the violent bending << for about at least six ties which are gone and nowhere to be seen suggesting a tremendous force was required to push or pull against the rail as well as a downward type of blast such as possibly an explosion from a missil or it could have been caused by something like a Glacieral Ice movement or an earthquake that caused the rails to be compressed from either side and deformed at that point. Both rails are not exactly deformed identicaly in their bend but very close.

The other interesting thing is that the rail doesn't appear to be stretched yet for the two << to form it would most certainly would have to pull the rails both from the Right as well as the Left of the << point to allow the rails to be deformed that way. It's quite a mystery indeed and will be very interesting to find out what caused it?!

OK, here's a couple of track pictures for you.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Looks like Earthquake damage.

Hey CJ!

Great to see you in the coffee shop!!!

We have a super star in the house!

113 How do you find these cool videos? Thank you for posting them!

Good morning everybody!

24 with clear skies, bright shinning stars and glowing moon in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everybody!

Sure is quiet out here this morning. 38 degrees and cloudy this morning. Here a picture I came across that is a bit out of my modeling era, but I do recognize the location where the picture was taken, right alongside Interstate 90 at Garrison Junction, MT. I did travel through here with relatives working for the Northern Pacific and it is always interesting to look at when traveling on the interstate as you pass by.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one for you later 113. Post it when I leave work. It brings back a lot of memories for me and I'm sure you'll recognize immediately what it is.

Back