Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Good morning. It's raining and 40. Supposed to get down to 29 tonight and tomorrow night.
I have a truly twisted sense of humor.... Demonstrated by the fact that one of the reasons I like coming here is I am not the oldest person in the room...
:)

Very good breakfast today. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuit\gravy, skim milk, orange juice. Nothing happening today, so far.

good morning, anybody got any firewood??? Its a breezy
64* damn only getting up to 70* that just aint right
Hey blackz I enjoy your humor but if you have any firewood you could send my way I would appreciate it. It's 21 here right now with a forecast high in the low 40's

Out here it wasn't too bad this morning, 39 degrees, but they are talking about a winter storm watch for this evening and tomorrow.

I'll be heading to Butte today to take a look at new cars. The local dealers think they are the only game around. Leaving the area can save you thousands of $$$.

Out here it wasn't too bad this morning, 39 degrees, but they are talking about a winter storm watch for this evening and tomorrow.

I'll be heading to Butte today to take a look at new cars. The local dealers think they are the only game around. Leaving the area can save you thousands of $$$.
Get a quote from the not-local dealers, then go back to your local dealers with it in hand, and see if they can match it. It is good to be "local" when you have a problem with the car. Personal experience is if you didn't buy the car from them, it gets "backburnered" for warranty issues.

I have a couple of different vehicles that I want to look at, but only one of them have a local dealership. I am trying to find something without a "touch screen" which I really have no use for. I can get a Ford Fusion without it and the other is a Kia Optima, but there is no local dealership here. I can hopefully work with the Ford dealer as they do have something in stock that very closely matches what I want. I have driven a couple of vehicles with the touch screen frature and don't like them at all. A good friend just got a new Impala and his wife doesn't like it and he hates it. The same goes for another friend with a new Ford Explorer. Give me buttons and switches, thank you very much. Just something else to go on the fritz. Subaru's I was interested in, but there was no model available without the touch screen and they only offer a CVT transmission which I can't stand. I just can't see paying for features I don't want. If I am paying what manufacturers want, I want the car as close as possible to the way I want it, not the way the manufacturers THINK I want it.

Lazy day today....

DSC_1316_zpsiyaup2of.jpg

DSC_1319_zpsggm4xs0e.jpg

DSC_1320_zpst401rvrx.jpg

DSC_1321_zpsiavz4p5q.jpg

Talking about the M10000's.....great book this! Blomberg, of Blomberg truck (....and of Swedish heritage) fame, was involved in the M10000 and he and a couple of others had it patented...

IMG_20141021_193621_zpsgzhyp7xr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"New systems generate new problems." And Murphy will nit-pick every one.
Good luck finding what will please you.

Phil

Milwaukee 113- Nice pictures but NOT the engine I was thinking of. Short boxy electric used in N.Y. ,early 1900's. Had single headlight mounted highy on cab. I think it was double ended,can't remember for sure. My model was made with "Zemack[sp?].

Phil

gotta get the laundry. back later

Last edited by a moderator:
Milwaukee 113- Nice pictures but NOT the engine I was thinking of. Short boxy electric used in N.Y. ,early 1900's. Had single headlight mounted highy on cab. I think it was double ended,can't remember for sure. My model was made with "Zemack[sp?].

Phil

gotta get the laundry. back later

Aaah.....ma bad! lol

I have a couple of different vehicles that I want to look at, but only one of them have a local dealership. I am trying to find something without a "touch screen" which I really have no use for. I can get a Ford Fusion without it and the other is a Kia Optima, but there is no local dealership here. I can hopefully work with the Ford dealer as they do have something in stock that very closely matches what I want. I have driven a couple of vehicles with the touch screen frature and don't like them at all. A good friend just got a new Impala and his wife doesn't like it and he hates it. The same goes for another friend with a new Ford Explorer. Give me buttons and switches, thank you very much. Just something else to go on the fritz. Subaru's I was interested in, but there was no model available without the touch screen and they only offer a CVT transmission which I can't stand. I just can't see paying for features I don't want. If I am paying what manufacturers want, I want the car as close as possible to the way I want it, not the way the manufacturers THINK I want it.
Our new Impala does NOT have a touch screen. It also does not have climate control or heated seats, but does have all other options.

Our new Impala does NOT have a touch screen. It also does not have climate control or heated seats, but does have all other options.

I had loked at an Impala, but in order to get a few options that I did want, simple things such as heated mirrors, I would have to had stepped up to the next higher model and that one had a touch screen. If I am paying that much for a cat, I want it the way I want it. I also have no use for On-Star. I don't like it when manufacturers shove features down my throat and expect me to pay for items I don't want. I currently drive a Buick LeSabre, (2005) which has (had) On-star. I originally didn't want to buy the car because of the On-Star but the deal that was offered was too good to pass up. 2005 was the last year for the LeSabre as the moved on to the LaCrosse and with a price reduction of over $8,000, I did get it. I didn't want On-Star, never needed it and did try to use it out of curiosity in very rural areas of Montana and it turned out that On-Star was useless and didn't work due to lack of cell service. Don't expect me to pay for things I don't want.

I just can't see paying for features I don't want. If I am paying what manufacturers want, I want the car as close as possible to the way I want it, not the way the manufacturers THINK I want it.

Its not so much what car manufacturers want,,its what they can build cheapest. Its far cheaper to build a car in 3 or 4 different package levels, than to let the buyer cherry pick options. The Japs figured this out years ago, took Detroit years to "dummy up". The car manufacturers assemble "focus groups" of potential buyers to see what will sell, then go from there. Sometimes I wonder where they get these folks.

Terry. about your comment. Yes its true, car repairs will be backburnered, COD or Warranty depending on where it is purchased. It was true 35 years age when I was a young apprentice tech, and still true as I grew into management and still today. If there are 2 cars to be worked on, one a "visiting owner" car and 1 that was sold at our dealership, The visiting car goes on the back burner. Each dealership I have ever worked in had the same philosophy. We take care of our own 1st, then anybody else. The rare exception is a customer who purchased their car several years ago elsewhere, but does all the service business here.

I well understand that it is cheaper to build cars with their "packages" but I personally don't like it. I can remember years ago when I ordered a car and had a lit of options to chose from. If you didn't check the box, you didn't get it. You could really personalize your car right off of the showroom back then. I would prefer to get something locally. In fact a good friend of ours is the sales manager at the Ford dealership. I am hoping that a written offer from another dealer can get the price match. I like the Kia too, but there is no local dealer. They're made in the US, not Mexico like the Ford. We are really limited to what we can get here as many brands are not available for hundreds of miles from here.

I remember my 2002 Silverado came stock with many items I didn't want or need. Things like cruise control, power windows, etc, were things that would break and cost money to fix. I got one without, and it had an option for that... "Amenity Delete", and cost nearly as much as a truck with all that stuff. It was a one-time fee, and I never had to pay to fix a broken power door lock or non-working power window motor--it couldn't break, because it wasn't there to break.
Kind of like the standard cab locomotives, for a while available as an extra cost option, then phased out completely.

69, a very good year....the year I was born! :cool:
Pretty much everything is good looking up to 70-71, after that, it all went downhill! ;):D

Back