Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now mirroring trackage from Thurmond, WV which wasn't a yard to an extent they had any real yard trackage as it was primarily an engine service facility. I want to add a C&O element to this layout. So this is what I have come up with. It doesn't eat up too much space and leaves me space to work a town in without having to get buildings to just fit however I can. Tell me what you think.
46bbd62047b03d96d8b8f1abb90f5d7d.jpg

Justin

GREETINGS fellow track layers!
61 degrees going to a nice 81* later on. Sky is blue, humidity is 36%, and wind is ENE at "O".
(Don't understand if the wind is ZERO - how do you get a direction?)

Ken in VA -- Thanks for the clarification on the models! I don't understand the 2' wide one, but maybe you will show us a pic later on with them arranged? Moving right along - you do some nice work - for sure.

I remember those cold basements from when I lived back in K.C. and N.J.! At least I had a layout then. I now live in the largest home that I have ever had, but the Chief Cook is "one tough hombre to deal with".
We have a large family room, a large dining room with a sitting area on one end, a sitting room next to the entrance, and a pretty large "game room" at the top of the stairs. Anywhere I try and visualize a layout is visible to anyone who walks in the door - unless I wall off something. The other thing is that all of the windows just about cover all of the wall space and if I did not build across a window ... then the benchwork would have to be around 30" high. I had a very nice 4th bedroom downstairs 11x11 which was "supposed" to be my office, and layout room, but when "she" decided to open her saloon - guess where she wanted to put it? You got it! I keep telling SWMBO that should I outlive her that I am going to have the largest home layout in Southern CA. After that, I just have sort of given up. I guess I could have a shelf type layout, but I need to have a way to have a loop. Sometimes I just like to watch a train run! Never understood why CA homes do not have basements?

I'm still looking and planning!

I'm on my 4th or 5th track pattern and now that I know what I can and more importantly CANNOT do, I'm really planning this one out. Terrain changes, elevation, SCENERY! (oh yes!) An actual layout and not just a bunch of track. I been shingle pain free for almost a week...fingers crossed that it's over for good. I can get back to walking and putzing with the layout, saving pennies for a new scooter.

Hope everybody has a good weekend!

Hello All...Thanks Jesse...And Justin nice to see track going down...

Willie...Nervous ???...Nah...Extreme Paranoia would be a better description :)...And you can darn sure well bet there will be a
barrier in the form of 'Back Ground'...Of course that puts the back ground at point blank range but that's another concession I
have to make for the amount of track I have crammed on a 4 x 8 layout...It Is What It Is...A Big Toy Train...And you're quite right
on the care needed in laying the track...I am kafutz'in around with it to the Nth degree with much testing yet to be done...

I do have time on my side though and I've even learned a little patience with age...It doesn't got'a get done today !!!...:D...Trig

Afternoon All,

In the high 50's today. I ran a small train for about an hour while I dabbed paint on the glue spots around yesterdays signage installation. Tomorrow is my class so I probably won't be back until Monday.

Jesse- Thank you.

Sherrel- My vote is for the game room. My layout is in the loft (same difference). Of course I'm not sure what size your room is.

Trig- It looks like a nice steady incline, nice job. I would test it with your largest locomotive though to make sure there isn't any unseen dips or bulges. I speak from experience...don't ask.

Garry- Thank you.

Joe- Thank you. I have 4.5 inch aluminum castings that I got from a foundry about 6 years ago that I painted. I looked for the company last night but couldn't find it.

20180112_190648.jpg

20180112_190701.jpg

VA Ken- Very nice job on the box and the rolling base.

Toot- That sounds as bad as Washington DC.

CA Dave- Thank you.

Willie- Thank you.

Justin- It's a great start. I totally understand about trying to be true to your particular prototype. Will the mine operation be on the other side of the layout?

I hope everyone has a good night.

NEW GUY ... A.K.A Bruce!

So glad to hear the health report! I detect an improvement in the mindset as well. Congratulations - hope you continue to improve. TEN-sun! CHIN-up! 1-2-3-4!

Thanks Curt...And I did change my mind from yesterday when I'd decided not to 'Power Test' the incline section...
I cobbled together and clamped a temporary barrier on the side and ran a fairly heavy Loco back & forth several
times...Very Carefully !!!...LOL...An odd choice as well...It's a pretty rare 3071 French Locomotive...And beautiful...

It is in fact my avatar...Here's the full image...And the little test went quite well :D...Trig

3107.JPG

Trigster: (defined as a carbon based life form with huge cajones)!

Bully for you! That is a very fine looking locomotive - even if it is French! Merci beacoup.
Like the progress U are making.

Ken in VA -- Thanks for the clarification on the models! I don't understand the 2' wide one, but maybe you will show us a pic later on with them arranged? Moving right along - you do some nice work - for sure.

NMRA module standards are 4' long X 2' deep. When I originally built the first three modules back in 95 I think it was, I made them to go from 2' deep to 3' deep. That provided depth to curve the mainline away from the front of the module. I included a short 1' module so the set would measure the full 16' multiple of 4'. The reason for the 5' long sets was for transportation in the back of my Ford Ranger. Four modules would stack them to high and I wouldn't be able to drive in and out of the garage with the transport box. Now that I have a taller garage door opening, I can stack them four tall.

Spent the day rebuilding some shelves in the garage to make room for the motorcycle loading system and the module transport box and table. I have the shelves rebuilt now and will work on the storage configuration for the motorcycle loading system. It will be standing up on end using a pulley systems to stand it up. The whole system weighs about 300libs. A bit more than I would like to try to stabilize with one hand while attaching straps to keep it in place. The module box and table will go in front of the motorcycle loading system. The shelves in the picture used to extend into the corner. I cut them back so the transport box will fit into that opening with about an inch to spare. The tubs on the top shelf contain motorcycle parts and tarps. Some of the stuff I pulled off the lower shelves will go into the kitchen pantry.

0113181753.jpg

Technical info needed: Was reading through a 1964 MR that has an extensive article on Kadee couplers.

My question is: They keep talking about MK and MKD - - with both the same number.
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two?

Well fellers. This is what I came up with. My rendition of the Virginian layout. I ended up with a yard I didn't really want nor plan for. Sooooo.....I don't know if this will stick.
942bb95e4d79fc84870b3d5499f6125e.jpg
b781ff8e511465f7bce194975713b63d.jpg

Justin

Trigster: (defined as a carbon based life form with huge cajones)!

Bully for you! That is a very fine looking locomotive - even if it is French! Merci beacoup.
Like the progress U are making.

Hello Sherrel...LOL...I'm still scratch'in my head why I used it other than It was out and functioning well from when I was
testing a few Loco's a couple of days ago...Could'a just walked to the back room and grabbed another one...That Jewel is on
the rare side and they almost never come up for sale...Of those that do you'd be hard pressed to ever see one in that was in
as good condition as mine...Oh Well :D...No Harm No Foul !!!...In the past I never ran that Loco much for fear of damaging it
in some way...Those times have changed...Now it's just another part of the Blue Rock Railroad fleet...But With Care...Trig :)

Justin...WOW...That's Great...You got an amazing amount done in a very short time !!!...Woo-Hoo !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm burned out....I'm calling it a night. Didn't run any trains. I didn't set up for that. I really wanted to kinda get an idea of what I could do. I'll be working another plan tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to run some trains.

Justin

I'm burned out....I'm calling it a night. Didn't run any trains. I didn't set up for that. I really wanted to kinda get an idea of what I could do. I'll be working another plan tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to run some trains.

Justin

Don't. worry about it. I went almost 30 years without a layout and just flew by the seat of my pants.

Justin - layout looks great. Good luck on the fine tuning.

BigE - great movie. Probably Bill Murray's finest performance, considering he supposed to have 5 minutes of screen time and had no script. All ad-libbing. Classic.

To all that have been keeping up, I found the source of my coolant leak on my car today. Yep. Blown head gasket. Now I gotta have the head checked and shell out another $200-$250 in parts. Plus whatever it's going to cost for the head work. Luckily, there is a silver lining. I found a few other issues that would have been big problems soon, so I can take care of those and hopefully be good for another 100k miles.

Good night to all and happy railroading.

Hopefully tomorrow I can squeeze in some time with some structure design and post my updated plan.

Jesse

Justin

Justin: I don't see anything wrong with what you assembled. Since it's not set in stone, yet, no big deal if you change it. I would suggest, connecting that long inner lead to the main, to give yourself a runaround. The plan has all sorts of possibilities.

I found the source of my coolant leak on my car today. Yep. Blown head gasket. Now I gotta have the head checked and shell out another $200-$250 in parts. Plus whatever it's going to cost for the head work. Luckily, there is a silver lining. I found a few other issues that would have been big problems soon, so I can take care of those and hopefully be good for another 100k miles.

Jesse: Why that sucks...Hopefully the head is OK. $250 in parts, even $500, plus your time is cheap, compared to monthly payments. Good luck with the repairs. Always happens at the wrong time, been there myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back