Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUSTIN-- Where does that elevated track supposed to go?
Lol if you enlarge the picture you'll see I set up for a passing siding. That upper level was leveled out so I threw two turnouts in there. It was an effort to add for expansion later. I was going to add another loadout to switch up there. Would have gave me two to switch. I feel that one really ate up realistate that I could do better. Only switching two spots will get boring eventually. But....who knows?

Justin

Evening track gang,
Hi Francine, Flo, Just some coffee and some apple cobbler if you have some left? Great.

48°F Wells rd Station Report
9:37 PM PST on January 13, 2018 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 45°F
48°F -Feels like 47°F, Mostly Cloudy;
Wind is at .5 from the ENE;
Humidity is at 72%%
Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Warmer than today.

Technical info needed: Was reading through a 1964 MR that has an extensive article on Kadee couplers.

My question is: They keep talking about MK and MKD - - with both the same number.
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two?

Sherrel: Per Kadee's site: When the Kadee® Company was formed it was with the idea of providing "the best of what was most needed" ...a reliable, realistic, automatic coupler. It was no coincidence that the name Kadee® became synonymous with the finest automatic couplers! Since 1947 Kadee® has remained a leader within the hobby, always improving the quality of our products. The earliest version, the "K" series knuckle coupler was the first to combine a realistic looking coupler with a "non-lockout" feature; thus the coupler was never "locked" in a closed position, but was designed to allow another coupler to mate with it at all times. A major achievement! Simply nudge cars together and the cars are coupled.Although a big stride forward, the "K" still required physical contact with an uncoupling device, between the rails, to uncouple. This was quite conventional for its day but not the most satisfactory arrangement. The next logical step was to eliminate the physical contact with uncoupling ramps.The introduction of Magne-Matic® Uncoupling by Kadee® was a major breakthrough utilizing magnetic force to activate the coupler. With our "MK" series, the letter "M" was added to indicate a "K" style coupler operated magnetically. Hard on the heels of this important breakthrough, Kadee® introduced modifications providing Delayed Magnetic Uncoupling®. Now it was possible to spot cars at any desired location on any track beyond a magnetic uncoupler.

Well fellers. This is what I came up with. My rendition of the Virginian layout. I ended up with a yard I didn't really want nor plan for. Sooooo.....I don't know if this will stick.
942bb95e4d79fc84870b3d5499f6125e.jpg
b781ff8e511465f7bce194975713b63d.jpg

Justin

Lol if you enlarge the picture you'll see I set up for a passing siding. That upper level was leveled out so I threw two turnouts in there. It was an effort to add for expansion later. I was going to add another loadout to switch up there. Would have gave me two to switch. I feel that one really ate up realistate that I could do better. Only switching two spots will get boring eventually. But....who knows?

Justin

Justin Your track plan looks interesting, although as Joe WJLI26 pointed out, it would be good to tie the inner mainline to the outer to give yourself a longer passing siding.

On your elevated track it would be good to add a second switch onto the far end switch and complete that passing siding as well as having the elevated coal bins to deliver to. If having the track and passing siding elevated seem un-prototypical, my Engineer and modeler friend, Mark R. who worked for the Southern Pacific RR at the time said, 'If you can dream it up, you'll find it on the Railroad some place'! Joe might confirm that too?

Hope everyone has a good night.

That elevated track is one to be careful of, 'cause if you're often on it, you could be often off it and if you're often off it, it might be be hard to stay often on it, often.

Good morning. It's clear and 15.

Justin, something to look into for your elevated section is Woodland Scenics risers and ramps. They are inexpensive, and will give you a stable, firm base for the track.

Good morning. Flo, coffee and a pancake breakfast please. Extra bacon and scrambled eggs.

Currently 23, feels like 17. High of 36 and sunny today.

Since I won't be able to complete the vehicle repairs again, looks like today will involve a little shopping and relaxing in preparation for another work week. Good day all. Will check back in for the lunch special later.

Jesse

This just in:
It seems a major earthquake in Chili caused an airliner to do a swan dive off a seaside cliff in Turkey.

I think I need to keep this simple.....plan #1 was a decent setup but.....it's a super spaghetti bowl that doesn't lend itself to scenery. Only two loadouts? The more I think of it the more I think it'll get boring. I had one loadout on my last layout. It was ok but it kinda did get boring. Switch the yard for no good reason. I'm looking for simple yet gives me stuff to do.

Justin

I think I need to keep this simple.....plan #1 was a decent setup but.....it's a super spaghetti bowl that doesn't lend itself to scenery. Only two loadouts? The more I think of it the more I think it'll get boring. I had one loadout on my last layout. It was ok but it kinda did get boring. Switch the yard for no good reason. I'm looking for simple yet gives me stuff to do.

Justin

Justin, it's all about you enjoying it not us.

Good Morning Gang. 27° and clear in this part of the world this morning. Mid 50's today and tomorrow, then down the roller coaster Monday night into the teens for a few days. I finally sent the newest "granddog" back home yesterday. He has been a royal pain, I previously posted about him getting sick in the car and being a "farter". He also snores and whines incessantly. He chases our five cats and ends up getting under the house and rattles some of the plumbing and gets muddy! He's still a sweet dog, but we have been dog-free for almost ten years now after our 18 yo dog died, that we just aren't up to his activity level. Our other two granddogs never showed any desire to follow the cats once they went into the "basement". Both visited but never went back.
I did get some time out in the train shed yesterday, ran trains mostly since they have been idle for a few days. Did some more organizing of stuff, and retook some photos of rolling stock for my inventory database. Speaking of that database, I am up to date with maintenance and cleaning records and only have 24 new pieces of rolling stock to enter with their pictures and inspection records. Since this is an inventory and switching program, the next step will be entering all of my upper level industries and their associated data, and maybe soon being able to activate the switching program. Right now I just run trains randomly, but I would like to see how the switching program works. The inventory side is also useful in case there is an insurance need.

Eric -
Too cold for a walk to the beer store!!
Man, that's a drag. But if you can go, it won't get warm on the way home.
Justin - Track laying is one of the aspects of model railroading that I enjoy the most. It is beat out only by structure building and running trains. I have over 1200' of track (with more to come), so I must enjoy it!!!
On to one of your later posts...I like the "Virginian" based layout there. Is it intended that the inner loop might be completed? I echo Joe's suggestion that you tie it into the mainline over near the yard/engine facility. There is also lots of room to add an industry spur or two to what you have pictured. Tough choice, spaghetti or scenery, you might be able to have both by dividing the layout and having one on one of the sides...I like switching more than scenery, in part because I hate making trees.
Sherrel -
Anywhere I try and visualize a layout is visible to anyone who walks in the door
And what's wrong with that? Hey, we don't have basements here in Texas either, which is why I built the train shed out back. I'd rather walk to it horizontally than to have to climb up and down stairs anyway!
Bruce - Good news on the pain-free week. Looking forward to your latest build.
Curt - Those sure are nice Pennsy Keystone castings that you have there.
Ken (D&J) - I haven't commented yet on your modules or transport box, but you do fine work there.
Trig - Your thought on the backdrop/background on the end is just what is needed for the sake of piece of mind. Congratulations on the successful run.
Jesse - Sounds like you have picked up Terry's unlucky streak. Long story(s) that go back a few years.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Another beautiful day here today! Temp reached 82 yesterday, gave me a chance to get some much needed yard work done. Expected 80 high today will allow me to mostly finish up what I started yesterday.

Have to make time to bring in the 17 boxes of Christmas again and take the tree boxes back to the garage until next year - or later on this year as the world turns.

Justin! Add a ONE Foot extension to one side of that sacred sheet and it will open so many more possibilities to you!

Willie - Nothing in my mind to avoid seeing a layout - if it were a finished one! However, it is the un-finished version that the Spousal Unit is against plus "it would ruin the decor" in her mind. I, on the other hand, would think that it would be a great conversation piece!

I've got tape and coffee in hand - going upstairs to measure out the game room and see if I can find an area.

Good Morning gang!

Flo, need something hot the will stick to my ribs. S.O.S. ya say? Sure, over toast please!
12° out there this morning, old man winter is back. Friday when I got off from work it was 60° and drizzle. I washed the car and the truck, put them in the garage and dried them off. Now I have the only clean cars on the block. They laughed at the guy washing cars in a drizzle, now I have the last laugh. :rolleyes:

Ken(D&J) Nice work on the module carts. I had 2 at one time, that kind of reminded me of open auto racks. One held 2 6 ft modules and my tool box, the other held 4 four foot modules, all 2 feet wide. They fit nicely into a 4x8 enclosed Pace trailer (Actually a tiny bit wider than 4 ft, like 4 ft 6") chocks screwed to the floor guided them in place and with the back door closed, the rode firmly in place. Here's one of em,modulecart.jpg
Left the club, sold the trailer, only kept 3 modules. Now I'm back in the club, starting over.:cool:

Bruce
Glad to hear the pain is subsiding. Hearing your story makes me really glad that I missed out on having the pox, and the later side effects.

Garry
, love the forced perspective shot. That's using your noggin! BTW, I knew they were dairy cows from the get go. No bull! :D

Justin. Might I suggest another turnout (switch) on the main to give that long parallel track a place to go, and make a killer run around to boot? But like Eric said, it's for your enjoyment.

Speaking of track laying and plans. My latest scratchings. I was holding off further development pending SWMBO's approval. But now, no SWMBO, no approval needed. It will all be open frame with spline roadbed. 3 lift ups , 2 at the "top" to allow access to the center and the utility closet, and a 3rd at the laundry room door. Still have lots of industries to add, but it can be run point to point of a continuous loop.
Layout, phases 1 and 2.jpg
Plus more staging in the laundry room.

Sherrel Glad to hear you dodged a bullet on the tranny. I'm starting to think Jesse took a bullet for you.

Eric Too cold for a walk to the liquor store? Balderdash! ;)

Time to go gang, there's a chain saw and a woodpile calling my name.

Here's my updated track plan. I shifted one switch backward to allow for a longer spur and added 3/4" sections to the beginning, middle, and end of the S curve. I did not add roads to this one, but I think the track placement looks better now.
28c6ee27b90c3756af079c83052a2fd7.jpg

Jesse

Willie & KB - I've always had bad luck with cars. T*ts and tires = trouble. Some of my my best adventure tales begin with "So I went to move this car of mine...". Lol. But, trouble or no, I'm not swearing off of either.

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back