Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did exactly what Garry said to do on my last 2 layouts. I never had those kind of problems.

Before you tear it down, take LOTS of pics. You'll be glad you did.
If nothing, for posterity.
E.

I am with Garry on the repair work! Use 3/4 plywood for the gussets and don't skimp - use full length gussets with lots of screws.

May I ask what thickness your plywood is that you have had the warping? Anything less than 1/2 is not good (even 1/2 inch ply sometimes is not good unless it is a better grade like oak, maple, or such) Look for the scrap bin at HD and Lowes. Good bargains of usable wood there.

I am finally tackling the Christmas Decor - I have been "shamed" into it by some of my spouses clients!
It's 66* going to 83* today with calm winds here - somewhat subdued from the past few days. I understand up North that the winds are still causing havoc. It was brutal going up El Cajon Pass yesterday!

Chet - No sweat, No hurry - may be after Christmas to start the way things are going.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning including re-caulking a window that had a small leak during our last rain. Last night we lost power at 9:30 pm until 6:30 am. Found out one of our excellent FL drivers ran into a power pole and knocked it down about 20 yards from our sub-division.

Today I built the frame for the spout and attached it (the spout) after painting the mechanical parts. I test fit it on the layout and it looks like the proper height for my K4s. Next thing to do is the chain work which I decided to do on it's own day because it will probably be a pain to do. I hope to do it tomorrow after my VA appointment.

VA Ken- That looks like a very nice sized area to do a intermodal yard.

Sherrel- I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

Garry- Do you leave the blue fluid on the track or wipe it off?

Justin- I had the same type issues when I started out. I made 4 separate tables and bolted them together. Needles to say I wasn't very careful and I had issues with the track work. And of course I always needed to put in a T/O in the worst areas. Most of the problems have been removed in layout modifications, but I still have a couple of those spots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'll be honest in saying that I used 1/2 inch plywood. It wasn't the cheapest sheet. It's not the bottom of the barrel chip wood plywood. It's a step up from that. However I'd be amazed to find a sheet that's not warped as all get out. And with that everywhere my panels meet is a 2x4 so all ends are tacked rather nailed to that. Only way to fix this is bite the bullet and redo everything. It's the only solution I can come up with. To fix what's wrong I would have to remove supports or panels. Of which my mountain will most likely be damaged if not destroyed. It's that point where my excitement to run trains has come back to bite me in the butt.

Justin

Justin, if you end up starting over, don't use cdx plywood, use bc or marine grade. Your next layout will thank you.

Justin, if you end up starting over, don't use cdx plywood, use bc or marine grade. Your next layout will thank you.

Or even some of that Chinese made 5 or 7 layer ply. It's pretty cheap out here - and looks good to me with a "cabinet type finished side".

Chet - I hear you and Willie and others on the different locos running at different speeds. I also hear you about running multiple trains vs running one at a time. I have three Broadway Limited Imports locos: 2 are diesel and 1 is the steamer, plus I have one other that I forget which brand it is. That's the small one I plan to use as a "switcher" in the yard. The two BLI diesels match each other perfectly in speed, so when I want to run two trains at the same time I use those. I bought the steamer from BLI expecting it to match the speed and performance of the two diesels but that's not happening. I will probably have to run that one by itself. It's just that running multiple trains at the same time is exciting, especially for visitors to watch. ;)

Curt. .... I use the blue stuff sparingly because it is not cheap. For tops of rails, I use acetone on a rag or with a track cleaning car.

The blue stuff evaporates quickly and need not be wiped off . I have also used tuner cleaner by Radio Shack, but it is in a spray can which sprays more than Is needed. Radio Shack has closed its stores and I don’t know if their tuner cleaner is available . .

Curt. .... I use the blue stuff sparingly because it is not cheap. For tops of rails, I use acetone on a rag or with a track cleaning car.

The blue stuff evaporates quickly and need not be wiped off . I have also used tuner cleaner by Radio Shack, but it is in a spray can which sprays more than Is needed. Radio Shack has closed its stores and I don’t know if their tuner cleaner is available . .
https://www.radioshack.com/products...tact-cleaner-and-lubricant?variant=5717842309

Hello All...The "Anti-NitPickers League"...Sounds like the right place for me !!!...I do hope the Coffee Shop serves Bear Claws...

Just thought I'd stop in and say Hello...As I sift through many of the threads at times I feel a little out of my league !!!...I'm not
so sure my idea of a Layout is even in the same Universe as others...But I guess ultimately we all do what we can when we can
with the available resources we have at hand...I'm in the Old Marklin 'M' Track world...More than 50 years gone by since I received
my 1st set for Xmas from my parents...Hoping to have some track down in the next month or two...Regards...Trig ;)

Trig - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. No one is out of our league. While we don't have too many Marklin modelers here, I for one look forward to what you have to offer...learning something new every day is good for the mind. We have armchair modelers here, 4'x8' modelers here, and mid-sized to larger as well. Some real railroaders are regular in the Coffee Shop to set us straight.;) All are welcome. I myself am in the mid-size, I loosely model Santa Fe flatlands from 1978-1993 or so in HO and I am an old-school DC user (there are many of us here).

Willie

PS - Oh, bear claws are one of the specialties, just ask Johnny!:cool:

Trig- Welcome to the Coffee Shop. I personally have a mid sized early 1950's PRR themed layout that is controlled by Digitrax DCC. I look forward to seeing and hearing what you share with us.

Terry ... Thanks for the link to Radio Shack tuner cleaner. I see it is in a bottle instead of a spray can, and that is better.

Trig ... Welcome and good to see you . Marklin trains high quality and I bet you enjoy them. My layout is mostly the Burlington Route with nothing more recent than 1962 on the layout. I changed over to DCC with MRC Prodigy Wireless a few years ago and I am pleased with that.

Trig - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. No one is out of our league. While we don't have too many Marklin modelers here, I for one look forward to what you have to offer...learning something new every day is good for the mind. We have armchair modelers here, 4'x8' modelers here, and mid-sized to larger as well. Some real railroaders are regular in the Coffee Shop to set us straight.;) All are welcome. I myself am in the mid-size, I loosely model Santa Fe flatlands from 1978-1993 or so in HO and I am an old-school DC user (there are many of us here).

Willie

PS - Oh, bear claws are one of the specialties, just ask Johnny!:cool:

Trig- Welcome to the Coffee Shop. I personally have a mid sized early 1950's PRR themed layout that is controlled by Digitrax DCC. I look forward to seeing and hearing what you share with us.

Well Thank You Both !!!...It'll essentially be a Big Toy Train...8 x 4...With a few too many switches I'm afraid :)...But necessary for 3 Main Lines, Bi-Directional, 3 Yards & A Station...I'm still trying to decide on a small wiring issue...
Amazing how the design software has changed...I posted a SCARM diagram in 'Layouts' and it's pretty close to what I'm aiming for...And after 50 years of bits & pieces here & there I've actually got 99% of what I need !!!

"Learn Something New Each & Every Day"...Is high on my list along with..."Have Some Fun Each & Every Day"...I've been doing a considerable amount of reading and even if not many Marklin users around....Still many good ideas !!!

So Glad To Hear The Shop Serves Bear Claws !!!​...Trig :D

Trig ... Welcome and good to see you . Marklin trains high quality and I bet you enjoy them. My layout is mostly the Burlington Route with nothing more recent than 1962 on the layout. I changed over to DCC with MRC Prodigy Wireless a few years ago and I am pleased with that.
---------------------------------------------

Thanks Much...And they are beautiful...Tough little monsters too that have stood the test of time...Everything I've ever owned still works...
And maybe someday...I'll tread myself to a Set of F-7's ;)...But then I'll need USA Freight...Oh No the rabbit hole looks deeper again !!!

Trig

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening, Y'all.

Trig: Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Marklin trains are well built, and reliable. Everyone fits in here. I operate a moderate sized switching layout, in DC, loosely following the Reading and Pennsylvania RRs in Southeast Pennsylvania during the 1960s

PRR_Dock Tower_8-27-2015_tower closed 11-11-2017__#1.jpgPRR_Dock Tower_8-27-2015_closed 11-11-2017__#2.jpg.

The photos are of Dock Tower, in Newark, NJ. Last Interlocking tower on the Northeast Corridor, which closed on 11/11/2017.

Welcome Trig.

Only 38 here right now but they are calling for 25 tonight then back to the 50s the rest of the week.

This week sucks!!!!! This morning my layout tonight my truck. I suppose my right front hub gave out on me....nothing better than sitting alongside the road with snow falling, wind blowing, and temps in the teens. Found myself limping it home. I wish I could just hit reset on this week...

Justin

This week sucks!!!!! This morning my layout tonight my truck. I suppose my right front hub gave out on me....nothing better than sitting alongside the road with snow falling, wind blowing, and temps in the teens. Found myself limping it home. I wish I could just hit reset on this week...

Justin

Not the week. Tonight sucks bad!
Just got home with new Ruger 1911.
Went to put on a muzzle break and the main spring holder-backer flew off.
Since I'm deaf in one ear and 50% in the other, I have no idea where it bounced off to.
I heard it but without stereo hearing - no idea. Now my $850 purchase is moot.
GD am I pissed at myself.

Like they say .... Life is like a roller coaster. Sometimes you go up. Sometimes you go down. .... But you keep moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back