Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 63 and mostly sunny here in SW MO. Since the hurricane hit the Texas coast gas here has spiked 32 cents at one chain (from $2.05 to $2.37 at Kum n Go). Other stations have not spiked that much. Some oil company pres needs to put the kids through college, I guess.

VA Ken - I must have missed something in an earlier post, so I apologize - but who wants to evict you and why?
Louis - Yes, prayers for your MIL
Bruce - sorry to hear the shingles are taking so long to disappear
Randy - Love the LHS sign. My wife only questioned my MBKlein purchases one time, when we were trying to pay taxes and do some home remodeling and money was tight. Hey, a guy has his priorities, right?
Louis again - Ah, yes, Clint Eastwood - the only guy who can act with just his face, a gun, and a dozen words.

Caught up with the power wiring last night and the trains are running well through the bridge. Now just have to finish laying track in the new section of the layout and run power wires to that track. I'll also lay the track for the passing siding I mentioned last week.

Have a good day everyone.

Oops, forgot -
Willie - that fence came out looking really nice. I'll eventually have to build a pasture fence too, but I think I'll buy a microscope so I can save my poor eyes :)

Chet, I know, it was the mention of the .44

Funny you should mention that. The .44 magnum I had, was a model 29, the same one that was used in the movie. I had picked it up about 4 months before the movie came out. That thing can be lethal on both ends. Kicks like a mule. Still have it but don't shoot it very often any more.

Good morning. We have 60 degrees with smoke again. We had some light winds yesterday afternoon which did clear the smoke out just long enough to see that the mountains are still out there.

Louis - So sorry to hear about your Wife's mom. Prayers for her.

Eric - Nice to see you back in here. Was wondering about you. It is good that you have gained some weight. Do you have any idea of how long it will be before the feeding tube can be removed? Sure hope it is soon so you can start getting back to normal.

Trussrod - Where are you??? Hope everything is well.

Willie - Nice photo and nice work, but I will pick a nit on this fence. View attachment 63028 The wire is always on the inside of the fence posts so when the livestock reefs on the fence, the post takes the weight. Wire on the outside of the fence will in time have the staples pushed out by the animals. I build a lot of fence when I was growing up. Never put the fencing through the posts. Now waiting for you to slap the s**t out of me. Still, the fence looks great. Nice work. Looks a lot better than mine. Maybe I'll get it in some day. I am quite good at procrastinating.

Terry - Like the hobby shop sign. Good thinking on the owners part.

Finally had the construction dumpster hauled off yesterday. Now the wife has her parking spot back. NO MORE PROJECTS View attachment 63030

Now to the rail picture of the day.

View attachment 63029

Last edited by a moderator:
.44 is a LOT of gun! I'm partial to wheel guns myself but not quite THAT big. .357 is enuff. I picked up an old Security Six, very comfy in the hand and shoots like a dream! I have Daddy's old .38 from when he was an Immigration officer. He shot so well with it the FBI tried to recruit him for their Pistol Team! Nice little Rossi. I served in the late 80's and as a driver was issued a .45 when everybody was clamoring for the new 9mm I was GROOVING on being issued the same weapon as my Grandfather had in WW2!. Automatics jam though so I don't own any.

.44 is a LOT of gun! I'm partial to wheel guns myself but not quite THAT big. .357 is enuff. I picked up an old Security Six, very comfy in the hand and shoots like a dream! I have Daddy's old .38 from when he was an Immigration officer. He shot so well with it the FBI tried to recruit him for their Pistol Team! Nice little Rossi. I served in the late 80's and as a driver was issued a .45 when everybody was clamoring for the new 9mm I was GROOVING on being issued the same weapon as my Grandfather had in WW2!. Automatics jam though so I don't own any.

I think my favorite and gun is my old service revolver when I was a state trooper. A model 66 .357. I liked the stainless steel finish being in Florida, less prone to corrosion. I buffed out the stainless steel, and it looked, still looks like a nickel plated gun. With the 4" barrel it is so well balanced. I have a number of automatic hand guns, but that old '357 is my favorite.

Joe ... I hope that pain is not something serious.

Thanks Garry, me too. Not sure what I did, or when, but this morning, WOW! No longer just stiffness. Guess I have to go see the Doc, and see where that leads, if it persists.

Willie: Fine work on that fence.

Chet: Used to have a S&W Model 19 .357, which I became quite proficient with. Most of the time, it stayed in the safe, so eventually I legally disposed of it. Found I really didn't need it after all.

Ken in VA: Yeah, what was the deal with the eviction notice? I took it as some kind of scam. Guy across the street hasn't paid on his mortgage in six years, and is still living in his house. Bank keeps paying the taxes, and keeps postponing the Sheriff's Sale. When they are ready, they will foreclose.

Going over to the big box store later today. Need some stuff that won't wait until next week.

Joe - The model 66 is a stainless steel version of the model 19, both on a S&W K frame. That is one sweet handgun. Extremely accurate in the right hands. My wife came to the pistol range with me one time for our quarterly qualifications and she out shot some of the other officers. I have had a concealed carry permit forever, but unfortunately, the model 66 is a bit bulky. For concealed carry, I like my old off duty weapon, a Walthers PPK. Not big gun, but who is going to measure the size of a bullet when they're whizzing around them.

On the eviction notice.
I received an email a few days ago from a Isabelle Alexander claiming I hadn't responded to their previous eviction notices and that they were taking final action.
I responded that they need to check their data. I own this property outright. Any approach will be met with deadly force.

Good Morning All: It's still HOT here! 106 today is looked for (was 108 point something yesterday). Took the dogs to the dog park last evening. It was tolerabe at around 97 degrees at 7 PM when I left. Nice park - four seperate area for dogs - two smaller for small dogs and two larger for big dogs - with lots of heavy grass and shade trees and even benches for people to sit. Covers about three acres overall.

Willie -- Your fence looks good to me especially being HO size - despite what Chet said. lol
I must have missed someting along the way ... what is the "wire" made from?
The scenery on the opposite side of the track is really nice looking. I like that.

ERIC -- The weight gain is great! Glad to hear that you are progressing.

Louis, Certainly best wishes and prayers for your MIL, so sorry that you and your wife have to bear this pain.

JOE -Don't like to hear about your pain! When I went in for my last checkup a couple weeks ago, I described the "dull" pain that I had in my upper chest for several days (just about where I thought they made some plumbing connections) The two surgeons looked at each other and exclaimed, " You had a pretty serious blood clot there! That is the way they feel."
Could be that you have one there in your leg?

CHET-- It's been 50 years since I fired a .44 Mag. I shot it twice .. decided that I didn't need anything that big. My hand, and arm, hurt for days!

Coffee cup needs filling again ... back in a while.

Sirfoldalot; [B said:
CHET[/B]-- It's been 50 years since I fired a .44 Mag. I shot it twice .. decided that I didn't need anything that big. My hand, and arm, hurt for days!

I know the feeling. When I picked it up i got a bos of ammo (50 rounds) and shot them off. Like cannon. A few shots could take down a tree. The hand and arm were pretty well useless for a few days. Even had to drink beer left handed.

Guns are fairly common out here. There are a lot of hunters and we don't have the regulation that a lot of states have. If I want, I can legally walk down main street with a side arm holstered and in plain sight. I think my favorite semi automatic handgun is my Glock 22, .40 mm although my Baretta PX4 is a bit more compact.

Mentioning .22 cal, we have a driver who moved out here years ago from upstate New York and he has been bringing .22 ammo to his friends because it is so hard to get there. They use it to hunt varmints that are destroying some of their fields. They just can't believe how hard it is go get simple .22 ammo. He'll puck up a couple of bricks and they're sold before he even leaves here.

RE/ the Houston and surrounding area flooding - heard today about a guy who had a high, tough vehicle who was just driving around Houston picking up people and taking them wherever they needed to go - home, a store that might be open, relatives' house, etc. Just one more person doing what he could to help out in a tough situation. Crises like this one can bring out the worst in some people, but, thankfully it can also bring out the best.

For those who don't pray, please do like I know my friend Beady will do; send positive thoughts our way.

God Bless us Everyone.
Done, buddy.

Oh, I forgot: ...and all who sail in us.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Beady - There's still not a lot of folks at the evacuation center in Dallas YET. They have set up thousands of cots in the underground parking garage, Walmart has set up a temporary pharmacy, the local hospitals have set up a triage center, and certain designated schools are ready to take in displaced students. A few planeloads have arrived from Galveston and there are 250 buses waiting for the Interstate to open so they can evacuate additional people. Many thanks to your son for volunteering.
They're somewhere in the area now, but ironically are having trouble getting the boats in the water near enough to do any good. OTOH, they got their 3 truckloads of donations distributed, apparently within the first hour after their arrival. Naturally, one of the first news items I see after reading his message was about how fire ants band together to form floating rafts for survival. Almost makes me miss the days he was in Iraq.

Joe - The model 66 is a stainless steel version of the model 19, both on a S&W K frame. That is one sweet handgun. Extremely accurate in the right hands. My wife came to the pistol range with me one time for our quarterly qualifications and she out shot some of the other officers. I have had a concealed carry permit forever, but unfortunately, the model 66 is a bit bulky. For concealed carry, I like my old off duty weapon, a Walthers PPK. Not big gun, but who is going to measure the size of a bullet when they're whizzing around them.

Chet:
It was a sweet handgun. Had a bit of a kick to it, but it was very accurate. I had conceal permits in both PA and Delaware, and worked at night. That was during a period of civil unrest in Wilmington. Not exactly easy to conceal a Model 19, but my Field Jacket covered it nicely. Bad thing was I went right to University from work, so I had to make arrangements for secure storage during my classes. If there was no one available to sign it in, I had to wear the field jacket inside during class. Awkward, to say the least. Even though I was legal, it made people nervous. Eventually, things settled down, and it never came out of the safe, except for a trip to the range. I have not had a weapon for over 20 years now.

JOE -Don't like to hear about your pain! When I went in for my last checkup a couple weeks ago, I described the "dull" pain that I had in my upper chest for several days (just about where I thought they made some plumbing connections) The two surgeons looked at each other and exclaimed, " You had a pretty serious blood clot there! That is the way they feel."
Could be that you have one there in your leg?

Sherrel: I hope not, but I looked for lumps and bruise marks. I am on blood pressure medication, and I bleed easily, so I don't think so. I suspect, the source is either spinal or the hip, in addition to the left knee and ankle. Last time I went to an Orthopedic, he told me my knee wasn't bad, but gave it a shot of Cortisone. He was a Hand, arm , shoulder and neck guy, though. After ample medication, the pain is gone, only the stiffness remains.

Guns: My three favorites, all .45. In order, replica of Wyatt Earp's Buntline special, from the movie Tombstone; converted 1861 Colt Army; 1872 Colt Army. Not very practical for everyday carry (I have a Ruger LC9S Pro for that), but fun to shoot. Unfortunately, I think my active Cowboy Shooting days may be over and most of the safe contents will be up for sale before long.
7b9cfdc9cb23411a297b487aed2ce92d.jpg
2f8cdd8105a18e59335510611dc75778.jpg
30ee04a3cc9d85610fcb9b408632ad9a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back