Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Saw the damndest thing on the way. Coming back through Lancaster County on a quaint country road we came upon a team of horses. Young man driving the horses appeared Amish. The rig they were driving appeared to be a small cart, with a running 4 Cylinder industrial type motor. On the back of the cart trailed a "bushhog" type of mower! :confused::confused::confused:
!
I guess you haven't interacted with Amish people much. They'll allow a machine to perform physical labor, but not provide motive power.

People just don't pay attention. The folks who refused to evacuate out of the path of hurricane Harvey are paying for their poor judgement and putting others at risk.

Ken - While I couldn't agree with you more, the logistics of evacuating six million people out of the Houston area in two days is actually impossible. Even carpooling with four to a car, that would be 1.5 million vehicles. Everyone leaving Galveston and the area around there has to drive through Houston as well. TXDOT did turn all major highways into one direction out only but it wasn't enough. Now if they really had a long term plan, they could identify and attempt to get those in the low lying areas out. It's the fools that try to navigate high water in their sub-compacts that lack good judgement. This was a very fast developing storm system.
Just trying to put it into perspective. No argument here.

Willie

Wow! I'm watching the weather channel on Harvey at Dickinson Texas. People all over the place wondering around in knee deep water & deeper. They didn't seem to be too concerned, news people talking to a gal that has been on the top of her house with her family for a day & a half. Seemed like a normal routine to her....WOW! AHHH, she thought she had time she says......turns out, NO time! Five to six feet of water in her house! 20 more inches of rain on the way says weather guy....... WOW!

Willie...... you've good to be in the periphery of this thing, no?
Well, that's living on this earth, burned out by fire...flooded out by water......

Willie...... you've good to be in the periphery of this thing, no?
Well, that's living on this earth, burned out by fire...flooded out by water......
It'd be sort of silly to try it the other way around, wouldn't it?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Howdy ...

Chet ... I would like to go to one of those club open houses some day. ... You'll be pleased with the Stewart F3. Adding details is fun actually.

Below are F-units I detailed for CB&Q. I painted and letters them too.

35970515274_6e908e8f55_b.jpg

Everybody ... If you want to know how I made "water" I posted a thread in the Model Railroader forum. (My name in that forum is Heartland Division CB&Q). When I get a chance I will post such a thread in this forum too. .. http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/264822.aspx

36683454802_ccabe65eeb_z.jpg

I also loaded Decoder Pro on it, and Lokprogrammer. It seems to work great.

Didn't know you could install lokprogrammer onto a computer, thought you had to use ESU's one. Is it able to download and install/program the files onto the decoders?

Didn't know you could install lokprogrammer onto a computer, thought you had to use ESU's one. Is it able to download and install/program the files onto the decoders?

It is able to download and install and program files onto the decoders. All it takes is their adapter, only $149.95 from ESU.

It is able to download and install and program files onto the decoders. All it takes is their adapter, only $149.95 from ESU.

Now I'm confused. The Lokprogrammer is that price I believe, so is that what you're refering to as the adapter, i.e. one and the same and it needs JMRI to use it?

Probably not an opportune time to post pics of flooding, but here's a few pics of trains crossing the Burdekin River in north Queensland, between Ayr and Homehill. This old wooden bridge was still in use at least into the 1950's

35580368014_8a3495c45b_b[1].jpg
A bit closer up of a longer train
Steam-train-crossing-flooded-Burdekin-River[1].jpg
How would you feel about crossing that bridge after seeing this
wi82h[1].jpg
Or more so after this, I believe this was the final straw.
4121958[1].jpg

Good morning model railroaders..... the heat is on in the far west again.....starting at 57 this morning, climbing to the mid 90's.
Chet.....thanks much, that's one aspect of the hobby I really enjoy. Your night at the club with the S-2, anybody check speeds? Look like you were doing a scale 60 mph or so....:D
Newguy...... I really like these cars, brake rigging detail is excellent. Bought them 'cause they were Pacific Lumber...jeeze, how many logging cars can one have? I still have three Kadee spine log cars to put together...that will make 16.
Karl......Always did like the Impala's, never did own one though. Back in the mid 90's the EX war department and I got a chevy Lumina Euro. Man was that a nice car. Peppy, comfortable, & fast. That color of your Impala makes it look like a luxury car.......
It'd be sort of silly to try it the other way around, wouldn't it?
Beady.....not sure of your reference, but there is a typo there, it should be got---not good. I've noticed several errors on other posts since getting the new puter. Since then I try & proof read them 2 or 3 times before hitting the submit button. Missed that one!
Garry....nice shot of that covered wagon, CB&Q 700 A-B unit.......

Good thoughts for the people affected by Harvey........
Take Care...Behave Yourself........

Good Morning All. 70° and mostly cloudy. High temperatures are staying in the 80's since last week, maybe summer is gone from around here. Global warming gave us only one triple digit temperature this summer, compared to an average of 30+ a year historically. Spent some time in the pool yesterday, the temperature has dropped to 81°, just barely tolerable for me. Wife won't even think of using it any time it gets below 84°. Looking like a short pool season this year, mid-May to Labor Day. Some years we can go until October.
Looks like most of the heavy hurricane rain is now in East Texas near the Louisiana border, and in SW LA. Still lots in South Texas, but not as heavy. Most of the area around Houston has received between 24" and 30". The area East of Austin has been hard hit as well. The outlying bands of rain are about 60 miles south of Dallas/Ft Worth, although they are moderately light. Too soon to tell yet, but the media is really preaching doom and gloom about gasoline prices. It's usually just a bunch of hype as these refineries are mostly hurricane-proof, some storage facilities are not, and they will fire back up as soon as enough employees can get to work. From what I've seen from past hurricanes, prices go up about 5¢ a gallon for about a week before receding...mostly from retailers riding the hype.
Didn't do much in the train shed yesterday, Sunday is a short day with church and all. I did ballast some more track and finished drilling and painting all of the fence posts needed for the first phase of barbed wire fencing.

Garry - Your BIL in Corpus should be OK, as the storm spared them for the most part. They have lots of damage from wind though, power is out in most of Corpus, but the authorities were telling people that it was safe to return there as early as Saturday, some inconveniences do exist. Your "F" units are looking good.
Joe/Jerry - Most of the folks along the Texas coast are used to hurricanes, they come and go a lot. This one is just worse than any past ones. Allison in 2001, Rita in 2005, Ike in 2008, are some of the notable ones from this century. In June there was tropical storm Cindy that gave them their first taste of the season.
Jerry - I'm about 300 miles north of the Houston area and 350 miles from the coast, so hurricane rains don't usually affect me. Occasionally the outer bands send some rain this far, but never in disastrous amounts. This time the closest that they got was about 25 miles away. Era TX is almost (20 miles) in Oklahoma. Of course Mother Nature treats different areas of the country differently. Some areas like yours get the forest fires, the Midwest and Northeast get major snow, California has crazy people along with earthquakes, mudslides and brush fires, most coastal areas have hurricanes, our thing is tornados.

Looking like a nice day here, sometime since I first checked at 4:00am, the thunderstorms were taken out of our forecast.
So everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning ....

Willie ... Thanks for commenting on the photo. ... I think you are right the media are overstating the affect to gasoline prices caused by Harvey. I see today gasoline price futures are up about 3 1/2 %, and that is probably the worst it will be. However, I bet it takes several weeks for gasoline prices to normalize.

Jerry .. Thanks much for the comment.

Toot ..... Your historic flood photos are interesting.

Speaking of water, I added my method for making "water" to the "Water" thread in scenery in this forum. My method is very easy and takes very little time. .

Good morning everyone. 66 and overcast here in SW MO, should hit 79 today. Nice week ahead until Friday when there's a chance of rain.

Not much to report - didn't get too much time in the train room this weekend - mowed the yard, prepared and seeded an area of the lawn, cleaned and organized my wood shop/storage area, church service Sunday morning. Most important thing was attending granddaughter #2's FIRST birthday - a fun time with about 30 folks there! MOH spent most of the weekend preparing for dinner tonight since inlaws and family are coming over. Will get to show them the train room progress, and one wants to do some cutting out in my wood shop.

Stay well. God bless. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. We started the day off at a smokey 56 degrees with an expected high near 90.

Jerry - It can get a bit hectic operating so many trains at the club with the lack of communications. I have a good friend in Missouri who has a layout over twice the size of the club layout, but during operating sessions, there i at least one dispatcher and everyone has a wireless headset for communications. We normally do operate at lower speeds, but someone had gotten ahead of them selves and threw a switch showing me a green light to enter the main line while there were two trains coming in the opposite direction on the same track. I had to step it up a bit to get to the passing siding at the top of the grade to let the other trains pass.

Karl - That Impala is one nice looking car. I had seriously considered one but just could not stand all of the technology that was in it, especially the touch screen. We had rented a Suburban to go to one of out bowling tournaments in Nevada and that screen drove me nuts.

Willie - hope that you are high and dry where you are. I have been watching reports on the flooding in Houston and am in awe of the event. It is Katrine on steriods. I had to chuckle when people were complaining about not being prepared. New reports prior to the storm warned people to get out and then there has never been such a rain event, and on top of that in such a populated area. My heart goes out to all of those that are effected.

Garry - I am looking forward to work on those Stewart units. They are some sweet running locomotives. I dug out my Walthers catalog to start ordering detail parts when I find the time. I do have some on hand from earlier projects so I will have to sort through and make a list of what to order. Can't believe that I won the auction on both with just a starting bid.

Got to get to work so here's my rail photo for the day.

Train-Track-Switchjghhj.jpg

Later

Morning -- I slept in this day. Couldn't believe that the dogs did not move until I did. They just lay there looking out the window.

I ventured out a couple times yesterday .. Drove out (with the dogs) to see MOH and her Mom for an hour or so and then to the bank to get some money to pay the lawn mowing guy for the month. IT was HOT! I meant to check the humidity level, but forgot! I just noticed that it almost hurt to breathe - like the moisture was being sucked out of you. Gonna be hotter today!

Today is forecast to be WARMER than yesterday.
Today
High 104 | Low 73 °F
10% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 101.3 | Low 63.8 °F
Precip. -- in

Gotta love those F's, GARRY! You guys got me so excited that I bought some undecorated Stewart A&B early version with the "chicken wire" grills. My plan is to make them into the first units the Frisco received. (Photo is not mine but what I hope to mimic)
stewar t01.JPG

Good Morning everyone...

Chet: Nice video of your S unit at the club. You're correct about the speed being a bit too fast. I have a friend who loves to run HO trains at Lionel speeds. On my layout I run very slow to make it like more more prototypical and my mainline is very short since the layout is modest in size. People seem to enjoy watching trains at a lower speed.

Just make have to make a trip to Livingston next year to see the club first hand.

The scenery at the club is great and very realistic.

Karl: Nice Impala and red is my favorite color. Clean vehicles are a must. My 2014 Silverado is always dirty inside due to driving in "Sand Country" where our cabin is located. Have a friend whose vehicles are older, but always clean and in showroom condition.

Gerry: Great looking F units. Nice job on the painting and detailing.

I purchased Steward A and B unit Milwaukee Road F units at Trainfest years ago and just recently installed a DCC decoder in the A unit and now run the units. They lack some detail but are great runners.

Down to the train room for a few hours and then out to dinner with the BOSS.

Take care.

Greg

Back