Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all, Happy Sunday! Looks like a great beach day.

Concerning Photo Bucket, I'm not a subscriber. Recently, I have not been able to view photos from Curt or Garry, because I'm not a member and I have an ad blocker. They did not offer me a "free" subscription, but offered membership at a "discount". I do not like cloud applications, and have already lost videos when Cisco stopped supporting Flip Share.

If I can't save something to my HD, I don't do it. Don't trust these people.

Louis - You'll be welcome to visit anytime.

Beware of anything "FREE"

Willie I look forward to it, but I don't plan on retiring any time soon, thank God. I have always wanted to see Texas and the western frontier, but California is not on my list. Sorry Sherrel, you will have to come visit me.

Ever since I was a kid and right up to this day I have been a fan of western movies and TV shows. Laramie is a staple on my watch list. I make my boys watch it sometimes because Slim and Jess are a great example of men doing the right thing for no other reason than it is the right thing to do.

That reminds me I just saw new western "In a Valley of Violence" I enjoyed it. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...io&SP=1&QS=AS&SK=&sc=8-18&form=BB07SS&pc=BB07
I wish they would make more westerns.

Free? Nothing is free, unless it comes from an individual and even then beware.

I don't know anything about photo bucket, but I don't see a need for it. I copy and paste all of my photos.

I do use Microsoft's cloud but only as a back up. I keep everything on my hard drive and an additional USB back up. I know it's redundant, but I don't want to lose anything I have.

I really like Microsoft's cloud. It's easy and I have access to all my Microsoft Office files on my phone or any device for that matter. One of these day I am going to go to a train show and I'll have my inventory on my phone.

I feel bad for all you who have been screwed by photo bucket.

Have we heard anything about Sherrel's dog?

As for me; this heat and humidity is kicking my ass! I feel like a boxer who has been hit by one too many body blows, but I'll stager through to finish the 15th round. I fully expect to win by decision. Air conditioning is my performance enhancer!

I only use Photobucket to upload images so I can share them on forums without the forum owner having to pay to store my stuff. I keep all the original files on my computer(s). I do have three different external HDD backup locations, as well as some burned onto discs. So, this latest pooch-screw with the revolving-door laptop fiasco has been nothing more than an inconvenience. I lost no files or settings, not even my bookmarks.

Photobucket is restricting accounts and breaking links to 3rd party's https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ome..69i57.75592j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I have an account, but haven't accessed it in years. Not sure I remember my login info.

I'm not sure that Photobucket is relevant anymore. Time was, if you wanted to post photos to, say, here, you had to link to a storage site such as PB, rather than uploading directly from your device; the last forum requiring that that I belong to, finally upgraded a few months ago. Nowadays, it seems like you get access to a different Cloud every time you sign up for something; I've got Amazon, OneDrive (Microsoft), and Google. These Clouds can store anything on your computer; far as I know, PB is only good for photos.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

If I can't save something to my HD, I don't do it. Don't trust these people.
I have my computer set to back everything up to an external hard drive weekly. My own cloud, as it were; that means I have four backups of everything, not including stuff I have shared on computer, phone and tablet.

That sounds excessive, and I'm not sure how it happened. It just sort of grew all on its own.

That sounds excessive, and I'm not sure how it happened. It just sort of grew all on its own.

Better that, than to have a problem, and realize nothing is backed up.

Ever since I was a kid and right up to this day I have been a fan of western movies and TV shows. Laramie is a staple on my watch list. I make my boys watch it sometimes because Slim and Jess are a great example of men doing the right thing for no other reason than it is the right thing to do.

That reminds me I just saw new western "In a Valley of Violence" I enjoyed it. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...io&SP=1&QS=AS&SK=&sc=8-18&form=BB07SS&pc=BB07
I wish they would make more westerns.
I've got a Jones for the Old West, especially the myth. I've done Cowboy Action Shooting for 8 or 9 years, now. We dress up in cowboy duds and shoot reproduction (mostly, some real) 19th century revolvers, rifles and shotguns at steel targets.

Last 4th of July I made a mad dash to Texas and back. The purpose of the trip was to deliver my best pair of revolvers to a buyer, an off-shore oil worker, who lived near the Rio Grand. After the delivery, I zipped over to Del Rio and Langtry to visit the grave site of Judge Roy Bean (the "law west of the Pecos"), and the Jersey Lily, respectively. On the way back, I stopped at the Washita battlefield.

Never heard of that movie, I'll check it out. The original The Magnificent Seven is one of my favorite go-to movies (the remake is crap); it has a permanent place on my phone and tablet. I also love the movie it's based on, The Seven Samurai. Another favorite Western is Open Range, as well as Broken Trail, and the little-known Thousand Pieces of Gold (the last two are about the Chinese in the West, and both are true stories).
eecaf6d9cde19a4d0f204efe0c7db5b8.jpg
bdff120f84493e6bdbf2b0fc0200ea2c.jpg
b16481c86826d8d5c7142c340fde7aae.jpg

Wow, Beady, Louis, I am a BIG western fan too. Mostly books, however. I am on my 35th Zane Grey novel right now, and I just started reading them a year ago.

I have read at least 50 Louis Lamore novels.

by the way, Good Afternoon all!

Hey Guys!
Just been so busy with things running amok in my mind that I have not taken the time to post anything.

My dog, Foxie, who is now just turned 10 years old, just seemed to "quit". We had made the LA trip to the doctors for followup and surgery scheduling for the next round. When we returned home, she and Charlie the little poodle mix greeted us at the door as per usual, but she was not quite as active as normal. Then, she proceeded to lay down-was not interested at all in eating anything- wanted to get up on the couch- but could not. When I tried to pick her up - she yelped so loud that it scared me. She slept on the floor next to the couch all night and did not try to come up the stairs. Next morning I took her to the Vet that I have used here for the past 8+ years - had to "culp" picking her up under her stomach to get her into vehicle where normally she bounds into one jump from several feet away. OK, getting carried away here ... Vet did a complete blood panel and at least 7-8 x-rays - and could not find anything out of the normal range and xrays were all clear as could be ... Vet is as puzzled as I am.
For about the next 24 hours, she gained a little "spunk" back, and has continued to improve, although she is still not fully herself excluding eating - she has regained her appetite. It almost seems as if she caught a 24 hour "bug" - Is this possible - anyone hear of this? I have had dogs all my life and I have never had one that has been "ill" in this way. Something else for me to worry about - all our "live in" pet sitters are booked up and neither of us want to board them for perhaps 5-6 days(or longer) that I may be in the hospital. We will try and have family members look in on them a couple times a day and feed them in the evening. With Foxie being sick .. I just don't want her dumped at the boarding; I had rather her be in her normal surroundings.

More later ... everything seems to be piling up at the moment. Try and catch up with every one's posts later.

Beady Cute photos - my son- in addition to his jousting - does mounted shooting!

shooting1.jpg

Sherrel, did the vet check for pancreatitis? Ours had exhibited similar symptoms, and was put on a special diet. She is now back to her old self.

Greetings! Happy Canada Day to those of you North of the border, and a happy Independence Day weekend to everyone in the Lower 48 (+AK & HI).

Sherrell - I continue praying for your upcoming surgery, and hope you can find a live-in sitter for your dogs (esp. the sick one).

Ooops - being called to supper, gotta go - gotta continue this back later!:eek:

Maybe she ate something that wasn't good for her.
Beady - I've seen the gun fight street shows at Tombstone and Oatman. They're pretty funny, especially the warning before the show that it's only a play and that the audiance should not help if they are carrying.

Sherrel, as Ken of the D&J said; she may have eaten something that did not agree with her. She may only have had gas pains. Could have been a 24 hour stomach virus.

I've had dogs all my life and they get gas, colds and most anything we can get. The major difference is their immune systems are stronger and more resilient than ours are. Therefor they don't get sick from viruses and bacteria as frequently as we do and they recover more quickly, usually.

Pancreatitis would show up in the blood work, at least that is how they monitor mine.

Could have been a gallstone, they can cause the same symptoms as pancreatitis.

As Terry said a special diet could be in order. The breeder I got my Dalmatian from warned me to not give him too much protein because Dalmatians are susceptible to gallstones. I was told to keep his protein below 17% Talk to your vet about it the next time you see him.

Be glad she is feeling better, you did everything you can do, good man! I think she will soon be fine if her appetite has retuned.

Regarding photos and PhotoBucket. ...... For several years I stored my digital photos on the hard drive of the computer and they were well organized. Many of them were uploaded to PhotoBucket where I also organized them. The old computer's hard drive failed, and I was unable to recover the photo files. ... With the new computer, I did not take time to save and organize photos on the heard drive because I had my photos in PhotoBucket. ... It will be a slow process copying photos into this computer's hard drive from PhotoBucket ... I don't have as much time as I would like for model railroading, and now I will have to use much of that to screw around with photos. ... Probably, I will select a small percent of photos to save from PhotoBucket. I'll take new pictures of the layout when I want to show stuff in forums.

Meanwhile, I need another host to post in the MR forum where members can not post directly from their computers. At first, I will experiment with Flickr. Here comes another learning curve. Just what I wanted. :p

Ok where was I at before the supper interruption...oh yeah...Photobucket.

The Photobucket debacle doesn't really impact me very much, because I've been hosting images on my own website for the past 2-3 years. I had noticed that if I posted a clickable link to a PB-hosted JPG or GIF file on the forum, it didn't just display the image - it opened an HTML page full of really obnoxious ads. At that point I figured since I had a leftover website [from a blog about my previous layout], I might as well put it to use. Now I'm really glad that I did! I still have 90% of my PB image files on my hard drive anyway, if I ever decide I want to share any of them again.

On the layout front, I've been struggling with another scenery dilemma for the past week. I didn't find out until Friday that one of my favorite latex paint brands - the Ralph Lauren textured paints - was discontinued. I started to post a thread [forum software wouldn't let me delete it:confused:] asking about where I could find a replacement, when SWMBO showed me a Valspar ad and I thought my problem was solved...until I went to Lowes and discovered the Valspar "sandstone" paint was only available in 6 colors, none of which were of any use to me!:mad: Finally I went to the local Ace and discovered they sold silica sand that can be mixed with regular latex paint to get the texture I want.

This is the paint I want to use to simulate gravel surfaces. I need to get a few lineside industry parking lots finished before I can continue with the "natural" scenery project [closer to the front of the benchwork].

-ken

Me, being cynical of the motives of most commercial enterprise decisions regarding their customer's rights or requirements, I suspect Photobucket is counting on (dare I say gambling on) their account holders being in a position where they have no quick or practical means to disregard or lose the photos/videos they have stored with them and pay up to save them from becoming basically useless for the purposes they use them the most i.e. sharing.

I certainly won't be "upgrading" my storage plan and to anyone who considers doing so, I would be very wary of what might happen if this gambit doesn't produce the hoped for funds they obviously think are needed to keep the site operating. Could be a bottomless "Bucket"

Good morning. It's relatively clear and 73.
This computer seems to be behaving much more better than the previous one. I don't know if it was the computer or something bizarre like a power glitch on the last one, but I decided not to take any chances, and got a completely different brand and type. The short-lived one was an Acer E15 model, with an I5 processor, 1Tb HDD, and 4 Gb RAM.
The new one is an HP Envy 15 2 in 1, with AMD FX processor, 8Gb RAM, and also a 1Tb HDD. After it was all over, it was $100 more than the cheap Acer. This one was an open-box special from the Geeks, and, after all discounts were taken and my super-duper membership applied, it ended up roughly half price. Time will tell if this was a sound decision financially, I've viewed the service manuals for this, and have decided I really, really don't want to open it up to repair it...
I do know it got really exciting around here when the motherboard on the Acer went up in smoke...

That is a powerhouse! If you don't mind me asking what kind of graphics hardware does it have? I know in the past AMD has done some really interesting and powerful configurations in combination with their processors.

That is if AMD still makes graphics hardware. I am so far from being current with today's technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back