Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel ... I was happy to hear the good news. Medical progress amazes me . Prayers continue.

Ken in MD ... thanks for commenting on my bridges.

Louis ... the Domino sign is sweet .

Chet. I hope you have fun running your passenger train.

Speaking of the Tucker, my friend when I was very young had what he called a " Poor Man Tucker" which was a 1950 Ford that he installed a center headlight in its grill.

Some of this is kinda funny.

https://youtu.be/FSc9jZXHHBA[/URL [i]This signature is intended to irritate people.[/i]

With some trepidation (being this is a link provided by Beady, and I have had some Trojans dealt with lately :p), I assume this is the vid you were referring to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai7DHG4w1U0

A hint to embed Y-tube vids. Copy the full URL in the address bar (I find preferrably at or near the start with the video running, and paste to the Quick Reply field). Once posted this Forum's software will automatically embed it in the view.

With some trepidation (being this is a link provided by Beady, and I have had some Trojans dealt with lately :p), I assume this is the vid you were referring to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai7DHG4w1U0

A hint to embed Y-tube vids. Copy the full URL in the address bar (I find preferrably at or near the start with the video running, and paste to the Quick Reply field). Once posted this Forum's software will automatically embed it in the view.
Thanks. I've embedded videos before, but I can never remember from one time to the next how to do it. The video I was trying to point to is one of several pov clips of Lego trains running through houses and gardens.

Let me try again.

https://youtu.be/eSF8E6vbiLE

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first joined the forum, you had 2 options, copy and paste the whole address URL and that is what would paste, requiring the viewer to click onto that to view it on Youtube. To embed the vid, you had to copy only the bit between the = marks in the address, or after if there was only 1. To paste it, you had to use the "Advanced" field option, which had a Youtube option in the bars at the top of the field and click that to put a bracketed "sign" into the field and put your pointer on the flashing cursor to then paste.

In recent times, as part of a forum upgrade, Bob, our admin, has made it simpler, by as I said, to just copy the whole URL and paste into the "Quick Reply" field to embed. I asked him about it as I thought embedding used a lot of bandwidth. He said he found people were more likely to view vids if they were embedded and just a simple click away. Very true I would think too. I've noticed that once the video finishes it ends with other ones to click onto, but not always the next vid that follows. If you do view directly onto Youtube, the next in line begins after the one just viewed and the thumbnail is in the column on the right, but once again, not always directly following.

These trains must be battery with radio (maybe infrared) control. Why would you consciously drive one into water??? There were bubbles rising after the loco fell over, was that from trapped air or shorting electronics???

OK .. Now comes a CT Scan on the 31st and a followup with the head guys from the Intervention Radiology team who oversaw this entire procedure and put together the three different teams (Hooray for All of Them). Now, I just pray that the Scan comes back clean and there are no complications, or "leaks" from where the aneurysm was bypassed and from the sleeve which was placed inside the aorta to keep blood flow from the aneurysm.

Waiting i\sf the hardest part. I wish they would schedule appointments the day before so you/I/we have no time to dwell on the matter.
My next full scan is this coming August 7th. that gives plenty of time to dwell on this that don't need to be dwelt on.
If I don't back 100 % cancer free, the surgeon won't operate and they are fearful of sending me through radiation again.
Chemo I think I could handle some of without much problem. Radiation wiped me out and would likely kill me to do ti again. Not that I would try it a time or two.

I wish you Brother Sherrell!!!
This being down and out just plain sucks.

It wont' stop me from building the new railroad though!
I'll go to the big box store tomorrow if Dad or Brother Bill wants to go.
I got new tools coming Monday so I'll be able to "get er done".
I'll just have to mind what time of day I'm "get'ner done" so as not piss of neighbors.
E.

E

Good Morning All. A bit cooler this morning at 76° and partly cloudy. Didn't quite make it to 100° yesterday, officially 99.3° Very slight chance of showers between noon today and noon Tuesday. Back to the yard mowing grind again yesterday. Limited amount of time as I was unable to locate my grease gun for greasing the new wheel bearings on the tractor. Neighbor lent me one late in the day, so I can really get after it for a bit this morning before going to Mass. Things are still growing wildly from the rain about two weeks ago. That will stop soon unless the predicted showers are more than expected.
Out in the train shed, I did some more lighting buss wiring, and put in 12' of roadbed and track on the benchwork that I did about three months ago. Didn't add significantly to operating potential as it was main and siding extensions...took months to clear off the tools and accumulated "stuff" that are now on the shelves underneath. To break the monotony, I assembled an Athearn Blue Box covered hopper kit. It was a kit from the 80's with the steam engine on the box. I've only actually had it for a few years, but didn't assemble it because I had to re-number it and paint the black plastic bays and underframe first. Brought back memories including remembering to add the red washers to bring it up to height.

Terry - Interesting explanation regarding the dark colored roofs on the reefers, I wondered why it really mattered?
Garry - It is interesting to note that you have the same issue regarding time as I do. And retirement has a drawback, I never get a day off now!
Chet - What's under the long hood of the Tucker. It looks large enough to carry extra passengers on a bed!
Louis - Thanks for posting the neat pictures.
Toot - Someone has too much time on their hands, and a lot of rolling stock. Looks like something that New Guy would build, with only one set of feeders!

Gotta go. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning gang!

75° going to a high of 88°, humidity not too bad, 66%

Good morning. It's clear and 80. Looking for a heat index of 108 today.

Holy crap thats hot! Oh blessed lady of climate control, please don't fail him now!

Sherrel & Big E Improvement is good, but it doesn't get you two off the prayer list until you are 90% better!

Toot Dealing with Trojans? At your age? :rolleyes:

SWMBO and I went to another local carnival last night (Reese). Won 500 bucks on the pull jar, SWMBO won 6 bucks at Bingo. She said oh boy, now we can each have $250! (my ticket was the winner) I said OK, but I want half you Bingo winnings! I'm still waiting for my $3. She just left to go shopping.:confused::rolleyes:
I'm out the door anyway to go to a local auction. Need a little landscape trailer to move tractors around with, and haul junk etc. They have one there, plus all kinds of junk I can drag home.

L8ter

Good morning gang!

75° going to a high of 88°, humidity not too bad, 66%

Holy crap thats hot! Oh blessed lady of climate control, please don't fail him now!

Sherrel & Big E Improvement is good, but it doesn't get you two off the prayer list until you are 90% better!

Toot Dealing with Trojans? At your age? :rolleyes:

SWMBO and I went to another local carnival last night (Reese). Won 500 bucks on the pull jar, SWMBO won 6 bucks at Bingo. She said oh boy, now we can each have $250! (my ticket was the winner) I said OK, but I want half you Bingo winnings! I'm still waiting for my $3. She just left to go shopping.:confused::rolleyes:
I'm out the door anyway to go to a local auction. Need a little landscape trailer to move tractors around with, and haul junk etc. They have one there, plus all kinds of junk I can drag home.

L8ter

KARL .. Exactly my point .. and you made me laugh out loud!
I doubt you will see your $3.00! (Know that I would not.)
I ran out of fingers a long time ago trying to add up the times that I have failed to recover anything!

SAY -- TOOT .. Is this anywhere near you? She probably needs help, although I doubt it!

How to sell watermelons on Carkeet Road, Toogoom, Queensland Australia

toot.jpg

Good morning. We started the day off at 54 degrees, but we are supposed to get up into the low 90's. We don't have to worry about a heat index, but with the heat and low humidity we have what they call a red flag warning for the possibility of wild fires. Still some smoke lingering, but not as bad as yesterday.

Beady - Enjoyed the video. Well done.

Sherrel -
I think I could handle a few melons. Toot may be out searching for that stand right now.

Karl - You may as well kiss that three bucks good bye, and possibly more.

Willie - The hood on the Tucker is the luggage compartment.

Had a busy night at the club last night. The club has an open house every Saturday and there were a lot of visitors, more than a normal evening. Heres's the passenger train that I was trying to run.

IMAG1209.jpg

I was experiencing a few derailments when one of the guys mentioned that with some of the sharp curves they have, you have to run extended couplers on passenger cars with diaphragms. Bummer. The visitors really did enjoy the long passenger train, even though it had a mix of old and new NP paint schemes. (Most probably wouldn't know the difference). It was nice to be able to pull a long passenger train but I am not about to change the couplers because they all run just fine on my home layout. I had a 16 car train running for over 2 hours at home without a single derailment. The guys at the club did want me to keep running the passenger train so I alternated car with Diaphragms, Walthers in the Lowey paint scheme, with older cars, a mix of Mostly Riverossi with an AHM car. Here's what I ended up having to run.

[video=youtube;u1TkUhtvk3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1TkUhtvk3I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As I was leaving the club, a long westbound coal drag was just pulling out of Livingston, right behind the depot. I decided to have a drag race to the top of the pass.

I WON! Victory. Grin.gif

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Not much happening this way. I received the Chopper II yesterday so today I played around cutting styrene and wood. It definitely does a better job cutting angles than I do freehand.

Chet- Nice weather station, track photo, car, and video. I think I covered everything.

I hope everybody has a good night.

It would be me needing the help if I spotted her at the watermellon stand. Had to look the place up on Google maps. "Just up the road" as they say here (after a few hours driving). At Hervey Bay, which is on the coast behind Frazer Island, the largest all sand island in the world.

'Morning all....going to be hot,(mid 90's) & muggy in the Great Basin today, cloudy with a chance of Tstorms. A buddy & I went exploring yesterday, checking out a section of one of the long abandon logging railroads in the area. We got onto a road bed of one of the spur tracks and found this 15 ft section of rail, about two ft of one end sticking out of the bank.
IMG_2302.JPG

Yup, I looked up the name, some interesting reading, some significant history happened at this iron works. This piece I believe is 50 lb rail. I think this rail might have caused a derailment as one end is broken and the rail is bent so when the mess was cleaned up, this piece was left behind, as it was now useless to use again.
IMG_2303.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back