Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

Eric - The cement plant looks outstanding. As other have mentioned, Walthers directions have a lot to be desired. I have build quite a few of their lits and at times had to stop and pause after running out of colorful words. Their directions are pitiful, or maybe a joke.

Thanks Brother Chet!
Should have been an easy build but NO.... directions are too slack. Like every other model of theirs I've gotten.
Unfortunately, when I can pull one off dispite the directions and have it come out good like in those pics - I'm Ok.
But DAM they could do WAYWAYWAYWAY bettter on instructions.

IMHO.

ERIC .. FOUR broken ships - huh? I prefer Cutty Sark from the bottle, not the floor!

WILLIE .. DEath Valley? GOod Comeback .. but No Thank You!

ERIC .. FOUR broken ships - huh? I prefer Cutty Sark from the bottle, not the floor!

WILLIE .. DEath Valley? GOod Comeback .. but No Thank You!

Oooohhh I don't like scotch at all. I just liked the boat.
The last two I built I didn't need to look at the instructions except for occasional reference.
Oh well .... doesn't matter.
Maybe if someone at Walthers listened to us - me in particular. The last couple of models of their's I did had incorrect drawings of the parts including the numbering on the instructions. Some many mistakes on their instructions I wouldn't think would sit well with their CEO but I guess he/she does pay attention us healhouds/customers.
)-D

Just my humble opinion.
E.

Howdy ...

Toot .... The video of Barron Falls is spectacular. It would be a challenge for somebody mocking with Woodland Scenics Water Effects. .... Also, the train ride looks like a good one. Looking at the colorful paint scheme on the locomotives, I would say graffiti artists have met their match.

Sherrel .... I hope the surgery goes very well.

Eric ... The cement plant looks good in spite of the instructions being hard to use.

Hi all, I figured I'd better check in to say I'm still around.

I've been busy working on my tractor to get it running right again. It seems that I need to replace the ignition coil which is a bit of a pain to get to but I'm just eight bolts away from removing the shroud that covers it.

Sherrel: My best wishes for your upcoming surgery, we're all pulling for ya!

Take care,
David

Afternoon All,

I have been extremely lazy today and have done nothing except my laundry (everyone does their own here). Daughter came by today, and her and MOH went to shopping for the grand kids birthdays (Jul 7 & 9). Tomorrow we are watching the grand kids again until late. Saturday we are going out to supper at Longhorns for Dad's Fathers Day get together.

Eric- Excellent job on the kit. You're probably like me and much harder on yourself than others are.

Toot- I liked both but I really liked the Barron Falls video.

Joe- Here you go:

Company Brand S/N Color
Plaid Apple Barrel 21390 Khaki
DecoArt Americana DA180 Asphaltum

I have a Jo-Ann's very close to me so I go there, but any large craft store would probably stock it. I have even seen a small selection at Wally World. I would post a picture but since my photos are blocked there wasn't any need to do so. Hope this helps you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric - I have E-mailed Bruce Walthers as far back as the 90's and while I got a response from him back then, most of my more recent ones were ignored. I gave up around 2008. It's almost like they know that they have a lock on the market and don't need to respond, at least prior to 2008. Back in the 90's when E-Mail wasn't as prevalent as it is now, Bruce actually answered and said he would look into it.
If I didn't already mention it, you did an excellent job on Inland/Medusa despite the shortcomings with the instructions. I have one as well, but I no longer recall what went down when I was making it, as it was quite a long time ago!
That United Petroleum Refinery looks to be quite a challenging kit. I don't doubt that you can do it; it just looks like it could be a nightmare if the instructions follow their usual pattern. That is not one that I have, so I cannot offer any pointers.

Willie

Thanks for the comments on the Barron Falls ride and scenery. That was a big flood that one. The livery on the 4, 1720 class locos (the first diesel class in Qld and the most numerous) was designed by an aboriginal artist, combines tropical scenes with aboriginal tradition (the carpet snakes). Caboolture, where I live, much further to the south, means Land of the Carpet Snake. Earlier translation of the name was Kabultur, which more accurately replicates the spoken sound, but was considered not English enough.

When we get these big cyclones that push far inland, the rain reaches what is called the "Channel Country". Desert with lots of rivers, creeks and rivulets. Becomes impassable. The water finds it's way down to lower central Australia in the State of South Australia, where there is a normally dry salt lake, Lake Eyre. It's below sea level, so none gets out, eventually evaporates again.

Chet, yes, the scenery of Yellowstone Park is unbeatable, but, it ain't got a railway no more :p:rolleyes:.

Louis - Sorry to hear about the loss. How is the team taking it ???

Thank you Chet. They were in good spirits after I talked to them. I told them "no team beat us easily all year, we could have won every game we played. A baseball game can turn on a single bad bounce of the ball. I'm proud of them, I would not want to coach any other team and I would not trade any one of them."

I am interested to see how they respond to the last game. I don't know the standings, but I doubt very seriously we can advance after losing the first 2 playoff games, but I want to show our character and play a good game if the next one is the last one.

Good Morning. Partly cloudy and 76° and heat in the forecast. Went on the grocery/beer trek yesterday. I guess that the only thing that salvages this 2 1/2-3 hour ordeal is all of the pretty young ladies in their summer wear!
Well, I forgot to turn the A/C on in the train shed when I returned home, and it was too hot when I finally went out around 2:00 pm. Took two hours to get cool enough to comfortably work in. Ended up just running trains. OK though, 'cause that's what they are there for. At least I don't have to deal with warped track any more, like I had to in the old non-climate controlled train room that was attached to the backside of my barn.

Louis - Sorry to hear of the back to back losses for the team. I know how hard that you worked with them.
Toot - Great videos of Barron Falls and the scenic RR.
Johnny - For some reason butternut (& acorn) squash has never worked for me. Kind of a drag because we really like both.
Chet - I did see your posting of the freight station a couple of days ago, and I remember it from the past as well. Good job. I like detailing interiors also, even if I am the only one that ever sees them. Your towns are just too clean; I still think that your vehicles and buildings need some weathering!:):):) But you're not alone, the only weathering that I have done on vehicles is dull coating many of them. I need to have a gray primed door, hood or fender here and there.

I know that some of our regulars don't stop by on the weekends, so all of you who fit the bill, have a great Father's Day. Everyone have a wonderful day and a good weekend.

Willie

Good morning. 52 degrees with overcast skies with a chance of rain.

Willie - As time passes, the vehicles in the layout will collect dust. That's about as far as I will go. When I croak, my family might get a bit more for them is they aren't weathered.

Louis - I like your attitude with the kids. They may have lost, but the other team really had to work hard to beat them.

I guess I am going to open my mouth and stick my foot in it. For the fool who said he had enough locomotives, I just ordered one. I did a lot of looking and was trying to find a Northern Pacific F-7 that I could run at the club in Livingston that was a DCC locomotive. The only F unit I could find was a FP-7 which had the wrong number. The Northern Pacific only had 2 FP-7's and they were number 6600 and 6601. All the rest of their F units were F-7's. Also, it was painted in the Modern Lowey paint scheme and I was looking for something for pulling freight trains. Finally after a lot of looking I found this Atlas Gold RS-1 with DCC and sound.

NP  RS-1.jpg Having had excellent experience with Atlas locomotives and also that I really like Alcos, I thought I would give it a try.

If anyone has any experience with the Atlas RS-1 with SCC and ESU LocSound, let me know what you think of them.

Later.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Willie, the refinery is most difficult. So far the instructions have been fine.
On page 1 I'm building 15 (fifteen) of the circular walkways that will go up the cracking tower.
After about 5 hours so far, I only have 9 of them done. But they look good!!
I've never used so much CA glue in my life. Thank goodness I asked Dad to get me a can acetone before I started.

Thanks for all the kudos!!!
I'm taking a break and going for a walk. I haven't been out in a few days.
E.

Good morning all, 65 and some light drizzle off and on.

We had a real estate closing sold one acre of my Moms land to a brother. It went good, he is a little miffed about having to buy it but we have to follow the lawyers instructions on everything.

No longer sore below the neck, will be working on the depot some today.

lasm

GOod Morning! Clear and 63 headed towards96 they say (was 97 yesterday); summer has arrived.
Willie .. There is just about no better place to be in the summer than Southern CA, as far as the skimpy dressed ladies go. HA! I vote for summer year round!
Chet .. That is a nice paint job on that ALCO. Great
Looking loco .. Going to run it this weekend?
Joe .. Got a kick from you saying about the PC green. Worse was the BN Gangreen going on the Orange & White.

Every one have a GREAT Father's Day!

Sherrel - Just got an email saying that it was shipped so it will not be running this weekend. Can't believe how slim the pickins are for Northern Pacific locomotives. It is better that it was 30 or so years ago, but there are still not a lot available.

Good lord it seems like I am way more busy with gotta dos now that it's warmer outside.
I'm working from home today so I was spared the one hour commute in the morning and again in the afternoon.
My daughter is just finishing up moving into a new home. That was a lot of work over the past few weeks.
I have a video project to do for my church to promote a children's summer bible study soccer camp. Last year we had about 120 kids signed up.
I'm planning on a 3 week motorcycle road trip after mid July, so I'm starting to get things in line for that. Gotta do a coolant change on the Harley as well as change the oils and do another in depth, overall maintenance check on the bike. Gotta get the sleeping bag and tent out to make sure nothing crawled into those last fall and died. I have my tool pack mostly put together including an air pump. I have the route pretty much laid out, but have buffer time built in for a few detours. Heading up through Michigan with a few stops, then over the bridge to Upper Peninsula, then west to Marquette for a day then west to Sturgis, SD, turn south to New Mexico to find I-40 west to Clarkdale, AZ for a few days.
Two main objectives outside of visiting friends and family is the major Montana Division layout in Cornville, AZ and the San Diego Model Railroad in Balboa Park, CA.
The trip home from the west coast will be an endurance ride from San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL in less than 50 hours. From there back home to King George, VA will be a leisurely trip.

Back