Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

A couple of comments and a question I forgot to post earlier:

Toot - that QR layout is nice. Thanks for posting. You always have interesting stuff, whether real trains or model rr.
Willie - Our garden is starting to produce now - we picked a half dozen squash and a couple of cucumbers last night, plus a few beans that were ready. Tomatoes are green and growing, but a couple of weeks away from being picked. Peppers are coming along, and strawberries are working on a second crop.

Everyone - what do you use to thin acrylic paints - - just water, or do use more sophisticated methods? This is for painting structures. As always, thanks for your ideas.

Good morning. Ready for a fresh cup of coffee. 43 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Rained most of the night and it is finally clearing up. I'll never complain about getting rain up here. Very seldom do we get a day where it rains the entire day. Usually any rain we get this time of year are scattered thunderstorms.

Toot - Enjoyed the video. A nice way to start the day. HO scale ??

Curt & Garry - Thanks for the comments on the freight station.

Johnny - It's a constant learning curve working with kits and equipment in this hobby. A bit of weathering can hide a lot of mistakes. We all improve over time.

548.gif for the United States Army.

Sun is out, but more rain this afternoon or early evening. Train day planning to work on the elevated platform. My Honey Do list yesterday was more involved than I thought and took up most of yesterday.

Grass is growing enough to be cut every other day, but lucky my wife enjoys cutting grass. Need to prune bushes in the rear yard.

Maybe do some track cleaning later and watch the track cleaning train operate. Usually use alcohol followed by ATC 6006 Track Cleaner applied with two center Line roller track cleaning cars.

Johnny: I use both water and alcohol to thin my paints. But for really high quality work I prefer using the thinner produced by the paint manufacture of the paint I'm using. For wheel sets and trucks, I use the paint straight from the bottle and brush it on using a Micro-bush. For paint fading, I use whatever light colors I have on hand following no special formula.

Toot: Nice video of the QR layout.

That's all.

Greg

Good morning Everybody!

Just got back from the city dump. Cleaning up the clutter that accumulates over the winter. My kids think my house is their local dump. I had my 122 square foot cargo van filled to capacity.

Now I am going to be working on my O gauge layout. I have to redo the entire track plan to fit the new O72 track in. I want to show off my new EM-1. It will be pulling 4th of July trains like this new one I just bought.
s-l1000.jpg

Later today we will continue our little league playoffs. Even though we lost a close game we still have 2 more to play and the top 2 teams from each pool will move on. We play the Braves tonight. They are stacked with travel team players, but we gave them a run last time only to lose by 1. We have improved since then and it would be great to beat them in the playoffs. My team has zero travel team players. We will give it our best, you never know what can happen in baseball. Since we lost the first game we will have to beat these guys twice to make it to the championship game. We can do it, we surly will try our best!!!

Louis: Brings back memories of how Little League was conducted here. Keep your cool, and have fun, no matter how frustrating it gets.

At least the Nationals won last night, although for a while the outcome was in doubt. Orioles losing streak continues, meanwhile the Mets are embarrassed by the Cubs.

Boris win or lose we will keep our cool. I emphasize to my boys that baseball is a game of discipline and if I can't be disciplined then I would be a hypocrite and lose their respect. After losing the close game I told my boys I was very proud of them and we all went home happy with our effort, but still a little disappointed by the end result.

My protest was denied, but the umpire did tell our commissioner that he appreciated how I handled it. I was not only thinking of the kids I wanted to make sure I did not bias the umpire against us if we get him again.

I can't lie, my anger flares, but all I have to do is to look at my boys and I regain control. When I was a player things were much different I was tossed from countless games and suspended numerous times. It was only after I could no longer play that I realized all I was doing was hurting my team. I deeply regret my behavior.

Baseball is a crazy game, one day a team looks invincible the next they look terrible. Baseball is a game of endurance, discipline and above all you can never give up! I'll be happy if the birds can make it back to 500 by July 1st. All we will need to do is make a good run in the second half and we can win the AL East. If we are playing our best come October we might even snatch a world series crown.

Good Mornig Peeps!
Shuffling paperwork today .. Trying to refi the homestead to lower the rate.

It,s 60 at the moment climbing.
Today is forecast to be WARMER than yesterday.
Today
High 90 | Low 58 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 88.5 | Low 53.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

Waiting to hear from hospital as to what time they want me to present myself on Monday morning.
They are talking about another procedure on Tuesday to "block off" one end of the aneurism if the surgery on Monday is good. This whole shebang will now ncompass 3 - maybe 4 - different procedures ... That is if everything goes as planned!

Good morning, 71 with 80% humidity. It was a humid one yesterday as well--we may get some thunder around noon.

Louis-- good luck with the little league games

Sherrell-- hope the medical stuff comes off fine

Woke up yesterday with a sore spot between the shoulder below the base of the neck. I was working on the depot for several hours Monday and afraid I may have overdone it.

Thanks for the update Sherrel, I'm praying for you as are many others, including my nephew who is a Franciscan Priest. He has all the Friars praying for you.

Thanks for the update Sherrel, I'm praying for you as are many others, including my nephew who is a Franciscan Priest. He has all the Friars praying for you.

Louis. .. You just made my day - Thank you and God Bless!
I've not had a Franciscan Priest pray for me before - much less a "gaggle" of Friars!
May they have a "direct hot line" to the MAN!

Dave .. Thank you as well!

Louis-- good luck with the little league games

Sherrell-- hope the medical stuff comes off fine

Woke up yesterday with a sore spot between the shoulder below the base of the neck. I was working on the depot for several hours Monday and afraid I may have overdone it.

Thanks David,

what a drag it is getting old!

Louis. .. You just made my day - Thank you and God Bless!
I've not had a Franciscan Priest pray for me before - much less a "gaggle" of Friars!
May they have a "direct hot line" to the MAN!

Dave .. Thank you as well!

I'm betting he/she listens to us the same as anyone else. God knows we are not perfect, but God also knows in our hearts you and I are honestly trying to be good.

Waiting to hear from hospital as to what time they want me to present myself on Monday morning.
They are talking about another procedure on Tuesday to "block off" one end of the aneurism if the surgery on Monday is good. This whole shebang will now ncompass 3 - maybe 4 - different procedures ... That is if everything goes as planned!

Sherrrel: That's the way they do this, now. As long as you can tolerate it, a step by step scenario is a good way to do it. In any event, we're pulling for ya, and you're on the prayer list. Modern medicine works wonders, and I believe you're in good hands.

Sherrrel: That's the way they do this, now. As long as you can tolerate it, a step by step scenario is a good way to do it. In any event, we're pulling for ya, and you're on the prayer list. Modern medicine works wonders, and I believe you're in good hands.

Thanks, JOE!
KAISER Hospital on Sunset Blvd in LA (so I am told) ranks very near the top of the list concerning cardio work.
HA! HA! .. Not too sure I like the location? If you catch my drift.

Afternoon All,

Cut the grass earlier and now it is very dark and the wind has picked up. The kids are in the pool and I have been listening for thunder. I repainted and weathered a small building that is behind the mainline coaling tower. The good news is I have found the 2 colors to me that match the standard Pennsy building colors. Another good thing is they are both acrylic craft paint (water based) and 99 cents a bottle. I tried the Tamiya buff color but it dried too brownish. Live and learn. I think we are doing pizza tonight since the boys will be here until after 6 pm.

Happy Birthday to the U.S. Army and their 242 years, also happy Flag Day.

Garry- Thank You.

Louis- Sorry for your team's loss. You are a gentleman. I liked the video.

Toot- Nice layout. Can you tell me what the building is sitting across the 2 mains?

Johnny- I rarely use enamel (I don't use an airbrush) and stick with acyrlics, both alcohol and water based. In my experience the cheap craft paint (water based) thins to a consistent thickness using about a 50/50 mix with blue windshield washer fluid (no additives). When I try to mix it with water I always seem to have little globs of straight paint on the bottom of the dish that I don't get with the WW fluid. If it is a alcohol based acrylic like Tamiya or Model Masters I use RA to thin it at about the same 50/50 %. Of course if you want the building weathered (to look dingy) I apply a mix of 2.5 teaspoons of India Ink mixed in a bottle of RA first (brushed on). You can add multiple coats. You can also apply it after the painting. If it's wood I apply it first, if it's styrene I apply it after the paint. When I'm done with the paint I start with the weathering powders.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back