Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Afternoon All,

Spent about 90 minutes on the kit attaching wall bracing and spraying the interior side of the walls. No modeling tomorrow since I will be at the school.

Toot- I could not get your first link to work. The scenery was beautiful on the return trip.

Eric- Good to hear about you getting out and moving around.

Johnny- I used plaster cloth for my scenery. I bought most of mine online at that auction site. I actually bought plaster cloth rolls intended for medical casts. It's not as wide as the stuff from the hobby stores. It is very messy to use so protect the area surrounding where you are working. Have a junk towel handy to wipe your hands. After dipping the cloth let as much water as you can drain off the cloth. I found I got the best results with a double layer of plaster cloth and when I was satisfied with that I wet my hand and rubbed the cloth to smooth out the plaster finish. You can also use a very thin plaster mix to do the same last step. Oh, and if you think you need 4 rolls for the job I found you almost need to double it. Hope this helps.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric, serious offer: If you feel lonely, drop me a pm. You're only four hours away, and things have calmed down here.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I bought the Tomix vacuum/rotating pad car a few years ago and it does work reasonably well. I bought the brass CMX cleaning car last fall and it does work well also. Any loco can pull the Tomix one since its pretty light....the bras CMX car needs a strong loco or even 2 since its so heavy. My personal opinion...the brass CMX car is the better one, heavier stronger construction and will last. The other is good if your on a tight budget but is lighter construction...won't last as long. For the brass CMX one I'd also check Tony's Trains , MicroMark and MB Klien for their prices.

Chet. .. you may wish to check how you phrased your explanation to Johnny. It looks like you said truck mounted couplers a couple of times when it should have been body mounted couplers. For instance, Walthers cars have body mounted couplers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet. .. you may wish to check how you phrased your explanation to Johnny. It looks like you said truck mounted couplers a couple of times when it should have been body mounted couplers. For instance, Walthers cars have body mounted couplers.

Right you are. That's what happens when you get your train of thought derailed. Got three phone calls from the time I started the post.

Considering these two track cleaning cars. The first one, I would load with water to keep the pad moist. The second one, I like the idea of a rotating pad. I'm leaning toward the first. Comments?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272268180455
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322023992482

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Beady I don't have any experience with track cleaning cars so I can't make any recommendations, but water is a bad idea to use to clean track.

To clean track I use my grandsons old cotton t-shirts. First I clean with rubbing alcohol. Then I clean again using this from MB Klein. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Aero-Car-Hobby-Lubricants-Track-Cleaner-p/aer-act6006.htm

I have to wait 10 minutes or so for the Aero Car cleaner to dry or the locomotive wheels will slip, but it's great for improving conductivity and greatly reduces corrosion of the Lionel FasTrack. Lionel's track is not nickel/silver and corrosion use to be a problem for me.

When I am running trains regularly I can once or twice a month. I wish I was running trains regularly.

Right you are. That's what happens when you get your train of thought derailed. Got three phone calls from the time I started the post.

Chet ... I do stuff like that all of the time... Also, I purchased a track cleaning car like that one on eBay for under $50.00. It was used but like new.

Summer appears to be hiding? It has not been above 62 for the past 2 days with clouds and breezy winds. Heater has been coming on at night ... I need another dog on the bed!

CURT - sorry to take so long ... the overhead walkway says 'Riverside Downtown'. I took a different train back which only stopped in Riverside where I had a couple hours wait until the direct Perris train came thru. Here is a photo of it from the walkway.
US outbound loco3.jpg

Toot- I could not get your first link to work. The scenery was beautiful on the return trip.

Curt, if you mean the KiwiRail "Crossing the Bealey River" on P84, that was just an NZR Publicity photo I came across. The Moraca Canyon one has some of the most awe inspiring views, especially because of where the rail line is for a lot of the journey, up near the top of the canyon sides and the river and road at the bottom are mere threads with tiny vehicles. Needs to be seen in full screen to get the full effect if you can.

Harking back to the NZ Taieri Gorge again, found this short 7 minute Drone/Go-Pro aerial offering showing the railway covering the Flat Stream and the Notches section. Why it was called Flat Stream is a mystery, must have been a very small bit of stream. The Notches will require no explanation. Ignore the musical accompaniment, sounds like a Dirge from a Russian tragedy. Once again, to fully appreciate, YouTube full screen is highly recommended. To find quickly on there, copy the video title and enter in the search bar to be taken straight to it. An interesting little bit, is the view of the work camp's site. Nothing there now except the cook's fireplace, but imagine being ensconced there (Google ensconce: Established or settled in a comfortable, safe place:confused:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdksyouVqSU

Well, I did something I've only done about 4 times in the nearly two decades I've been on that evil auction site: Left negative feedback. I paid the seller, and never heard a peep from him. Never got my item, he never responded to a dozen messages through EvilBay. It's like he took my money and ran. I also started the refund process. If his response to that is the same as his response to all my other attempts at contact, I expect it to be a drawn-out process.

Back