Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Beady. Scary that I'm only a couple of years behind you! Not catching up yet. Nice that your wife hired a girlfriend for a day!

Willie

I overheard two guys at the store and was shocked that their generation is wrestling with the same issues we did.

The pop group ABBA was being discussed and "the question" apparently still stands, Frida or Agnetha?

No question for ME, Frida, always and forever.

In case you wondered what all those parts are called:

Attachments

• 17458275_10155200105464345_6583484130760564119_n.jpeg
    17458275_10155200105464345_6583484130760564119_n.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 244
Beady - I am still in shock at your photo! Lots of things come to mind, but not sure they would be allowed here, so I will just wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY and be done with it. Oh, good luck with the basement.
Heh heh. Believe it or not, that's a real thing that some poor sods actually pay for (no, Willie, I never have). It even has a name, although I forget what it is.

The basement is mostly done, now, except for where all the stuff is piled up. On Tuesday we'll move everything from the center to along the walls, they'll be in on Wednesday to finish the painting, and we should be able to put everything back where it belongs by Saturday.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Beady .... Happy birthday.

Louis.... I liked Donald Duck most of all the Disney characters. I bet Karl wishes he had that train. LOL

Gary P ... the Hy-Rail truck looks very good !

Curt ... I currently am using my Heritage 0-8-0 to switch baggage, mail, and express cars at Union Station. No problems with pulling with such light duty.

In case you wondered what all those parts are called:
attachment.php

That is fantastic Terry! Where did you find that? The Monty Python Guide to Model Railroading?
Louis.... I liked Donald Duck most of all the Disney characters. I bet Karl wishes he had that train. LOL
:
Garry I know Beady is a Disney fan. I had not thought of Karl, but now that you mention it, you made me laugh!

I know there will never be a monument built to my memory like that one.
There will never be another George Washington. King George III; The king asked his American painter, Benjamin West, what Washington would do after winning independence. West replied, “They say he will return to his farm.”“If he does that,” the incredulous monarch said, “he will be the greatest man in the world.”

But don't worry, in your grandchildren's mind your monument will be even bigger

Ops session today. As usual, I have been running trains on this layout all week while cleaning things up. Trouble shooting any little issue and fixing it on the spot until everything was running perfectly. Track was right on. Digitrax was working flawlessly all week. Rolling stock and locos worked fine.
Today, the gremlins attacked in force with coordinated precision. Curved turnouts suck. The two that I have are on sidings. They are both coming out. I have had it with them. None of the operators could get trains through any of them without derailments.
Digitrax; I'm convinced now that you can only operate about 3 maybe 4 throttle on it. More than that and the system can't keep the packets sorted out. It would drop locos which resulted in runaways. It would produce throttles that would just go nuts. Message in the screens of the 402Ds that I've never seen before. Example what the heck does ---Ye'ol--- mean? That came up on my throttle screen a couple of times after I lost control of my train. My UT-4D are supposed to be able to acquire a locomotive without plugging into the loco net. Not so. Everytime I wanted to change locos, I had to plug in, otherwise it wouldn't acquire despite standing right under either receiver.
The mainline ran fine and that's where the operators enjoyed running trains the most. Switching assignments in some of the industries were the most problematic along with the Digitrax. When some of the operators retired their throttles, the problems went away.

Ops%201_zpsbjxbmkrm.png

Ops%202_zpsaswltfrn.png

Ops%205_zps5tvwwjrj.png

Ops%204_zpswixufwn2.png

I'm sorry for all your troubles, KEN in VA. I know you worked hard to have everything in working order.

Garry P - I am reluctant to say this as I always praise most everything a modeler does, but your headache racks do not do the models justice. Looks like someone used bridge timbers to construct them.
I'm sorry -- just have to call a spade, well -- a spade.

Garry P - I am reluctant to say this as I always praise most everything a modeler does, but your headache racks do not do the models justice. Looks like someone used bridge timbers to construct them.
I'm sorry -- just have to call a spade, well -- a spade.

Sherrel - you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, all I had for material at the time was 0.060" styrene strip. Down the road I might make some new ones, but these will have to do for now.

I always welcome constructive criticism!

Beady,

HappyBirthdayTrain.jpg

Louis Whats all this nonsense about a Donald Duck train? Did MBK out you under some kind of spell to get in your wallet?

Ken. Sounds like your Digitrax is lacking some muscle. Might need to add more boosters to keep the signals from degrading. OR you just need to scrap the whole thing and get an NCE system!:rolleyes::p;):D:cool:

Garry I have to agree with Sherrel, great effort, but they are a little heavy. The silver paint helps, as it looks more like an aluminum rack, and they are thicker by nature. One question about the trucks themselves. Are they getting any hi-visibility stripes, reflectors etc??? They seem awfully dark in color, ya know, safety 1st!

Thats it for me, put the contents of the 12x12 shed into the garage, filled both bays. De-salted 4 vehicles (Mines, SWMBO, sons 3 & 4) Chipped up a large pile of branches and cooked burgers and dogs on the grill. Tomorrow I may attempt to jack up the shed to prepare it for moving. Then I can begin site prep for a 12 x 24 replacement!

Ken. Sounds like your Digitrax is lacking some muscle. Might need to add more boosters to keep the signals from degrading. OR you just need to scrap the whole thing and get an NCE system!:rolleyes::p;):D:cool:

I have two DB200s along with the DCS100 Master station. I have the PS2012 power supply feeding all three power districts. PM42s with each command station along with the BDL168s, SE8Cs and DS64s. I have softstart components inline with each power district as well to prevent over surge caused by to many locos on the track. The signal system is run by TrainController Silver software on a dedicated laptop that's linked into the loconet with a PS3 Each component was worked into the system very cautiously to ensure they were setup correctly.
Swapping over to NCE at this point? I don't have the confidence to make that kind of investment without absolute proof that it will work correctly. Yeah, I've seen NCE systems working but they aren't tied into the block sensors and signal controllers. I'm very concerned that I would only be trading one half baked system for another that I know less about.

OK .. Gary P., I just looked at your trucks over on the other thread.
I owe you an apology sir! After really looking close, the headache racks are not bad looking. Sure, they are a little oversized, however they are very well constructed and they add to the flavor of your stew. Please ignore the gist of my earlier blurt-out.
Carry on, Sir!

Good morning Rail Benders and Spike Drivers,
Hello Flo & Francine, Things seem to be rather lively here at the Dinner today and tonight. Just some coffee and a Apple Fritter. Oh, say, btw, if a new fellow Eldon should stop bye, his coffee and Apple Fritter or whatever is on me.

I've had rain for the last few days and got another 1.25 inches which brings the seasons total up to 26.65 inches

I have two DB200s along with the DCS100 Master station. I have the PS2012 power supply feeding all three power districts. PM42s with each command station along with the BDL168s, SE8Cs and DS64s. I have softstart components inline with each power district as well to prevent over surge caused by to many locos on the track. The signal system is run by TrainController Silver software on a dedicated laptop that's linked into the loconet with a PS3 Each component was worked into the system very cautiously to ensure they were setup correctly.
Swapping over to NCE at this point? I don't have the confidence to make that kind of investment without absolute proof that it will work correctly. Yeah, I've seen NCE systems working but they aren't tied into the block sensors and signal controllers. I'm very concerned that I would only be trading one half baked system for another that I know less about.

Say Ken in Virginia: That quite layout you've built, nice that you let other younger fellows experience the enjoyment of Model Railroading as well as the frustrations. Isn't that always the way things are running great beforehand and then foul up during the op sesion. That's a bummer alright. As far as the Digitrax system about the only thing I might suggest is to keep adding a loco to the operation till it starts having problems and maybe that way you'd be able to pinpoint the problem area?

Which one of the guys are you in the pics?

The Pride of Baltimore out for a day on the Bay.
11016106_995250243828495_3006491189262061182_o.jpg

Say Louis: That a neat shot of the Wind Jamer with her sails all puffed out!

Good morning guys, thought I would get caught up a little and spend some time on the Forum today.

My life has hit one of those "too busy" periods when the railroad gets sidelined. With the work table on one side of the living room it is inevitable that some progress will be made soon on my potato warehouse and then I will be going on the wire grass storage buildings.

Say Dave:
What in the world is Wire Grass and how is it stored?

You'll get a reputation "here comes that old "Perv" trying to look like an Italian lothario again".

Say Ray: LoL

Good evening y'all. The test revealed that I have two issues with my right arm. 1. Carpal Tunnel and 2. A nerve issue behind the elbow, which is causing muscle issues and weakness in the hand.
Good news, There is no issue with pinched nerve(s) in my neck. Bad news, there may be permanent damage to some muscle groups in my right hand. The bulk of the problem is surgically correctable. Go back to the orthopedic guy next Wednesday.

Garry: Big night for University of Kentucky. Hope they put a whuppin on UCLA!

Say Borris: I'm sorry to hear about your situation but I'm glad to hear there's some hope for you. Actually, it seems I read something a while back about there being some kind of natural remedy for that but unfortunately I don't recall where I saw it but possibly Dr. Mercola on the web might know about it?

I almost forgot to ask, when you were operating the Loco dropping cars off and picking up others, did you ever do so at the, Gel Spice Co. in Bayonne, NJ ? I happened to see where they were located and thought of you making your rounds.

I hope all have a good Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Digitrax-DCS240-LocoNet-Advanced-Command-Station-p/dig-dcs240.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back