Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, it's windy and 28 here.
The ppwer came back on some time after midnight. I can tell you it gets real dark out in the boonies when all the lights go out...

Hey Toot, Maybe you can get a side job?

I wonder if they'll answer to their road numbers? Think they'd mind if I played with these

MOWequipmentQR014_zps687dfc1a.png

MOWequipmentQR010_zpsed3e8407.png

Morning fellers
47 clear heading to 66 today.

I crashed early last night and pretty much slept like a rock. I wonder if all that whiskey had something to do with it. :cool:
I'm feeling somewhat motivated to work on those box car this morning.
A little coffee and I just might do that.
Very little if any whiskey today since tomorrow is a work day.

If I feel like I need a break from coupler and truck work, I can do some painting of parts on the Big Boy.
There really isn't much painting to do.
I can always fill in some details on my engine inventory sheets.
E.

Good Morning All. It's 44 degrees and dark this morning. Weather Underground says upper 70's to lower 80's for the next ten days, with lows in the mid to lower 50's. My kind of weather! Test-fired the A/C in the train shed yesterday. Didn't really need it but I wanted to make sure it was working correctly. Ran trains and did some switching but nothing else.
Eric - Hope that nothing fried during the "1911" incident.
Hey! Where's Chet? We haven't heard from him today I don't think.
Chet usually bowls on Friday night, but unless he's recovering I wouldn't know about yesterday.
Lame - I hear you on the train shops. Maybe that's why I have over 800 freight cars!
Terry - People shouldn't be streaming movies while camping anyway. Isn't that why we go camping, to get away from it all? I can relate to the power outages and darkness in the boonies, as that's where I live.
Beady - Get well soon and don't drive.
Joe - Thanks for the quick response. I was just curious, I'm not taking my remote there.
David - The KCS has been doing it (remote operating) at their Wylie yard for at least five years now. There's signs posted at nearby grade crossings to inform motorists so they don't freak-out and call 911.
Karl - Thanks for the tip regarding acetone and the vans. I acquired over 40 of them a few years ago when Larry (the long winded old fart) dismantled and sold off all of his model railroad stuff.
Well it's off to the train shed for a bit before sunrise. Everyone have a good Sunday morning.

Willie

Almost got my inventory sheets completely filled in best I can. Turns out I have 20 instead of 18 if I count the 1 in pieces that Carey took apart and said was reparable. The other is the European model which is a display only piece that I got from Larry's basement. These are the only 2 steamers I have.

I have 3 units I need help identifying please.
I think the Santa Fe may be an EMD FT unit because of the single headlight. I don't have the B unit.

The blue unit is a "City of Joliet" "Regional Transit Authority" with a number of 101 and under that has B23-A.
101 and B23-A are small and are under the forward side windows.

The little Penn Central switcher I have no clue at all. It does have a makers mark underneath. A circle with a triangle inside contain the letters "ahm". Are they still around?
Thanks for the help.
Here are pics:
P4030006.jpg
P4030007.jpg

Need some more advice please.
Amongst those old boxcars a few have these trucks on them.
This caboose you see, and a couple others, has them riveted on.
The other use short screws - probably/hopefully 256.
They all have horn-hook couplers or they are broken off.
The trucks themselves appear to be metal.
How the hell can I put my Kadee couplers on these?
Or do I have to swap out the trucks and put on body-mount couplers?
One of the cars of this sort has "Mantua" on the underside.
I assume this is the maker?
E.

Almost got my inventory sheets completely filled in best I can. Turns out I have 20 instead of 18 if I count the 1 in pieces that Carey took apart and said was reparable. The other is the European model which is a display only piece that I got from Larry's basement. These are the only 2 steamers I have.

I have 3 units I need help identifying please.
I think the Santa Fe may be an EMD FT unit because of the single headlight. I don't have the B unit.

The blue unit is a "City of Joliet" "Regional Transit Authority" with a number of 101 and under that has B23-A.
101 and B23-A are small and are under the forward side windows.

The little Penn Central switcher I have no clue at all. It does have a makers mark underneath. A circle with a triangle inside contain the letters "ahm". Are they still around?
Thanks for the help.
Here are pics:
View attachment 56616
View attachment 56617
The blue diseasel is a Life Like F40PH.
The Santa Fe engine is an F7, possibly also Life Like, though way too many companies made them to be sure without looking at the bottom.
The Penn Central engine is what AHM called an MDT switcher. I don't know if a real one just like it ever existed. Similar models are available from Bachmann and Model Power/MRC.

Good morning, How 'ya doin' this morning? Happy Sunday. It's 36° sunny and very windy this morning.

Willie and David: While the RC box is considerably larger than your NCE wireless throttle, it operates on the same principle. The signs are placed to warn all concerned that no one is on the locomotive. On rare occasion, the RC operator has lost communication with the RC locomotive, and the effect is similar to when your DCC locomotive suddenly does not respond to your DCC controller. There are built in fail-safe mechanisms, but...:rolleyes: Technology is great, as long as it works as intended.

On the layout front, Yesterday I assembled a crossover that will allow movement to / industries & sidings, using the Pelle Søeborg method illustrated in the April 2016 Model Railroader. I pulled the diverging frog rails from two Micro Engineering #6 Code 70 switches, and spliced in a custom cut section of ME code 70 flex to get the distance from the main track, I was looking for, and it worked perfectly. :cool: I suppose one can teach a rigid closed minded old dog a new trick. :rolleyes: Again, I'm miffed that I didn't think of this on my own. :mad: In any event, all that remains is to solder the joints and place it on the layout. I should have taken step by step photos, but I didn't. I'll do that with the next set of crossovers.

Ken: FWIW, I found the CR ZTS map, of the Edison Ford Plant. 4 tracks inside the building, one to a shed outside the building -tire cars (?), and four tracks for multilevel loading. From a rail operation standpoint, Edison was a very compact operation. FWIW, perhaps I can remember and scan the track diagram into the computer, and upload it.

Toot: Those should have an operator. It's a shame that they can't scale these down to HO, as working models. It would make our track construction and surfacing so much easier.

Karl: Yes, it's lawn season - already - I still have to do maintenance on my mower, and clean the debris out of the yard...

Need some more advice please.
Amongst those old boxcars a few have these trucks on them.
This caboose you see, and a couple others, has them riveted on.
The other use short screws - probably/hopefully 256.
They all have horn-hook couplers or they are broken off.
The trucks themselves appear to be metal.
How the hell can I put my Kadee couplers on these?
Or do I have to swap out the trucks and put on body-mount couplers?
One of the cars of this sort has "Mantua" on the underside.
I assume this is the maker?
E.
I seem to remember Kadee offering couplers for those Mantua trucks, though it's been a very long time since I've seen any.

The blue diseasel is a Life Like F40PH.
The Santa Fe engine is an F7, possibly also Life Like, though way too many companies made them to be sure without looking at the bottom.
The Penn Central engine is what AHM called an MDT switcher. I don't know if a real one just like it ever existed. Similar models are available from Bachmann and Model Power/MRC.

Are you sure about the F7? Mine only has a single headlight which is why I said FT instead of an F-unit.
E.

Are you sure about the F7? Mine only has a single headlight which is why I said FT instead of an F-unit.
E.

Eric: F units came with either a single headlight or a oscillating light and headlight, per buyers option. PRR, NYC, Reading and B&O, for instance, mostly had F units (and E units) with single headlights.

Eric: F units came with either a single headlight or a oscillating light and headlight, per buyers option. PRR, NYC, Reading and B&O, for instance, mostly had F units (and E units) with single headlights.

Thank you Joe.
That makes sense.

E.
Santa Fe added the second light to the F7's in the early 70's. As far as accuracy, no F7's were ever numbered 4015, as this model displays. 4015 was used on an SD39 from 1969 to the re-build in 1985. In 1988, 4015 was assigned to a GP60.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent progress so far. 2 of the old cars are already on the tracks and running nicely.
I should be able to easily get 2 more going shortly.
I'm not sure what I can with some of those with the riveted on Mantua trucks.
I think I can replace the trucks and body-mount couplers on a few of them. We'll see.
Terry, I'll get pics of the bottoms of the F7 and the F40PH units for viewing pleasure and further counsel. :D

.... be back later....

Ummm, Doggies! It is a beautiful day this morning. Supposed to be in the 80's (was yesterday) with clear skies. Possibility of a rain shower Wednesday or Thursday, but we know how that goes - or not goes.
Spousal Unit and I had an "outing" yesterday. We had an absolute feast at an Italian cafe that we had not been in for the past 20 years. We had a $21 meal for two that would have fed at least 4-5 normally. After stuffing ourselfs to the point of almost not being able to walk, we stopped by an RV lot just to take a look at a few motor homes and travel trailers.

Glad to see there is a lot of railroading going on. TOOT is out plying the yards looking for a locomotive to run with his NEC,
JOEis learning the ABC's of building a crossover, ERIC is doing inventory and car repairs, and TERRY has discovered that it is dark in the boonies at night without electricity. Just a normal day around here, lol.

Not like CHET to check in. Hope he is OK!
As usual, I wanted to post a couple other things, but now it's slipped my mind ... oh, yeah ... Nice shopping, KARL.

Eric/Terry - I believe Eric's Santa Fe F7 is a Tyco model from the early 60's. They were made with the single headlight. Tyco numbered every Santa Fe F7 from 1960 until at least 1975 with 4015, whether passenger warbonnet or freight paint schems.
Willie

Good morning, Chet is alive and well. 50 degrees to start off a nice sunny day. It got up to 71 yesterday and is expected to get into the 70's again today.

Yesterday was an interesting day. Got a phone call from my cousin up in Harlowtown, MT. (all Milwaukee Road family) They live in Deer Lodge and he had go up to see his brother and their brand new car, with less than 4,000 miles on it totally died. They wanted to know if I had any ideas because I was a car nut. I had planned on doing some flying any way, so I flew up to Harlowton, with my laptop in hand to plug into the car. When I got there I plugged in and the ECU was dead, wouldn't communicate at all. They called the dealership and they agreed to send a wrecker up to bring the car back but my cousin and his wife along with their kid had no way home so I flew them back to Deer Lodge. Both towns have a small air strip.

Got to do some flying and managed to help some people out at the same time.

Sounds like Karl made off like a bandit at the estate sale. Wouldn't mind coming across some deals like that.

Toot - Nice photos. What are those used for ???

Terry - Sounds like an interesting camping trip. Really had to rough it with no power.

Joe - I really enjoy you sharing your railroad knowledge with us. Thanks.

Guess I have some breakfast and get ready for the NASCAR race.

Morning All,

Did some stuff around the house this morning and I'm planning on running trains later. We got an email today that says we aren't needed in the school library on Monday, so no plans except maybe the grocery store.

Chet- That must be cool being able to fly to wherever without all the hassle us mere mortals have to endure. Do you own the plane?

Joe- Can you take a picture of your track modification? I am having problems visualizing what you did.

BigE- What I do when there will be fumes is turn on a floor fan on one end of the room (pointed towards window) and open a window at the other end. It's cheap and works pretty well.

Karl- Congrats. That sounds like a great haul.

Terry- Hope you stay safe.

Willie- I tried downloading from the inventory link twice and all I got were the pain in the a** add on programs.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Curt - I don't own a plane, but do have access to a number of them. It's a pretty tight community at our airport and i have done some restoration work on a number of old cars for quite a few plane owners and I guess what goes around, comes around. I have some really good friends out there and a lot of us have the same interest on classic cars.

Curt - I don't own a plane, but do have access to a number of them. It's a pretty tight community at our airport and i have done some restoration work on a number of old cars for quite a few plane owners and I guess what goes around, comes around. I have some really good friends out there and a lot of us have the same interest on classic cars.

You are a very fortunate person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back