Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, Ha, Terry -- I bet you would!

It's 77 here today under a deep blue overcast. Was only supposed to be 71, but they say it will be into the 80's by first of week.
Of course .. no rain anywhere close .. El Nino no workee around here this time around.

Glad to see the shop is alive and well!

YAY!!!! The work day is don!!!
Liquor in the freezer chilling and beer in frig.
Except for getting some groceries tomorrow morning, I'm set for the entire weekend.[
E

Evening All,

Well the plumber came to just shy of $300. I was in the wrong profession! That was replacing the valve and unplugging the toilet. Our eldest grandson sprained his ankle playing on Mom's treadmill last night so he spent the day with us. Tomorrow he is in a Chorus program we are going to in the afternoon, so no train club this week. Since we had our grandson today we did not make it to the school library, but will be going on Monday.

Willie- Thanks for the information. When I read your post the plumber was already here.

Toot- Great looking bridges.

Karl- That's too funny.

LASM- Nice looking loco. To my untrained eye it looks like a GP7.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks, Terry. I found the mounting tabs and think I will keep mine black. Is it typical to have a couple doors open, the way #1774 came?

Your Q made me dash out to check the P2K SD38-2 I've got in C&NW to see if it's door opens, I can see that it is well defined with a groove around the door, but I'm not game to see if I can prise it open. My P2K Alco PA1's have opening inward, doors on the cab side and also in the ends within the diaphragms, all spring loaded to hold them shut. Yours may have been modeller retrofitted.

Your Q made me dash out to check the P2K SD38-2 I've got in C&NW to see if it's door opens, I can see that it is well defined with a groove around the door, but I'm not game to see if I can prise it open. My P2K Alco PA1's have opening inward, doors on the cab side and also in the ends within the diaphragms, all spring loaded to hold them shut. Yours may have been modeller retrofitted.
I can't answer for sure about a Proto SD38-2, as I don't think I've ever seen one. I know the older stuff in the brown boxes sometimes had opening doors and cooling fan louvers.The old FA2 had a radiator fan that would rotate because it had a drive that ran off one of the flywheels.

Terry, it's ok you are out of engines for me.
I definitely need to fix those railings first thing tomorrow.
I showed it off to my buddy PFC Harris this evening and he said they were catching on the tunnel portals.
I'm not surprised. I happened to see it coming out of the other end.
An engine any bigger or with worse over hang could not make it where my portals are placed in the curves.
Couldn't be more than a couple mm clearance that I saw.
I'd say we definitely maxed out on engine size for my current deal.
What decoder and sound is in this thing? I forget and didn't write it down.
Got any other specs or details on it?
E.

Toot - IIRC, Kato is the only mfgr that ever made a 1:87 SD38-2 (Athearn makes the earlier 'non-dash' version of the SD38).

... Is it typical to have a couple doors open, the way #1774 came?

Lots of the LifeLike-era P2K stuff had opening doors, including their geeps. And I've seen prototype units run with their doors wide open - maybe for cooling? I don't think very many locos of that era had A/C...

BnO_6682.gif

Curt - sorry to hear about your plumbing woes. I've had my share of them, since copper piping was used in my house and our well water is highly acidic. With all our kids' education expenses, we don't have the extra $5K to invest in a filtration system. At least our home warranty service covers the cost of repairing the leaks as they happen...

Ken in MD - Look forward to your plant build.
Thanks Willie! Tomorrow I'll be making a trip to the landfill with the [hopefully?] last of the junk items stacked against that wall. Not planning on photo-documenting that task though...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer for sure about a Proto SD38-2, as I don't think I've ever seen one. I know the older stuff in the brown boxes sometimes had opening doors and cooling fan louvers.The old FA2 had a radiator fan that would rotate because it had a drive that ran off one of the flywheels.

Error, it is a GP38-2. Rotating fans would be great. The doors within the diaphragms on the PA's are a bit useless.

So I got curious tonight about my Bachmann gp40-2 and opened it up to see what I would have to work with to put a new board in for dcc since its just a DC loco. I can't seem to find a dcc board except one that will work but it's only for replacing existing Bachmann dcc boards (which I might get for my other one that has dcc but runs noisy. That decoder board claims to quiet down it's low speed motor noise.
e88fc0f3a908ab435786e3a032d73c9e.jpg

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Good Morning Fellow Modelers. It's a chilly 42 degrees here this morning under clear skies. Going up to 70 later today and will be in the 80's by Monday. No modeling activity yesterday, I just didn't feel like it. Today, I am raring to go...withdrawal has struck! Tried a new recipe for supper last night, Outback's "Alice Springs Chicken Quesadillas". Tasted like the real thing including the homemade honey-mustard dipping sauce.
Eric - That's what I did before retirement, I stocked up on all kinds of things so I can continue unabated, at least for a while.
Toot - Wow, that bridge and surrounding area looks great.
Ken in MD - Been there, done that. Dug stuff out of my dumpster.
Dave - I've painted a few in the past, but in the end they looked the same as the ones I left unpainted.
Karl - Loved the ad.
Curt - Ouch! $300! Yeah, those Shark Bite's work on both PVC and copper...just slide on and leaks are gone. Of course crawling into and under stuff is getting more difficult as the years go by. Sometimes removing old fittings is a task as well.
Well I'm headed out to the train shed for some quality time. I will have to mow parts of the estate later today after the rain Wednesday made things grow rapidly. I need to be sure the beer fridge is already stocked full.
Everyone have an awesome Saturday.

Willie

Morning gents,
Kind of chilly this morning.
I over slept - WOW!! Not my usual 0530 for sure.
Now I feel like I've wasted part of the day already.
Of course there wasn't much I could have done about when I woke up earlier around 0530 so I went back to sleep.

I'll head to grocery store shortly and then it's off to the train room.
E

I'm awake. I just had to wait for the people that run the campground to show up, and turn on the wifi...

Good morning, all.

Today's agenda includes a haircut, grading papers I didn't get to while I was bedridden for 3 days this week (finally recovering from what turned out to be post-flu bronchitis), laundry, my part-time job this afternoon and evening... And if I'm lucky, finishing up that benchwork modification project.

The weather looks to be gray and cold. It's supposed to warm up mid-week.

Have a good day, everyone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Groceries have been shopped and put away.
I'll have another cup of coffee and then head upstairs.
Only supposed to be 64 but I might still open the train room window for a while.
I won't be using any glues today. The ISO will come out for some better track cleaning. Paints... might use a little if I start on that Big Boy kit.
Which brings me to a point and question about fumes.
A few days ago I got an email/ad from Jameco Electronics featuring a "fume extractor".
You all have heard me complain and need to take breaks on occasion on account of the smells getting to me.
Do any of you use one of these things?
Since I and most of my friends do smoke, maybe an air purifier might be better but would remove those nasty fumes that get to me?
Thoughts anyone?
E.

Those are for soldering stations Eric. I'm pretty sure you'd overwhelm one with paint fumes rather quickly. Venting is your only practical answer.

Those are for soldering stations Eric. I'm pretty sure you'd overwhelm one with paint fumes rather quickly. Venting is your only practical answer.

Ok. They didn't mention that. I don't do enough soldering to need one.

How about one of those air purifiers?
I know that would help with the smoke at least.
Those range from $40 to several hundred.
E

Eric - Looks like you and I are the only ones awake this morning!

Willie

Well Willie, looks like we got a few of them up.
Hey Terry, did you all go off camping this weekend.
How come them folks don't leave the WiFi on all the time?

Time to head upstairs. I hear the beer frig calling me for some company. :cool:

Anyone want to take bets I get some unexpected company today?
I'm just having one of those feelings.

Catch up with you all in an hour or so.
Invariably I will have forgotten something to take upstairs with me.
I always do.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back