Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric - The original developer no longer hosts this on his website. He gave permission to a member of "Model Railroad Hobbyist" to offer the download. This is the new host:
http://pdc.ca/rr/freebies/
I haven't tried this download since I already have a working copy. Bill (the host) is a pretty straightforward guy over on MRH.
Willie

I just received a notice I have a missed call and voicemail. The area code leads me to think it was Sherrel. I can't retrieve the voicemail, service is too bad. Wifi here is bad, and cell service is worse. Maybe one bar on the phone. If it's important, an email or PM will probably get through better than a call.

It was me, Terry. I was not aware that you had hit the open road (possibly looking for those flat creatures that live on the road).
Anyway, was just going to yak at you about your camping. It will wait till you return. No problem.

It was me, Terry. I was not aware that you had hit the open road (possibly looking for those flat creatures that live on the road).
Anyway, was just going to yak at you about your camping. It will wait till you return. No problem.
We had possum bog last night, and supposed to be pot luck tonight.

Eric - OK, I just tried the download from the second site and there were no problems for me. I didn't have this latest version. Kept all of my original data intact...good thing since I had 600+ freight cars loaded. No ads while downloading. That may be because I have AdBlocker on this computer.
Willie

Eric - OK, I just tried the download from the second site and there were no problems for me. I didn't have this latest version. Kept all of my original data intact...good thing since I had 600+ freight cars loaded. No ads while downloading. That may be because I have AdBlocker on this computer.
Willie

Ok, I just installed it. I'll tinker with it later.
I still need to collect the data in either event.
E

Question for Joe (WJLI26) or any other engineer or person who might know. A few weeks ago I was at the KCS rail yard in Wylie, TX, and saw trains being operated by remote control. My question is, are these operators "real" engineers belonging to the BLE, or are they just a yard hand with a remote?

Willie

Well at least I have a list of the engines I have in my fleet now.
Now it's just a matter of filling details. Like when I bought, who from (if it wasn't Terry), etc.
My old inherited legacy stuff will most likely never make it to the rails here.
I do have 2 candidates I may try my hand at putting a DDC decoder in.
They are still cool enough for me.

.... exhale.... I don't need to do it all in one day.....

As I was talking to Sherrel earlier, I don't think I've given my yard tracks any sort of serious cleaning since I put down ballast last summer. Gees.. talk about being slack!!!
I decided to drive the new 4-4-1100 switcher into the yard (like a real railroad) and it came off the tracks all over.
A cursory glance with only my reading made apparent that I haven't driven any trains in or out of my yard lines in a while - or I've just been really lucky.
Pitiful I tell ya!!!
"You reckon we been slack Capt. Walker?" as they said in one of the Mad Max movies.
I sure have been.

I'm about trained out for the day. That's ok. Them little fellers that pick on me every weekend are about due to catch me outside and haul me out to the field for some a$$ whoopin. :cool:
One of them tried to steal my USS Ronal Reagan (CVN-76) hat last weekend. I told him I would get one of his own an give me mine back. I hope he doesn't remember - not likely.
E.

Question for Joe (WJLI26) or any other engineer or person who might know. A few weeks ago I was at the KCS rail yard in Wylie, TX, and saw trains being operated by remote control. My question is, are these operators "real" engineers belonging to the BLE, or are they just a yard hand with a remote?

Willie

Willie: Good question. According to the FRA, the on board computer is operating the locomotive. The RC operator, is directing the movement, as he would with a human engineer :confused:

Craft wise, they are Conductors, certified to use the RC device to move the locomotive. They may also be certified engineers, working as conductors. Over the years the distinctions between crafts has blurred. For instance, I hired in engine service, (1967), and a some point in time, (1985), I acquired Conductor's seniority. While with Conrail I did on occasion work a Conductor's assignment. Subsequent agreements, and FRA regulations, have defined who gets to control the RC. They are either members of the BLET ( T for Trainman, added about the time the BLE affiliated with the IBT), or SMART (UTU).

Getting chilly here now.
I'll be sleeping in the big comfy bed tonight for sure!
Time for some supper and racking out later.
E.

Good evening. It's very windy, and 50.
A 60mph wind gust just knocked down power lines going in to the campground where we are, knocking out the power.
We'll see if there is enough of a cell signal for this post to get out...

Good evening. It's very windy, and 50.
A 60mph wind gust just knocked down power lines going in to the campground where we are, knocking out the power.
We'll see if there is enough of a cell signal for this post to get out...
Dang, be safe!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Good afternoon Spike Ponders,
Hi Flo & Francine, how are my two favorite ladies doing this Saturday the 2nd of April? I'll have some coffee and a apple fritter.

What does wundergroud Weather have to say?
Clear
79.5 °F - Feels Like 79 °F;

Wind from NW at 3.2 mph;

Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.06 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 79 °F
Dew Point 52 °F
Humidity 38%
Rainfall 0.00 in

Willie: Good question. According to the FRA, the on board computer is operating the locomotive. The RC operator, is directing the movement, as he would with a human engineer :confused:

Craft wise, they are Conductors, certified to use the RC device to move the locomotive. They may also be certified engineers, working as conductors. Over the years the distinctions between crafts has blurred. For instance, I hired in engine service, (1967), and a some point in time, (1985), I acquired Conductor's seniority. While with Conrail I did on occasion work a Conductor's assignment. Subsequent agreements, and FRA regulations, have defined who gets to control the RC. They are either members of the BLET ( T for Trainman, added about the time the BLE affiliated with the IBT), or SMART (UTU).

Hi Joe: That's an interesting observation Willie made and question as well, good to get your reply and info. I wasn't even aware they had the capability to do something like that!

It's just about the same as operating the models but in full size.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joe: That's an interesting observation Willie made and question as well, good to get your reply and info. I wasn't even aware they capability to do something like that!

It's just about the same as operating the models but in full size.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

I'll have take my NCE radio cab up to the rail yard and see if I can get some action going.

Now I'm getting some stuff done and decided to take a break and post some pics.
Here is van Running Bear sent Terry and Terry sent to me.
I had my camera on full zoom (24x I think) from about 18" out.
The caption under the demon says "Lastride".
Kind of sets me to think they should have used it's full-scale likeness in the "Silence of the Lambs" movie.
As promised:
View attachment 56588

Eric,
I bought a bunch of these years ago when Walmart had them,
here's a hit to make them more "normal"
Acetone takes the "art" off without hurting the paint!.

So I was running my two DCC locos on my layout and I have noticed that the Atlas switches cause some problems. Maybe common, I think I had read somewhere on here that they are not the best. My sd40 seems to loose power when it crosses it/ shorts out and my powercab powers down and reboots. And also the switches are closed but my loco's and some cars still go the other way when they cross it. Not every time but a good amount of time. I suppose it might be time to look for a different manufacture for these.

Hiya gang!
Been a busy day. Started at 8 am with an estate auction with a lot of B&O trains. I did partake.....a Mehano 4-8-2 for 17 bucks....needs a little cosmetic work, but runs well. Some Accurail hopper kits , several box lots of little people, animals, auto , fire escapes, a Central valley 75ft girder bridge kit, Suydam kits and of course, other assorted rolling stock. The killers though were the new in box Spring Mills Depot B&O I-12 Wagontop Caboose for 10 bucks, (New they are 50 bucks) and a Spring Mills depot set of 4 storage boxes with the carrying bag for 25 bucks (they sell new for 95 bucks or so) Funny part was, one of the owners of Spring Mills Depot was sitting right next to me the whole time!! :cool:
KenL. I know you can imagine Bill's face!!:eek:

Now the lawn is cut, cars are clean and I'm too pooped to play with the "toys" Well, there's tomorrow. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back