Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.

Karl ... I was thinking about your wife's Chevy and the repairs at 100,000 miles .... Reminds me of my wife's GM car at about 100,000. ... It cost a lot of $'s to get it to run right with nearly all of it for the electronic stuff. It needed a new computer, replacement sensors, etc. ... However, mechanically, all was fine, and we decided to keep the car. We spent over $1,000 at the time, but now it has 155,000 miles. It runs fine. It is reaching time for yet another set of tires.

I really can't complain too much about GM cars. We had a 1996 Buick Regal with the 3800 V-6 in it and it was a great car. We ran it until around 220,000 miles on it and sold it to a friend. We usually averaged around 30 mpg on it. We did next to nothing to it. One O2 sensor, an alternator and besides normal maintenance such as oil changes and belts, nothing. After we sold the car, the owner put another 90,000 miles on it until some jackass backed into it right at the B pillar, which totaled it.

My Buick 2005 LeSabre has also been an excellent car. It still is under 80,000 miles, but it is a fantastic highway cruiser. At first I wasn't interested in it, but we got it in 2006, the year after the LeSabre was discontinued but got over $8,000 off. I was finally sold on at after a trip to Reno, NV where it averaged almost 33 mpg running near 80 mph on the interstate and the ride was fantastic.

Unfortunately, I'll probably never own another NEW GM car as they seem to be more interested in selling technology instead of a good, comfortable dependable car. I have no use for all of the electronic crap thet they are putting in their new cars such as touch screen infotainment systems, Wi Fi and other garbage that I don't need in a car. It wouldn't be bad if they gave the buyer a choice, but many of these features are now standard and they expect you to pay for them even if you don't want or need them.

Evening All,

Been raining on and off all day and we had thunderstorms early this morning (woke me up).

Chet- Nice looking jeep. What year is it?

Ken- Always a good feeling to put power to track for the first time and it works.

Karl- I feel your pain with the car.

Dave- That is a lot of work with the track, but it looks wonderful.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. It's sunny and 65.
My week of Mondays continued today with a letter from my bank. It seems an unknown merchant incurred a security breach between September of last year, and March of this year, and our card numbers were involved. Our cards are being canceled, and we will need to contact every place that has our card numbers on file, and change the info. Personally, "unknown merchant" is not going to fly. I want to know specifically which merchant, so I know to use cash only, or not even to do business with them at all. This is about the 6th time in the last 2 years this has happened.

I mentioned about my Uncle Jim last night. My aunt just sent the following update moments ago.
This is not sounding good at all.

Still at Memorial tonight. They did the full vascular scan late yesterday and he said they should have results today - not sure if he has heard yet or not. Today they biopsied the lung and the doctors expect that to confirm it is malignant. Jim watched that and commented to the dr that it looked it invaded a lymph node - they did not confirm or deny. They kept him there tonight to monitor the lung and make sure it didn't collapse or have other complications. Jim thinks they will have a biopsy report tomorrow. They will do another chest X-ray before releasing him.

Everything is wait and see, but the lung problem seems very bad. Jim told his vascular surgeon he could not discuss surgery now until the testing and treatment plan for the lung were finalized.
If the lung diagnosis gives him only weeks or months left he would not go through another leg surgery. He does agree to have chemo, radiation for the lung.

So probably next step is a pet scan, and an outpouring of prayer for the best outcome.

Good afternoon spike drivers,

Good Wednesday
David (Trussrod) - As Chet has mentioned, "Old Timers Disease"; that was Beady who talked about his unsteady hand, not Justin. Regarding SS, I just don't need it yet, so I haven't bothered to apply. I have to wait until I'm 66 for full benefits anyway. I just don't have as much in the modeling budget as I used to. Knowing what was eventually going to happen (retirement), I stocked up on lumber, structures, track, rolling stock and accessories for 6 years before I actually retired.

Willie

As far as your WW build, your probably correct about it being Beady, but Justin also said what I mentioned it might hold some relevance?

Hmmmm as in unsteady hands are we talking about the building of my road among other things? You may very well be onto something here.....

Justin

Good evening track layers and spike drivers, A little earlier this afternoon I decided I'd better get out and do some more weed trimming as it seems they just keep growing. LoL I was tired earlier and now after eating a big Krusteaz Pancake and now I'm really feeling relaxed.

Say Joe or others: I'll bet there are a number of RR jokes you've heard that us members would enjoy. Kindly tell a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning gents,
45 and mostly cloudy here. Only heading to 65 today.
Apparently we got a little rain last night. From what I can see this morning, the clouds are moving mighty fast from the west.
A high-wind advisory kicks in around 0800 I just heard.
E.

Good morning, Eric... Preyers for Uncle Jim

Everybody else: Wake Up !

Here it is cooler than normal 48 degrees now, and high will be 62 degrees. Sunny today.

Chet .... Athearn is announcing they will produce a model of a Northern Pacific Z-8 Challenger

Good Morning Folks. 54 degrees and clear here this morning, going up to 80 later. Had a good day yesterday outdoors, got the next segment of yard mowed and weedeated. Cut down another tree, stacked some firewood and started putting up my tomato cages. My green pea plants are over 3' tall (tallest ever) and covered with pods. Should start picking tomorrow or Saturday. Even helped my neighbor repair his tractor/planter, although he did the hard work and all I had to do was insert a large cotter pin while he held parts in place. Today I will be freezing some of the broccoli that I have been picking. Did very little in the train shed, changed out a few more cars to metal wheels that I picked up Tuesday. Surprisingly I am not too wore out today after that flurry of activity.
Eric - Prayers for your uncle Jim.
Chet - Robin eggs are some of the prettiest ones around. Glad you kept the nest.

Everybody have a fine day and "Feliz Cinco de Mayo". It's a big day here in Texas. Voy a comer un montón de fajitas y beber mucha cerveza. Yeah, I do speak Spanish too.

Willie

Good morning, y'all. 47°, and cloudy.

Eric: Sorry to hear about your Uncle Jim. He is added to our prayer list.

Good Morning, 40 and light rain.

My week of Mondays continued today with a letter from my bank. It seems an unknown merchant incurred a security breach between September of last year, and March of this year, and our card numbers were involved. Our cards are being canceled, and we will need to contact every place that has our card numbers on file, and change the info. Personally, "unknown merchant" is not going to fly. I want to know specifically which merchant, so I know to use cash only, or not even to do business with them at all. This is about the 6th time in the last 2 years this has happened.

I have had two cases of this with the card number being compromised in the last two years. My wife and I both have our own card from the same bank and mine is the one getting compromised. Hers has not been affected. That narrows it down a bit.

They won't tell us the merchant name, either. Since we don't have any automatic withdrawls from the bank card, it doesn't affect us as severely.

Good morning. We're warmer this morning at 45 degrees with an other afternoon expected to be in the mid to high 70's.

Cinco de Mayo. My wife's birthday. Little hints like this help.

Had to keep the eggs Willie. Although the robins can make a mess I couldn't see tearing out the nest (until the chicks are old enough to fly and move on).

Curt - The body of the Jeep is a '47, but not much else is. Has a little 327 under the hood with an array of aftermarket parts. Could have it sold too. Looks like there could be a bidding war. That's one reason I like to drive the old classics. They get pretty good exposure. We have people from all over the country going through this area heading to Yellowstone Park.

Garry - Yes, I did see that Athearn is bringing out a Northern Pacific Challenger. Quite tempting, but quite expensive. I didn't pay that much for my brass Z-5 Yellowstone. If it were available in DC only there is a slight chance, but I will probably pass as it is too long for my turntables and I cant see paying over 600 bucks for a shelf ornament.

Eric - Sorry to hear about your Uncle.

Have a good one. will be watching.

Good afternoon spike drivers,
As far as your WW build, your probably correct about it being Beady, but Justin also said what I mentioned it might hold some relevance?

Who, me?

Montanan, Few people know that the Titanic, which sank off Newfoundland on April 19, 2012, was due to dock on May 5 in Vera Cruz with a cargo of French mayonnaise. That's why the Mexicans celebrate Sinko de Mayo on May 5th.

Bought another table and some more grass mat. I have more than everything I need for a complete layout, I've even had the basement completely rewired. All I need to do is move the damned dining room furniture. I'd do it myself, but the pieces are all a lot heavier than they used to be. Can't sell it, can't give it away, can't move it. If anybody here wants a 1927 dining room suite, let me know.

Oh crap!

Good morning Emigineers! It's 55 heading for a high 0f 62. We got clouds this morning and a 20% chance of (cough, cough) rain! Greater LA area may have enough to settle the dust, but I doubt it will make it to here.
Have been busy painting a fence and getting a few other things done outside that have been neglected over the past year and a half. I will only paint about 10 feet a day - so it will take me a while to get it all done. That's OK - as Eric says, "It's no big deal".
My grass area, front and back, is really looking bad. I desperately need to clean out or replace almost all of the sprinkler heads. Most of them are not letting the water (little that I am allotted, go where it's needed.
I got the garage (my workshop and general storage area) cleaned up enough to again start on several woodworking projects that have been languishing. Now, if I can just get people to stop wanting me to make stuff for them, I might have a little time for myself (yeah, dream on). On the other hand I guess that it's nice to be wanted for something.
ERIC- sorry to hear about U. Jim. I'll just say that I pray that the Master's will be done.

GARRY- You brought up a subject that has plagued me all my life. My Name!
I am proud of how it came to be, but there has been at least once or twice a month that I have wished it different. Anyone out there have an idea for a "nickname" to throw out? At my age now, I guess that it's a little late in the game for a name change. Maybe i'll shoot for Skip, Bo, Bubba, or Heyu? Any ideas? GO!

Howdy.

Chet ... Probably a very wise decision regarding an NP Challenger. Actually, I'm glad one is available. I'm tired of seeing Big Boy models.

Beady ... I believe I heard that joke a year ago. LOL

Sherrel .... I just had to retype your name again. ... I think your name is fine, but the dang auto-correct keeps changing what I type. Drives me crazy. ... Suggested nick name ... hmmmmm .... How about "Good Guy"? .... What is a sirfoldalot ?

Eric: as my Quaker sister would say, I'm holding your uncle in The Light....

Another needle-in-the-haystack question from me -- wasn't there a brief exchange recently about cutting the ties between the normal and diverging routes on a turnout so as to change the actual curvature slightly of (probably) the normal route? Did a bunch of searches on the Forum here and couldn't find it... I wanted to reread it again, however brief it might be, for insights that might help in a track design situation I'm pondering...

And now I really need to get back to work...

All I need to do is move the damned dining room furniture. I'd do it myself, but the pieces are all a lot heavier than they used to be. Can't sell it, can't give it away, can't move it. If anybody here wants a 1927 dining room suite, let me know.

Oh crap!

Where I live we can call the Salvation Army Thrift Store and they will come and pick it up for us, even haul it out of the house!

Where I live we can call the Salvation Army Thrift Store and they will come and pick it up for us, even haul it out of the house!
We'll try them next. We've already been turned down by VOA and a local thrift store, as well as all our relatives. I'm not kidding, we can't give it away!

Oh crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back