Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. 52*F and overcast here in central MD.

Eric - prayers for your Uncle Jim.

Terry/Dave - I had my bank card compromised two separate times in 2015, so I know what a PITA that can be!

Chet - that's one sweet-looking Jeep truck! I'm with you on the automobile technology thing - my son and I went to an auto show in Baltimore in January 2015, and nearly every vehicle we test-drove had computers that control how you drive them. I kid you not - one car we tested with a 6-speed manual transmission had a computer that determined when it was safe to shift gears and would "protect" you from trying to shift at certain RPMs! And it seems like OnStar-type technology is also becoming standard; I hate it, it's a potential invasion of privacy!:mad:

I had to order new cards today to replace the compromised ones. The bank refused to disclose which merchant it was that let our info get hacked.

I had to order new cards today to replace the compromised ones. The bank refused to disclose which merchant it was that let our info get hacked.

Does the bank possibly not know? I seem to recall that our credit union, after discovering cards of ours were compromised (and correcting the problem by issuing new cards and of course reversing fraudulent charges) indicated that they didn't know for sure the source of the compromise. But that might be a different situation.

This has happened to us several times in recent years. It is a PITA as Dave/LASM notes, but I have to say we've always gotten very helpful response from our credit union in dealing with the aftermath.... Doesn't make it easier to deal with the lost time and anxiety, of course.

Another scam that was going around briefly last year... Itinerant fraudsters were actually putting some kind of gizmo on the ATM key pads that were difficult for an unsuspecting user to detect -- and the gadgets were able to steal the number and PIN data in the process! I now inspect EVERY ATM I use very carefully before punching in the information...

Well, TERRY- That sure not very nice of them. Kind of makes me think that they really don't know?
I've been hit a couple times over the last 5 years ... once on a credit card and once on an atm card. Both notified me within a few hours of the transactions and made good on the charges/withdrawal. I am now very careful and limited to where I use the atm card. I think that the spousal unit has been tapped a couple times as well over the same period. We use separate cards and banks just for that reason.

Eric/Dave(lasm)- exactly -- though I'm not too shabby at the poker table, I have lost the patience to sit at the tables the time involved for the tournaments .. and that is what I was best at. If you want to make it near or too the final table - you have to fold a lot!

Chet- good to see you back! Wish I could get your gas milage on my vehicles. Wife has a 2006 Pacifica that won't get over 18 mpg driving slow, fast, uphill, downhill, level, being towed, or sitting still!

So, probably some of you folks have heard about the fire in Alberta, in Fort MacMurray (heart of the oil sands). It's burned well over 2000 buildings, forced the complete evacuation of a city of 100,000 people, and is something like 8 times bigger today than it was yesterday.

This is dashcam footage from one of the guys evaucuating town. Keep in mind that there's ONE highway out of town. This is just completely stunning and terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC2iPvXAggM&feature=youtu.be

If that was my case, I would be inclined to refuse to disclose why I'm closing all my accounts with said institution immediately.

If they simply don't know or can't figure it out, that's another thing.

I have been close up and personal to a major forest fire and they can scare the crap out of you. I saw reports of this on the news this morning and was sorry to hear that so many had lost their homes.

Thanks for posting CN

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,
Nothing to report today.

I saw that fire on the news last night. It looked like they were in hell.

Eric- Prayers for your Uncle.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have had the bank call before and tell me they suspect fraudulent charges have been made on my card. When I ask which one so I can clarify they say the don't know. I guess they have a 3rd party that notifies them if anything strange happens. Last year I had 4 different debit cards.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Good evening. It's raining and 44. Yes, 44 Degrees. Fahrenheit...

This afternoon, I had an extremely disturbing phone call from a person purporting to be "Ron", from Dell Tech Support. He asked if I was me, by name, verified my email address, Dell account number, the service tag, serial number, purchase date, and model of a Dell computer I had purchased last December. He told me all these things, with all correct info.
Then, he launched into telling me my computer had been hacked, and it was vital I allow remote access to my computer, so he could track down the hack or virus, and eliminate it, as all my personal info was at risk. After I informed him I had returned that computer in January, and currently did not own any computers from Dell, or even any computers that had any version of Windows as their primary operating system, he then told me my wireless network had been hacked, and I needed to allow him to find and plug the security breach in my system, and protect it from hackers and scammers. He got a little bent out of shape when I told him I thought I was talking to a scammer at the time. After I got tired of him telling me how badly my computer was compromised, and if anything happened, they didn't want to hear about it, I hung up on him, and called Dell back directly.
Obviously, no one from Dell had called me. The only thing they could tell me was an employee or contractor for Dell had provided the scammer with my info. That is NOT what I want to hear.
More details later, now that I'm home, and can spend some quality time chatting with someone from Dell.

Eric: as my Quaker sister would say, I'm holding your uncle in The Light....

Another needle-in-the-haystack question from me -- wasn't there a brief exchange recently about cutting the ties between the normal and diverging routes on a turnout so as to change the actual curvature slightly of (probably) the normal route? Did a bunch of searches on the Forum here and couldn't find it... I wanted to reread it again, however brief it might be, for insights that might help in a track design situation I'm pondering...

And now I really need to get back to work...

Answer, yes. Very brief as I recall. April '16 Model Railroader contains an article on modifying Micro Engineering #6 switches to allow diverging curvature.

Okay, just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Dell. The guy that answered the phone wasn't very happy sitting in the hot seat.
I had him change my email address of record, add two additional security questions, and had him input the answers, and added a two-step verification process to any purchases, as well as restricted the shipping of any orders to my home address of record.
I had him do this on the off chance there was something on my computer. I did change my account password, as well. I could have simply closed the account, as there is no balance, but it comes with several perks I use in conjunction with my job.
We'll see how it goes. Two different accounts compromised in two days is not good...

Good evening.

It takes me a while to collect my thoughts, especially when tired. Today was super busy, Started out doing bills and other first of the month stuff, then went searching for my missing Blood Pressure Meds, [ordered Monday, re-ordered Wednesday, still not ready Thursday]. Then wife and I left for Dentist, where we both had clean and inspect appointments. Then we went to finalize re-carpeting two bedrooms. After that we went grocery shopping, and finally to the pharmacy to pick up long delayed meds. Whew!
Turns out the Doctor is away this week, the person who retrieved the message, just put it on the doctor's desk. Been going to this practice for a long time, but maybe it's time for a change... In any event, by the time we got home and put everything where it belonged, it was time for a long nap. Now my circadian rhythm will be out of wack.

Good afternoon track gang,

I'm supposed to get some rain according to the weather and felt I should get back up on the roof to check things over as I had a couple of patches blow down but my Left knee was bothering me from weed waking yesterday so I didn't feel like climbing the ladder to get up there. I've put up a fair number of extra patches, here and there, so one or two of them could have blown down and not be of any great importance?

I just spent the last a couple of hours to write a post and pressed the back arrow and lost 99% of it! Arrh.
The auto save only brought back a small portion of it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back