Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's are usual morning crowd?
Allow me.....
coffee_pot.jpg

Good Morning All. A little chilly today at 45 degrees with clear skies. It's supposed to warm up to 75 today and back to the more normal 80's for the rest of the week (month). Pretty soon, 80 will be the low! Got more mowing done yesterday, as the rain Sunday night was rather negligible. Later today will be weedeater time, but first I have to make a 40 mile trek to the doctor for my annual physical. He'll tell me to lose weight. While I am out, I will be heading over to nearby Addison TX for a visit to Discount Model Railroads, haven't been there since January. I sure miss those weekly visits to my old now closed LHS in Denton. Of course with no active income (retired and don't yet draw SS), I can't afford weekly visits anymore.
Thanks to all who complimented in my Wicked Wanda's build thread. I enjoyed doing it and look forward to doing more in the future.
Karl - Nice scene. I like the way you blended the background in.
Ken - I've been keeping up on the auto assembly plant thread, Once your wiring is done, it's all downhill.
Eric - Good luck on the "last day".

Everyone have an awesome Monday.

Willie

That's the problem with retirement, I don't keep track of the days or time anymore!!! Maybe it's the beer from yesterday.
Willie

I know what you mean! Although I wasn't ever officially retired I've certainly gone through LONG periods of nothing to do. Without TV I had no sense of a calendar. I haven't worn a watch in probably 10 years as well.
E

That's the problem with retirement, I don't keep track of the days or time anymore!!! Maybe it's the beer from yesterday.
Willie
It's coming up on three years for me. I lost $500 a month in SSA by not waiting another two years, but the heart attack convinced me to get out while I could; you can't smell the roses when you're underneath them. Anyway, an easy way to tell what day it is, is the mail: if it doesn't come, it's probably Sunday.

Oh crap!

Good morning. 53° and cloudy with periodic rain. Difference is that it won't be as raw today, going into the 60s.

Willie and Eric: I've been retired since 2008, and I'm still tied to a calendar. :rolleyes:

Garry: Cool photo. hard to tell from your photo, but I think the locos are new Gensets.

Gensets at Ft. Campbell - 2015.jpg

From what I understand, there is still a lot of rail activity at Ft. Campbell.

Speaking of appointments and calendars, I have someone coming today to measure the rooms for new carpeting, and I'm arranging for a dumpster at the MIL's for next week. Busy times.

Joe,
Advice on carpet: don't skimp on the padding. Cheap carpet on good padding will last longer and wear better than expensive carpet on cheap padding.
E

I also would say those locos in Garry's Photo were the later NRE Gensets with the taller long hood to accommodate the Dynamic brake fans etc. Funny how the US Army would paint there locos in bright red, would'a thought they would have seen enough of the red coats coming.

It's coming up on three years for me. I lost $500 a month in SSA by not waiting another two years, but the heart attack convinced me to get out while I could; you can't smell the roses when you're underneath them. Anyway, an easy way to tell what day it is, is the mail: if it doesn't come, it's probably Sunday.

Oh crap!
My problem with that is that my mailbox is a bit over a mile away, and I don't check it too often. It's actually in a different county than I live in! Life in the country.

Willie

Joe and Toot .... You must be correct. .... They had the rebuilt GP9's for many years. ...... I was driving, and could not look until I stopped for a traffic light, and then the tree was in the way. ... ( Who put that stupid tree in the way ? ! ) ...

The Army operates its railroad from a connection with CSX in Hopkinsville to Ft Campbell (about 10 miles). The line was once part of the Illinois Central Railroad, but IC abandoned that route long ago . I recall seeing a similar train in 2003 leaving Fort Campbell on its way to a sea port. the equipment was headed to Iraq. Back then, it did have the rebuilt GP9's.

Toot .... LOL.... At least it is not the Red Army.

Good morning. 39 degrees to start off the day with temps expected to get into the low 70's today. A bright sunny day.

Phil - Glad to see you in here. The eyes are still a little swollen, but the colors are getting back to normal. Still have a problem focusing on anything close up.

Eric - Last day. Make th emost of it. Things will probably get better.

Garry - Thanks for the picture. Interesting.

Karl - that is one excellent photo. Great work blending into the back drop. Pat yourself on the back with that one. Kudos on that one.

Ken - Interesting story. Back in the 70's I was a back up chopper pilot when I was a cop. It can be some very interesting work. Sure beat scraping what used to be people out of wrecked vehicles, but with all of the bucks they spent sending me to school for accident investigation, I couldn't get the pilot job full time. I no longer have a rotor rating. I was not flying for quite a few years and finally got recertified about 15 years ago, with an instrument, multi engine and commercial rating, but no rotor. Too much $$$.

Have a good day.

Good morning, 55 and filtered sun.

I know what you mean! Although I wasn't ever officially retired I've certainly gone through LONG periods of nothing to do. Without TV I had no sense of a calendar. I haven't worn a watch in probably 10 years as well.
E

I have never been able to wear a watch, God gave me such skinny wrists that they want to spin around in circles. I used to carry a pocket watch but they would only last me a year at best.

Good morning. It's raining and 69.
I took this photo of the interior of one of the trailers I've been working on. Chet should recognize the map printed on the wall, if he can focus his eye. If anyone wants one, they'd better hurry. Production is limited to 100 units, and this is number 88...image.jpg

Oh, they msrp is $130,000...

When I was stationed in Virginia Beach I would frequent Ft. Eustis. Now if you really wanna see the army trains up close that's where you go. Home of the army transportation corps. The school is there for the army railroad.

Justin

LOL... I am beginning to conclude that I am a victim of false memory syndrome -- conflating some of my frequent browsing through the wide range of Model RR product sites on the web with some degree of wishful thinking. It's a little scary, because I actually have a pretty sharp memory -- for some things -- although it flat out sucks when it comes to other things. Ah well.... Letting go of this particular short term obsession is, I suspect, the better course of action.

More about trains of military hardware to and from Fort Campbell. ..... The Illinois Central did haul it until they discounted service on the line that extended from Princeton, KY to Hopkinsville, and then to Clarksville, TN and beyond to Nashville, TN.

The Cadiz Railroad connected with the IC on that line in a small town called Gracey which was between Princeton and Hopkinsville. The Cadiz RR acquired the line to Hopkinsville from Princeton. The Army acquire the line from Hopkinsville through Ft Campbell to Clarksville.

I met the retired General Manager of Cadiz RR who is now at least 90 years old, and he told me about how the Cadiz Railroad was operated. Originally, the Cadiz RR only ran from Cadiz to Gracey (10 miles). After they acquired the IC line, they ran to Princeton to connect with IC. He told me the Army had a train of military vehicles for the Cadiz RR to haul from Princeton to Hopkinsville. The little railroad only had three old Alco S1's. They coupled all three units together, and each needed a man at the throttle (No MU connections). He operated the lead unit and two other guys handled the other two S1's. .. That is how they pulled a long train loaded with military equipment a distance of about 25 miles. .

Afternoon All,

Did not accomplish much of anything today. Later I am going to the viewing. Not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow.

Karl- Very nice picture.

Ken- I have a 14 ga main buss with 22 ga feeders. My longest length run from the base station is about 35-40 ft without any power issues. It goes through a PSX circuit breaker.

Garry- Too bad that the DOD train was so far away.

Erik- I got Pennsy one from the Café Press several years ago. They are mainly a T-Shirt site but sell other things.

I hope everyone has a good night.

CA David ..... I meant to tell you earlier, I measured the area of my stock pens. It is approximately 24" by 10" .

Regarding the DOD train, the flat cars look like TTX piggyback flat cars. They are yellow and have DODX reporting marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back